King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

4 hours ago, eve said:

We got two cutouts.

Not sure if you're including that Chooch had a major cutout on the S18--not sure he ever talked about it in his videos (I don't watch him comprehensively), but he spoke about it when I last saw/rode with him in person. Apparently it was pretty bad. It's what caused him to ditch his old knee-guards and buy the Leatt Dual Axis.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eve said:

We got two cutouts. 1 an MSP rider and second an MSS rider. Not suprised they cutout. :laughbounce2:

In normal daily situation how many people actually want to get from 0-40kph immediately? The motor has been know for cutting out if accelaritng immediately top speed. Its not an S18 thing. Its a Kingsong motor problem.

Just curious... does it tilt back before cutting out, or just dump you with no warning, OneWheel style?

1 hour ago, Feynman said:

Just curious... does it tilt back before cutting out, or just dump you with no warning, OneWheel style?

not sure, hasn't happened to me but wrong way said he was able to recover. might be big problem if the motor is trying to suck up more electricity than the batter can giv.

Edited by the0r1st
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Feynman said:

To be honest i wouldnt call it cut-out because as soon as youre off the wheel, the wheel will recover and start balancing again.

I think wrongway managed to tilt himself back when he felt the pedal drop and it started balancing again. Thats my guess.Ā 

But nope there is no warning it just drops.

Edited by eve
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mark Wilson said:

Wrong Way review of the S18:

Overall he had a pretty negative review of the S18 but I would like to ask S18 owners about the battery.Ā He said that the wheel has serious battery sag issues but this is the first I'm hearing of this. Have you guys pushed the limits of the wheel and if so, how do you feel that it compares to other wheels? In his test, he said the wheel almost cutout while accelerating but he hit the limit while going about 44kmph, almost top speed. Is it normal to be able to overpower a wheel if you are accelerating a wheel near its top speed?

My battery isn't sagging like his was in the vid.Ā  I wonder if his battery was defective.Ā  That would explain a lot because I've ridden min up steep slopes and up to 27 mph.Ā  Wrongway was nervous about torque margin which on his wheel appeared to be a battery margin problem (old battery that has been fully discharged & rapid charged too many times).Ā  My concern riding it is more about its lack of speed margin to go 30 mph on it.

10 hours ago, the0r1st said:

not sure, hasn't happened to me but wrong way said he was able to recover. might be big problem if the motor is trying to suck up more electricity than the batter can giv.

Yea that battery on that particular wheel it appears.Ā 

I think it is safe to say the issues are mostly all due to quality control and even somewhat build quality.

It has kind of been an issue with KS since the 16x. Unfortunately the S18 issues with this seem to be worse than even what it was with 16x.Ā 

Its a shame because its obviously a really good wheel. Its justĀ every one out of the box needs to be modified in some way for it to work, and then you have to be lucky to have no other problems.Ā 

I bought a 16x not so long ago and love it.. No issues.. (other than annoying constant beeping for everything.. no comment) But i read back on threads and see the QC issues on the first 2 rounds and i am glad i waited..

I assume s18 will have a similar scenario.. If you didnt pre-order.. i think your safest bet is to wait both this and the inmotion v11 out a bit and see where suspension goes.Ā 

Suspension may be the future for euc.. but unfortunately i don't think its the present for a lot of us just yet.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Feynman said:

It really depends on the situation, and riding style. If you accelerate by leaning forward for both devices, from a stop and accelerate aggressivelyĀ Ā you will not get the tilt back warning as it will be countered by the forward leaning weight you are putting on the device. So yea it will just cut out. Some EUC will under power the motor for a little causing the pedals to dip forward a little, before completely going out, which is what happened in the vid so he was able to pull out of it.

I would say tho that theĀ  ā€”0ā€” is a little harder to over power like this, you have to be really deliberate to over power it while accelerating from a stop as the front of the board will be close to the ground, making it sketchy.Ā (Don't ask me about that scar just below my nipple)Ā 

If you are already at speed you and try to accelerate, depending on how aggressively you will get the tilt back before it cuts out on both.

1 hour ago, Elliott Reitz said:

My battery isn't sagging like his was in the vid.Ā  I wonder if his battery was defective.Ā  That would explain a lot because I've ridden min up steep slopes and up to 27 mph.Ā  Wrongway was nervous about torque margin which on his wheel appeared to be a battery margin problem (old battery that has been fully discharged & rapid charged too many times).Ā  My concern riding it is more about its lack of speed margin to go 30 mph on it.

Yea that battery on that particular wheel it appears.Ā 

i hope its a defective battery, i love the wheel even with all its little quirks.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dsd317 said:

He also mentions battery sag:

Ā 

I recallĀ Adam M.'s (Wrong Way) commentĀ stating that the motor might just be too much for that battery setup combo; I think I take his side on how theĀ S18 should have had a smaller motor as this current build might have been too ambitious from the start. No offense to KS QC. Great video by Hsiang, but that battery sag on the lower end of the charge is too concerning for me if I had to push those distances (provided I even had concrete charge-spots plotted out beforehand). Glad he didn't get stuck in that dirt road, I'd be raging if my s18 wasn't working from the point where he took that dip in the woods =sĀ Ā 

Edited by goos3man

47 minutes ago, the0r1st said:

i hope its a defective battery, i love the wheel even with all its little quirks.

Unfortunately it's most likely not a defective battery. This behaviour has been reported many times here with 16X. It's not common for those who ride calmly. But accelerations when already going 40 km/h are known to cause pedal dips and over leans.Ā 

• Like 2

I thought it was the diameter of the wheel requiring more RPM that made the 16X weak where the same motor didnā€™t have issues on a 18XL. Here we have the same motor but with a yet slightly larger tyre.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, null said:

I thought it was the diameter of the wheel requiring more RPM that made the 16X weak where the same motor didnā€™t have issues on a 18XL. Here we have the same motor but with a yet slightly larger tyre.

Interesting point and kind of makes sense. For some reason we've already heard a couple of reports like this from the S18. There was even a video of someone faceplantingĀ when accelerating. Could it be the small battery? Or maybe the conjecture about wheel diameter with 16X was wrong?Ā 

1 minute ago, UniVehje said:

Interesting point and kind of makes sense. For some reason we've already heard a couple of reports like this from the S18. There was even a video of someone faceplantingĀ when accelerating. Could it be the small battery? Or maybe the conjecture about wheel diameter with 16X was wrong?Ā 

I think it is the batteryĀ packsĀ how it is wired affects the amount of power they can deliver to the motor on demand.

I canā€™t remember how much the 21xxx cells could output, but it didnā€™t make up for being 3p where 18xl is 6p. Donā€™t take my word for it but I believe it was calculated the Ā S18 battery could output less than the previous 18650 cell wheels. The V11 has 4p (21xxx cells)Ā to compare.

IDK, just some observations.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, null said:

I canā€™t remember how much the 21xxx cells could output, but it didnā€™t make up for being 3p where 18xl is 6p. Donā€™t take my word for it but I believe it was calculated the Ā S18 battery could output less than the previous 18650 cell wheels. The V11 has 4p (21xxx cells)Ā to compare.

IDK, just some observations.

There was a metric ton of conversation about this going back and forth when the specs were announced.. But i think you are accurate.. That the 3p wired pack was questionable on what it can output. If these random occurrences of pedal dip and cutouts become not so random when more people get their s18.. We can probably assume the smaller battery pack wired in 3p can be an issue..Ā 

Obviously the rider can just adjust by not accelerating super crazy which fixes one issue.. The lack of headroom at top speed is another thing to consider when riding this wheel.Ā 

to be fair these were all worries with the 16x as well. So far i have not had any issues with mine at all, and i feel perfectly safe on it.. Ā Ā 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eve said:

To be honest i wouldnt call it cut-out because as soon as youre off the wheel, the wheel will recover and start balancing again.

That's the definition of a cut out. A cut out is recoverable (for the wheel, at least).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dsd317 said:

It will be interesting to see what improvements were made, if any, compared to batch #1.

For starters, I know they ended up changing out the shocks on this batch due to insufficient supply.

I am not sure if they would have had enough time to address all the suspension issues discussed here, depending upon when they placed it on the boat.Ā 

Ā 

"The first 100x Wheels, for those who had placed their $500 deposit between April & late May, will receive the 36RC dual-chamber shock; those who have placed their deposits from the beginning of June to present will have the 38RC type. "

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

47 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

That's the definition of a cut out. A cut out is recoverable (for the wheel, at least).

Adam(Wrong Way) recovered from it. So its not just the wheel.Ā 

But i dont think its the battery. Cut-outs on that motor were always common.Ā 

Saddest part is that i dont think a quickfix for suspension is a good idea. Those springwashers will destroy the Suspension system sooner or later.

1 hour ago, the0r1st said:

what do you guys think about video recorded from a portrait view?

Interesting experiment. I like the kind of ā€œanime feelingā€. I think it has potential for creativity. Keep experimenting. Great trail for riding EUCs.