Jump to content
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Protective Wear Suggestions for EUC Riding

Recommended Posts

On 7/5/2016 at 1:53 PM, esaj said:

Your brain is sloshing around in liquid inside your skull, it's still likely going to bang against the skull on a sudden stop (head hitting pavement), whether there's a helmet or not. So yes, concussion can still happen, but you have much lower chance of cracking your skull open ;)

EDIT: I don't care that much about looks, still going to go with this:

82-926_l_2_2.jpg

 

I agree, and it becomes more of a problem as you age, because your brain physically shrinks (I've heard by ~10% by the time you are 65).  In older people, the brain actually rattles around in the skull, and you are much more liable to do real damage when you fall.

I have a Shoei helmet (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-helmet) that is like this ... but I've never worn it when riding my EUC (its just to heavy).   With motorcycles you would like chin protection, because you are likely to hit your chin when you fall and skid.  With EUC's you won't be going as fast, but there are many situation that you face plant, because you don't have the forward stabilization of the front wheel on a bike.   I actually like the looks and convenience of these, and maybe if I decide to put my Gotway ACM through its paces, I'll be wearing this type of helmet ... otherwise, it's standard skateboarding stuff.

 

Edited by Chris Westland
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice picks!  I like that hoody.  Very stealth-like.  :ph34r:  I wonder if those pants are bulletproof?  I think @Jason McNeil bought some, but I hear that you sweat ilke crazy in them as they keep the heat in.  And I'm packing loads of heat down there, baby, let me tell you.  :whistling:

The hoodie is quite thick and comfy, except for the back panel which, as I said, can be removed. The HB's jeans are very thick and could potentially be very warm in the summer. The cargo style ones don't seem as thick so might be more ideal. Either way they both look good and offer the protection I wanted.

UPDATE: It appears both pairs of jeans use the same 14oz denim. It may be that the cargo pants style ones being a loser fit don't feel as warm.

Edited by TremF
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TremF said:

I've settled on kevlar jeans, with removable hip and knee protectors

I just bought and returned this exact pair. The pants were awesome, and I was looking forward using them on my EUC. But the knee pads hung too low on my leg and I couldn't get them altered to fit. They also ran a bit small for me in the waist, I got one size larger than normal and they were still a wee bit snug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the hoodie too.  Can't tell from the pics where the pads go or how big they are though.

Re cost, I feel the same way but bit the bullet on a few items because I think it's a false economy to spend too little on protection and then lose a fortune paying for hospital treatment, plus be unable to work and then lose my job.

I do live in the U.S., though, so the medical costs could be enormous compared to costs in most of the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2017 at 9:13 AM, Rehab1 said:

They do slide on tight until you get past the cheeks. I did need to remove the cheek padding as it was to tight for me. Maybe I just have fat cheeks. 

I used to have the same problem until I stopped storing acorns in my cheeks.  We do have refrigerators these days, you know. :D

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

I agree, and it becomes more of a problem as you age, because your brain physically shrinks (I've heard by ~10% by the time you are 65).  In older people, the brain actually rattles around in the skull, and you are much more liable to do real damage when you fall.

 

I've read lots of articles lately talking about a huge range of things that can shrink the brain at any age.  It was all pretty scary.  Two of the big ones that can generate that problem are stress and lack of sleep/interrupted sleep, both of which I have big problems with, and have had for many years.  Now every time I see my mother evidencing mental decline, I wonder when and how much that sort of thing is coming for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, who_the said:

I just bought and returned this exact pair. The pants were awesome, and I was looking forward using them on my EUC. But the knee pads hung too low on my leg and I couldn't get them altered to fit. They also ran a bit small for me in the waist, I got one size larger than normal and they were still a wee bit snug.

This is a big problem that is making me hesitate to get clothes with integrated pads.  Reviews on Amazon regularly say you need to buy a different size than you measure at, often one size bigger, sometimes two ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I used to have the same problem until I stopped storing acorns in my cheeks.  We do have refrigerators these days, you know. :D

You store acorns in your fridge?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I've read lots of articles lately talking about a huge range of things that can shrink the brain at any age.  It was all pretty scary.  Two of the big ones that can generate that problem are stress and lack of sleep/interrupted sleep, both of which I have big problems with, and have had for many years.  Now every time I see my mother evidencing mental decline, I wonder when and how much that sort of thing is coming for me.

Stress, lack of sleep (which is how the brain clears toxins, since it is insulated from the bloodstream), and other things that cause inflammation (including blows to the head) all kill brain cells.  The brain and the heart are the two organs in the body that have electromagnetic communication systems -- doctors listen to these systems via EEGs and ECGs.  Any new cell growth disrupts these systems, and causes seizures and heart attacks, so we don't really get any new heart or brain cells after birth.   The 10% figure applies both to the heart and brain, and is the product of wear and tear that comes with aging.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

This is a big problem that is making me hesitate to get clothes with integrated pads.  Reviews on Amazon regularly say you need to buy a different size than you measure at, often one size bigger, sometimes two ... 

I'm going to review the G-Form gear I recently received as soon as I get chance. Their gear is compression fit so you put it under your regular clothes and as it is basically a second skin the pads do not shift. I got the shirt, board and ski shorts, and elite elbow and knee pads (both motorcycle rated). It is expensive. Probably comparable to the D3O stuff and it uses the same non newtonian type of protection. All items fit well under my work clothes so I expect to just commute in with my stealth protection and just pop in the bathroom when I arrive to remove it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an interesting concept. A helmet with a brake light that calls 911 if you are involved in an accident (or stuck up on @Marty Backe's  Mountain) The  video below briefly depicts a hoverboard rider using the helmet (sorry no EUCs featured). 

om0au0R.jpg

The main theme revolves around motorcyclists. I like the concept of alerting drivers approaching from behind.

Unfortunately it is Kickstarter funded so hard to say if it will ever make it to market.

Edited by Rehab1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hansolo said:

The Cosmo's light seems dinky compared to rival Break Free's; but then again "it's more than just a remote light". The Cosmo can text loved one's: "X has suffered a terrible riding accident... Contacting paramedics and Coroner's Office... Visit Y Hospital to assess condition/identify body."

032717-Brake-Free-01-633x389.jpg.0b1196eabf674f50d4156ea62e653ac9.jpg050317-Cosmo-Connected.jpg.1a58cdb88cc695545385632b6dac5773.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice find!  That stuff looks pretty cool... and would be great on an EUC/clothes/etc.

https://volvocarslifepaint.com/product/lifepaint/
 

It does seem to wash off over time though so maybe a coat of clearcoat over top might help with longevity if spraying onto a wheel.

EDIT:  Ew.... reviews don't seem so good...

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/accessories/product/review-volvo-lifepaint-50014/

http://adage.com/article/global-news/grand-prix-gutter-volvo-life-paint-ad-banned/309045/

Maybe this stuff called Albedo 100 is better?  Or not?  Read the reviews...

Non-permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Invisible-Bright/dp/B00WRNPI50

Permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Spray-Permanent/dp/B01K7LTSMC

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice find!  That stuff looks pretty cool... and would be great on an EUC/clothes/etc.

https://volvocarslifepaint.com/product/lifepaint/
 

It does seem to wash off over time though so maybe a coat of clearcoat over top might help with longevity if spraying onto a wheel.

EDIT:  Ew.... reviews don't seem so good...

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/accessories/product/review-volvo-lifepaint-50014/

http://adage.com/article/global-news/grand-prix-gutter-volvo-life-paint-ad-banned/309045/

Maybe this stuff called Albedo 100 is better?  Or not?  Read the reviews...

Non-permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Invisible-Bright/dp/B00WRNPI50

Permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Spray-Permanent/dp/B01K7LTSMC

They even had paint for horses and pets.  Maybe this Rustoleum would work, they say it works on metal and fabric, but I didn't see where it is invisible in the daylight.  It is a lot cheaper, though.  https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-214944-Reflective-10-Ounce-Spray/dp/B000LNVC1M/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000LNVC1M&pd_rd_r=3DTVHN1CZQ0ZXT73E7FE&pd_rd_w=eVj7M&pd_rd_wg=pjOJP&psc=1&refRID=3DTVHN1CZQ0ZXT73E7FE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Nice find!  That stuff looks pretty cool... and would be great on an EUC/clothes/etc.

https://volvocarslifepaint.com/product/lifepaint/
 

It does seem to wash off over time though so maybe a coat of clearcoat over top might help with longevity if spraying onto a wheel.

EDIT:  Ew.... reviews don't seem so good...

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/category/accessories/product/review-volvo-lifepaint-50014/

http://adage.com/article/global-news/grand-prix-gutter-volvo-life-paint-ad-banned/309045/

Maybe this stuff called Albedo 100 is better?  Or not?  Read the reviews...

Non-permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Invisible-Bright/dp/B00WRNPI50

Permanent:

https://www.amazon.com/Albedo-100-Reflective-Spray-Permanent/dp/B01K7LTSMC

Volvo lifepaint is basically Albedo 100 rebranded. It's a collaboration between Volvo, Albedo and a British marketing agency.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Forget uses for safety - I'm getting a full body coat for bedroom use!

Or perhaps just selected pieces... For a fuller effect?

Personal naturist rave? Just add edm... :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't want to invest in shin pads yet so went this route for $5 from Wal-Mart. Figured it would make good eye skin later.

20180115_153824_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×