King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Just now, eve said:

Whats wrong with the control board?

Just the nanny speed-limit to 31 mph.  I read someone say they replaced a control board and got 37 mph before tiltback.  If that's available I want it!  Speed margin is critical to going with traffic.  Otherwise I'm still using my MSX for that.

4 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Per your splash-screen, "Replaced control board, Blocks Removed, suspension arm and bearings oiled", HOW DOES IT RIDE NOW?  DOES IT GO FASTER with the new control board?  If so, where can I get that control board?

No, after the breakin period it went back to 31mph

Just now, Elliott Reitz said:

Just the nanny speed-limit to 31 mph.  I read someone say they replaced a control board and got 37 mph before tiltback.  If that's available I want it!  Speed margin is critical to going with traffic.  Otherwise I'm still using my MSX for that.

Well thats a standard speed-limit. From what i heard that thing was on older fw and after updating the limit went back to 31.

Just now, eve said:

Well thats a standard speed-limit. From what i heard that thing was on older fw and after updating the limit went back to 31.

Bummer.  I think that limit makes the wheel less safe and less useful when there's an MSX in the house.

3 minutes ago, eve said:

Whats wrong with the control board?

EDIT: Forgot to read description. 

So KSS18 stopped charging. We tried a new charger, upgraded to version 2.05, didn't work. So eWheels sent me a new control board and that did the trick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Flashing brake lights are supposed to be illegal in the UK but I understood they were allowed in Europe. That's why Mercedes etc have brakes that flash under heavy braking. While the UK was a part of Europe, the European law took preference

Not wanting to be pedantic, but for clarification there is a great distinction between the words 'law' and 'type approved'. European law does not at all take 'precedence' in the UK. For example, Merc et all get away with it because of the 'type approval', which is not always law. Otherwise, all of those Euro countries whice allow eucs (not type approved but allowed in law) would also be allowed on the UK.

I think I know where you are coming from, I just wanted to clarify it :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Not wanting to be pedantic, but for clarification there is a great distinction between the words 'law' and 'type approved'. European law does not at all take 'precedence' in the UK. For example, Merc et all get away with it because of the 'type approval', which is not always law. Otherwise, all of those Euro countries whice allow eucs (not type approved but allowed in law) would also be allowed on the UK.

I think I know where you are coming from, I just wanted to clarify it :)

Well I could care less about turn signals.  Being able to turn on/off the tail light via app would be better. Same with that f'king beeper.

I just opened the top of my S18 looking for the beeper.   I couldn't find the damn thing.  Does anyone know where it is?  Is it UNDER the controller?  I didn't go quite that far searching for it. Just the 8 screws to take the top off. 

{+} Well per KSI vid it looks like its soldered onto the bottom side of the motherboard.  PITA to remove it like it probably can't be easily unsoldered from the top... probably have to remove the whole board and destroy it. 

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Well I could care less about turn signals.

Well we were talking about brake lights, but its pretty irrelevant in an S18 thread anyway. I was just trying to clarify a point that another poster made.

Our vehicules are too narrow to have any use from turn signals anyway. Not only that, a turn signal is to warn -before- turning not as you do it. They should just drop that complication as its no use. We can use our arms to signal or other blinkers.

Brake light is useful on a EUC, just have to be quite stronger than on the S18.

Edited by null
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, null said:

Brake light is useful on a EUC, just have to be quite stronger than on the S18.

Agreed. Most if not all eucs are crap in this respect. I dont know why its so difficult to implement, instead opting for circus lights and other dross.

• Like 3

So someone commented on one of my vides... Why do I think I need a K262 on my S18... that I don't ride that extreme... others do more, etc... Well tonight it sure was nice to have the K262 and in part 2 I actually do drop it in thick mud... then go up the steepest slope I've ever done on it, even re-starting 1/2 way up (about 75 yards up).  Part 1 had about 50 yards down almost as steep... And LOL I wonder what the 4 wheeler s thought.  (IDK, video thread?  I'm posting here instead because its the sort of trail that's specific to an S18 with a K262)

On 8/29/2020 at 10:53 PM, Elliott Reitz said:

With the motor only semi-stopped, its not really a lift function any good for anything other than a simple curb.  And for a simple curb who needs a lift function anyway.  So again, like ColoradoQuattro, I WILL be running my wheel with the handle in the lift position from now on... lift mode disabled. 

{+} And it will make carrying things like water bottles and dog-shit bags much easier too!

Well I have to admit riding it with the handle in the lift position made too much leg contact.  So I put the handle back and turned the lift mode back on for the sake of putting it on the stand without the wheel going crazy (42 mph tilt-back-attempts).  PS:  At least when it goes crazy it coasts to a stop.  The MSX doesn't do that at all... when it hits cut-off it does a hard-breaking action instant stop.  Though tilting the MSX on the stand is more predictable... cutoff happens between 56 and 60 mph.  The S18 crazy mode begins when it hits 31 mph then it spins up to 42 mph (regardless of trying to tilt it back) and then it coasts to 0. 

16 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

{+} Well per KSI vid it looks like its soldered onto the bottom side of the motherboard.  PITA to remove it like it probably can't be easily unsoldered from the top... probably have to remove the whole board and destroy it. 

Nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

13 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

So someone commented on one of my vides... Why do I think I need a K262 on my S18... that I don't ride that extreme... 

I'm sure that dude's the best EUC rider on the internet.  You convinced me to buy a K262...  I probably don't need one either.  lol.  

On 8/29/2020 at 7:50 PM, eve said:

Well let us know when you faceplant.

21 hours ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

Nice..  I still had that switched off.. Had learned to work around the weirdness.. But re: ride with the handle in lift up to some magic number and the S18 goes all OneWheel on you..  ?  Does that setting control that behavior?  I just turned it on..

Headed out now..  wish me luck!

So, uh..  Eve...  Can you clarify please?  Does the lift handle setting control the behavior that you were alluding (eluding?) to?  You were supposed to wish me luck!  My blood could have been on your hands!  lol...  :D

3 hours ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

So, uh..  Eve...  Can you clarify please?  Does the lift handle setting control the behavior that you were alluding (eluding?) to?  You were supposed to wish me luck!  My blood could have been on your hands!  lol...  :D

I was trying to save you! :ph34r:

If you ride like that with the handle out that you took out while riding then its okay. Just dont ride it when the wheel is stationary and you pull it out. 

Edited by eve

5 hours ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

:confused1: What he is saying is that if the handle is in the lift position AND the lift handle is turned on in the software AND you are running the old software, you will face plant somewhere between 15 and 20 mph. It is a very slow forward tilt. 
However if you turn off the lift handle in the app you will not tilt forward above 15mph. If you update you can’t even ride the wheel in the lift position ......unless you turn the lift off in the app. 
Summery: Yes, having the handle in the lift position with the lift handle turned on in the app will seriously reduce the wheels power. 

Also .... If you start riding the wheel and lift the handle to the lift position while moving....... nothing happens at all. You just turned the lift option off until you push the handle all the way down again and reset everything. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

:confused1: What he is saying is that if the handle is in the lift position AND the lift handle is turned on in the software AND you are running the old software, you will face plant somewhere between 15 and 20 mph. It is a very slow forward tilt. 
However if you turn off the lift handle in the app you will not tilt forward above 15mph. If you update you can’t even ride the wheel in the lift position ......unless you turn the lift off in the app. 
Summery: Yes, having the handle in the lift position with the lift handle turned on in the app will seriously reduce the wheels power. 

Also .... If you start riding the wheel and lift the handle to the lift position while moving....... nothing happens at all. You just turned the lift option off until you push the handle all the way down again and reset everything. 

Been there done that. I was at a red light the other day and had the handle up, mounted while holding on to the red light pole. Sucker twisted forward REALLY QUICKLY when The light turned green and I attempted to move... I caught it quickly tho so I didnt drop the wheel.... you live and learn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FinRider said:

Been there done that. I was at a red light the other day and had the handle up, mounted while holding on to the red light pole. Sucker twisted forward REALLY QUICKLY when The light turned green and I attempted to move... I caught it quickly tho so I didnt drop the wheel.... you live and learn.

I wish that the wheel had a flashing light or something while the lift option is activated. I have almost dropped mine twice. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FinRider said:

I caught it quickly tho so I didnt drop the wheel.

Whew. Good save! :cheers:

It beeps when the modes changes. @RockyTop

But something that would tell you lift mode is on would definetly be nice. @Jack King Song I think it wouldnt be too difficult to implement in future updates. When the lift mode is on the rear light would blink similary to cars that has the blinking option when you have to stop on the side of the road. 

The triangle button. :efeec46606:

Edited by eve

I noticed when I turned on the option in the app that there were several more beeps at various points in time, and the wheel definitely seemed to lack power with the handle up.  Figured that must be the "feature" at work.  Promptly shut that off and resumed doing what I've been doing.  The default wheel spinning behavior when you pick it up is annoying, but it isn't THAT annoying. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

Nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

I'm sure that dude's the best EUC rider on the internet.  You convinced me to buy a K262...  I probably don't need one either.  lol. 

Haha, I got the 1st KS S20!
Also, hat's off to Black Crow EUC Stands! They're making a custom version for my wheel. 😃 😃 😃

20200831_163632.jpg

• Like 3