Begode EX20S 3600wh: 100V, suspension, 104lb

11 hours ago, Mayhem said:

Bicycles & mopeds I can take it or leave it.

motorcycles & cars now your talking serious weight. You also have to be able to keep all wheels on the ground for traction and control of said vehicle. I’ve ridden both cars & bikes with bad or poorly tuned suspension. 

Many say I need suspension due to bad joints. Which is understandable it can be seen as a rough ride. But if your joints are already bad and you decide taking up a hobby that puts your joints at risk from a ride or fall. You’ve pretty much already made up your mind about how much risk you wanna take with your health. 

You might get hurt anyways so why even try to remedy the issue? In that case why wear a helmet? You could die in a fall anyways so whats the point 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

I must admit, now that Begode have gone with 3600Wh in a suspension wheel I'm interested. I'm now a step closer to a Sherman with suspension eg a wheel without a 22"/24" wheel like the Pro (which I don't want) which keeps the overall size down.

This EX is still a big, heavy lump but it's certainly piqued my interest because I wasn't expecting to add suspension and not get a weight penalty. I'm not even that bothered by the appearance tbh - it does indeed look like it was knocked up in a shed but I'm OK with that. Especially given it's the only suspension wheel out there at the moment with a battery size I need.

Only problem is that I doubt if I will ever be able to afford it :wacko:

• Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 4:44 AM, GoGeorgeGo said:

The look has grown on me more than initial release. And lets be honest, we are probably not buying it just to look at it anyways.

Its like the Tesla Cybertruck of the EUCs, straight out of Mad Max...

one calls it ugly, where others see the 'form follows function' argument. The look has grown on me too, George. But anyway, my numbers on wheels on order is limited to 1, and thats the S20 for now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Planemo said:

I must admit, now that Begode have gone with 3600Wh in a suspension wheel I'm interested.

Yes, definitely! You're not the only one. Wishlist:

• 3600Wh (or in that area)
  • (good) suspension
  • no crazy high price
  • no crazy heavy weight
  • some resemblance of build quality

I expect the EX20S to do the first two and fail at the latter three. Hoping for some Veteran wheel or the V13 coming to the rescue.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

How good was the Hero's suspension? I don't know that I've seen any reviews.

Not sure, but I think it was crappy.

Some videos on this in the Hero thread, starting with this one:

There must be a reason they are replacing (in effect) the Hero with the Master so soon. Can't just be because 1800Wh is ho-hum these days (at least for the absurd Hero price). Probably the rest wasn't too good, either.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yes, definitely! You're not the only one. Wishlist:

• 3600Wh (or in that area)
  • (good) suspension
  • no crazy high price
  • no crazy heavy weight
  • some resemblance of build quality

I expect the EX20S to do the first two and fail at the latter three. Hoping for some Veteran wheel or the V13 coming to the rescue.

I think the days of expecting a 3600Wh wheel for anything below maybe $3400 are long gone, can't blame Begode for that though, simply battery supply and demand.

Edited by PharmaCyclist
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, EMA said:

a real offroad wheel can't be more than 28-30kg imho, that's why RST shine

suspension are fun offroad but when you start dealing with 35kg or more your dinamics will be always limited

Rider weight, riding style and terrain have also something to do with this. Big rider on flat terrain bike trails can handle heavier wheels than small rider in hilly woods.

2 hours ago, EMA said:

a real offroad wheel can't be more than 28-30kg imho, that's why RST shine

suspension are fun offroad but when you start dealing with 35kg or more your dinamics will be always limited

I disagree, we see big range in rider weight without it being an issue off-road, we have 70kg-110kg geared riders doing well off-road, jumping, technical trails and what not. 5kg+- on the wheel doesn't make such a big difference really as long as the motor has the power to deliver.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

I disagree, we see big range in rider weight without it being an issue off-road, we have 70kg-110kg geared riders doing well off-road, jumping, technical trails and what not. 5kg+- on the wheel doesn't make such a big difference really as long as the motor has the power to deliver.

i'm not talking about rider skill

to me 5kg it's a huge difference, but everything is related of what you consider "offroad" and what speed are you riding

• Like 1

Just now, EMA said:

i'm not talking about rider skill

to me 5kg it's a huge difference, but everything is related of what you consider "offroad" and what speed are you riding

Well I've personally ridden both MSP (~29kg) and Sherman (~36kg) off-road on technical trails and also stairs and both feels fine for me, Sherman feels very planted due to the weight and well balanced and not bad in any way, although I wouldn't push my Sherman too much for other reasons (risk motherboard burn out) but will definitely do a lot of off-road on S20 (also ~36kg), so for me personally the 7kg weight difference between those two wheels is nothing big at all, actually going back to a 29kg wheel after ridden a 36kg one it feels a bit like a toy.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rawnei said:

the 7kg weight difference between those two wheels is nothing big at all, actually going back to a 29kg wheel after ridden a 36kg one it feels a bit like a toy.

Isn’t an off-road capable premium EUC and “feeling a bit like a toy” quite a huge difference? ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Isn’t an off-road capable premium EUC and “feeling a bit like a toy” quite a huge difference? ;)

Not sure what you mean, but anytime you hop onto a lighter or smaller wheel after riding something bigger or heavier it feels strange!

6 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Not sure what you mean, but anytime you hop onto a lighter or smaller wheel after riding something bigger or heavier it feels strange!

I agree, it often feels suspiciously light and nimble. Which is why I was left wondering if your wording ”the difference is not big at all” was exactly accurate or not…

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I agree, it often feels suspiciously light and nimble. Which is why I was left wondering if your wording ”the difference is not big at all” was exactly accurate or not…

Well the subject at hand was off-road so of course I'm talking about off-road handling when I say the difference is not big at all (to me).

9 hours ago, Rawnei said:

The type of trail and the type of riding will affect how much of a problem (or not) the weight is. On smooth fast flowy tracks and bumpy downhill trails, the heavier weight shouldn't make much difference and might even be preferable since it's stable. For slower speed technical (especially technical climbs) and sketchy features (skinnies, log rides, etc) the lighter wheel will be preferable for its agility and safety when bailing often. For tightly spaced jumps and pump track, a lighter non-suspension wheel is still going to be king. 

I use a solid (non breakaway tether) due to my local trails having a lot of narrow sections with steep drops on the side (where the wheel will not survive the fall), and having something not too heavy relative to my body weight would be really important for safety and maneuverability. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2