Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

The headlight would be nice.  I'd also like the ability to shut/turn off beeps/control volume for different functions.  The loudness of that beeper doesn't allow me to be stealthy in the backyard at night and annoys everyone including myself.  This is likely because i am just learning the wheel still, I unplugged the headlight assembly until I get proficient with the wheel.  

On 5/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, Rawnei said:

Friend dismantled his Shock to find the leak and it turned out the oil seal had become misaligned on the blue (damper) side, he himself speculates that it was an unfortunate result of no compression dampening combined with too low spring rate (he's 90kg+ and has the 62lb spring) and that jumping the wheel under those circumstances created too high pressure.

IMG-20230512-WA0028.thumb.jpg.e1add0fcf97122cc1d2ccdfbb6cf1f98.jpg

Thats a great pic. Can you confirm if the lower grey ring is made of a sponge type material or is it solid as in a bushing for the stanchion to slide on?

Interesting so see LK went with separate oil/dust seals. MTB's use a combined seal. I don't imagine it makes much difference though.

My interest at the moment is in that lower ring..

9 hours ago, Planemo said:

Thats a great pic. Can you confirm if the lower grey ring is made of a sponge type material or is it solid as in a bushing for the stanchion to slide on?

Interesting so see LK went with separate oil/dust seals. MTB's use a combined seal. I don't imagine it makes much difference though.

My interest at the moment is in that lower ring..

I can't confirm what material it is, friend has assembled it now, the shock name is ahx13rc and Fastace used to have a product page for the seals but it seems to be offline now.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

Back with an update. After all the fixes I did a while ago (motor corrosion cleanup, better waterproofing, etc) the wheel has been running like a top. It's put through it's paces daily and is going strong. Regular beach rides, washing with hose, offeoading, lots of stairs, it takes it all. No issues with the SKF bearings and everything is staying tight.

Fantastic wheel once all the kinks are worked out. I gotta read through this thread and see what updates have come through. That replacement tail light seems like something I'd buy when it's in stock, the original one is trash. Now if they can develop a V11/13 style headlight I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

What kind of waterproofing did you perform?

11 hours ago, CDINPHX said:

The headlight would be nice.  I'd also like the ability to shut/turn off beeps/control volume for different functions.  The loudness of that beeper doesn't allow me to be stealthy in the backyard at night and annoys everyone including myself.  This is likely because i am just learning the wheel still, I unplugged the headlight assembly until I get proficient with the wheel.  

You know the beeper itself has its own connector you can just unplug?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrMonoWheel said:

You know the beeper itself has its own connector you can just unplug?

I'm considering installing a momentary switch on my Patton when it arrives so I can mute the beeps when I want to.  I'm sure others have done this already.  I'd love to see some pics or how-to videos if anybody has some for Sherman-S or Patton.

Edited by Rollin-on-1

Yeah, I am aware, just easier to unplug the entire thing, m hands don’t actually work that well with small items and rotating it forward was a pain in the butt, aka I have large hands. This is easier for now, until I get proficient with the wheel, then I will plug it back in .  

26 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I'm considering installing a momentary switch on my Patton when it arrives so I can mute the beeps when I want to.  I'm sure others have done this already.  I'd love to see some pics or how-to videos if anybody has some for Sherman-S or Patton.

I’d prefer they just did it int he software and you have the ability to control the beeps, volumes, etc.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rawnei said:

What kind of waterproofing did you perform?

Not sure if you know the background, but I ended up shitting out my wheel bearing from a 300ft cruise down the beach in dry sand and then washing the wheel with a hose. I swapped in an SKF bearing and found the inside of the motor housing to be completed corroded (not from my activities). To test this I pressure washed the wheel and motor before taking it apart to see where water was coming in from, and it was bone dry. This indicated that the corrosion was from something during production.

Anyway, the RTV seal on the motor halves was not great, so I replaced that with some good RTV. I then ditched the watery silicone paste they used under the bearing dust covers and used Lucas marine grade wheel bearing grease. I've been using this for years and it's never let me down. Then as I put the wheel back together I used RTV on all the possible ingress points; motor wire where it leaves the motor, the area where the motor wire enters the motherbosrd housing, and the motherboard housing cover itself.

I've also checked all the bolts and nothing is loosening up despite my rather aggressive riding, so that shows the loctite was a good call.

Recently I've been messing with the suspension settings to see if I can get a bit more support for going down stairs and stuff. The preload doesn't really seem to do much, but the damping adjusters make a big difference. The stock settings were 6 clicks out on the left, 9 on the right. And for preload I measured it by the flat faces of the hex, so 1 face would mean I turned it enough to get the next flat face facing forward. For both the left and right they were at 50 faces out from full tight.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CDINPHX said:

I’d prefer they just did it int he software and you have the ability to control the beeps, volumes, etc.  

I too wish there were options in the software.  Specifically, to turn off beeps for on/off and settings adjustments.  I'd like a separate option for speed/pwm beeps so someone doesn't accidentally turn off beeps and then have an accident because they didn't hear the beeps.

Edited by Rollin-on-1
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I too wish there were options in the software.  Specifically, to turn off beeps for on/off and settings adjustments.  I'd like a separate option for speed/pem beeps so someone odoesn't accidentally turn off beeps and then have an accident because they didn't hear the beeps.

This just reminded me, yesterday I was riding home from beach (about 25 miles) maintaining 35-45mph the entire time. Had headphones in so I didn't hear beeps, but when I got home I realized the wheel was beeping whenever I'd go up past 40. I'd say I'm a lucky bastard.

I was wondering, does the SS still have a "maximum realistic" tilt back speed of 58 Km/h? The next step being above what it can go I mean.

How do you guys know that you are driving within the limits of the wheel and not risking a cutout? 

I will order a new euc this week and I thought I had made my mind up on the Sherman S. But at least half of the time I'm riding my v11 now I am listening to music and cant hear any beebs, I just trust in the tilt back.

What are the options in terms of rider safety if you still wanna go fast but might forget what your battery level is at or miss judge how fast you are really going?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Poker said:

What are the options in terms of rider safety if you still wanna go fast but might forget what your battery level is at or miss judge how fast you are really going?

v13 when you are doing 55mph, you know it

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Poker said:

How do you guys know that you are driving within the limits of the wheel and not risking a cutout? 

Wheel is connected to Darknessbot on my phone, PWM beeps set to 80%. Phone is connected to my Cardo (helmet headphones). I hear beeps, I stop pushing. 

Realistically with bluetooth and processing lag, you can get up to 83%, or even 86% PWM before you hear beeps. I keep the beeps at 80% since largest spike I have ever seen during "normal" riding was hitting a huge pothole going uphill at ~30mph, a 7% spike. So worst case scenario, I am slow to let off the power, I hit a massive pothole, 86%+7% = 93% PWM, still not going to cutout but getting dangerously close. 

Using audio is a little bit annoying, you have to periodically make sure iOS or Android (especially Samsung) didn't kill your app in the background, and you have to worry about bluetooth lag. But that is how I try and stop myself from cutting out. Works well so far. 

• Like 3

Just received the revised trolley handle from Aliexpress. Easy to fit and very solid. Handle a better shape and much easier to use the the original. I know Leaperkim are sending out packs that include, amongst other things, the handle but I’m in the UK and we seem to get stuff months later than other regions so I thought I’d order it myself as using it whilst shopping is a real pain. Only £35 delivered so not too bad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevebee said:

Just received the revised trolley handle from Aliexpress. Easy to fit and very solid. Handle a better shape and much easier to use the the original. I know Leaperkim are sending out packs that include, amongst other things, the handle but I’m in the UK and we seem to get stuff months later than other regions so I thought I’d order it myself as using it whilst shopping is a real pain. Only £35 delivered so not too bad. 

have you got a link please

It is looking like Inmotion has two different wheels with two different types of suspension to go after the Sherman-S. 

(1) Inmotion Adventure 20": this wheel has a linkage suspension. 

(2) Inmotion Challenger Y:  a 20" wheel with a hydraulic suspension system. 

Both Inmotion wheels have user configurable battery capacities via the number of battery packs installed  (max = 4).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Looks like a new CNC trolley handle and seat are now avaliable

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mscHEjI

New pedals/footplates now avaliable as well

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPFhBQY

but we're getting all this stuff for free from our vendors right (or so i was told by ewheels) ?

This isn't part of the package that LK is sending out for current owners, this is just another option for those who want to accessorize. The trolley handle and pedals that LK are/will send out are different from those posted above. @Steve Evans

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

Discussion about the validity of calling a suspension system “hydraulic” split (again!) to an existing thread about suspension types. Starting from this post: