The Tyre (Tire) Thread

Smoother

On 8/10/2019 at 2:08 AM, t0me said:

If you feel it wobbly mainly when you're turning,   that's out of true.    As in,  like a crush washer isn't flat.    That's what I got on all the kiddie bmx tyres I've tried.   
Kinda feels like its squishy when riding straight and you feel the wobble when you turn/lean.    

I recently purchased a 16 inch tire from amazon that was for kid's bicycle. 

Kenda K1039 Komfort Black E-Bike... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XCGNB9S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The worst experience ever. Initially I thought, oh hey I just need to break the tire in. No I was wrong. No matter what psi I use it always felt wobbley like I was riding on a round ball of air. 

I'm usually a speed demon cruising around 45-47km/h on my Gotway tesla, the tire would get warm after riding for a bit and gets soft. This is when I drastically notice the 'ball of air' feeling when I'm leaning or turning. 

So happy to find some else that was experiencing this same exact issue. Thought I was crazy haha

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jacky Heshi said:

I recently purchased a 16 inch tire from amazon that was for kid's bicycle. 

Kenda K1039 Komfort Black E-Bike... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XCGNB9S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The worst experience ever. Initially I thought, oh hey I just need to break the tire in. No I was wrong. No matter what psi I use it always felt wobbley like I was riding on a round ball of air. 

That specific Kenda has been a regular factory installed tire on a few EUCs. I received mine installed in either the Lhotz or the 16S, not sure which.

How high did you go on the psi? I seem to recall riding mine at somewhere around 55psi.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:56 PM, t0me said:

Schwalbe Mad Mike K-guard 16x1.75, same pattern as the kenda k-50, up to 65psi, at 50psi it has a super fast turning response, twitchy even, but good grip, no rubbing, that's the main thing for me.

Thanks for the recommendation! I got a 1.75 and a 2.125 for €25 shipped, and installed the wide one on my V8 today. Although the wheel is visibly oval when spinning it by hand, I haven't noticed it while test riding it today. I'm going to keep it on for my commute for a while and see how I like it, but so far it feels better than the stock wheel. It makes more noise too, but that doesn't bother me. There's no rubbing. 

On 8/16/2019 at 5:05 AM, RoCan said:

Update on the search for my perfect MSX off road wet tyre. ...more tread! So that only leaves the Shinko / CST options. Has anyone fitted this one and can please add some feedback?

Shinko SR244

Also, has anyone fitted this one and did the side knobbies need shaving like Gaz Bon had to do with the Shinko SR241. They look very similar.

CST C186  :D

On 8/25/2019 at 4:00 AM, RoCan said:

I found my happy place :D

I can recommend this CST C186 2.75x14 to off road MSX riders. No mods required to shell or side knobbies and no rubbing.

...There is obviously a reduction in responsiveness in comparison to the stock tyre, which is to be expected with a knobby. This is a trade I’m willing to make for extra grip as it is still fun to carve and has an even response because the knobbies are closely packed and regularly spaced.

I’m ready for the wet winter mud! :w00t2: ... now all I need is a mudguard :facepalm:

So I got the Shinko SR244 2.74x14 for my Gotway MSX 100V.  Anyone have a similar tire recommendation for the Ninebot One e+?

Install/Issues:  It took a couple hours to install due to having to shave the side knobbies and wheel openings.  I started by cutting the wheel-well openings a little since the top didn't quite close and the interference was obvious.  Then it closed but still pinched the wheel internally (enough that tight screws = no turn).  So then I shaved about 1/4" each side of the outside wheel wheel knobs.  That took 3 batteries on my 5" Dewalt angle grinder :D.   Re-did the seat install too (works).  Re-made the mud-guard from flex-seal-tape, ugly I know... I have one on order, but its not due for 3 weeks. 

The ride vs pressure:  I initially filled it to 45 lbs air pressure.  Then 1st ride it felt like it was tipsy with a bit of a mind of its own (per over-pressure dialogs).  I released air till about 30 which seemed nicely ride able.  I further reduced to 20 lbs and which wasn't much different than 30. So at 30 lbs it rides very similar to the original tire (road) while I can jump and feel it near-full compress (like same for a 3" bump at 10mph).  Per other dialogs here about tire pressure ... I like the tire pressure soft (20'ish lbs) on both MSX and an e+ for the sake of shock absorption. 

Riding Characteristics:  Notice in pic the Shinko is bigger diameter and seems more rounded too.  It rides that way... like more nimble such as a skinny tire.  With pressure >30 it seems to get the "mind of its own" sensation to follow even mild road terrain (cause more rounded shape?). Lower pressure rides more like original tire.  Riding straight-up it's perfectly smooth.  For carving and slow speeds it feels more maneuverable than the original.  At over  5 mph the side knobbies have slightly more friction than the center knobbies which very mildly amplifies the carve-action.   There seemed a very slight (10%) increase in tendencies of wobble (non-issue for me with about 200 hrs riding experience).

Conclusion:  I'm glad I made the change.  For others consider the choice between cutting all that rubber vs using the SR244 2.5 x 14.  I do think the slightly wider tire holds more air, has a softer ride, and more 'mind of its own' factor that's compensated by lower pressure.  So if you like lower pressure anyway, its probably worth shaving some knobs.  But don't think you could do that with the 3" tire model (I did consider it) without more case modification. 
{+}Update after 7 miles mostly slow with 2 dogs:  The grass, transitions to grass, gravel, difference is HUGE... its confidence inspiring.  Even if I weren't using this wheel 20% off road I'm still really glad for the change.  During the ride I did seem to learn a new method of 'trusting' the wheel to turn after a deeper knee-bend to get it into a deeper-carve (wow!).  I did take the dogs up to 15 mph on grass. 

{++}20 Mile Update with a faster ride: I went 6 miles each way with a mix of road and trails.  Because someone once mentioned a tilt-back issue with a knobbie I used this ride to evaluate if there were any speed impacts.  There weren't.  What may feel like a tilt back is actually the wheel's posture in soft mode.   What I noticed was that when I reached a cruising speed the wheel would eventually level itself which feels just a little like a tilt back but its not... I repeated this at 15, 20, 25 mph... I primarily attribute it to having the wheel in "soft mode".  My top speed was 26.8 (pushed it there to check) and average was 12.3 mph.  Road noise is slightly increased but still well below the wind noise (within margine of not noticed unless looking for it - see the last video near the end. 

20190907_132339c.JPG

20190907_132352c.JPG

20190907_112855c.JPG

20190907_112738c.JPG

20190907_162255c.JPG

Edited by Elliott Reitz
+pics +vids +update +update2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

So I got the Shinko SR244 2.74x14 for my Gotway MSX 100V.

Magnificent! Thank you for the detailed review and photos!

So at 30 lbs it rides very similar to the original tire (road)

This sounds great! What kind of speeds did you try it at on pavement? No notable vibration or rumble? The minicross tire I tried on my 84V MSX emphasized a tilt-back at a steady 35km/h, which could be because of the added rolling resistance.

I’m thinking of ordering a 2.50” SR244 for the winter. Maybe it would even feel safe enough to get me riding on the snow as well.

14 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Update after 7 miles mostly slow with 2 dogs:  The grass, transitions to grass, gravel, difference is HUGE... its confidence inspiring.  Even if I weren't using this wheel 20% off road I'm still really glad for the change.  During the ride I did seem to learn a new method of 'trusting' the wheel to turn after a deeper knee-bend to get it into a deeper-carve (wow!).  I did take the dogs up to 15 mph on grass

I have the Shinko 241 and yr statement says is all ,were yr normal tire would slide out these just dig in and yr still smiling 

Give it a few more Kms and you will not notice the diference on  tarmac either 

Just waiting for my shinko to arrive for the KS16X and retire the CYT tarmac tire for good 😉

Edited by Gaz Bon

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Magnificent! Thank you for the detailed review and photos!

This sounds great! What kind of speeds did you try it at on pavement? No notable vibration or rumble? The minicross tire I tried on my 84V MSX emphasized a tilt-back at a steady 35km/h, which could be because of the added rolling resistance.

I’m thinking of ordering a 2.50” SR244 for the winter. Maybe it would even feel safe enough to get me riding on the snow as well.

Thanks.  I've had it up to about 15 on both pavement and dirt. 

There is a slight vibration when on pavement doing a very minor turn or foot-lean (off the center knobs).  That also slows and twists the wheel by a very minor amount... both quickly adapted in my first ride of several miles.

8 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

I have the Shinko 241 and yr statement says is all ,were yr normal tire would slide out these just dig in and yr still smiling 

Give it a few more Kms and you will not notice the diference on  tarmac either 

Just waiting for my shinko to arrive for the KS16X and retire the CYT tarmac tire for good 😉

Yes, the Shinko 244 is Confidence Inspiring including normal pavement.  It climbs curbs better, transitions to grass, and puddles that are unknown mud in the bottom... GR8 :D

This morning I may get closer to 30 mph (my fastest to date was 35).  I'm heading to church carrying a guitar-pack.  That's the opposite side of Onondaga Lake, so today should be about 20 miles on about 40% dirt/gravel.  As for getting over 35 the seat may someday get me there... though I need to make the seat taller to be able to squat to it.

Update:  I went 12 miles this morning... added this updated to my review post above:  {++}20 Mile Update with a faster ride: I went 6 miles each way with a mix of road and trails.  Because someone once mentioned a tilt-back issue with a knobbie I used this ride to evaluate if there were any speed impacts.  There weren't.  What may feel like a tilt back is actually the wheel's posture in soft mode.   What I noticed was that when I reached a cruising speed the wheel would eventually level itself which feels just a little like a tilt back but its not... I repeated this at 15, 20, 25 mph... I primarily attribute it to having the wheel in "soft mode".  My top speed was 26.8 (pushed it there to check) and average was 12.3 mph.  Road noise is slightly increased but still well below the wind noise (within margine of not noticed unless looking for it - see the last video near the end. 

Edited by Elliott Reitz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m thinking of ordering a 2.50” SR244 for the winter.

Alas, it seems that the SR244 is not available as a 2.50-14.

18 hours ago, Gaz Bon said:

I have the Shinko 241

Do you notice any change in carving behaviour when the contact point moves from one row of knobs to the next?

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Alas, it seems that the SR244 is not available as a 2.50-14.

Do you notice any change in carving behaviour when the contact point moves from one row of knobs to the next?

None at all ,all I really noticed at 1st was a bit more road noise (tarmac)

Occasianly stones get pulled through and make a bit of a clatter 

But for what it gives off roading that can all be forgiven 

Carves good on tarmac too 

Shame more manufacturers  of E tires don't do a better range of tyres for all surfaces 

Edited by Gaz Bon

1 hour ago, Gaz Bon said:

None at all ,all I really noticed at 1st was a bit more road noise (tarmac)

Thanks! Identical looking 2.75-14 tires are available around Europe from at least three different manufacturers. I guess I’ll go with the trials style pattern then!

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Thanks! Identical looking 2.75-14 tires are available around Europe from at least three different manufacturers. I guess I’ll go with the trials style pattern then!

Remember my CST C186 fits! So an easier option to the Shinko 241 with the same tread. And half the price. ;)

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, RoCan said:

Remember my CST C186 fits! So an easier option to the Shinko 241 with the same tread. And half the price. ;)

I know that Shinko 244 doesn’t fit without shaving the knobs, but would the 241 also require a shave? It doesn’t look like the knobs protrude to the side any more than on the C186.

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I know that Shinko 244 doesn’t fit without shaving the knobs, but would the 241 also require a shave? It doesn’t look like the knobs protrude to the side any more than on the C186.

Think @Gaz Bon had to shave his side knobbies. (Now there’s a funny sentence) :efefa6edcf:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Yep had to shave my side knobs 

Angle grinder and flapper disc

• Like 3

While the Shinko and CST look identical in stock photos, I started to wonder wether they’re somehow different after all. @RoCan and @Gaz Bon, if you find the time, could you take a photo of the C186 and the Shinko 241 installed on the MSX? Preferably one that shows the front shell opening as well.

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

While the Shinko and CST look identical in stock photos, I started to wonder wether they’re somehow different after all. @RoCan and @Gaz Bon, if you find the time, could you take a photo of the C186 and the Shinko 241 installed on the MSX? Preferably one that shows the front shell opening as well.

It’s tighter on the rear but I’ve not had any rubbing. My MSX has only done 200km’s though so it might rub in time if the shell loosens.

8A16F028-2F91-4625-8A53-CB39F34C239A.jpeg

CAAC6913-45F7-4B70-A998-4C07E669CFDF.jpeg

61773346-0AFE-4124-AFDD-87307094DAC3.jpeg

3EBEC93A-8505-40BA-99BD-080EFD4D0A0B.jpeg

438007C2-555B-4D6F-8B7C-0124D8C45735.jpeg

02B8A790-2388-4908-8330-D2B722AC76DC.jpeg

Thanks @RoCan! I think that dimentionwise yours looks to be close to the original tire. Can’t wait to see the installed Shinko!

Edit: Just ordered the CST C186. I think the profile looks more rounded than on a @Gaz Bon's photo I found. And the knobs on the Shinko have such wide gaps sideways, I'd think it might affect high speed pavement runs more. And I don't have to work with the side knobs. And I'll get the CST in just a week!

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 11:49 PM, mrelwood said:

Thanks @RoCan! I think that dimentionwise yours looks to be close to the original tire. Can’t wait to see the installed Shinko!

Edit: Just ordered the CST C186. I think the profile looks more rounded than on a @Gaz Bon's photo I found. And the knobs on the Shinko have such wide gaps sideways, I'd think it might affect high speed pavement runs more. And I don't have to work with the side knobs. And I'll get the CST in just a week!

Just for reference I would have bought the CST if known prior 

Pics and measurement of Shinko installed 

This also makes wheel log show the wheel going faster have clocked 60kph unsure if true 84V MSX 

20190912_141434_resize_74.jpg

20190912_132907_resize_59.jpg

20190912_141308_resize_50.jpg

20190912_132914_resize_2.jpg

Edited by Gaz Bon
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, dmpatanis said:

In my unicycle Ninebot one e+ i can use the same tyre that bicycle 16" use?

Or i must order especially for electric unicycle

If the tire designation is the same as on your current tire (16 x 2.125 ?), it should fit. Doesn’t matter if it is ”made for” bicycle, kids bike, e-bike, or manual unicycle.

Nobody makes tires especially for electric unicycles as of yet.

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2019 at 11:32 AM, Elliott Reitz said:

So I got the Shinko SR244 2.74x14 for my Gotway MSX 100V. 

I also installed the SR244 with similar experience. I wish I would have found your thread from a few months earlier. It would have saved me a lot of stress as I thought I was the only one trying out this tire.  :efee96588e: 

I'm probably going to try the SR241 or the CST C186 as well. It looks to me like the S4244 might have the best tread pattern for street and trail, but it is so large that I have to keep the pressure on the low side or it tends to scrape the case. Sounds like the CST runs closer to a true 2.75" instead of a 3"+ and doesn't require the sanding.

Overall, this tire feels really secure to me on all surfaces. 

I have tried to search for a studded option or a possible add on studded option tire for my V10F. As of yet, I have not really found any good options. 

I have red mad max tire that fitted my V8, but my concern is it is too slim and it doesn't have any studs yet. I  think it is 16x1.75 so it is a bit of the 16x2.5 factory fitted tire.  

Any suggestions, and possible to order it from Europe?