Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb

RagingGrandpa

9 minutes ago, Chriull said:

As @Kekafuchasked, this should depend on how thick/protective the encasings of the exposed batteries are compared to the just wrapped batteries covered by some ?thin plastic shell? as usually done with many wheels.

Or depending on the detailed contruction they could be "just" as dangerous?

i could agree but i never seen a battery damage from falling as i seen with s18, even the ultra abused RS family wheels . but maybe is just me ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EMA said:

first EX with 2700wh is 38kg

Last gen M24pro is 40kg

this shit is 47kg (abrams brother at 45kg)  ... unbuyable to me :facepalm:

Aha, I took the "rough weight" from Begodes specs. What ever that mean :D.

I have not tried anything heavier than V11 which is around 27 kg, going +20kg from that, about 75% more weight seems to heavy.

From the specs i rather go with S20 with:

S20 130 mm vs EX2 80 mm suspension travel

S20 36 kg? vs  EX2 47 kg

S20 2220 wh vs EX2 2020 wh (Maybe the 2020wh LFP is usable further down % so maybe same range)

LFP might be safer during failure.

The problem I see is they don't fix the reason of fire just make it less dangerous during failure.  The failures from my understanding is due to unsafe design of everything around the battery and not due to the chemistry. 

• Like 2

I genuinely thought it was a joke but unfortunately it wasn't. The first EX was the most powerful suspension euc, 40mph top speed, paired with a beautiful design. This EX 2 has nothing to do with the first EX, is heavier and slower.... Hard pass!!! As a matter of fact, im getting extra parts for my EX, i ain't decommissioning it anytime soon with all these slow ugly suspension wheels announced for 2022....  I love begode wheels but I don't follow on this one and I'm disappointed by this. I was expecting a natural iteration and instead got something completely off. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 3

I actually really like this idea aside from the weight. 

It's definitely a kneejerk reaction to the begode fires, but there's a lot of benefit that LiFePo cells bring to an EUC despite the weight increase. If this wheel is designed to be truly solid then it could be an incredible wheel for safety and reliability (although there's a good chance Begode will screw up with some obvious bad design like always). 

This ugly duckling has potential for a great ride with that torque motor + suspension and the batteries wont be as susceptible to voltage sag which is a huge plus. 

Sadly I can already see that it will sell badly just like the EX did and will never get whatever love it might actually deserve.

I really hope Begode doesn't just end up seeing people turn their nose up at this wheel because the weight is high and the nominal watt hours are low. In that case they'll probably just end up going back to their old ways of pushing the highest possible specs for the lowest price with the lowest quality. 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 4:15 AM, ugoaps said:

IMG_20211215_211341.jpg

Looks better already!

Supercurio... lots of vids on the net of nails and drills being driven into these things (LFP batteries) without much effect. I don't think you need to worry about rocks hitting batteries but more about 50kgs of something angular hitting you in a crash.

Still there probably is a place for LFP in EUCs (hot climates, apartments etc) but not in this form. Maybe small 14inch wheels first. You could leave it in your car without worrying about coming back to a bondfire.

Edited by DavidB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wheelyboy said:

Can anyone summarize the benefits of lithium iron phosphate 

Lots of explanation in the RS:RS thread below:
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/25949-begode-rs-resolute-the-first-euc-using-lfp-battery-chemistry/

TL;DR: you can overcharge, short-circuit, and puncture them without causing a fire.

• Like 1

T

3 hours ago, wheelyboy said:

Can anyone summarize the benefits of lithium iron phosphate 

That's about the only thing interesting to me about this wheel LOL

They can't easily burn, even if punctured. And they offer notably better peak/high stress performance.

The downside is only like 50-60% of standard Li Ion battery capacity but the same price/weight/space requirement.

• Like 1

Aliexpress is showing two versions of this wheel.   One 100v.  One 116.8v.  I guess its safer batteries or range, your choice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003696008251.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.1.6f2f2b82BHIxNb

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paradox said:

Aliexpress is showing two versions of this wheel.   One 100v.  One 116.8v.  I guess its safer batteries or range, your choice.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003696008251.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.1.6f2f2b82BHIxNb

Saw this also, I the EX2S is 3600 wh and $3649...are you sure it's not LiFePO4?

1 minute ago, PharmaCyclist said:

Saw this also, I the EX2S is 3600 wh and $3649...are you sure it's not LiFePO4?

I am not sure the 3600wh version is not LiFePO4.  It does more closely resemble the Monster Pro and Commander at 100V though.

• Like 1

Guys, if the form factor and weight is the same, it's either 2040Wh LFP or 3600Wh with the standard Li Ion chemistry.

You'd need a ton of extra battery space for 3600Wh LFP, which does not seem to be there. The wheel would weigh like 10kg more, but both versions are listed as 47kg. The 100V vs. 116.8V also hints at that - why have different voltages if both are LFP? It's most likely just 3600Wh of the old non-LFP chemistry.

I'm afraid your hopes for 3600Wh LFP are futile.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Guys, if the form factor and weight is the same, it's either 2040Wh LFP or 3600Wh with the standard Li Ion chemistry.

You'd need a ton of extra battery space for 3600Wh LFP, which does not seem to be there. The wheel would weigh like 10kg more, but both versions are listed as 47kg. The 100V vs. 116.8V also hints at that - why have different voltages if both are LFP? It's most likely just 3600Wh of the old non-LFP chemistry.

I'm afraid your hopes for 3600Wh LFP are futile.

I think this is most likely correct but I still want confirmation on all details from the manufacturer.  I'm not sure anyone is hoping for the EX2S to be LiFePO4 since it seems unlikely, just wanting to confirm either way.  Wheel Riders Store wasn't even sure if the EX2 model itself is LiFePO4 yet.  

Maybe the "S" suffix means standard/Li-ion cells.  That seems very possible.

Edited by PharmaCyclist
  • Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Begode EX2 116V 2040wh: suspension, LFP cells, 104lb; also EX2S 100V 3600wh