Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

49 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

When doing those back and forth reversals, use caution not to do them too much as that may stress out the MOSFETs.  :efef927839:  Some people have reported in the past blowing out a component doing that too aggressively.  I haven't heard any problems recently so maybe with the better cooling advancements it's not an issue any more?  I wonder if the sound produced could be some of the copper coils shifting position slightly as the magnetic force direction changes.  It would be interesting to see a Wheelog chart of the current and voltage changes that occur with the short pendulum movements.

I suspect this is now a problem of the past. Maybe if you do that for 5 minutes you'll be in trouble, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. When I do a bunch of pendulums for 30 seconds or so the control board temps certainly rise, but not anywhere near dangerous levels.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

Yes, the Green Travel shop on Aliexpress. You can buy one there immediately (that's what a handful of us did recently). I'm not aware of any resellers who have them yet.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Just got mine today. :clap3: Took exactly 8 days after the order, so not bad at all for the wait time. Especially since I just got back into town about 8 hrs before it arrived. Idaho was beautiful but rainy. Didnt get to ride with @GoinPostal , but even if I had made it there without a 7 hr diversion thru Nevada and Utah, it wouldve rained us out after about a half hour anyway. At least they really need the rain. I still rode thru Ontario Oregon for a half hour while waiting for my truck tire to be patched.

The auto molding half form can be procurred from any of the auto stores, Pep boys, Oreilly, autozone. Check the packaging to make sure its the right stuff. I think its usually trunk molding and it comes in a couple of sizes or shapes. That Ali express store @Marty Backe mentioned is the BEST!

image.jpg

Wow. I'm really impressed with that shipping time. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the wheel.

We sure are spoiled with our weather huh. B)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

Just got mine today. :clap3: Took exactly 8 days after the order, so not bad at all for the wait time. Especially since I just got back into town about 8 hrs before it arrived. Idaho was beautiful but rainy. Didnt get to ride with @GoinPostal , but even if I had made it there without a 7 hr diversion thru Nevada and Utah, it wouldve rained us out after about a half hour anyway. At least they really need the rain. I still rode thru Ontario Oregon for a half hour while waiting for my truck tire to be patched.

The auto molding half form can be procurred from any of the auto stores, Pep boys, Oreilly, autozone. Check the packaging to make sure its the right stuff. I think its usually trunk molding and it comes in a couple of sizes or shapes. That Ali express store @Marty Backe mentioned is the BEST!

image.jpg

Truly disappointed that we didn't get to ride. If you're ever in the neighborhood again, look me up! I am looking forward to riding with someone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

That's so funny. That happened to me (only once so far). In my case I had to step off when doing some backward runs and the wheel did its little Gotway dance.

I feel better now that I'm not the only one.   I hate that dance! :cheers:  

I can usually grab Mten quick enough if it drops when working on tricks but not the mount. I refuse to look down when climbing aboard. I know it's just muscle memory transitioning from the other wheels but seeing your Mten explode with pieces flying off really sucks!

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I love the KS14S in that the wheel instantly turns into a dead animal when it falls to the ground. Why can't Gotway figure out how to stop the wheel from spinning for 5 seconds???

Yes my KS16S does the same. I figure Gotway already knows how to program the stop feature into it's models but prefers the additional capital it generates from spare parts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

The best for heat Transportation is use of massive Mosfets on massive heatsinks and have the heatsinks exposed to the outside!

I actually want to modify my KS14c with an Aluminum centerpiece rising under the handle from the inside. I have two new case halves and plan on it for a next summer modification. You are spot on in that analysis!

49 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

My view on Fans:

When they are implemented like in the Monster or in the Tesla...they are more or less useless. Many Monster owners can confirm that....they just shift the warm air a bit around.

Fans only bring an Advantage if they Transport the heat out of the Shell Environment or when they are not fans like this Little PC fans(axial fans) and are instead radial fans, which have a much better pressure and pump.

The best for heat Transportation is use of massive Mosfets on massive heatsinks and have the heatsinks exposed to the outside!

For the MTen that is all no Problem...it is only 800 Watt...2 parallel packs which can not produce much Amps at all

For the new Tesla: I would not be surprised if there will be heat Problems like on the Monster when it is running on hills with heavy western People on it.

AFAIK there are just this 2 Little axial fans and the heatsink is NOT exposed to the outside at all. And that on a 1900Watt Motor?

My 2 Cents...

Yet Gotway stuck fans in the Mten3 too. Seems like 2017 is the year of the fan - just about all the wheels have fans now. Somehow the ACM and MSuper, very powerful wheels, do not need fans and they don't overheat.

50 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

I actually want to modify my KS14c with an Aluminum centerpiece rising under the handle from the inside. I have two new case halves and plan on it for a next summer modification. You are spot on in that analysis!

Some experience with my old 18A:

I would guess that a good Ventilation (opening the Shell) on top and installing 2 fans, one of them leadíng the hot air outside would be more than enough.

Just alone the openings of the 18A Shell on top leads to minus 10° less, the fan then got another 10°minus....perhaps that is an easy solution for the 14c also....

Seems like the Mten3 has enough fans right here in this thread!  

So, I think the saga of my effort to buy one of these little wheels is finally done.  Over the past couple of weeks, I have been trying to place an order through the AliExpress platform with the "Green and Fashion Travaling [sic] Shop." Apparently, AliExpress REALLY doesn't like my money.  I tried multiple payment methods including two different perfectly valid credit card accounts plus PayPal only to be thwarted by their security review process.  The only way to appeal would have been to further validate my identity by submitting copies of my passport, drivers license, bank statement, etc.  Fat chance of that!  I would sooner turn over my wallet to a pack of thieves.  

The proprietor at G&FTS was very accommodating throughout this ordeal, and eventually we decided to just cut Ali out of the equation and deal directly with each other through a PayPal transaction.  Whew, spending nearly $1,000 USD shouldn't be this difficult!

Now for the waiting part.  Looking forward to the riding part.   

Edited by radial
  • Like 2