The Tyre (Tire) Thread

Smoother

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Post the tires you use, a short description, maybe some pictures, and a link where to buy:)

-

16 inch Kenda offroad/winter tire. Fits any 16 inch wheel - Tesla, ACM, KS16S, V8, etc. Available in black, red (looks great!), and blue (also available in 14'' and 18'', but I found it only in black).

The knobs really dig in in snow, mud, on wet grass, etc. and provide good traction. This prevents the tire slipping (spinning in place) when climbing out of small ruts, which can happen with the standard tires.

The tire doesn't seem to hold for too long because the rubber is thin outside of the knobs, but it's a great seasonal tire for winter (or just offroading, especially on wet ground).

Bought here (EU)https://www.electricunicycles.eu/store_t3_category-winter_and_off_road_tyres-sc__12

001jpg

Red looks fantastic with a black wheel.

5.jpg

In its natural element. Snow, mud, etc.

x.jpg

Here's a video of the red tire on a V8.

Blue doesn't look as good.

2.jpg

Yeah, dude. That red pops. :D

I just found this:

https://bike-advisor.com/bicycle-guides/the-complete-bicycle-tire-size-guide.html

There's a lot of confusing stuff in there but this stood out, as it seems to reflect our trend to supersize our tyres these days:

"

• If the tire you mounted is too wide for the rim, then you risk damaging the tire’s side walls ......(also)...... you risk the tire simply coming off the wheel in stressful conditions."
Edited by Smoother

18 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Post the tires you use, a short description, maybe some pictures, and a link where to buy:)

-

16 inch Kenda offroad/winter tire. Fits any 16 inch wheel - Tesla, ACM, KS16S, V8, etc. Available in black, red (looks great!), and blue (also available in 14'' and 18'', but I found it only in black).

The knobs really dig in in snow, mud, on wet grass, etc. and provide good traction. This prevents the tire slipping (spinning in place) when climbing out of small ruts, which can happen with the standard tires.

The tire doesn't seem to hold for too long because the rubber is thin outside of the knobs, but it's a great seasonal tire for winter (or just offroading, especially on wet ground).

Bought here (EU)https://www.electricunicycles.eu/store_t3_category-winter_and_off_road_tyres-sc__12

001jpg

Here is a perfect example of the alternate numbering scheme.  On this tyre you can just make out 57- 30(?)  the ? must be a 5 as this is a 57-305 tyre; 2.125" (57mm) for a 12"  (305mm) rim.  EDIT: Add 4" to the rim size and you have the EUC size i.e. 16"

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

If anyone wants to repair a puncture or change the tyre on a MSX here's a video i found , it's in French but i think he basically says ,,, here's how you repair a puncture or tyre change without unplugging anything:D:thumbup:,,

• Like 3

16 hours ago, stephen said:

If anyone wants to repair a puncture or change the tyre on a MSX here's a video i found , it's in French but i think he basically says ,,, here's how you repair a puncture or tyre change without unplugging anything:D:thumbup:,,

As part of my "re-train your eyes" program; if you pause the video at 0:11 you can see that this tyre is a 76-355 so this is 3" wide (76mm), for a 14" (355mm) rim. 14" rims are the norm for 18" EUCs

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Smoother said:

As part of my "re-train your eyes" program; if you pause the video at 0:11 you can see that this tyre is a 76-355 so this is 3" wide (76mm), for a 16" (355mm) rim

What's that mean lol , there's another different tyre lurking , but it does show you how to change the tyre, how can a14 inch and a16 fit i don't understand these euc's lol 😊

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread again, @Smoother! You mention the width being the measure between the rims. It’s misleading, as the EUC rims seem to be all the same width, but different width tires can be used. I think the measure is for the maximum outer width of the tire, including the tread and knobs.

Then there are motorcycle tires. They can be used as well, but besides the stiffer profile requiring a lot smaller pressures, one has to learn yet another sizing standard.

2.50-14 is a 2.50” wide (+ tread) tire for a 14” rim. 

On a MC tire the width does not include the tread and knobs. So a 2.50” tire can be anything between 2.5” and perhaps 2.9” in total width once installed.

Alternate tires for the MSX (18x3.00 = 76-355, measures 2.75”) do not seem to exist with the bicycle standards. A MC tire 2.50-14 should be a good fit. I will confirm once I get mine in March.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Great thread again, @Smoother! You mention the width being the measure between the rims. It’s misleading, as the EUC rims seem to be all the same width, but different width tires can be used. I think the measure is for the maximum outer width of the tire, including the tread and knobs.

Noted, and fixed, thanks.

Hello, fisrt of all hi to all,  I'm a newbie here (in every sense) and I've just received my V8 Euc in Italy : first thing I've checked is the size of everything. 

Something definitely Not corresponds: the tyre size. And I'm quite seriously worried about it.

In my V8 euc even after inflating to more of 3.5 bar, the width is 1.9“.   They sent me from France/Belgium shipped from Amazon.it (importer/seller)

Is it something normal about european tyres of V8 euc or not?  DO they change it because of some important reason? I've measured my mtb tyre's width and it's 2.2/2.3“.   

I expected a really different tyre's size (about width I mean). Do you think they used the tyre of a previous model (like V5) and mounted on the V8 ? 

Every useful info will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. I must know what to do, keep it or send it back.

PS:

If the question must be moved to another topic it's ok,just let me know, I couldn't find a late similar subject about V8 in the forum 

@Eko Hi! The V8 has a narrower tire than the usual 2.125'' for 16 inchers. 1.9'' or so. So your tire size is correct. I think a wider tire would chafe on the shell. So everything is as it is supposed to be:)

Why were you worried about the tire width? Just because you expected a different number? Something else?

How much did you pay for the V8 on amazon.it?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the answer @Smoother.  I can't read it, now I'm recharging it.  When the recharge is finished I'll try to spin the wheel and find it. 

If it's not the 57-305, what does it mean?  Did they deceive me? Or it's normal for european tyres of V8 ?  

I'm worried because of the weight of this ewheel: it seems remarkable for a so narrow tyre.  I worry about steadiness. 

I must add it's my first Euc.  I've bought everything available for sides' protection but I'm thinking about "quality of riding" (in safety)

Sorry for my poor english...I hope you got me. 

Edited by Eko

20 minutes ago, Eko said:

Thanks for the answer @Smoother.  I can't read it, now I'm recharging it.  When the recharge is finished I'll try to spin the wheel and find it. 

If it's not the 57-305, what does it mean?  Did they deceive me? Or it's normal for european tyres of V8 ?  

I'm worried because of the weight of this ewheel: it seems remarkable for a so narrow tyre.  I worry about steadiness. 

I must add it's my first Euc.  I've bought everything available for sides' protection but I'm thinking about "quality of riding" (in safety)

Sorry for my poor english...I hope you got me. 

@meepmeepmayer says 1.9" is correct.  Don't worry about the width.  Many happy high mileage V8 owners.  Racing bikes have super thin tyres, ok there are two, but still super thin.  Unless you are a giant you will have no problems.

Make sure you have decent air pressure; the narrower the tyre the more critical that the pressure not fall too low.

So your tyre might be a 47-305.

Your English is fine, better than fine, very good.

Edited by Smoother

On 2/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

@Eko Hi! The V8 has a narrower tire than the usual 2.125'' for 16 inchers. 1.9'' or so. So your tire size is correct. I think a wider tire would chafe on the shell. So everything is as it is supposed to be:)

Why were you worried about the tire width? Just because you expected a different number? Something else?

How much did you pay for the V8 on amazon.it?

Hi and thanks for the answer.  Yesterday I've sent an email to InmotionUSA official website too and they've ensured me they changed the tyre because the original Kenda tire rubbed against the shell.  So it seems it's normal.  I only wonder why it doesn't appear in any data sheet of the V8 Euc features.  I read about the "rubbing" issue so maybe they thought it was better to change it after some customers' complaints.

PS.

I've found some little blamishes on my V8' shell-corners. I fear Amazon sent me a return or maybe the original seller or the courier shook it too much somewhere before shipping . I've also just read the topic about a problem of cut off for a new V8. I haven't a chance to test a first ride in safety yet. I hope it's a real new V8 euc but I'm not sure about it. At all.

In the next 2-3 days I have to bring it in a safe empty place and try it. For the moment it's too early to say I'll keep it. I've just warned Amazon that if only another little problem emerged I'll send it back. They've offered me a customized multiple solution but honestly I've bought to use it so I hope it will work fine. 

I'll let you know soon.

Edited by Eko

38 minutes ago, Eko said:

Hi and thanks for the answer.  Yesterday I've sent an email to InmotionUSA official website too and they've ensured me they changed the tyre because the original Kenda tire rubbed against the shell.

Cool, good info! I believe the V8 started with the thin tire you have, then some time later they switched to a wider tire instead, but apparently (from what they told you) they went back to the original tire because of rubbing.

I only wonder why it doesn't appear in any data sheet of the V8 Euc features.

NO EUC manufacturer is even remotely competent in offering good, reliable, up-to-date info on their wheels. Unfortunately at this amateur early stage of the market, this is how it is. (What data sheet specifically are you talking about?) But in the end, this is no problem. The wheel is how it is.

I've found some little blamishes on my V8' shell-corners. I fear Amazon sent me a return or maybe the original seller or the courier shook it too much somewhere before shipping .

Post photos if you want. In the end it's only cosmetics. That has no influence on riding behavior or safety at all. If you have a problem with the scratches for cosmetic reasons (but your wheel will be scratched up anyways if you use it), you can always ask for a return or maybe a discount.

This video is not only one of the most enjoyable EUC videos, it also shows that the V8 is very solidly built and these scratches mean nothing:

I've also just read the topic about a problem of cut off for a new V8. I haven't a chance to test a first ride in safety yet.

The V8 just isn't a strong wheel (mostly because of the small-ish battery). So it can be overstressed if you're unlucky.  Don't worry too much, just don't do crazy accelerations. It's a great starter wheel - sleek, light, easy to learn on, not too fast.

I hope it's a real new V8 euc but I'm not sure about it. At all.

There is NO such thing as counterfeit wheels. If it looks like a V8 and works, it is 100% original and genuine. Any company that would be able to build a working "fake" brand wheel would be as good and would have invested as much money as the actual manufacturer. They wouldn't need to fake anything, they could build their own wheels. There are no counterfeit wheels at all.

In the next 2-3 days I have to bring it in a safe empty place and try it. For the moment it's too early to say I'll keep it. I've just warned Amazon that if only another little problem emerged I'll send it back. They've offered me a customized multiple solution but honestly I've bought to use it so I hope it will work fine. 

I'll let you know soon.

If you're unsure about the V8 (maybe because you want a stronger wheel, or because of the scratches, or anything else), this is an opportunity to return it before using it outside. Usually, you would buy from a specialized dealer instead of Amazon (unless that specialized dealer just sells on Amazon, can you give a link please?), but at least Amazon has a good return policy (if you really are unsure). But if the seller agreed you could return it after you tried it, no problem with trying. You won't encounter any unexpected new problem:)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for your detailed answer @meepmeepmayer, yes I agree with you, it's "cosmetics" but my point was the suspect they sent me a return. Only that.

There's been a misunderstanding. I never thought they've sold me a "counterfeit" ewheel.  I'm only doubtful it can be a return.  With Amazon it happens (and quite often)

Anyway you're right, I won't send it back only for few scratches, I only hope nothing else will go wrong.  

Unluckily to know if it works fine, I have to try it (the e-functioning). I mean turn it on and at least test a safe,short ride.  If I keep it they've offered me a bit of discount/ partial refund. 

I like the V8, and I've read great positive reviews about it. And so it's been my first choice. I hope I'll can keep it. 

I'll let you know the developments.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

V8 Tyre experiences.

I've an inmotion V8,   Solo glide 3,  same thing,  but mines an Inmotion V8.

I've tried a few tyres now and thought I'd chuck up my findings.

Stock is a 50-305 16 x 1.95 Kenda brand,   road style pattern,   up to 40psi.    Works very well,   stiff side walls,  not a great pattern for offroad.

Then,  I tried in order:

Duro x-performer 50-305 16x1.95,  mainly road pattern but more aggressive than the Kenda,  but,  45-75psi,  soft,  even at high pressure,  squidgy soft sided tyre,  medium to slow turning response.  

Kenda k-50 57-305 16x2.125,  offroad pattern,  decent knobblies,  40psi,   good grip,   medium turning response,  but rubs,   pretty badly imo.  I tried giving it a little more room but its enough too big that no amount of massaging will make it fit without rubbing on my V8.

Schwalbe Mad Mike K-guard 16x1.75,   same pattern as the kenda k-50,  up to 65psi,   at 50psi it has a super fast turning response,   twitchy even,  but good grip,  no rubbing,  that's the main thing for me.

So,   my number 1 pick from those is the Mad Mike.   If I could get one of the originals cheap enough I'd call that the pick if you do onroad only,  but if you want more grip the Mad Mike is a great fit and has a decent offroad pattern (decent onroad too but its more of an A/T type tyre than on road only).   I need to play with different pressures some more to find what's a good balance between response and footprint etc but for now I'm happy to recommend it as the best of the ones I've tried/listed.      

Bought from suppliers within Australia (LBS got the Duro in for me and the other 2 were from Chainreactioncycles.com).

Changing them over I use the disconnect main board method.   Seems easiest to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, t0me said:

V8 Tyre experiences.

I've an inmotion V8,   Solo glide 3,  same thing,  but mines an Inmotion V8.

I've tried a few tyres now and thought I'd chuck up my findings.

Stock is a 50-305 16 x 1.95 Kenda brand,   road style pattern,   up to 40psi.    Works very well,   stiff side walls,  not a great pattern for offroad.

Then,  I tried in order:

Duro x-performer 50-305 16x1.95,  mainly road pattern but more aggressive than the Kenda,  but,  45-75psi,  soft,  even at high pressure,  squidgy soft sided tyre,  medium to slow turning response.  

Kenda k-50 57-305 16x2.125,  offroad pattern,  decent knobblies,  40psi,   good grip,   medium turning response,  but rubs,   pretty badly imo.  I tried giving it a little more room but its enough too big that no amount of massaging will make it fit without rubbing on my V8.

Schwalbe Mad Mike K-guard 16x1.75,   same pattern as the kenda k-50,  up to 65psi,   at 50psi it has a super fast turning response,   twitchy even,  but good grip,  no rubbing,  that's the main thing for me.

So,   my number 1 pick from those is the Mad Mike.   If I could get one of the originals cheap enough I'd call that the pick if you do onroad only,  but if you want more grip the Mad Mike is a great fit and has a decent offroad pattern (decent onroad too but its more of an A/T type tyre than on road only).   I need to play with different pressures some more to find what's a good balance between response and footprint etc but for now I'm happy to recommend it as the best of the ones I've tried/listed.      

Bought from suppliers within Australia (LBS got the Duro in for me and the other 2 were from Chainreactioncycles.com).

Changing them over I use the disconnect main board method.   Seems easiest to me.

Hi Tome, thanks for your interesting detailed post and the infos about the Mad Mike..  According to me, the original Kenda tyre doesn't work "very well" because it's seriously too thin. The width is not optimal. Riding in a straight line is too tough even more if you live in my same "urban" environment with dismal paving. It becomes also dangerous, a fall is always imminent at every minimal imbalance. 

Inmotion tried to change the size indeed, I think answering to some users' feedbacks but then they've been forced to go back to 1,9“ becasue the 2,125" tyre "rubbed" inside the wheel's metal frame (that's can't be called a "fender").  

The original kenda tyre is too unsteady for me, even more for a new Eucist.  Maybe I have still to change the pressure another time but I just did it 3 times.

I'd change it soon if the tyre's replacement was a bit more easy, as for a bicycle's tyre. 

I have to revise my comments.    
I could NOT get the mad mike to run true.     Always a hump somewhere on the wheel.    Now to be sure,  every tube I've got has been inside a 2.125 or 1.95 wheel,  and the mad mike is a 1.75,  but I suspect the tube isn't the culprit.      I've put the same tube back in the DURO tyre and she's round as...   well as it should be.

The mad mike was unridable at speed.   Tried many many positions for the tyre in relation to the tube,  and it didn't make any appreciable difference.    

So,   the Duro's the only replacement I've found that fits and rides pretty decently.    I haven't found anything with a decent offroad tread that runs true.

I suspect its partly as this size is primarily made for kiddies bmx.

Anyone got any other tyre suggestions for me?

I didn't time myself but I suspect I'm well under 20mins to remove and replace a tyre on the V8.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I unfortunately have to revise my revised revisement.

The Duro,   whilst round...   developed a buckle,   that's in the tyre not the wheel!!!
So while I wait for an "original fitment" tyre from China,  I'm back to using my original original.
Seems I've yet to find an offroad tread tyre,  or for that matter,  any other tyre that works well with my V8.

Anyone had any luck with any other tyres on this wheel?

Down to 15mins to change a tyre :-)

• Like 1