THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 3/11/2018 at 4:30 PM, Marty Backe said:

Wow. Great demonstration on why you shouldn't ride close to traffic. You would never find me riding like this.

Based on the handle, that's either a Inmotion or Ninebot. I'm sure someone else would be better at identifying it.

This looks like a tilt-back induced crashed - the pedals clearly tilted backwards and he slid off from the back. Stay away from low powered wheels folks.

That’s no ninebot. They can’t come close to that speed.  Looks like it shutoff and dumped to me..

On 3/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, steve454 said:

This looks like a tilt-back induced crashed - the pedals clearly tilted backwards and he slid off from the back.  @Marty Backe's quote, looked like that to me also, but the pedals tilted so far back that it almost looked like an overbrake cutoff, or he was braking and the wheel suddenly stopped balancing.

Looks like a cutoff to me. Yes, the pedals tip back.. but guess what they do when your riding and it shuts off? It’s going full tilt either to the front or the back. Probably a 50 50 chance which direction. 

1 minute ago, GoinPostal said:

Looks like a cutoff to me. Yes, the pedals tip back.. but guess what they do when your riding and it shuts off? It’s going full tilt either to the front or the back. Probably a 50 50 chance which direction. 

I would say that it you are driving forward your body has to be in a leaning forward position and that's the direction you're going to fall. Now he could have been in a braking situation in which case I agree the cutout would probably throw you backwards.

We'll probably never know of course. It's fun to speculate though.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2018 at 8:43 PM, Stan Onymous said:

He definately had a power failure. Looks a little bit like a ks14d , an ips, and a couple of others. That strap did absolutely no good to keep the vehicle near him or himself on it. Thats the sign of a beginner. An enthusiastic beginner. Second thought, none of those vehicles can go that fast, 39kph when he fell. Thats a gotway folks!

A tiltback would have bounced him up a tiny bit before he slipped off the back of the pedals, since you raise to the front on your toes when it hits to counter it. The EUC just looses top center power and flows backwards which is where most of his weight was since he was at cruising speed with that backpack on. This was what happened to me when I ignored the beeps on my ks14b except mine rolled forward since thats where my weight was due to my acceleration posture to get upto speed. My wrist, elbow, and knees took most of my impact. He braced with his face. Thats why I say dont always lead with your strengths. ;)

Poor soul probably couldnt hear the low beeping while in traffic driving so close to that retaining wall. They always amplify the sound reflecting it back into traffic, but this time the cars were louder. The V5F is such a subtle lean, you just think you are slightly going uphill. Its about a 7° maximum lean.

Completely agree. Power cut off.  I won’t ride anything fast but a KingSong. We will see about that 39kmph comment of yours.. I have my 18S set to tiltback at 49kphs. Stay tuned!

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I would say that it you are driving forward your body has to be in a leaning forward position and that's the direction you're going to fall. Now he could have been in a braking situation in which case I agree the cutout would probably throw you backwards.

We'll probably never know of course. It's fun to speculate though.

Yeah.. but also at that speed the wind resistance would be pushing you backward pretty hard..  that’s my final answer.. power cutout, and wind resistance launched him off the back. 

6 hours ago, Colorado CJ said:

I picked up a GoPro Session 5 today for $75.00 (crazy deal) and stuck it to my ACM2.  Here's a short video I made while riding my wheel to work.

Man i love this wheel!  I've  had it for four weeks now and have rode over 320 miles.

Speeds were between 20-25 m.p.h. on this ride.

Hope you like it!

youtu.be/rAh-4x7ehnI

nice footage 

i think i will be trying that out. 

since my head is usually going everywhere when looking around

8 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

"What do you think about getting an electric unicycle?"

https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/what-do-you-think-about-getting-an-electric-unicycle.13871/

The guy runs off the e-unicycle at the end of the video.

Justin is the CEO of Grin Technologies.  A really smart guy and a unicycle enthusiast.  He runs a website that sells electric conversion kids for bikes in Canada.  My Crystalyte conversion kit was purchased from them and I just recently bought some LiGo batteries from them.  

It was amazing how fast he was going on his electric assisted unicycle!  It doesn't look like he fell when he came off at 40+kmph which is amazing.

Justin is truly an amazing guy, I've followed him for a while and purchased several controllers etc from Grin. I recommend watching some for his talks on you tube, as theres a lot to learn from his passion. He's a huge contributor to the electric bike community.!

E-unicycles aside,

The local market where I live for ready to ride e-bikes is hard to judge. The e-bike ridership seems thin , as opposed to cars, the ready to ride bikes often are moving along swiftly when spotted on roadways and pictures of inventory of newer e-bikes conceal the batteries within the frame giving a look different than a 'Bionx' or a 'cargo' bike.

Several local companies have introduced their brand of ready to ride e-bikes or electric assist devices:

Polaris

http://www.polarisebikes.com

MIT's Copenhagen Wheel

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

The local bike shop sells these ready to ride e-bikes

https://salemcycle.bike/sitesearch.cfm?search=Electric+bike

For the widest inventory of ready to ride e-bikes, shipping costs being reasonable, NYC E Wheels is hard to beat

https://www.nycewheels.com

The cost of the upper end e-bikes is intimidating for the rider with recreational interests only but the market apparently exists and we all know how expensive lithium ion batteries are

Boston/Cambridge/MIT area sees a lot of bicycle traffic. I've seen an occasional cargo looking e-bike going over one of the bridges crossing the Charles river, in the bike lane.

'Evelo' posts some e-bike laws specific to Massachusetts

https://www.evelo.com/massachusetts-state-electric-bike-laws-definition-registration/

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

My Crystalyte conversion kit was purchased from them and I just recently bought some LiGo batteries from them.  

4 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

E-unicycles aside,

The local market where I live for ready to ride e-bikes is hard to judge. The e-bike ridership seems thin , as opposed to cars, the ready to ride bikes often are moving along swiftly when spotted on roadways and pictures of inventory of newer e-bikes conceal the batteries within the frame giving a look different than a 'Bionx' or a 'cargo' bike.

Several local companies have introduced their brand of ready to ride e-bikes or electric assist devices:

Polaris

http://www.polarisebikes.com

MIT's Copenhagen Wheel

http://senseable.mit.edu/copenhagenwheel/

The local bike shop sells these ready to ride e-bikes

https://salemcycle.bike/sitesearch.cfm?search=Electric+bike

For the widest inventory of ready to ride e-bikes, shipping costs being reasonable, NYC E Wheels is hard to beat

https://www.nycewheels.com

The cost of the upper end e-bikes is intimidating for the rider with recreational interests only but the market apparently exists and we all know how expensive lithium ion batteries are

Boston/Cambridge/MIT area sees a lot of bicycle traffic. I've seen an occasional cargo looking e-bike going over one of the bridges crossing the Charles river, in the bike lane.

'Evelo' posts some e-bike laws specific to Massachusetts

https://www.evelo.com/massachusetts-state-electric-bike-laws-definition-registration/

the only thing that ebikes have going for it is that there is zero learning curve.  it really isn't a better way to get around town.  so far nothing beats EUC's for getting around the city.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

the only thing that ebikes have going for it is that there is zero learning curve.  it really isn't a better way to get around town.  so far nothing beats EUC's for getting around the city.

The bad part about ebikes is that National parks and local hiking and bike trails will not allow them on the trails.  It is unbelievable!

9 minutes ago, fryman said:

The bad part about ebikes is that National parks and local hiking and bike trails will not allow them on the trails.  It is unbelievable!

They started taking bikes away from people who ride in NYC.  I think it started with the delivery folks making a bad name for the ebikes because they were whizzing by pedestrians.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

zero learning curve

The number of recently placed 'rent & ride' bike racks (10 or more bikes per rack) seen where I live, seen along Revere Beach and at various strategic locations in Boston (20+ per rack)

https://www.thehubway.com

has gone up significantly. Communities embrace the well known bicycle , paint bicycle lanes on roadways, endorse conversion of old rail beds to rail trails, etc. At its most simplistic a bike rider joins a group , gets a lock key , pays some fee and rides from the point of availability. Local Universities support the endeavor. The philosophy of easy access, getting people moving in a eco friendly and 'near zero risk' is hard to beat. The idea catches on...without a learning curve, risk of face 

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

They started taking bikes away from people who ride in NYC.  I think it started with the delivery folks making a bad name for the ebikes because they were whizzing by pedestrians.

plant, risk of board cutout, need for AC outlet access, etc......it makes communities happy at many levels to see the unpowered bicycle produce a positive effect in a traditionally predictable way.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

1 hour ago, SOLARO84 said:

Hi Guys, I’m Mirko from Milan and this is my first video with my new EUC Gotway Tesla. Thanks for watching! :)

Very nice video :cheers:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fryman said:

Have you approached the committee in charge? I did here in Boise. Exchanged a few emails, and BLAM! Use regulations have been updated to allow electric bikes and unicycles on all paths and bike lanes. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Have you approached the committee in charge? I did here in Boise. Exchanged a few emails, and BLAM! Use regulations have been updated to allow electric bikes and unicycles on all paths and bike lanes. 

Plesse share the new regulations. It may be a huge benefit to open other committee doors. 

34 minutes ago, GoinPostal said:

Please do share.  I need the help :smartass:

1 hour ago, GoinPostal said:

yes, pls share. is that city, county or state regs?

or feds? for national parks, that would be worth a road trip with Bob.

Edited by novazeus