Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb

On 12/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

Lots of explanation in the RS:RS thread below:
https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/25949-begode-rs-resolute-the-first-euc-using-lfp-battery-chemistry/

TL;DR: you can overcharge, short-circuit, and puncture them without causing a fire.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:35 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

T

They can't easily burn, even if punctured. And they offer notably better peak/high stress performance.

The downside is only like 50-60% of standard Li Ion battery capacity but the same price/weight/space requirement.

Thanks for the explanation guys

On the one hand, I'm glad that begode is taking battery safety seriously. On the other hand, is this really the way? Lower capacity with the same weight is a really big tradeoff. Other brands, like inmotion, seem to have successfully managed to create wheels using lithium ion that are very safe. A smarter BMS, software, and waterproofing capabilities seem like more well-rounded approaches for safety than a new battery type. 

The reason I thought it was funny was primarily the design which looks like they ripped off the S20 with 0 marketing budget. No "Eagle" aesthetic here :D

Of course, I would assume swapping out the batteries is a much quicker route to advertising safety than investing and explaining improvements to the BMS, software, and security of the packs within the wheel.

Edited by wheelyboy
  • Like 1

BEGODE WILL NOT BE RELEASING THE LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE (LFP) EX2 2040WH. 
NEW MODEL WILL BE CALLED EX2S 3600WH, AND IS SCHEDULED FOR A MID JANUARY RELEASE .

The about-face in the release of the proposed EX2 comes amid harsh criticism from consumers concerned about substantial performance losses riders would no doubt endure.

Historically regarded as the EUC industry's performance leader, Begode has decided to maintain that position. There can be little doubt that this move is influenced by competing manufacturers releasing models that seek to dethrone Begode as the industry's performance leader. Several competing manufacturers have introduced impressively spec'd models: such as Kingsong's S20, the Veteran models, and Inmotion's recently announced ambitious concept that seek to either match or outright dethrone Begode's position as the performance king. With competing manufacturers encroaching upon Begode's performance territory thirsty to snatch Begode's crown and wear it for themselves, it becomes imperative for Begode to reassert their long standing dominance in the wheel category that they created. 

The scrapped EX2 will be replaced by a model that Begode is calling the EX2S. 3600wh
The EX2S 3600wh is expected to begin production mid January 2022.

@Lutalo via https://www.facebook.com/groups/Glydiators/permalink/2399875646821589 

Hmm, they listened to us?

• Like 2

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Begode EX2S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb
46 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Hmm, they listened to us?

“See -we gave you safety like you said you wanted, but in the end the customer told us that range and speed were more important - so we are going to back doing what we have done before ”

- maybe that was always the plan.

Lets see if they listen and address the actual issues with the BMS, cooking, charging circuits and wiring in the new wheels.

On 12/16/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ronin Ryder said:

I love begode wheels but…

Maybe this is the moment when you wake up in the morning next to the girl you thought was so lovely last night when you had had a few… :roflmao:

On 12/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, wheelyboy said:

I'm glad that begode is taking battery safety seriously.

I wouldn’t say that though. To me it seems that they are not taking it seriously, and like Hsiang said, instead of fixing the actual issue they just jump to an uncharted (to EUCs) territory with a different battery tech. No need to actually do anything about the issue, just use different batteries, and replace them in warranty when they fail due to the shoddy manufacturing. But it looks like a good move for the larger public. Win-win!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wrong Way!
Hello there! It really breaks my heart after so much work I’ve put into this channel and also so many nice memories we have together here but I’ve decided to make all videos about Begode products that don’t have a safety warning or disclaimer to be private (for now). Fires keep on happening and the company refuses to issue any statements or solutions for existing customers which I do not approve whatsoever. Soon I will record another Begode battery safety announcement to keep you guys updated with the findings we have about those wheels and how to mitigate risks. In any case I can’t show how I’m riding in extreme ways and show my fascination on the performance on those wheels as it would be misleading for future customers not to inform about safety concerns and such. Let me know what you think about it. Sadly I can’t put disclaimers on YouTube videos before the video as the video is uploaded “as is” and I can’t assume that everyone will read the description of the video. Stay safe and sound!
m-isvQYQ-DaNMh6DoU32DUV_L0ci36CmclxtQb6Y

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 9:37 AM, Paul A said:

Wrong Way!
Hello there! It really breaks my heart after so much work I’ve put into this channel and also so many nice memories we have together here but I’ve decided to make all videos about Begode products that don’t have a safety warning or disclaimer to be private (for now). Fires keep on happening and the company refuses to issue any statements or solutions for existing customers which I do not approve whatsoever. Soon I will record another Begode battery safety announcement to keep you guys updated with the findings we have about those wheels and how to mitigate risks. In any case I can’t show how I’m riding in extreme ways and show my fascination on the performance on those wheels as it would be misleading for future customers not to inform about safety concerns and such. Let me know what you think about it. Sadly I can’t put disclaimers on YouTube videos before the video as the video is uploaded “as is” and I can’t assume that everyone will read the description of the video. Stay safe and sound!
m-isvQYQ-DaNMh6DoU32DUV_L0ci36CmclxtQb6Y

he made it accesible again, short time after this message. 

Dont understand this mini-wars between distributors and youtubers who are sponsored by them. Usually when we dont understand what is going on, it is going about...money :).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

High speed version? What do you guys think of this? I like it a lot more now

While the Hs version does make it more appealing to a wider audience.  The sheer massive weight of this thing still limits its real world application. 

For those who decided to make this purchase. This wheel will most likely be demoted to weekend warrior duty instead of a daily work horse. 

The aesthetics of this wheel still leave A LOT to be desired. 

Edited by Mayhem
  • Like 2

I'm getting one (selling Monster Pro), let's see how it goes. 

Protecting the corners with these for protecting both the battery and my body in case of accident. 

61+ceSjd-oL._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I would disagree, whats another 10 lbs compared to a sherman? Basically the same weight as a monster pro. I dont see people putting their shermans away only for special rides. Even an exn is 70 lbs, not exactly light. For the benefit of suspension i cant see a few pounds detering people from riding it. If you need a lightweight portable device, your not really in the 50 mph wheel market anyways. 

The look has grown on me more than initial release. And lets be honest, we are probably not buying it just to look at it anyways.

Another 10lbs in a walk up apartment building can make all the difference. I know plenty of people who sold mpro due to that reason alone. 

Suspension isn’t a need it’s a want. The average rider doesn’t even use a non suspension wheel to half of its potential much less one with more creature comforts. 

Plenty of people using H.S wheels who are not looking for more weight. So to say “your not really in the 50 mph wheel market anyways” is far from accurate. 

When wheels are announced first thing people say is “I wonder what it’s gonna look like.” So looks are quite important but I agree if your buying this wheel it’s certainly not for looks lol.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 12:20 PM, GoGeorgeGo said:

No one is looking for more weight, but you said yourself, someone who cares about weight isnt buying a monster pro. So whats the difference, shermans pros and exs are heavy wheels that many people wouldnt want to lug up to their apartment. So your not in that market. 

Much like a v5f is not really interesting to many people, its to small and to slow and not enough range. Yet they are a very good selling wheel, because there are different use cases for individuals. I just dont see the weight detering anyone who would own a monster pro from owning the ex2s.

And no one needs suspension just like no one needs protect their knees and back. You can tough it out and deal with the wear and tear at an older age. Or you can have a safer more comfortable ride and possible avoid some long term damage by having it. 

There’s quite the difference between Sherman, ex and mpro. Besides the obvious but let’s keep it on weight and design of said weight.
- 2 handed carry vs single carry point. 

- tall vs wide 

all of these machines are designed to be portable hence the carry handles and trolly handles. One can absolutely love the size & weight of an ex and absolutely dislike a mpro simply based solely on size & weight. Your still in the “big wheel market” with an ex and would use it daily due to it being more practical for day to day purposes. So yes you can absolutely be in the big wheel market and not want a behemoth.  Every one has there own taste, style and function for what they buy, but  to say your not in that market I disagree…..

I agree if you own an mpro your lifestyle is pretty much already set for an ex2. But atleast here in nyc you don’t see guys bringing out their mpros for anything less then a long group ride. (Weekend warrior) While Sherman’s, exn, ex are seen daily. 

safety gear vs suspension comfort is apples and oranges. Taking up a hobby that can cause your joints serious injury due to rough ride or potential harm in a fall. you’ve already pretty much made your choice on how much risk your willing to take on your own personal health. 

Edited by Mayhem

17 hours ago, mrelwood said:

How do you feel about suspension in other vehicles? Bicycles, mopeds, motorcycles, cars?

Your comment is understandably quite popular amongst (young and healthy) riders who haven’t ridden with suspension for more than a about a minute. But it absolutely is not just a want any more than the whole EUC. Actually even less.

Bicycles & mopeds I can take it or leave it.

motorcycles & cars now your talking serious weight. You also have to be able to keep all wheels on the ground for traction and control of said vehicle. I’ve ridden both cars & bikes with bad or poorly tuned suspension. 

Many say I need suspension due to bad joints. Which is understandable it can be seen as a rough ride. But if your joints are already bad and you decide taking up a hobby that puts your joints at risk from a ride or fall. You’ve pretty much already made up your mind about how much risk you wanna take with your health. 

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb