My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

@Marty Backe What makes you choose Nikola as your next wheel and not 16X? Is there any deal breaker with the 16X or any really strong point for Nikola that made you said, OK Nikola will be my next wheel!

I'm quite curious :blink:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

How is the headlight? And is there a loud chime sound when the wheel is turned off as well? Sorry for all the questions. Your input (time/effort/opinions) is highly valued and appreciated!!!

There's no loud chime when turning it off. Can't speak for the headlight myself - the upside to being up here in the north is that when it's summer it's light nearly all of the time so I haven't had a chance to try it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

How is the headlight? And is there a loud chime sound when the wheel is turned off as well? Sorry for all the questions. Your input (time/effort/opinions) is highly valued and appreciated!!!

I need to test the light formally, but I feel it's brighter than their previous lights (e.g., MSX)

Edited by Marty Backe

10 hours ago, Nils said:
10 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

And is there a loud chime sound when the wheel is turned off as well? Sorry for all the questions. Your input (time/effort/opinions) is highly valued and appreciated!!!

There's no loud chime when turning it off. Can't speak for the headlight myself - the upside to being up here in the north is that when it's summer it's light nearly all of the time so I haven't had a chance to try it.

Regarding the sounds, on @Marty Backe vide, I hear the typical GOTWAY turn on beep, then the synthesized chime. Does that synthesized chime occur EVEN when the Bluetooth is NOT connected??? The chime itself is not so bad, it's the digital tone that is a little annoying. The V10F has that synthesized chime on turn on and off, just not the short continuous loud tone. And NO sound on bluetooth connect at all. 

5 hours ago, maltocs said:

Regarding the sounds, on @Marty Backe vide, I hear the typical GOTWAY turn on beep, then the synthesized chime. Does that synthesized chime occur EVEN when the Bluetooth is NOT connected??? The chime itself is not so bad, it's the digital tone that is a little annoying. The V10F has that synthesized chime on turn on and off, just not the short continuous loud tone. And NO sound on bluetooth connect at all. 

The startup tone sequence occurs independent of the Bluetooth connection. Real bummer, but I'll live.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LucasD said:

Can you disable starting beeps on Gotway wheels (any models)?

Not on any Gotway wheel

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, Nils said:

Bring it to a basement or enclosed garage complex, then you get an idea of what the headlight. 

On 6/5/2019 at 11:48 AM, maltocs said:

... The V10F has that synthesized chime on turn on and off, just not the short continuous loud tone. And NO sound on bluetooth connect at all. 

? I'm pretty sure my V10F has sounds for bluetooth connect and disconnect. (Separate ones for bluetooth connect to wheel vs bluetooth connect to speaker.) Although as with all InMotion wheels, using the app you can turn these things off or change the individual sounds.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

? I'm pretty sure my V10F has sounds for bluetooth connect and disconnect. (Separate ones for bluetooth connect to wheel vs bluetooth connect to speaker.) Although as with all InMotion wheels, using the app you can turn these things off or change the individual sounds.

In that case I must have turned mine off. Mine makes no noise whatsoever on BT connect. I always have to double check my phone to make sure it connected. 

49 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, there are negatives, but where it really counts (riding), The Nikola rules IMHO

Well that was a hugh praise post. But what you might consider negatives some could see as selling point. of course depending of what they are. 

I give you an example: I like the round look, but i dislike the glossy look a lot. (some maybe favour glossy finish ´, but I don't, never do)

And yes that is my opinion. same goes for teh scorpion handle, without having tested it, I am not writing it off like many others have done.

• Like 1

High praise indeed. Cheers for the early feedback Marty.

But if I think about it, that's how it should be - manufacturers ought to be able to take the research and learning from their prior models and make something better than has come before. It's a sign of a competent and confident manufacturer. Doesn't always work out that way unfortunately but in this case - well done Gotway!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the impressions and feedback Marty. The only part I was worried about was the slippery sides and the width and these don't seem to be issues.
The side pads resolve any slipperiness I imagine.

The 84v 1600wh is a very sufficient spec like you say. Between Wednesday and Thursday I did 100km on my MSX 84v 1600wh and the battery settled at 25%. I was riding 35km/h on my way home and getting some beeps when voltage dipped. Some of the riding was extremely slow though as my wife was really crawling on her Onewheel. But still...

If it does 95% of the job 95% of the time then it's usually perfect. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

84v 1600wh is a very sufficient spec like you say. Between Wednesday and Thursday I did 100km on my MSX 84v 1600wh and the battery settled at 25%. I was riding 35km/h on my way home and getting some beeps when voltage dipped. Some of the riding was extremely slow though as my wife was really crawling on her Onewheel.

Jeez i need to try slower then this is my average miles ☹️☹️

Screenshot-20190607-064608-com-android-g

That's a fast average @stephen. And I would really have to burn on straights to get that. The fact what I weigh 63kg gives me a bit more range as well.
Still... you haven't seen hell until you have been forced to ride at 15km/h with a turtle.
My average for those 100km turned out to be around 17.5 km/h. I could probably get close to 100 with your average as well depending on wind etc.
My top speed was 45km/h that I hit a few times. 

• Like 1