The Tyre (Tire) Thread

Smoother

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 8:35 AM, t0me said:

Anyone had any luck with any other tyres on this wheel?

Hi, I'm a noob here and on a wheel. Just bought a V8 but don't plan on using it at all on the roads. Tracks only. Just came across this one that might work for you T0me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenda-K817-Tyre-16-x-1-95/254198251422

I'm just ordering one but being inexperienced I probably wont be able to advise on it for a good 6 months!

Had a lot of fun today...first time out! :w00t2:

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RoCan said:

Hi, I'm a noob here and on a wheel. Just bought a V8 but don't plan on using it at all on the roads. Tracks only. Just came across this one that might work for you T0me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenda-K817-Tyre-16-x-1-95/254198251422

I'm just ordering one but being inexperienced I probably wont be able to advise on it for a good 6 months!

Had a lot of fun today...first time out! :w00t2:

Welcome @RoCan .   Let us know how your training goes.  and feel free to ask questions.

Almost revived an old tire thread and then found this one :rolleyes:

Has anyone used the 3 main manufacturer's tires (CST, Kenda and Chao Yang) for enough miles to give feedback on small bump absorption?  

The stock tire on my 16s is the anti puncture CST. The carcass is super stiff so small square edges bumps (like sidewalk joints about an inch high) really mess with my bad knee. The non anti puncture one on my mcm5 handles this much better. 

Jason at ewheels had Kendas but indont see much feedback on them. I'm pretty sure the Chao Yang tires are softer carcass than the CST tires. 

I like being able to run a decent amount of air pressure and not blow out my knee Haha. 

16s has 1350 miles and a lot of life left on the tire, at least another 500 to 700 miles. Mcm5 has 910 miles and it's going to barely hit 1k miles. 

I had two stock CST tires on my Gotway ACM for 5k kilometers (about 2.5k km each). I switched to the Chao Yang tire a few days ago because it was available. The Chao Yang feels notably softer and more rubbery and more conforming to the ground when riding. It also felt more bump-absorbing than the CST, which is really hard when pumped up fully (but the CST seems to lose a bit of air and thankfully get a bit softer a week after pumping it up and stays that way - no air loss otherwise, I only had to reinflate every few months). The CY feels more like an asphalt racer than the more treaded CST.

Not sure how big the difference would be for bigger bumps like your 1 inch curbs instead of the usual ground imperfections. But in regular riding, the CY feels notably softer as far as I can tell.

But I havent ridden it for long, and switched from an offroad tire, so I have no comparison going directly from the CST to the Chao Yang.

Thanks for the feedback. I was running 38 to 40psi on the anti puncture CST to keep it some what compliant (190lbs riding weight). The CST on the mcm5 is just an e bike pro, not the anti puncture,  and it is fine even at max pressure which I think is 50psi. I usually keep it at 45psi. 

My experience supports this as well, Chaoyangs tend to be more comfortable than CST or Kenda. There’s a drawback to softer rubber though: in order to get the same riding feel, a soft rubber tire must be pumped up further. The original MSX tire for example (Chaoyang H-5102) is a bit bouncy compared to a stiff-walled knobby motorcycle tire, both at 2.5 bars.

• Upvote 1

I guess the hard part is finding a place to order. On aliexpress they have them but the ad says the tread pattern and model varies.  

I spend about half my miles in the dirt. I try to avoid deep sand since it's not possible on 2.125 and I've already dropped the mcm5 in thick sticky mud. Just need a tire that's comfortable on a fire roads like @Marty Backe's trips up my Wilson. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flying W said:

tread pattern and model varies.  

Yes, I have ”some” experience on that...  The last one was a 2.50-14 motorcycle tire replaced with a 14x2.50 bicycle tire, so 4” too small a diameter.

I’m now expecting the correct tire to arrive though, since I was shown a photo and got a written confirmation that I will receive the exact same model that was in the photo. I’ll post here once it arrives in 3 weeks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this tyre I fitted to my V8 is that it's fantastic off road but is a lot more difficult on the hard flats. Not sure if this is what @T0me was referring to above regarding not running true with the other tyres he has tried. I find the wheel wanting to suddenly veer off which I can only presume is due to the fairly aggressive tread not having any curve to the outer profile. So once the wheel banks to this critical point you lose control grip. For me this is worth it as I only ride off road but for anyone considering it for mixed terrain I would not recommend it.

I'm very keen to hear from @mrelwood regarding the motorcycle tyre he has on order as I've just ordered this one for my Msuper V3. Bit of a punt as to whether it will fit or not but I couldn't resist the knobbies. :dribble:

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, RoCan said:

I'm very keen to hear from @mrelwood regarding the motorcycle tyre he has on order

I reviewed the two MSX tire replacements I’ve done, here:

And the shortly lived knobby one here (be sure to read the update posting as well):

19 hours ago, RoCan said:

as I've just ordered this one for my Msuper V3. Bit of a punt as to whether it will fit or not but I couldn't resist the knobbies. :dribble:

I’m sorry but I’m pretty much certain that it won’t fit on a MS V3. On a motorcycle tire the knobbies are not calculated in the width. Besides, the original MSX tire measures 2.75” (a 2.95” tire is a tight fit), so it is unlikely that it would fit even the MSX.

Hi RoCan,    out of true,  I mean the tyre doesn't sit around the tyre evenly,   meaning there's humps/bumps either around or side to side.     Like if it wasn't sitting in the bead properly (but not actually as these don't seat like that).      When I experienced the veering off it was low tyre pressure on mine.    I'm a fairly heavy bloke so on the stock ones I run them at 42psi (recommended max 40psi but they run very well at that pressure).   
EDIT:   Now I think of it,   the veering off could be that same out of true issue,   when you check the tyre for wobble,   look end on and spin it as well as looking at the side and spinning it.    If it looks like a crush washer looking at the sides that's what I experienced with most of the aftermarket options.

I'm back on an original fitment tyre now as nothing aftermarket I tried worked for me.
Seems they're all made for kiddie bmx's and I reckon these things really want the much stiffer sidewalls of a scooter type tyre.
Shame as these tyres as you say,  very little side tread for offroading in loose stuff.

Edited by t0me

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I reviewed the two MSX tire replacements I’ve done, here:

And the shortly lived knobby one here (be sure to read the update posting as well):

I’m sorry but I’m pretty much certain that it won’t fit on a MS V3. On a motorcycle tire the knobbies are not calculated in the width. Besides, the original MSX tire measures 2.75” (a 2.95” tire is a tight fit), so it is unlikely that it would fit even the MSX.

Thanks for the update and thoughts. Yeah I thought it a long shot as to whether this knobby would fit, although I see another rider in that thread had luck with one of the same size on an MSX. I thought it worth a go it being half the price of some I’ve seen.

Is the MSX tyre gap actually wider than the MS V3? 80mm on the V3 which I read you measured the MSX being also. I’m just concerned about the curved “reveal” at the tops being narrower which might collide with knobbies.

5 hours ago, t0me said:

Hi RoCan,    out of true,  I mean the tyre doesn't sit around the tyre evenly,   meaning there's humps/bumps either around or side to side.     Like if it wasn't sitting in the bead properly (but not actually as these don't seat like that).      When I experienced the veering off it was low tyre pressure on mine.    I'm a fairly heavy bloke so on the stock ones I run them at 42psi (recommended max 40psi but they run very well at that pressure).   
EDIT:   Now I think of it,   the veering off could be that same out of true issue,   when you check the tyre for wobble,   look end on and spin it as well as looking at the side and spinning it.    If it looks like a crush washer looking at the sides that's what I experienced with most of the aftermarket options.

I'm back on an original fitment tyre now as nothing aftermarket I tried worked for me.
Seems they're all made for kiddie bmx's and I reckon these things really want the much stiffer sidewalls of a scooter type tyre.
Shame as these tyres as you say,  very little side tread for offroading in loose stuff.

Thanks for clarifying that. I will have to check mine to see if there has been any buckling / warping as it is definitely a softer tyre than the original. 

Yes it’s a shame there doesn’t seem to be a good all rounder. 

Off topic but I am also a big bloke (6’4” 210 lbs). Are you still using the original pedals? The oval shape with gloss paint outer rim I’m really struggling with. I can’t justify the expense of the V10 larger pedals and I am cautious of adding extensions due to the need for drilling holes in the originals and it effecting resale.

I just used ali plate and made mine bigger.    

My front bumper didn't last as I was pulling the thing apart regularly to change tyres.    Was kinda sacrificial too as it did come off on any decent stack.    The pedals are still strong and working well.    Wouldn't be comfortable without them.

4 hours ago, t0me said:

I just used ali plate and made mine bigger.    

My front bumper didn't last as I was pulling the thing apart regularly to change tyres.    Was kinda sacrificial too as it did come off on any decent stack.    The pedals are still strong and working well.    Wouldn't be comfortable without them.

Extensions it is! Thanks for this 👍🏻

• 2 months later...

I just thought I would link a Gotway tesla tyre/tire discussion thread - to have all collected in one place.
You dont want to get tired :P looking for tire info

Edited by Boogieman

A lot of tires to chose from for the Tesla:

Hard time chosing, I am considering:
Kenda - The original I guess this is
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32993717106.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.1ff52e0ewxIzAA

The same just ebay? Seems like a different threading though?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenda-16-24-Electric-Bike-Tyres-Outer-Tires/112398947908?hash=item1a2b7fd644:m:mEEkWDl1NqmP9UxJ0-DaB7w

Rhino - Some "anti puncture" - could be worth it if it works (double the price, but the hassle of a puncture...)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822398184.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.1ff52e0ewxIzAA

1 hour ago, Boogieman said:

A lot of tires to chose from for the Tesla:

I tend to look for a suitable tread pattern for the intended usage, and out of those choose the one with best comfort. Kenda tends to do harder rubber compounds, while ChaoYang is usually a lot softer.

If you choose the correct size, the photo in the eBay auction will change to reflect the actual tire.

At least that’s the principle. However, as most auctions say nowadays, the actual pattern may be different. If you want a specific tire, you must discuss this personally with any Chinese seller.

Rhino - Some "anti puncture" - could be worth it if it works (double the price, but the hassle of a puncture...)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32822398184.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.1ff52e0ewxIzAA

In my understanding the anti-puncture layer is at the wearing part on the tire only. So it would still not help with a thorn on the sidewall.

It’s dry today but been wet all week. The first ride on my MSX where I really felt the lack of grip on the stock tire. To be fair I was in the woods so it hadn’t dried out too much but I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Found a few jumps and went arse over tit, lost all confidence in the tire unless it’s bone dry. :(

So... just ordered this one. It looks to be a good compromise with a smooth profile due to the angled treads. I’ll lose some width but less hassle than shaving the side knobbies of the Shinko 2.75 options.

I’ll report back once received and fitted. :D

So since the tyre change on my MSX to the shinko SR 241

Have seen speed increases from  55KPH to 60 KPH on wheel log unsure how the MSX calculates speed

Maybe due the increase in wheel radius

Now 20 inch 

Screenshot_20190803-173924_WheelLog.jpg

Screenshot_20190727-185003_WheelLog.jpg

Edited by Gaz Bon

On 8/2/2019 at 8:20 PM, RoCan said:

It’s dry today but been wet all week. The first ride on my MSX where I really felt the lack of grip on the stock tire. To be fair I was in the woods so it hadn’t dried out too much but I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Found a few jumps and went arse over tit, lost all confidence in the tire unless it’s bone dry. :(

So... just ordered this one. It looks to be a good compromise with a smooth profile due to the angled treads. I’ll lose some width but less hassle than shaving the side knobbies of the Shinko 2.75 options.

I’ll report back once received and fitted. :D

I share your observations about the wet grip of the original tire 100%. I was sad to see that the 18XL uses the same tire.

Your replacement looks good! I expect it to grip very well. It doesn’t seem to have tread features adding to the width of the tire, so a 2.75-14 might’ve fitted after all.

That tire might actually be easier to turn in place on pavement as well. A tire with a lot of smooth surface at the center will grab the pavement, which makes twist corrections very hard when idling back and forth. Narrower tires resist twisting less by themselves as well.

19 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

So since the tyre change on my MSX to the shinko SR 241

Have seen speed increases from  55KPH to 60 KPH on wheel log unsure how the MSX calculates speed

Maybe due the increase in wheel radius

Now 20 inch

The wheel calculates the speed from the rotations of the wheel. If you put in a larger tire, you will go faster than the Gotway, WheelLog or DarknessBot will show you, since they will still calculate only the tire rotations and are not aware of the larger tire. Only GPS based speedometers will then know your actual speed, although they can only be precise when you go straight at a steady speed.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Your replacement looks good! I expect it to grip very well. It doesn’t seem to have tread features adding to the width of the tire, so a 2.75-14 might’ve fitted after all.

My thoughts exactly. I searched everywhere for a 2.75 of this one but it does not exist. I would have given it a go for sure. 

If I find it too narrow I will likely try spikes in the original stock tyre next. Have you tried this or would you recommend against it for any reason?

I’ve only had the MSX for 2 months but I have already noticed the gap getting narrower on one side due to only mounting with my right foot. The weight flexes the shell just as it did with my MSV3, however with the 3” stock tyre, it looks like it may rub at some point (but not yet). Have you ever had the stock tyre rub?

With this movement in the shell I wonder if a narrower tyre is the answer. Or a shell mod?

1 hour ago, RoCan said:

Have you ever had the stock tyre rub?

During mounting, yes. But I was able to reseat the tire and reposition the shell to make the issue go away. For repositioning the shell I just loosened the 6 screws per side, and twisted and tilted the frame and the tire while tightening the screws.

My current ChaoYang H-666 18x3.0” tire is larger than the original, so I always have to reposition the shell if I remove the six screws. The centering must be done very precisely with this tire. I still sometimes get tire rubbing during mounting, but at least it’s the same on both sides.

Edited by mrelwood