Begode Rs Resolute, the first EUC using LFP battery chemistry?

• supercurio changed the title to Begode Rs Resolute, the first wheel not using li-ion cells?

Like Inmotion V10f just with 5 kg bigger weight. With more powerfull motor and higher probability to cutout. 28 kg torque wheel with 3000 W motor and 1020 wh battery. we could vote which one this or Abrams will be better cutout machine.

1 minute ago, yoos said:

Joule counting should be easy, you can even do it algorithmically via firmware/software from voltage and current. Every so often recalibrate "full" and "empty" from voltage curve.

Yes I hope they'll do that!
It means that the Bluetooth protocol might need to change however since currently the wheel report fraction of voltage and not battery %.
Or maybe the board will report a fake voltage that gives the % of charge estimate in place instead.

1 minute ago, yoos said:

I would guess that the packs might be expensive and RS is a cheaper and more popular model? Also, the RS was in need of a change since 4 m50lt packs were inadequate, while the EX.N and Commander seem more ok.

Many riders like bigger battery packs to ride at max speed for longer and the bottom half of the capacity doesn't even get much use. The LFP becomes more efficient in this regard. I would be happy with a speedy 1kWh pack for my city commuter use case. 

Ah thanks for highlighting that use case.

Let's see if they also produce LFP based bigger capacity wheels. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skautas2003 said:

why chose this wheel and not v12?

• $550 less expensive (today's AlienRides pricing)
  • More torque (low-speed acceleration, tricks, skate parks, racing, severe offroad)
  • More durable axle (jumping)

TBD if the high-drain lower-energy LFP pack can "sustain 33mph without beeps" longer, than the V12's larger Li-Ion pack. It might be close!

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, skautas2003 said:

Ok then next question why to chose this wheel and not v12?

Yes it's interesting that instead of working on how to design li-ion packs matching the safety standard of the rest of the industry, they kind of gave up on that and switched chemistry instead.

In comparison, a V12 is also unlikely to catch fire since it comes with adequate waterproofing and BMS tech, and comes with 1750 Wh instead of 1020 Wh, 1.7x the range and capacity.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

This seems like a promising development.  I for one will not be a beta tester though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paradox said:

This seems like a promising development.  I for one will not be a beta tester though.

Did the the 100.8V boards, from 84V come with an increasing amount of failure?

The spec doesn't specify if the RS Resolute uses the same black board as the 100.8V or a new one.

7 minutes ago, skautas2003 said:

Ok then next question why to chose this wheel and not v12?

In addition to @RagingGrandpa's bulletpoints,

• Safety! (or perceived safety :D) While inmotion is generally considered safe, the switch to LFP might be crucial for some users. There are enough people (apartment dwellers mostly) for whom the fire risk is the primary reason not to get a PEV.
  • there are Begode fans who like its performance approach: no enforced tiltback, minimal safety margin.
  • the RS is still weighing less than the V12, although the difference is minimal
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, supercurio said:

Did the the 100.8V boards, from 84V come with an increasing amount of failure?

Yes :(

But building competence requires experience. Glad to see the first production 116V Gotway, which makes me hopeful for future maturity of 116V systems.
HT motors that can sustain 40mph safely might become reality soon! (RS-RS and S20)

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

Ugh. 

The RS is a fantastic wheel you can't really buy because of the battery problems.

But 1800Wh to 1020Wh sucks.

Why not just use better Li-Ion cells? *cough* V12 *cough* Is it the Begode firmware or BMS or whatever that can't handle such cells? Do all such cells blow up when the power draw is too high, so they don't really work for such a wheel?

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, supercurio said:

35 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Yes I hope they'll do that!
It means that the Bluetooth protocol might need to change however since currently the wheel report fraction of voltage and not battery %.

Afaik the wheels superfluously reported both - so a change should be no prob.

32 minutes ago, supercurio said:

and comes with 1750 Wh instead of 1020 Wh, 1.7x the range and capacity.

We'll see if there is really such an easy linear correlation. High capacity 21700 liion cells as used by now loose much capacity at high current burdens.

High discharge cells, as eventually the used lifepo4 could be, could show more real usable Wh.

Also by their discharge profile more of the effective capacity could be usable?

I'd not be too much surprised if an real world factor would be below this 1.7.

Edit: or maybe i should, as the official menufacturer range already shows this factor :(

Edited by Chriull
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The RS is a fantastic wheel you can't really buy because of the battery problems.

Hmm... people are still buying RS 1800wh, and loving it. Really ;)

12 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

use better Li-Ion cells? *cough* V12 *cough*

The fire risk is inherent to all Li-Ion cells, including V12.

RS production has seen 4 different cell models used in the last year (M50T, 48X, 50E, M50LT). V12 is M50LT. But they're all similar Li-Ion chemistries, and all carry risk of fire.

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

do these batteries have less voltage drop, so you can go faster longer?

Yes. :)

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Afaik the wheels superfluously reported both - so a change should be no prob.

Are you sure?
I wrote a parser for the Bluetooth data in EUC Alarm: see source code and found only Voltage - which is using 67.2V as reference. No %. Interested if there is.

24 minutes ago, Chriull said:

We'll see if there is really such an easy linear correlation. High capacity 21700 liion cells as used by now loose much capacity at high current burdens.
High discharge cells, as eventually the used lifepo4 could be, could show more real usable Wh.

Also by their discharge profile more of the effective capacity could be usable?
I'd not be too much surprised if an real world factor would be below this 1.7.
Edit: or maybe i should, as the official menufacturer range already shows this factor 

Agree! 
More of the theoretical capacity of the cell will be usable for 3 reasons:

• Because they're high drain / low internal resistance
  • Thanks to the much more convenient voltage curve
  • (maybe) because the voltage is higher anyway

So what's the factor compared to previous wheels using Li-ion?

• Like 1

@yoos you mentioned commuters.

This particular wheel could also become a good option for off-roaders who need a lot of torque and power but don't really care about range.
All the advantages of the HT motor with a higher safety and top speed buffer for jumps etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, supercurio said:

Are you sure?

No. It was just logged from wheellog afair quite from the beginning. So i always thought that's reported and not calculated...

But should be easily seen on github, if that's not one of your sources anyhow.

• Like 1

Tesla is switching their US cars to LFP... some (4%?) drop in range, partially made up for by the ability to charge LFP to a higher state of charge than is recommended for their current NCA chemistry. Reason: probably cost

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/20/tesla-switching-to-lfp-batteries-in-all-standard-range-cars.html

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

• supercurio changed the title to Begode Rs Resolute, the first EUC using LFP battery chemistry?