Begode Master 134V 2400WH Suspension

onkeldanuel

Another great video by Marty. Loving the Master more and more, but that issue with the metal fender making contact with the tire sounds concerning. Hope Begode can find a solution that works at all tire pressures.

53 minutes ago, Wonton said:

Another great video by Marty. Loving the Master more and more, but that issue with the metal fender making contact with the tire sounds concerning.

i was wondering if there’s any risk it might catch a knobby tire tread and cause a stall if it contacts the tire like they mentioned. 

16 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Was it confirmed that the FET is 044N15N5? 

(I saw the video framegrab, which did not show part markings...)

No - this was just a d2pak-7 mosfet i looked at to see if the parameters can be in an interesting range.

Will add a note to my original post so no rumours arise...

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Watching Marty's video... hnng I need this wheel! :w00t2:

The build is even nicer than I expected. The pedal hangers protect the underside of the sides, and the foam cushions are great almost everywhere.

Begode really stepped up here! I'm so excited for this wheel, too.

• Like 2

Yeah, sounds very exciting so far. The only concern from this Marty's video was potential flaw in water proofing of the cloth cable covers, but it needs to be verified in a disassembly video. The aesthetic issue with the exposed/visible parts between the seat and the side pad may be fixed with a duct tape? :-)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, That Guy said:

potential flaw in water proofing of the cloth cable covers

What we can see is a bit of an eyebrow raiser. I'm assuming the cloth stuff is braided/woven fiberglas sleeving. If they don't do something inside the battery case, that sleeving will wick water into the battery case and may wick moisture up into the control module (not enough to pool or anything but I don't think you want your wire insulation to be damp). While Dan feels like the problem is easily solved with silicone, a wick is a wick. It might be ok with a plug of silicone, but that might have unintended consequences too. Without thinking about it much, a tube with gaskets at each end would be preferable to me. On the other hand, if the woven fiberglas is damp, it'll help cool the wires so yeah! It's a feature!

Marty's concern about the rear battery packs when the wheel goes head over heels on a rocky trail is valid—nothing that can't be improved with yoga mats or 3D printers but I would want to add a bit more something back there. Physical damage to a battery cell is no bueno.

There's a macabre part of me that wants to see BG take their power drill to one of the battery cases when it's installed on the wheel, just to see where the pressure will go.

One other thing... do the battery cases look to be structural? They're only held on with 4 screws, but if they were structural then you don't worry quite as much about bending the stanchion.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, That Guy said:

The aesthetic issue with the exposed/visible parts between the seat and the side pad may be fixed with a duct tape? :-)

I thought that maybe the power pads could be installed higher than what the instructions call for?

31 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

What we can see is a bit of an eyebrow raiser. I'm assuming the cloth stuff is braided/woven fiberglas sleeving. If they don't do something inside the battery case, that sleeving will wick water into the battery case and may wick moisture up into the control module (not enough to pool or anything but I don't think you want your wire insulation to be damp). While Dan feels like the problem is easily solved with silicone, a wick is a wick. It might be ok with a plug of silicone, but that might have unintended consequences too. Without thinking about it much, a tube with gaskets at each end would be preferable to me. On the other hand, if the woven fiberglas is damp, it'll help cool the wires so yeah! It's a feature!

Marty's concern about the rear battery packs when the wheel goes head over heels on a rocky trail is valid—nothing that can't be improved with yoga mats or 3D printers but I would want to add a bit more something back there. Physical damage to a battery cell is no bueno.

There's a macabre part of me that wants to see BG take their power drill to one of the battery cases when it's installed on the wheel, just to see where the pressure will go.

One other thing... do the battery cases look to be structural? They're only held on with 4 screws, but if they were structural then you don't worry quite as much about bending the stanchion.

Looks like the cloth cover stops just short of the battery and doesn’t actually go into the battery housing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, That Guy said:

Impressive!

It looks like it's more 0 RPM torque than any EUC released so far, by a hefty margin.
I'd like to see what kind of phase current is sent to the motor, in order to surpass the tire traction in this context.
In this case I'm guessing that the tire tend to lose grip also because it starts to climb vertically combined with the high torque.

Not impossible that reproducing this test could melt or burn things tho.

On the impact when riding, does it mean that there's so much torque that you could overlean at the beginning of an acceleration due to an accidental tire burn-out? :roflmao:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, supercurio said:

On the impact when riding, does it mean that there's so much torque that you could overlean at the beginning of an acceleration due to an accidental tire burn-out? :roflmao:

...especially on mud/frost...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supercurio said:

On the impact when riding, does it mean that there's so much torque that you could overlean at the beginning of an acceleration due to an accidental tire burn-out?

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw the video of the guy that launched himself and lost his shoe. The wheel was face down on the embankment with full power. At the time I thought that it was a questionable design then I bought one shortly after the fact LOL.

image.png.5d15489cd318fed29a469438df6417f2.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

Looks like the cloth cover stops just short of the battery and doesn’t actually go into the battery housing.

Hmm, here it looks like it goes into the battery box (timestamped):

2 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Sweet, Begode said there are self-lubricating graphite copper sleeve bushings in the sliders! I suspected the little grub screws near the ends were hiding something ;) I like that much more than the plastic sliders on the S20/22, for sure.

As you say, better than KS's system but I will reserve judgement on the graphite solution. There are reasons why every MC and MTB use full wet systems, and none use sacrifical graphite for lubrication.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Planemo said:

As you say, better than KS's system but I will reserve judgement on the graphite solution. There are reasons why every MC and MTB use full wet systems, and none use sacrifical graphite for lubrication.

Good point, but I am already impressed that they are at least going in the right direction. I thought initially it would take a couple more generations before they would even get to this point. For the cost that they have allocated for the sliders in the BOM, it is not clear an oil filled slider system would come out better, given what they are capable of doing at this point in time. If you compare the MSRP between the S20/22 and the Master, and what you get for your money, the Master is looking better and better. Just the powertrain performance alone is impressive so far. It looks like low end torque and high top speed can co-exist. To talk about the quality of design, we also need to factor in the MSRP.

• Upvote 1

Reading comments and watching the E-rides vlog see @Freeforester link above. They are saying 2 Master Wheels HS and HT, this is the HT version with Max Top speed 50MPH, this corresponds with @BleepBloopBlop theory too. Will be interesting to know if this is true or not.

Other possible issues pointed out on previous vlogs: Top rubber housing too thin on sides (splits). Plastic handle cannot take weight of wheel so breaks easily and is being upgraded.

Plus Marty's vlogs observations we all know too.

All easily rectified, looking like a good wheel so far.

• Like 3