Begode Rs Resolute, the first EUC using LFP battery chemistry?

• supercurio changed the title to Begode Rs Resolute, the first wheel using LFP battery chemistry?

With their current 900wh packs line up (RS, ExN, Monster), Begode should just supply DIY kits to the public (at good prices) and support dealers in assembling spec wheels. Barrier to entry will limit the Market to those who know what they are getting themselves into.

For the consumer market, make a safe 14”, 16”, 18” wheel and keep the line up simple. 

• supercurio changed the title to Begode Rs Resolute, the first EUC using LFP battery chemistry?
7 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Ohh good job with the historical research.

I need help with choosing an accurate title :D

"Begode Resolute Trades range for safer battery tech"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to derail or hijack, but apropos battery safety, this may fall into either the ‘quick - call Begode!’ or ‘pass the salt’ categories, depending on just how real the tech is; still, they seem to be trying:

disclaimer - no fact checking has been done, make of it what you will, thanks.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:57 PM, AtlasP said:

While obviously safer batteries are a major value and marketing asset, I'm having trouble determining the intended audience for this particular configuration of size (particularly weight) and range.

• Surely the majority of the core Begode crowd aren't going to buy a 1kwh wheel at this point.
  • Those outside the core Begode crowd and concerned about safety already have a range of options by other brands with minimal fire risk, all of which have far greater range-per-weight.

So I think I can answer this. This Resolute wheel with the LFP battery should theoretically be the absolute safest wheel on the market in terms of fire risk, even more so than KS and IM. If you look over at the fire thread, the vast majority of fires are from Begode wheels but there are a few IM and KS stragglers in there. Even with the best engineering those wheels will always remain at some small risk due to the nature of the battery and the chance for physical damage causing a fire. 

The Resolute should have a fire risk of zero. 

So this wheel would be good for someone who desires a high performance wheel and has zero tolerance for any kind of fire risk and isn’t planning on long rides, and is therefore fine with the more limited range. Probably a niche market but it does exist. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Should. Maybe. Told by begode. The LFP batteries have (about) no fire risk, noone knows if the begode wheels with lfp batteries will have no fire risk, too.

As (about) noone knows the real cause of the behode fires till know.

21700 li ion cells can easily burn, but (about) only with begode wheels. So i'd see till now no reason to blame the cells. I see more reason to blame begodes design.

I'd be much more comforable with a major design change than blaming the cells...

I think that is a reasonable way to put it.

• Like 1

I really don’t understand why everyone assumes the range will be lower. With the potential discharge rates it highly dependent on the way you ride. If the Lipo batteries are really good (like 120c high) then it might change the range, however just like the lion batteries the total WH exponentially decreases with the draw, it’s just that the Lipo should have a higher efficiency because the draw is handled better with the inherently high discharge rates. As a result the extremes should be that much greater. I predict you would be able to get as high as of 40mi (80km) or as low as 25mi (45km).

21 minutes ago, Boostnsvt said:

I predict you would be able to get as high as of 40mi (80km) or as low as 25mi (45km).

Your conversion is incorrect.  40 miles is 64km and 25 miles is 40km

The range is listed as 31-49 miles (50-80km), so I think it’s a combination of the high voltage and high discharge rates or Lipo batteries, that create a balance in operability and efficiency. It’s mainly an assumption because I don’t have a good understanding on how voltage effects lipo batteries, but the large difference in range does align with what I described earlier.

I preordered one yesterday so I’ll be anxious and hopeful.

• Like 3

On 12/27/2021 at 5:49 PM, Boostnsvt said:

why everyone assumes the range will be lower

This is why:

On 12/7/2021 at 1:20 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

the reduction is capacity dominates the story.

• Li-Ion 18650GA delivers about 75% of its "label capacity" for an EUC, before tiltback voltage (end of useful capacity).
  • LFP 18650 delivers about 85% of its "label capacity" in a similar theoretical EUC. But the label capacity is less than half of the Li-Ion 18650.

So to get a 10% bump in 'discharge efficiency,' you gave up half of the original rating. It's a net loss.
(And no surprise, as LFP has been on the market for decades now.)

• Like 3