The Tyre (Tire) Thread

Smoother

On 8/2/2019 at 6:32 AM, mrelwood said:

1) I tend to look for a suitable tread pattern for the intended usage, and out of those choose the one with best comfort. Kenda tends to do harder rubber compounds, while ChaoYang is usually a lot softer.

2) If you choose the correct size, the photo in the eBay auction will change to reflect the actual tire.
At least that’s the principle. However, as most auctions say nowadays, the actual pattern may be different. If you want a specific tire, you must discuss this personally with any Chinese seller.

3) In my understanding the anti-puncture layer is at the wearing part on the tire only. So it would still not help with a thorn on the sidewall.

1)
a) Same here, want some pattern on the middle for offroad but not too much to make it slappry in the city.
Deciding between the first ones - the last is hit and miss it feels like but i do like the pattern a lot.
168 store - wrong angle on valve but tyre looks good

Tian store - wrong angle again but valve look "premium" compared to many, tyre has a good pattern

Feelcool - seems like a robust built tyre and pattern is ok - but wrong angle MAYBE? Impossible to tell on pictures

Bicycle parts store - a bit wider than 2.125 (60mm instread of the normal 54) and looks nice

Pattern on tyre looks perfect for on off road - but says KIDS tyre which make me think its not very robust :(

b) Main problem is the tube as the Gotway Tesla has a 45degree angle on the shraeder and i can only find 0 or 90 degree bent vavles (and straight of course but that wont work)
This was basically the only ones i found after hours of searching
222 store - the only 45ish degree valve i found, but looks like they found it on the dump :)

222 store - seems like 0 degree angle but i gues it should work to twist a little. Tube looks pretty crappy though

Tian store - same as above 0 degree on type C (the other types wont work)

2) Ok, so the tire represented might not be the one i get unless i tell them?

3) Yes, the wearing part is where most punctures happen (has to me at least) - though im not sure how effective it is even though the image is clearly excagerating :)

Edited by Boogieman

31 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

I ordered it right now for my V8, hope it will fit and it's really a tire for e-bikes. 

Screenshot_20190806-230840_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 minute ago, buell47 said:

I ordered it right now for my V8, hope it will fit and it's really a tire for e-bikes. 

Screenshot_20190806-230840_Samsung Internet.jpg

Did You order the "kids tyre" or the one You sent a picture on - two totally different tyres :)

Now I have narrowed down tyres a bit, will probably order 2:

For the straight valve hose included - I wonder if tyre is good - pattern seems good - but strange brand?
Brand: cxjwt (never heard it) but worrying that its printed max load 70Kg load at 35PSI on the tyre - cant be right if its for an ebike :D

And this one - the pattern seems like a good mix for on off road
Brand: CHENXUANJI

Are the EUC tyres made in a different way than e-bike tyres?
Is it even advisable to chooose brands like above?
If not - where can i find the valve angle inner tube and patterns like those?

Edited by Boogieman

13 hours ago, Boogieman said:

For the straight valve hose included - I wonder if tyre is good - pattern seems good - but strange brand?
Brand: cxjwt (never heard it) but worrying that its printed max load 70Kg load at 35PSI on the tyre - cant be right if its for an ebike :D

The first one looks identical to the ChaoYang H-5102, which has a lousy grip on wet off road.

I wouldn’t worry about the max load values, or wether the auction title has the word ”kid” in it or not. Nobody makes actual EUC tires, they are just a suitable size for an EUC. And nobody has ruined an EUC tire by overinflating either.

13 hours ago, Boogieman said:

If not - where can i find the valve angle inner tube and patterns like those?

If you need the inner tube as well, a sure way of getting a suitable valve is to buy the tube from an EUC retailer and the outer tire from whichever place you get your preferred pattern.

I found this on Ali on Kenda tire patterns. While it might not be absolutely accurate in description, at least it's a collection of threads available :-) and the Eng-neese descriptions are always fun to read :-)

I guess K1039 is a follow up of K1029, very similar pattern. 

-1317877283266218706.thumb.jpg.fe3566619342d5a6c4823705de7f755f.jpg

i will be looking for the K924 as thats basically the only good mix of on/off-road tire. Will probably order a original tyre as well as the pattern on the CST is pretty nice when fresh, now that I have been comparing. Mine is probably slippery due to being bald on the middle at least :-) Though I am not too far from using the full pattern width as can be seen on the ground down "mini knobs", I just have to "carve all the time" if i want even wear :efeebb3acc:

20190809_171955-2016x980.thumb.jpg.9c2afdf458b224017c79ad9b86999311.jpg

It's a real pity that its not "easy" to be able to change between tyres.

Imagine having 2 quick replacable rims, one with pure street and one knobby mounted and just be able to swap tyre/rim in say 5minutes, just attaching it to the motor in some smart way.

Edited by Boogieman

On 5/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, RoCan said:

Update on this tyre I fitted to my V8 is that it's fantastic off road but is a lot more difficult on the hard flats. Not sure if this is what @T0me was referring to above regarding not running true with the other tyres he has tried. I find the wheel wanting to suddenly veer off which I can only presume is due to the fairly aggressive tread not having any curve to the outer profile. So once the wheel banks to this critical point you lose control grip. For me this is worth it as I only ride off road but for anyone considering it for mixed terrain I would not recommend it.

I'm very keen to hear from @mrelwood regarding the motorcycle tyre he has on order as I've just ordered this one for my Msuper V3. Bit of a punt as to whether it will fit or not but I couldn't resist the knobbies. :dribble:

If you feel it wobbly mainly when you're turning,   that's out of true.    As in,  like a crush washer isn't flat.    That's what I got on all the kiddie bmx tyres I've tried.   
Kinda feels like its squishy when riding straight and you feel the wobble when you turn/lean.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, RoCan said:

It’s dry today but been wet all week. The first ride on my MSX where I really felt the lack of grip on the stock tire. To be fair I was in the woods so it hadn’t dried out too much but I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Found a few jumps and went arse over tit, lost all confidence in the tire unless it’s bone dry. :(

So... just ordered this one. It looks to be a good compromise with a smooth profile due to the angled treads. I’ll lose some width but less hassle than shaving the side knobbies of the Shinko 2.75 options.

I’ll report back once received and fitted. :D

Update on the search for my perfect MSX off road wet tyre.

The Vee Rubber VRM087 2.5x14 on the left I think would be amazing if it came in 3” but I was not willing to fit it as the 2.5” is just too narrow. I was hoping, it being a moped tyre, might be wider but it was too big a drop from the stock tyre. So I sent it back.

I then found, what I presume was old stock, a Cheng Shin 2.75x14 that I got very excited about. As you can see it has a much flatter profile so I thought this would feel like a wider tyre despite being slightly narrower than the stock tyre. Unfortunately this was horrendous in the wet. :cry2: The flat profile created a smooth “plate” that not only lost grip front to back but also side to side and rotated clockwise and anti-clockwise. This was the most unstable I have ever felt on a wheel.

To be fair, this tyre is a road tyre but I thought that tread would be an improvement on the slick middle strip on the stock tyre. What I have noticed is these moped tyres are made of a much harder almost glossy rubber that I’m not sure would ever work well off road in the wet. The sticky squishy stock tyre is still preferable at a lower pressure.

However, I want more tread! So that only leaves the Shinko / CST options. Has anyone fitted this one and can please add some feedback?

Shinko SR244

Also, has anyone fitted this one and did the side knobbies need shaving like Gaz Bon had to do with the Shinko SR241. They look very similar.

CST C186

:D

72B4A884-B7ED-4E4E-A092-827C561792E1.jpeg

313A4572-07BF-448C-9E75-9F88CCB72F96.jpeg

B91FA323-A455-460E-8D69-B6943A528FB9.jpeg

72D87EC3-4034-41E8-AE96-CC20120ED9EC.jpeg

• Like 2

The width of a motorcycle tire does not include the knobs or other tread features. Therefore a 2.75-14 is often as wide, and sometimes even wider than the original. The Shinko and CST you linked don’t seem to protrude much to the side though.

I am extremely happy with my ChaoYang H-666! If someone would change back the original, I would wipe out in the first curve, wet or not. The carving speeds I can do is insane. The only negative is that despite being 18x3.0 as well, it is a bit wider than the original, and it does rub to the shell unless I specifically align the shell to sit in the centre. I might grind the very edge of the tread at some point so that it wouldn’t rub at all when starting with one leg.

If I needed a different tire right now, I would try to hunt for the familiar CST C-1488 as a 18x3.0”. I did see a CST catalogue where the size was included, but haven’t searched for a shop that sells it.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The width of a motorcycle tire does not include the knobs or other tread features. Therefore a 2.75-14 is often as wide, and sometimes even wider than the original. The Shinko and CST you linked don’t seem to protrude much to the side though.

I am extremely happy with my ChaoYang H-666! If someone would change back the original, I would wipe out in the first curve, wet or not. The carving speeds I can do is insane. The only negative is that despite being 18x3.0 as well, it is a bit wider than the original, and it does rub to the shell unless I specifically align the shell to sit in the centre. I might grind the very edge of the tread at some point so that it wouldn’t rub at all when starting with one leg.

If I needed a different tire right now, I would try to hunt for the familiar CST C-1488 as a 18x3.0”. I did see a CST catalogue where the size was included, but haven’t searched for a shop that sells it.

The H-666 is tempting although do you think it will have enough tread for mud in the winter? This will be my first winter on an EUC and so I'm really looking for something with maximum tread that fits without rubbing or tyre modding. 

My attempts mentioned above were more with the idea of "mixed terrain" thinking, it's still summer so going all out motor cross tyre will stop me from carving on the dry tracks. Now summer is coming to an end and the tracks are wet even when the weather is fine, I'm thinking back to the MX pit tyre I had on my MSV3 that ripped through anything, but did rub and carving was not fun due to the spaced out knobbies.

It's a dilemma :confused1: I'm thinking one of the 2 above is a happy medium that would see me through the mud. It's just not knowing if they will fit.

I went for the CST C186 which looks the same as the Shinko SR241 so i expect to have to do some mods. I'll likely mod the shell rather than tyre though. Half the price of a Shinko as in the UK. Will report back on my progress. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RoCan said:

The H-666 is tempting although do you think it will have enough tread for mud in the winter?

It’s not a knobbly tire, and I don’t expect it to behave like one, either in good or in bad. However, the grip in most situations is as good and often even more stable as with a knobbly one, and notably better than I would’ve expected. I haven’t slipped with it even once, perhaps since I still remember how slippery the original and other regular tires were, so I still take muddy patches very carefully.

The fit is quite tight though, so it doesn’t take much to fill the space between the tire and the shell.

If your mind is set with a knobbly one, I don’t think you’d be happy with anything less. But the behaviour on pavement at speed is something you might not be prepared to tolerate after all.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Espen R said:

I've been looking for a off-road/winter tyre for my 18XL and came across a lot of different tyres in 60/100-14 dimention. Like this one: https://www.chapmoto.com/duro-dm1156-soft-terrain-front-tire-parent-2052511561460

Do you think it would fit or do you have other alternatives?

Widthwise it doesn't look like the knobs would be a problem on that specific tire, but I have no idea how roomy the 18XL is heightwise. You might have to just sacrifice the cost and try. I found a suitable knobby tire for my MSX second hand, so my experiment wasn't expensive at all.

The safest bet would be to choose a 18x2.50" with the roughest tread pattern you can find. Although that won't get you a proper motocross tire.

Edited by mrelwood

42 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Widthwise it doesn't look like the knobs would be a problem on that specific tire, but I have no idea how roomy the 18XL is heightwise. You might have to just sacrifice the cost and try. I found a suitable knobby tire for my MSX second hand, so my experiment wasn't expensive at all.

The safest bet would be to choose a 18x2.50" with the roughest tread pattern you can find. Although that won't get you a proper motocross tire.

I've bought a 18x2.5 bicycle tire, but that is way too thin, and the electric bicycle off- road tires looks very similar to my fat bike, and are not great for studs. I'm not sure if the 100 is the aspect ratio, 100% of the with, which by my great math skills means that it is 60mm??, and that might be too tall unless I shave off a cm or the measurement is done when the wheel is not mounted to a rim and without air. If the 100 is in mm, then it won’t work unless the measurement is off rim and without air. The weird thing is that 14" = 35.56cm, and if you add 10cm and convert it back to inches you get 17.93 inches.

4 hours ago, Espen R said:

I've been looking for a off-road/winter tyre for my 18XL and came across a lot of different tyres in 60/100-14 dimention. Like this one: https://www.chapmoto.com/duro-dm1156-soft-terrain-front-tire-parent-2052511561460

Do you think it would fit or do you have other alternatives?

I fitted a 60/100-14 pit tyre to my MSV3 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60-100-14-PIT-BIKE-MX-AGGRESSIVE-PATTERN-FRONT-TYRE-TUBE-REPLACES-2-75-14-T3/401757729819?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It states 2.75" but is was wider due to knobbies. 

11 hours ago, Espen R said:

I'm not sure if the 100 is the aspect ratio, 100% of the with, which by my great math skills means that it is 60mm??, and that might be too tall unless I shave off a cm or the measurement is done when the wheel is not mounted to a rim and without air. If the 100 is in mm, then it won’t work unless the measurement is off rim and without air.

Yes, it is the aspect ratio. But I’m not sure if the knobs are included or not. Since all 100 aspect ratio tires are knobbies, I think that they might be included.

Where exactly did you measure that it wouldn’t fit? From the rim edge? Because in my understanding the rim of a 18” tire is slightly larger than 14”, so that the inner diameter of the tire would be the exact 14” and the tire bead would fit on the ridge inside the rim. Then the 60mm height wouldn’t start from the rim edge but at the ridge inside the rim.

I’m not sure about that though, I’ll have to measure a bit.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 4:53 AM, mrelwood said:

Yes, it is the aspect ratio. But I’m not sure if the knobs are included or not. Since all 100 aspect ratio tires are knobbies, I think that they might be included.

Where exactly did you measure that it wouldn’t fit? From the rim edge? Because in my understanding the rim of a 18” tire is slightly larger than 14”, so that the inner diameter of the tire would be the exact 14” and the tire bead would fit on the ridge inside the rim. Then the 60mm height wouldn’t start from the rim edge but at the ridge inside the rim.

I’m not sure about that though, I’ll have to measure a bit.

If they measure from inside the rim edge, then it should fit in height. The with should also work, if 60 mm = 2.36 inches, but the 60/100 tire #RoCan linked was rated as 2.75. The world of tire measurement is a weird world:) I think I'll take a chance and go for the one I linked. With 40% of my riding being off-road and 20% on gravel roads, the original tire hasn't been that great for me, so if this tire works ok on asphalt, I might use it all year and just remove the added studs in the spring.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Espen R said:

60 mm = 2.36 inches, but the 60/100 tire #RoCan linked was rated as 2.75. The world of tire measurement is a weird world:)

Yeah... That part of the motorcycle tire sizes I haven't been able to grasp. One manufacturer may specify a 60/100 tire in their catalog as 2.75", while another calls it 2.50". And sometimes there is an actual width column for the tire list as well, which makes me stare for it for half an hour trying to understand wtf is going on.

21 minutes ago, Espen R said:

if this tire works ok on asphalt, I might use it all year and just remove the added studs in the spring.

If it indeed works for both situations, I would get a second one of the same, and just swap the tire. In my understanding the studs are a bit of a chore to insert/remove, and there are quite a few of them after all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If it indeed works for both situations, I would get a second one of the same, and just swap the tire. In my understanding the studs are a bit of a chore to insert/remove, and there are quite a few of them after all.

I've been looking at two different types of studs, where one is a screw in stud which is fairly easy to remove, and the other is a traditional car tire stud with a diy solution to mount them I found here in the forum. If I go for the car stud, I'll probably buy a second tire for summer use, but at the moment something like this is most likely what I would buy:

https://www.amazon.com/100pcs-Qiilu-Screws-Winter-Motorcycle/dp/B0778FMF1Z/ref=pd_cp_263_3?pd_rd_w=dCOak&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=6KZ67SRC11GNXHY73RZN&pd_rd_r=74f3bef4-d9e7-4f2c-9a72-56d1335bab36&pd_rd_wg=PiteE&pd_rd_i=B0778FMF1Z&psc=1&refRID=6KZ67SRC11GNXHY73RZN

On 8/6/2019 at 11:18 PM, buell47 said:

Oh sorry, wrong quote :efefc8626c:

I ordered Kenda K1039 

The whole search is in vain, if the Chinese think, if black, round and the right size, then everything is perfect. :furious:

I ordered a Kenda Kenda K1039 from AliExpress and received an extremely skewed Kenda K1087. :eff04a58a6:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

The whole search is in vain, if the Chinese think, if black, round and the right size, then everything is perfect. :furious:

I ordered a Kenda Kenda K1039 from AliExpress and received an extremely skewed Kenda K1087. :eff04a58a6:

That is exactly what I'm afraid of too. No excuse for shipping random tread pattern. Most of the listings I see state that a random one will ship too. 

I'm ordering 2 tires right now so I will feel your pain in a month and a half!

1 hour ago, RoCan said:

I found my happy place :D

I can recommend this CST C186 2.75x14 to off road MSX riders. No mods required to shell or side knobbies and no rubbing.

A little difficult to get it to sit straight which I think is due to it being a softer stickier rubber than some of the other motorbike tyres I’ve tried above. I’m also using the stock tube which is 3” so it may be pushing it around when inflating.

There is obviously a reduction in responsiveness in comparison to the stock tyre, which is expected with a knobby. This is a trade I’m willing to take for grip as it is still fun to carve and has an even response as the knobbies are closely packed and regularly spaced.

I’m ready for the wet winter mud! :w00t2: ... now all I need is a mudguard :facepalm:

ABC244F6-EB36-4713-A20F-BB3092914C45.jpeg

That is a great looking tire 

I have a shinko on mine and it's kickass 

Enjoy the ride it will be epic

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1