My 84-volt Nikola Triumphs, Tribulations, and Failures

@Marty Backe , 

I knew you were going to like the wheel, as I like it too. Besides the speed and acceleration this wheel is very agile going slowly too. I was able to very tightly maneuver around people with 60 pounds of groceries in my hand in the city.  My one big complaint is the shell on the right side creaks with pressure, almost like it’s not seated correctly. This drives me crazy, as I can hear it and feel it dimple in.. Does your wheel have this issue ? I might take it apart it see if I can shore it up from behind..  The shell on the left seems fine. Other then that, this wheel is a beauty, and speeds along immediately. I’d like to try a 84v to feel the difference.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

right side creaks with pressure

On the Monster that bespeaks either cracks along the shell pedal column or simply the need to tighten the axle nut against the pedal column.

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

2019-06-07_10-52-38

Why I Think The Nikola Is The Best Wheel At This Moment

I’ve ridden it about 100-miles since Monday. I’ve taken on my first mountain test (picture above), climbing 5100-feet to ~11,000-feet. I’ve ridden it on tough rocky trails which demonstrated to me that it has superb low speed power (torque).

First, if you have a MSX, KS18XL, etc., I’m not saying to necessarily run out and buy one. My commentary is for those of you who want to move up and have been torn as to which wheel to get. You can now safely skip the MSX, KS18XL, etc.

The tire. It’s huge like the MSX. It’s wonderful like the MSX for dealing with crappy trails, roads, etc. But it’s a little bit smaller so you get better handling like a 16-inch wheel. I think this is the perfect size, between 16 & 18 inches. The tire is the main reason I say skip the KS18XL.

The shell. It looks big (wide) but it’s an optical illusion because of the handle. But the shell actually has a nice taper away from the legs, unlike the MSX (which is more boxy). So it’s actually very comfy to ride and took me zero adjustment period like the Tesla, MSX, etc.

The pedals. They don’t have the large dihedral angle like the MSX. Just your typical semi-flat angle. And they are huge. I did ride it through some snow (11,000-ft) and the ‘plastic grip tape’ does suck - slippery when wet 🙁  However, because your feet are lower compared to the MSX and the top of the shell isn’t ‘digging’ into your upper leg, The Nikola rides and handles like a dream.

I don’t know of course until I ride one, but the 16X shell looks boxy like the MSX, where it hits your leg. Time will tell.

Based on my rugged trail riding with the Nikola, it exhibits superb low speed power to slowly climb up and over very large rocks, etc. Going downhill also feels very secure.

I have lots of wheels that I will continue to use for variety, etc., But I think The Nikola is now my wheel of choice for mountains, trails, long group rides, just about everything. And for you speed freaks, just buy the 100-volt version.

Yes, there are negatives, but where it really counts (riding), The Nikola rules IMHO

On a side note, I have now retired my ACM as the best all purpose wheel.

Here is my topic on the DRL grip tape I put on my KS18S.  Amazing stuff.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Looks like I have to buy a Nikola;)

How would you compare the two for mountain riding? Especially any notable torque differences? Overheating? Can't wait for an overheat hill video.

Btw. that photo is glorious! :wub:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

@Marty Backe , 

I knew you were going to like the wheel, as I like it too. Besides the speed and acceleration this wheel is very agile going slowly too. I was able to very tightly maneuver around people with 60 pounds of groceries in my hand in the city.  My one big complaint is the shell on the right side creaks with pressure, almost like it’s not seated correctly. This drives me crazy, as I can hear it and feel it dimple in.. Does your wheel have this issue ? I might take it apart it see if I can shore it up from behind..  The shell on the left seems fine. Other then that, this wheel is a beauty, and speeds along immediately. I’d like to try a 84v to feel the difference.

I have noticed creaking sometimes but haven't bothered to isolate which side it may be coming from. Over time so many of my wheels creak that I guess it doesn't bother me anymore.

Yes, love this wheel and totally agree that the low speed handling is great, even when traversing a mini uphill trail rock garden :-)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Marty, not sure why you would mention speed limitations since you don’t really take advantage of the top speed of any of the faster Gw wheels.  

As for the imitation non abrasive grip tape,  go get a roll of real stuff by DKL.  They are amazing and don’t lose grip when wet.  I think it even seems to have more grip when wet.  I love them on my KS18S.  Some of the guys around here are already sold on it and will be putting it on all their wheels.  Lol

I mention the speed for others. You're right, it's perfect for me.

That's for the grip tape info. I'll look into but I may not do anything in my case because I rarely ride where things get wet.

53 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Looks like I have to buy a Nikola;)

How would you compare the two for mountain riding? Especially any notable torque differences? Overheating? Can't wait for an overheat hill video.

Btw. that photo is glorious! :wub:

Except for possible overheating I think I've ridden in all the tough trail conditions that I normally encounter. It has superb low-speed torque but is so much nicer for climbing over small rock gardens because of the fat tire.

I did think it was going to be tough to take a bad picture here :-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have noticed creaking sometimes but haven't bothered to isolate which side it may be coming from. Over time so many of my wheels creak that I guess it doesn't bother me anymore.

Yes, love this wheel and totally agree that the low speed handling is great, even when traversing a mini uphill trail rock garden :-)

The creaking is because they didn’t put enough padding between the case and battery.   You need to open it up and put more of the squishy tape they use.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Here is my topic on the DRL grip tape I put on my KS18S.  Amazing stuff.  

The product page describes it this way: "Instead of abrasion, we use concepts like molecular adhesion and the plow effect to achieve the same friction as sandpaper" and "its material is similar to the rubber found on ping pong paddles." That sounds very interesting. I bookmarked this so I can try it when I need new grip tape.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

2019-06-07_10-52-38

I’ve ridden it about 100-miles since Monday. I’ve taken on my first mountain test (picture above), climbing 5100-feet to ~11,000-feet. I’ve ridden it on tough rocky trails which demonstrated to me that it has superb low speed power (torque).

First, if you have a MSX, KS18XL, etc., I’m not saying to necessarily run out and buy one. My commentary is for those of you who want to move up and have been torn as to which wheel to get. You can now safely skip the MSX, KS18XL, etc.

The tire. It’s huge like the MSX. It’s wonderful like the MSX for dealing with crappy trails, roads, etc. But it’s a little bit smaller so you get better handling like a 16-inch wheel. I think this is the perfect size, between 16 & 18 inches. The tire is the main reason I say skip the KS18XL.

The shell. It looks big (wide) but it’s an optical illusion because of the handle. But the shell actually has a nice taper away from the legs, unlike the MSX (which is more boxy). So it’s actually very comfy to ride and took me zero adjustment period like the Tesla, MSX, etc.

The pedals. They don’t have the large dihedral angle like the MSX. Just your typical semi-flat angle. And they are huge. I did ride it through some snow (11,000-ft) and the ‘plastic grip tape’ does suck - slippery when wet 🙁  However, because your feet are lower compared to the MSX and the top of the shell isn’t ‘digging’ into your upper leg, The Nikola rides and handles like a dream.

I don’t know of course until I ride one, but the 16X shell looks boxy like the MSX, where it hits your leg. Time will tell.

Based on my rugged trail riding with the Nikola, it exhibits superb low speed power to slowly climb up and over very large rocks, etc. Going downhill also feels very secure.

I have lots of wheels that I will continue to use for variety, etc., But I think The Nikola is now my wheel of choice for mountains, trails, long group rides, just about everything. And for you speed freaks, just buy the 100-volt version.

Yes, there are negatives, but where it really counts (riding), The Nikola rules IMHO

Great stuff Marty 👍🏼  It’s good to hear how much you love you nikola too.. I finally got mine last night.   And I am loving it so far.  Only about 8 miles in right now but it’s great.  It rides and handles really perfectly, I can’t wait to do some trails and get a feel for it. 

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

2019-06-07_10-52-38

Great stuff Marty 👍🏼  It’s good to hear how much you love you nikola too.. I finally got mine last night.   And I am loving it so far.  Only about 8 miles in right now but it’s great.  It rides and handles really perfectly, I can’t wait to do some trails and get a feel for it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

@Marty Backe , 

I''ll confirm the same with my Nikola. Doing some one-legged riding it creaks on the right side when pressing with the right leg, but not on the left. The fact that we both have the same creaking pattern makes me think it's something to do with the construction, and not an individual defect. I've read earlier somewhere on the forum that someone reported creaking upon pressure as well.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

The product page describes it this way: "Instead of abrasion, we use concepts like molecular adhesion and the plow effect to achieve the same friction as sandpaper" and "its material is similar to the rubber found on ping pong paddles." That sounds very interesting. I bookmarked this so I can try it when I need new grip tape.

It's less than 15 bucks and a few minutes of time.  It is kind of a no brainer.  This stuff is amazing!  

8 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

My one big complaint is the shell on the right side creaks with pressure, almost like it’s not seated correctly. This drives me crazy, as I can hear it and feel it dimple in.. Does your wheel have this issue ?

Oh man, that would drive me nuts, especially if I'm going to spend $2,800 on a 100 volt. Please let us know if you are able to fix the creak if you ever decide to take the wheel apart.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scully said:

Anyone know if there is a difference in pedal height between the Nikola and MSX?

I haven't measured it yet, but I would guess it's a little lower. But it's the lack of a severe dihedral angle that really keeps your closer to the ground.

Ok..   so I got My nikola last night and have put about 30 miles on it today.    But I can’t go above 15 -20 mph without serious ridiculous wobbles.  Like about to throw me off wobbles.     I only have a ks16s and a inmotion v8 so this is my first high powered wheel. But damn am I doing something wrong. Is there something wrong with my wheel.   .

?  The motor has a very noticeable grrrrowl or groan. It’s defff. Not silent.  It doesn’t have the ks height pitch whine but it grinds inside kinda.  Is that normal ?  And I can’t get the hang of it.  Some one please reassure me and tell me that I’ll figure out how to ride my 2000$ wheel. Lol.  I’m kinda stressin 

Edited by Lucas Alexander Oliver

2 minutes ago, Lucas Alexander Oliver said:

Ok..   so I got My nikola last night and have put about 30 miles on it today.    But I can’t go above 15 -20 mph without serious ridiculous wobbles.  Like about to throw me off wobbles.     I only have a ks16s and a inmotion v8 so this is my first high powered wheel. But damn am I doing something wrong. Is there something wrong with my wheel.   .

?  The motor has a very noticeable grrrrowl or groan. It’s defff. Not silent.  It doesn’t have the ks height pitch whine but it grinds inside kinda.  Is that normal ?  And I can’t get the hang of it.  Some one please reassure me and tell me that I’ll figure out how to ride my 2000$ wheel. Lol.  I’m kinda stressin 

It'll be you - you just need to relax and practice.

You'll soon get used to the wheel and the wobbles will go.

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I haven't measured it yet, but I would guess it's a little lower. But it's the lack of a severe dihedral angle that really keeps your closer to the ground.

Even so, you're happy with the height for trail riding and rocky paths?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

@Marty Backe could you post some pic. MSX vs Nikola, few different angles, please.... :))

The pedals feel like the ACM pedals, just bigger

• Like 1