Begode Rs Resolute, the first EUC using LFP battery chemistry?

Sorry that's not what I meant...

RS:RS does not use 18650GA.

Instead, it uses some LFP cell, of a yet-unknown model.

My available-watt-hours analysis was based on Sanyo GA (common in EUC's) compared to reference information of an LFP cell (via lygte's page).
The point was: EUC's aren't especially high-discharge-rate applications, and so the discharge performance improvements of LFP do not outweigh its energy density reduction, vs traditional NCM Li-Ion cells.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boostnsvt said:

The range is listed as 31-49 miles (50-80km), so I think it’s a combination of the high voltage and high discharge rates or Lipo batteries, that create a balance in operability and efficiency. It’s mainly an assumption because I don’t have a good understanding on how voltage effects lipo batteries, but the large difference in range does align with what I described earlier.

I preordered one yesterday so I’ll be anxious and hopeful.

Let us know how it goes! From when you get the product shipping, delivered and the first hand experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I heard that alien rides received one of these last week for testing. Their pre-order page is still up, for what it's worth:

https://alienrides.com/collections/electric-unicycles/products/begode-rs-resolute-electric-unicycle

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Boostnsvt said:

Screw that company. Their warranty program is a FN scam

How?  I am considering ordering a wheel from them because of their 2 year warranty.

I was removing my wheel and somehow the motherboard shorted (I think the motor connectors touched it, I don’t know) and I was blamed for my negligence and told that I “misused or mis-handling” it, because I did not discharge the motherboard. Oh, not to mention this was after I sent 5 pictures a video and answered 10 questions, until they “found” a reason. It was that I didn’t use their step by step instructions that they never sent me or informed me of and expected me to ask for them. After 2 1/2 weeks of email interrogation they said I could purchase a new one for $350! 

I paid full price for it because I was naive and thought it would be worth the extra $700. Their warranty process worse than an insurance companies claim process. My next wheel will be purchased elsewhere.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, Boostnsvt said:

I was removing my wheel and somehow the motherboard shorted (I think the motor connectors touched it, I don’t know) and I was blamed for my negligence and told that I “misused or mis-handling” it, because I did not discharge the motherboard. Oh, not to mention this was after I sent 5 pictures a video and answered 10 questions, until they “found” a reason. It was that I didn’t use their step by step instructions that they never sent me or informed me of and expected me to ask for them. After 2 1/2 weeks of email interrogation they said I could purchase a new one for $350! 

I paid full price for it because I was naive and thought it would be worth the extra $700. Their warranty process worse than an insurance companies claim process. My next wheel will be purchased elsewhere.

Sounds perfectly reasonable? If you short the motherboard it's not a warranty issue, it's something you caused, or what am I missing here?

• Like 2

Is it perfectly normal for a piece of equipment to stop working when you change a tire? Granted, I’m assuming that it shorted only because it won’t turn on. I don’t know how to figure out what happened and nothing was provided to me to figure it out.

In the same perspective, if a wheel comes with 90v and it won’t charge up, I guess you should of known how to charge properly(another clause in the warranty policy). What if a wheel just cuts out when you are riding it? You certainly should of known about it potentially cutting out! What if you lay it down and the battery gets damaged? Certainly you should of known to not lay it on that side, right? All of these stupid hypotheticals fall under that same misuse and mishandling clause and apply to my situation.

If I’m 100% wrong then feel confident in your next purchase. It’s not like you’re going to be provided with any information about these issues, but make sure you don’t don’t do anything that falls under misuse or mishandling of your new wheel!

16 minutes ago, Boostnsvt said:

In the same perspective, if a wheel comes with 90v and it won’t charge up, I guess you should of known how to charge properly(another clause in the warranty policy). What if a wheel just cuts out when you are riding it? You certainly should of known about it potentially cutting out! What if you lay it down and the battery gets damaged? Certainly you should of known to not lay it on that side, right? All of these stupid hypotheticals fall under that same misuse and mishandling clause and apply to my situation.

You are comparing apples and oranges, if you open up the wheel to do service and you short the motherboard that's something you did, if there is a technical error with the wheel that happens for no reason that's not something you did, do you see the difference?

I understand your frustration but in this case I think you have to take the responsibility and not try to shift the blame, it's not the manufacturer or your reseller that opened your wheel and shorted the motherboard is it? If you put yourself in the resellers shoes, you sell someone a product, customer admittedly opened said product and did something and now it doesn't work any more, would you just say ok no problem shit happens and take the cost? Consider that the resellers are not making a fortune based on high margins in the first place.

It's the unfortunate truth that this is a niche hobby and market, there are lots of well made youtube tutorials for different wheels but not everyone is comfortable to DIY, if you don't have a service center near you that can help that could be a deciding factor for someone whether they should get an EUC in the first place.

You mentioned above about not discharging the motherboard, did you discharge the motherboard after unplugging the batteries?

• Like 1

I don’t see the difference. A manufacturer fault, design issue, or faulty assembly is the same, not apples and oranges.

Of course I turned on the wheel after unplugging the battery, but I don’t think it matters because that was the flaw and you found it just like they did…it was my decision to open it and it got damaged. so I misused it.

• 4 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

"high nickel"... have you seen the price of nickel lately? oof.

.  The article says : "LFP battery cells do not require any nickel or cobalt, which can be expensive or hard to obtain."  "These include cells made with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) chemistry for its standard-level vehicles, and high-nickel chemistry for its longer-range vehicles."  So no nickle in the new battery tech?

Edited by Paradox
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Paradox said:

.  The article says : "LFP battery cells do not require any nickel or cobalt, which can be expensive or hard to obtain."  "These include cells made with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) chemistry for its standard-level vehicles, and high-nickel chemistry for its longer-range vehicles."  So no nickle in the new battery tech?

so... lower cost batteries for standard vehicles but long range is gonna cost us I guess.

• Like 1

I've not owned a car for the past 6 years but if I was to get a new one - especially if buying I would want it to be LFP.

• The lower degradation of these cells makes sense for these vehicles with a huge manufacturing Co2 footprint. A car should last many years and a very long distance.
  • It's mostly okay for a car to be heavier (especially in flat areas)
  • Energy density, therefore capacity is lower but you can charge them faster

Makes sense!

For PEVs tho, I'm sure it could work for some but on EUCs it's a hard sell for now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Woah it is real?

Small battery.

https://alienrides.com/collections/electric-unicycles/products/begode-rs-resolute-electric-unicycle

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 8:19 AM, Paradox said:

Small battery.

It's as expected. Not a long range wheel, but should deliver lots of power. 5A charging on the small battery, which is ok for the LiFePO chemistry is pretty cool too, would expect 0-90% in under 2 hours. Price isn't too bad so I'm considering picking it up as a beater, but would like to see some speed and range tests first.

• Like 1