King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

5 hours ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

Nope!  lol...  This thing already gets dropped like a bad habit... It's a real testament to the build quality actually - especially for this "flaky" handle!  Maybe one day, but not today... and probably not tomorrow either!

Well let us know when you faceplant.

• Like 3

I'm still a bit confused on how exactly the lift handle works (in the most recent software version). I think that if the handle pops up to the lift position while you are riding the wheel won't actually engage the "lift function" and will still be ride-able as normal, right? But what happens if you come to a stop? For example, imagine you are riding in the city, doing jumps and drops, and the handle pops up and clicks into the lift position without you realizing it. You keep riding like normal until you come to a stop light. You dismount the wheel, wait for the green light, and hop back on and try to ride off. What would happen in this scenario? Would the wheel engage the "lift function" because you came to a stop and cause you to faceplant in the middle of the intersection? If so that could be extremely dangerous especially if the intersection were a busy one. I hope this isn't the case.

Edit: It doesn't do this. Read @mrelwood's post below.

Edited by Mark Wilson
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

I'm still a bit confused on how exactly the lift handle works (in the most recent software version). I think that if the handle pops up to the lift position while you are riding the wheel won't actually engage the "lift function" and will still be ride-able as normal, right? But what happens if you come to a stop? For example, imagine you are riding in the city, doing jumps and drops, and the handle pops up and clicks into the lift position without you realizing it. You keep riding like normal until you come to a stop light. You dismount the wheel, wait for the green light, and hop back on and try to ride off. What would happen in this scenario? Would the wheel engage the "lift function" because you came to a stop and cause you to faceplant in the middle of the intersection? If so that could be extremely dangerous especially if the intersection were a busy one. I hope this isn't the case.

Yes it wont! That is good question. Can someone who got their wheel clear up? But it beeps when it switches modes so youll hear it!

27 minutes ago, Sentient said:

Not nice.

So its not nice of me to let him know that he could faceplant in that mode? Ok, ill be quiet and just let him at it. Lets keep it a secret.

Edited by eve
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, eve said:

Yes it wont! That is good question. Can someone who got their wheel clear up? But it beeps when it switches modes so youll hear it!

So its not nice of me to let him know that he could faceplant in that mode? Ok, ill be quiet and just let him at it. Lets keep it a secret.

LOL, sssshhhh! 

I have my wheel.  The "lift function" is BS.  Like when I actually lifted the wheel to go up steps tonight the wheel rubbed up against my leg spinning (slowly but still very annoying). Also when I lift it to put it on the stand, same thing... spins making it near impossible to place onto the stand.  And OMG, don't use that function to lift the wheel into a car or anything like that you could get your fingers caught in it.  Like on my MSX, I think its more functional to just turn it off for lifting/carrying instead of having the 1/2 assed "lift function".  Its certainly not as effective as other wheels with switches. 

So I was wondering if the lift-mode disable function in the app actually works.   OK it does... I disabled it, then lifted it and it free-spun to 30mph... then it seemed to try to achieve tilt-back with a mind of its own... free-spinning up to 42 mph then went into an real lift  mode (no spin on it at all).  What a f'king political abortion over expected functionality.  Like why not have the switch under the handle instead of inside the tube somewhere?    I've also considered using the handle to help mount a seat on this thing... so that locked lift position with the lift mode disabled might help for that.

And BTW, when my dog wants to stop... and is pulling its kinda hard to jump off quick and grab the wheel with only 1 hand and nothing to grab onto... SO...

Like ColoradoQuattro, I think I will be running my wheel with the handle in the lift position from now on... lift mode disabled. 

17 minutes ago, eve said:

Yeah. I'm all in on the no secrets meme. Its the tone of the comment that struck  me as brutal.  

42 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

I think that if the handle pops up to the lift position while you are riding the wheel won't actually engage the "lift function" and will still be ride-able as normal, right? But what happens if you come to a stop? For example, imagine you are riding in the city, doing jumps and drops, and the handle pops up and clicks into the lift position without you realizing it. You keep riding like normal until you come to a stop light. You dismount the wheel, wait for the green light, and hop back on and try to ride off. What would happen in this scenario?

I just tested it. As @mrelwood said. You have to put the handle back down and then back into the lift position to get the lift to work. 

I think that the lift works well except when you are tying to put the wheel in a stand, 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It was explained by Jack @ KS that the lift function would not engage in said situation. If the handle has popped up and you stop, you will need to put the handle back down and lift it up while the wheel is stationary for the lift function to (semi-) stop the motor.

With the motor only semi-stopped, its not really a lift function any good for anything other than a simple curb.  And for a simple curb who needs a lift function anyway.  So again, like ColoradoQuattro, I WILL be running my wheel with the handle in the lift position from now on... lift mode disabled. 

{+} And it will make carrying things like water bottles and dog-shit bags much easier too!

Edited by Elliott Reitz
{+}
  • Like 2

I carry mine up and down stairs, and the lift function works perfectly fine. It's kinda like how my GotWays work, actually, just a tad more power to the motor.
I actually like it for when I'm putting it behind the seat in my car, it stays slightly balancing and makes it easier for me to finesse it into position.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 2

Not sure on the setting..  Is the ability to disable the lift  function available or required in the original fw rev (2.03?)?  I specifically avoided upgrading to leave the functionality unchanged, but would gladly upgrade to resolve the issue.  Haven't followed up on it, obviously..  It's been a while since I've been in the settings and I seem to recall that setting, but I might be making it up.  Wouldn't know, I don't think..  I think I've got the first buzzer set to go off at 15mph and I've only done it a few times.  Looking forward to more traction!  Will look in the am (later).

Will put some white lightning on the joints, pull those blocks, and see what happens..  Sorry about my sarcasm re:the  blocks before - I thought I was being asked if I'd removed the spacer after filling the shock.  Learned something new...  "More responsive" sounds good....  Thank you!

• Like 2

Small question: can someone with an S18 confirm that the back light isn’t constantly blinking, but keeps a solid red? (Other than blink light and battery I mean)

Thanks!

@ColoradoQuattro Yes you can disable the lift switch in the original software under device > settings > lift switch ( if I remember correctly)  I don’t like to upgrade either. I did anyway after listening for others to complain about it. I did not hear any real complaints. The only notable difference is when in lift position the tire spins VERY slow and you can’t ride it. It falls forward. 

@null The light mostly blinks. It blinks like a turn signal when you lean. It is not a big deal in the day time because it is not bright enough to see in the day time. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

@null The light mostly blinks. It blinks like a turn signal when you lean. It is not a big deal in the day time because it is not bright enough to see in the day time. 

Thanks for the confirmation. That’s pretty stupid of them as positioning lights of cars are supposed to be solid and in some countries it is even illegal to have blinking lights for anything else than turn. They stuck to this previously 🤷🏼

Edited by null
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, null said:

Thanks for the confirmation. That’s pretty stupid of them as positioning lights of cars are supposed to be solid and in some countries it is even illegal to have blinking lights for anything else than turn. They stuck to this previously 🤷🏼

Flashing brake lights are supposed to be illegal in the UK but I understood they were allowed in Europe. That's why Mercedes etc have brakes that flash under heavy braking. While the UK was a part of Europe, the European law took preference so, even though they were illegal in the UK, they were still allowed. Once the UK leaves Europe then god only knows what they'll say about all those cars that have flashing brake lights. Personally I think having brake lights that flash under heavy braking is a good thing. I can also see the logic to having flashing rear lights on bicycles as it presumably makes a bicycle more visible in the dark and it saves what little battery is available. I quite like the behaviour of the rear light on my KS16S as it can be made to shine constantly in the dark and increases in brightness while braking. Sadly there are a million other different lighting modes, all of which are pretty dumb (flashing brake lights on both the front and back anyone?).

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

@ColoradoQuattro Yes you can disable the lift switch in the original software under device > settings > lift switch ( if I remember correctly)  I don’t like to upgrade either. I did anyway after listening for others to complain about it. I did not hear any real complaints. The only notable difference is when in lift position the tire spins VERY slow and you can’t ride it. It falls forward. 

Nice..  I still had that switched off.. Had learned to work around the weirdness.. But re: ride with the handle in lift up to some magic number and the S18 goes all OneWheel on you..  ?  Does that setting control that behavior?  I just turned it on..

Headed out now..  wish me luck!

3 hours ago, the0r1st said:

Trail Riding on the King Song S18 : 

Per your splash-screen, "Replaced control board, Blocks Removed, suspension arm and bearings oiled", HOW DOES IT RIDE NOW?  DOES IT GO FASTER with the new control board?  If so, where can I get that control board?