Mango

For reasons already stated, this wheel looks to be out of reach/not suitable for a good number of riders but I hope the new design elements (thicker motor windings, backup hall sensor, extra durable rim) trickles down to the smaller future wheels and sets a new "standard" for other brands to match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I love the v12, I am not sure I need more speed..

I am in the same boat, except that I wouldn't mind more head room, but not at the expense of more weight and less agility. Hence, I am back to the V12. For me, the V13 doesn't replace the V12.

It's lovely to see this going on, and new levels of performance and safety being realised, but I think very soon we are going to find the limits of what is a good idea to do whilst standing up... I have to say that is probably too fast for me. Or am I just thinking that cos I ordered a master ? :)

27 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I have to say that is probably too fast for me. Or am I just thinking that cos I ordered a master ?

No worries. You can think of the Master's top speed as a stepping stone to the V13's 100+km/h top speed. If you are not worried about getting the Master, you are already well past the point of worrying about top speeds.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not social media. Looks like Inmotion have the same problem the other manufacturers have: they don't really use/ride their own wheels. They're not building wheels for themselves. This is why manufacturers make so many baffling decisions that any rider immediately (and rightly) complains about - they just don't understand some things that are obvious to any rider!

When I go to browse various euc dealers' websites, often I find that the V11 is the best or one of the best sellers. So there is no way, Inmotion doesn't know the V11 is selling well. They know the sales volume of the V11, and all their other wheels. Maybe because of this fact, they may not want to mess with it. Why fix it if it is not broken, right? 

The other thing is the Sherman is also one of the best sellers. And as for pre-orders, both the S22 and the Master seemed to be doing well. All these wheels are in the 78 -85 lbs range, not exactly light. But more importantly, they are not beginners wheel.

Since Inmotion knows their V11 doesn't have high capability like the Sherman, it isn't farfetched that Inmotion was surprised when a veteran rider like @Unventor not praising the Sherman, but instead the V11.

4 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Definitely this is the way to go. It is impossible to make a wheel variant suitable for every need. A modular design would be much better. Everybody can choose battery configuration for their weight/price/range needs. Tire, suspension and pad needs are also very personal and could be chosen by the user. 

---

I get the feeling there are quite a few people reacting with a sense that they are going too far with the motor. I do agree. For me these wheels are still something that are comparable to e-bikes and ridden on bike paths. 50 km/h is already enough for me and everything beyond that is wasted. However, I do think there are much more good things in the motor video than just more speed. 

I guess this wheel is there to make Inmotion known for performance. I do think they know the market is limited. It will be expensive but will still sell well because there are so many people who just want biggest and best no matter if they need them or not. It's for American market. They are used to buying big trucks for daily usage also. 

My dream wheel has not been made yet but all the components have already been made. Nobody just hasn't put them all in one wheel. 

Battery: 2400-3200 Wh, done by Begode and Veteran

Tire: 18x3" done in most wheels

Suspension: done in many versions, they're all good enough

Speed: 50 km/h, done in many wheels

Reliability: done in some wheels

Comfort: done in many narrow wheels

Good light: V11 has nailed it 

Big pedals: most are fine already

Seated riding: Many wheels offer good options

Just upgrade the V11 with bigger battery, better reliability and maybe up the voltage for those who want it. Suspension could be upgraded also. That's it. That's the wheel I want. V13 will be awesome for some specific use cases but will also have too many compromises for most use cases. It will compete well with Monster, Abrams and EX20S. For V11, 18XL, MSP, Sherman and S22 riders it will feel too heavy and be too expensive. To upgrade from these to V13 you will lose many benefits from the smaller wheels just to have the potential speed of +70 km/h. Inmotion would be wise to offer a lighter version limited to 60 km/h for those who don't need more and want a lighter wheel. This version could have an 18x3" tire also. The top version would function as a halo product and the lighter version would be the one most people 

Done!

You wanna buy my EX?

• Like 1

I wouldn't even want to go that fast, not even close lol. The speed safety margin is nice though

Edited by ETAonTheEUC

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I think the V11 is secretly (or not so secretly) Inmotions best wheel. Such a goddamn nice commuter!! And the price is quite ok. Why oh why did they never quickly update it? 100V (V12 board already exists), automatically giving it a bit more battery (1500Wh -> 1800Wh) and speed - that would be such an easy, no-brainer upgrade.

Yeah, I would have bought this and still would. I would probably sell the S22 that I haven't even received yet and get this if they announced it right now. 

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Maybe after the V13, some of its innovations will trickle down to revisions of their existing wheels?

This is what I'm most excited about after the video on the motor. I'm definitely excited about V13 and maybe will even buy it. But it wouldn't me my only wheel as it (probably) as too many compromises. But the real promise here is all the other wheels after they've learned to make V13 flagship. And the hope for same quality but just lighter version. 

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

I don't share the notion that euc's are safe only when ridden in bike lanes, bike paths, or side streets. So, when ridden outside of these confines, I would prefer a much higher free-spin speed to give me the head room I seek. However, I may not need 140+ km/h.

5 hours ago, techyiam said:

I think there are actually real uses for it, locally or in the US. When I first started, I really thought 30 km/h may be it. My wheel was bouncing all over the place, and I could not feel calm and secure, like I would be on a motorcycle

I have no disagreements here. My point is more that at some point the chase for more top speed starts to require compromises in other areas. So far all the high speed wheels have also been really good for lower speeds as well. No problem with riding the Sherman, S22, V11, MSP, RS, V12 etc. at 25-40 km/h and enjoy a relatively nimble and small yet stable and powerful wheel. Same wheel for many kinds of riders: commuters, bike path riders (Europeans), car lane speedsters (Americans), and off-roaders. V13 seems to go towards Monster style that only attracts certain types of riders. Nothing wrong with that and I'm personally also gravitating towards wanting one of those wheels just for comfortable long range rides. But it feels like buying a van because you might need to haul big things twice a year. For mixed riding these big wheels are not the best option. 

It's like that Duracell phone a few years back when everybody wanted bigger batteries. At some point bigger stops being better. When you have enough more doesn't make it better. Very few wanted to carry this monster in their pocket but it probably had a small niche market anyway. I have no problem with 50-60 kg and 100 km/h unicycles but at that point I might look at two wheeled e-motorcycles instead. 

energizer_unit_vsavov7.0.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't read through all the posts here, but I watched the promo from Inmotion. So, from what I understand there will be 2 sensors to prevent cutout during riding (which was what everyone was hoping for the manufacturers to start making).... Does that mean that it will be the safest wheel? I don't mean to sound stupid, but since engineering isn't my thing, is it possible that some other kind of cutout can still happen and disable the 2 sensors... and shut off the engine?

I am lucky that my wheel has never had a cutout during riding, but I've had it several times during turning it on in the first 5 seconds. Being on the skinny side and hardly having any fat on my body, if my wheel was to cut out, my situation would be quite serious.... So I was actually starting to imagine a wheel that will have redundancy to prevent cutout built into it... and finally this one seems to be the first one that I know of.

16 minutes ago, Robse said:

Text from the video: "to provide extra safety we implemented redundant hall sensor systems, in case either one fails while riding the other one can take over the task to make sure no cutout happens"

as @Tawpie i don't see any safety in this regarding cutout.  The hall sensors cant prevent loss of power due to cmos failure, overheated / fried board, blown fuses, to low voltage and to high demand and what else can happen on this chinese crap that we gladly are riding :wacko:

Oh man.... What would it take to create a wheel that will either:

1) Not allow you to start ride it because "xyz issue has been detected."

2) During riding it will start beeping an alarm, decelerate and shut off because "xyz issue has been detected."

I wish all manufacturers start making wheels like that so that no one ever has any type of cut off. Rocket engineers do that all the time.

Edited by jmsjms

6 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

Oh man.... What would it take to create a wheel that will either:

1) Not allow you to start ride it because "xyz issue has been detected."

2) During riding it will start beeping an alarm, decelerate and shut off because "xyz issue has been detected."

I wish all manufacturers start making wheels like that so that no one ever has any type of cut off.

The wheel can't just decelerate on its own - the rider would faceplant.  We already have beeps and tiltback,  but some riders like to take it to the limit and 1% further...  What we need is wheels with reliable redundant electronics all the way round - not just a hall sensor.

Edited by Robse
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robse said:

The wheel can't just decelerate on its own - the rider would faceplant.

I think it can. For example, on my V12, when I cruise along on level ground, and then encounter a slope, when I descend, the wheel prevents me from going faster and faster by itself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I think it can. For example, on my V12, when I cruise along on level ground, and then encounter a slope, when I descend, the wheel prevents me from going faster and faster by itself.

Yes, but it does not brake ;-)

25 minutes ago, Robse said:

Yes, but it does not brake ;-)

Techically, braking is accomplished by applying a reverse current, thus a reverse torque. Maintaining a constant speed down a slope also requires reverse torque. 🙂