The Tyre (Tire) Thread

Smoother

So on FB someone said the Kenda K262 fits w/o shaving knobs onto an MSX/MSP and that it is actually slimmer than the Shinko SR241 that I have on my MSX.  So, I've ordered the K262 in anticipation of my S18 order arriving.   IDK if it will fit under the fender... but why have an off-road wheel with a road-only tire?  Same with big expensive heavy batteries that don't swap like my DeWalt tools... I've even seen a e-bike with DeWalt batteries.  

Meanwhile, I still have the 14x2.50" knobby that I used through winter on the MSX... it might make a better choice for my S18 ... if I'd want to tolerate the road-vibration... but hmmm maybe the shock would absorb that???  hmmm the decision on the tire isn't about the cost of a tire. 

What should I try on it 1st? 

a)  the 14x2.50" knobby

b) the Kenda K262

c) ride it w/ road tire 1st (at high risk on grass and mud)

Edited by Elliott Reitz

1 hour ago, Elliott Reitz said:

What should I try on it 1st? 

a)  the 14x2.50" knobby

b) the Kenda K262

@Elliott Reitz I think option b) with the great reports the Kenda K262 has been getting from Veteran reviewers, with surprisingly good results On Road too!  As you stated, the only concern is whether it will fit under the fender of the S18, but someone needs to try it as the final production choice of the Chao Yang H-5102 is hopeless for muddy Off Road/wet conditions!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

a)  the 14x2.50" knobby

b) the Kenda K262

Since even the Kenda closeups look identical to the CST C-186, I shall assume that it has pretty much the same dimensions as well.

I’m sorry to say this, but I’m quite sure that the Kenda won’t fit on the S18. Even the H-5102 seems to fill the fender much more closely than it fills the MSX cavity, and even on the MSX the C-186 is a very tight fit without a little sanding on the shell openings.

The C-186/K262 is a much taller tire due to the knobs, and it wouldn’t fit most other EUCs either.

A 2.50-14 motorcycle tire (which is what I’m sure you’re referring to) is quite a bit smaller, and should fit the S18 just fine. So I’m afraid a) and c) are your only options. If you plan on off-roading with the wheel even occasionally, I’d go with the knobby, or maybe search for a 18x3.0 with a better pattern than the H-5102. Even the CST C-1488 would be a great improvement, and a sure fit. The suspension could tame the knobby’s vibration a bit, but my guess is not by very much.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

@mrelwood How would you compare the H-5102 to the much more desirable H-666 in regards to dimensions?  Kuji's pre-production S18 arrived with one fitted, but in his final test/review video it was shown with a different tire fitted (same as the earlier prototype IIRC, not sure if he changed it himself though or it was a second wheel).

My preference would be to install the Chao Yang H-666 on my S18, if clearance does not prove to be an issue since King Song adjusted the moldings/dimensions?

@mrelwood I have just found your previous "200km tire review" that answers this very question, so I now have all the information I need, thanks.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A question to the forum, I am sure @mrelwoodhas a straight up answer for this one, being the rubber guru here :)

WHERE on earth can i find a inner tube 16*2.125 for the GW Tesla (bent nozzle with 0 degree "outwards angle" = in line with tube is the original and i guess the only one that fits) for a quick delivery in Europe (Sweden to be more exact).

speedyfeet is out of stock on tesla tube besides angle of nozzle is 90° = would have hit frame, but has the 2.5" v10 tube (might fit even though its a 2.5" width tube vs Tesla 2.125")

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/products/inmotion-v10-inner-tube

eunicycles are out of stock

https://eunicycles.eu/en/inner-tubes/11-16-inch-inner-tube.html

Found a non cst tube with brass nozzle on Ali Express but delivery time makes me wanna cry (20-40 days = a month) and i really want a quality tube after 3 flats where last one tore my index finger strsight open, so cant ride for a few weeks now (at least)

Also found a CST tube with 60° angle with a better 22 day delivery but i guess it will hit the frame too :(

My original...attached, but mended 2 times now and last flat wad from a previous mend that opened up, i am thinking the small amount of tyre sealant left in the tyre de-vulked the mend and made it spray out air...or maybe allowed the snake bit puncture to tear tube outside the mend that with the patch from  Zefal.  Either way it leaks at the patch so tube is defentiely done and I won't fix it one more time. Risk of another blowout is simply to big.

1448590698-1305342690.jpg

Edited by Boogieman

11 hours ago, Boogieman said:

WHERE on earth can i find a inner tube 16*2.125 for the GW Tesla (bent nozzle with 0 degree "outwards angle" = in line with tube is the original and i guess the only one that fits) for a quick delivery in Europe (Sweden to be more exact).

Your findings are as much as I've found on the subject as well. 0° angle tubes are hard to find.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:07 PM, Boogieman said:

A question to the forum, I am sure @mrelwoodhas a straight up answer for this one, being the rubber guru here :)

speedyfeet is out of stock on tesla tube besides angle of nozzle is 90° = would have hit frame, but has the 2.5" v10 tube (might fit even though its a 2.5" width tube vs Tesla 2.125")

https://eenwiel.eu/en/collections/onderdelen/products/binnenband?variant=32068823842876

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 10:03 AM, Dancer said:

I Shermanised my Monster with the Kenda K262 2.75-17. First impressions are great.

IMG_20200715_094653

What are your impressions on the tire? 

Also, do you think 3.0 would fit into the shell? I think it would be fine width-wise, but not sure about the height (clearance on top of the tire)... 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:03 AM, Dancer said:

I Shermanised my Monster with the Kenda K262 2.75-17. First impressions are great.

IMG_20200715_094653

I just did the same on my S18 (K262 2.75x14).  Previously I put a Shinko SR244 and then a SR241 onto my MSX.  Both of those required knob shaving.  The K262 just fit on the MSX.  On the S18 I had to remove the inner fender (its diameter was slightly bigger than the stock tire).

14 hours ago, Sabestian said:

Also, do you think 3.0 would fit into the shell? I think it would be fine width-wise, but not sure about the height (clearance on top of the tire)...

It makes off-road possible where a road tire wouldn't work at all. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

So what prevents the tire from rubbing the motor cable?
(It's just above the fender...)

Only the natural bend in the wire with the spring-winding over it.  I've verified it works by deflating/inflating the shock.  I was concerned about it because the inner fender had an attachment on it.  So I considered cutting out that section of the fender and using it if necessary, but its not necessary. 

On 8/25/2020 at 12:44 PM, Sabestian said:

It is a big improvement off road, but it took me a few weeks to get used to the tire on paved roads. It is not as stable an the stock tire, turning takes some more leaning.

I don't think the 3.00 will fit, the diameter is 14 mm bigger and i don't have 7 mm space on top of the tire.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en-eu/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/scooter/k262-small-block/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A question for those who have any variant of what we commonly know as the "Nikola Tyre" CST C-1488. 

It seems every flagship wheel is coming with tyre stock now except the sherman.. why though? Is it really the the most amazing tyre out there? As far as I know it's one of the cheapest offerings from CST. 

17 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

A question for those who have any variant of what we commonly know as the "Nikola Tyre" CST C-1488. 

It seems every flagship wheel is coming with tyre stock now except the sherman.. why though? Is it really the the most amazing tyre out there? As far as I know it's one of the cheapest offerings from CST. 

Think you answered your own question there. Oh and it happens to fit the new wheel designs... as an afterthought 🤦🏻‍♂️.

19 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

The Nikola doesn't come with it anymore. They switched to the CST C-1773. Unless it was a temporary thing.

Most tyres are good tyres. My friend replaced his C-1488 on his MSP with a C-186. He hated it. Next day I tried it... pointed out some stuff to him about how it rides with inverted/reverse input compared to the stock. I could finally ride it properly after around 70km. Then I struggled to ride my Nikola home. He stuck to it and now he loves it and is keeping it.

The 1488 is a great cushy tyre with nice grip. I just wish it didn't have that racing strip... but that is soon solved.
5555km and still going... it's pretty much a slick now lol but a blast to ride.
13000km on my H-5102 on the MSX and still going... also a slick. I prefer it to the 1488 on the MSP though.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 8:20 AM, Tinkererboi said:

It seems every flagship wheel is coming with tyre stock now except the sherman.. why though? Is it really the the most amazing tyre out there?

Most amazing? Absolutely not. EUCs generally don’t come equipped with most amazing anything...

My guess(es): Availability, familiar to many riders, safe choice (Msupers since a century ago), and EUC friendly range of sizes.

So far Inmotion is the only manufacturer who has asked for tire suggestions, for the V11. How do your think GW would respond if you suggested a tire for them to use in their wheels? Crickets. At best.

The most amazing tire is of course the ChaoYang H-666, which is not manufactured anymore. I haven’t yet found a tire that could even remotely take it’s place.

• Like 3

I see. Good thing I didn't waste time and money trying one out myself yet.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The most amazing tire is of course the ChaoYang H-666, which is not manufactured anymore. I haven’t yet found a tire that could even remotely take it’s place.

Well if the H-666 Hercules is chaoyang's most costly tyre, then the CST equivalent has to be the Aegis Shield line. Have not tried it myself but you can see some similarities in the design. Might be worth a try 😏 

Edit: Can't find it anymore either except on the secondhand market. Maybe it's discontinued too

Edited by Tinkererboi

On 9/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

The Nikola doesn't come with it anymore. They switched to the CST C-1773.

It's advertised as tubeless, is that correct? Have you ridden that one? Feedback appreciated

O1CN019jC0s022CWG1COtyM_!!2332047084.jpg

(I couldn't find a vendor for the 16" size...) 

On 1/15/2020 at 6:52 AM, Pingouin said:

lB99zrd.jpg

Most important is the feeling of the EUC, how it rides ! With CST tire, it's agile enough to be able to avoid obstacles quickly an urban environment.

Edited by RagingGrandpa

On 8/25/2020 at 11:40 PM, RagingGrandpa said:

So what prevents the tire from rubbing the motor cable?
(It's just above the fender...)

On 8/26/2020 at 10:33 AM, Elliott Reitz said:

Only the natural bend in the wire with the spring-winding over it.  I've verified it works by deflating/inflating the shock.  I was concerned about it because the inner fender had an attachment on it.  So I considered cutting out that section of the fender and using it if necessary, but its not necessary. 

Update:  I cut out the left side of the inner fender and put it on.  Before that I was getting some cable rub to the tire that didn't show up till later with shock pressure low.  Its rub free now.  In the 1st pic in front is the part (majority) of the inner fender that's removed. In the 2nd pic you can see the left-side piece of inner fender installed beside to the right of the tire against the outer fender.

20200827_112612c.JPG

20200827_112622c.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, anybody ever had a tyre that ended up not fitting despite being supposedly the correct size? 

I've spotted this nice looking 16x3.0 tyre with extra thick thread. Think it would be awesome for offroading and soaking up sharp impacts like stairs. However the chinese writing in one of the pictures says width: 8.2cm. I'm kinda comfused as none of my 16x3.0 inch tyres has ever been that fat, not to mention that's way above 3 inches. Can't help but wonder if the measurements were taken wrongly or something. 

Anyways i'm stuck between getting the 2.5 size or just risking it on a 3.0 that might not fit. If a 3.0 that did not fit is unheard of so far, i'll just gamble on it I guess.

3 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

Hey guys, anybody ever had a tyre that ended up not fitting despite being supposedly the correct size? 

I've spotted this nice looking 16x3.0 tyre with extra thick thread. Think it would be awesome for offroading and soaking up sharp impacts like stairs. However the chinese writing in one of the pictures says width: 8.2cm. I'm kinda comfused as none of my 16x3.0 inch tyres has ever been that fat, not to mention that's way above 3 inches. Can't help but wonder if the measurements were taken wrongly or something. 

Anyways i'm stuck between getting the 2.5 size or just risking it on a 3.0 that might not fit. If a 3.0 that did not fit is unheard of so far, i'll just gamble on it I guess.

Some riders have purchased 18x3 wheels with aggressive knobby patterns that required shaving or cutting the knobs on the side.
It was nice of that page to show 8.2cm as the width. Perhaps you could show us a photo or give us a link to the page?

10 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Some riders have purchased 18x3 wheels with aggressive knobby patterns that required shaving or cutting the knobs on the side.
It was nice of that page to show 8.2cm as the width. Perhaps you could show us a photo or give us a link to the page?

7.0复制这行话 Http:/T¥e4k2chWXzfS¥到👉氵匋寳👈【16*3.0 16x2.5电动车防爆 耐刺 耐磨防滑八层级 真空胎 轮胎】

20201012_115206.thumb.jpg.938ad182eb2749ed3995c40a624d47ec.jpg

Screenshot_20201011-220333.thumb.jpg.833324bd098a2ca5d9934b7340a02d5e.jpg

7mm deep grooves! 🤯 it's like a knobby without the knobs

Edited by Tinkererboi
Add pics
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...