Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Lowered it for all customers.

But: interesting to know, if you buy through the Aliexpress mobile app you get even more discount.

It's still in promo right now. This is the one I got (the biggest battery version):

59b6f4b227f0b_ScreenShot2017-09-11at22_39_52.thumb.png.a36db7c35f8656b7e44d34d0db5ca801.png

In the mobile app it's cheaper. I paid about 750 euro for it.

This is the one with the smallest battery:

59b6f4fbf3a02_ScreenShot2017-09-11at22_41_10.thumb.png.217e09317a5be877d757739cd72d8f9b.png

(also a bit cheaper in the app if you check there).

Thanks, @ir_fuel (and @KingSong69 ).  I'm checking with the seller to see if they can match the original price.

1 hour ago, radial said:

Thanks, @ir_fuel (and @KingSong69 ).  I'm checking with the seller to see if they can match the original price.

Here's my reply.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.58.14 PM.png59b731caeef13_ScreenShot2017-09-11at8_58_14PM.thumb.png.42c1c8f1a73484b232470fff711ea3cd.png

Well, I'm sorry too, but I guess I'll just sit back and wait to see how this new Gotway offering fares at that pricepoint.  I already have a pretty nimble wheel (ninebot 1E+), so it's no big deal for me to miss this opportunity.  

Edited by radial
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@electricpen how was the mud butt factor? does the MTen3 in rain need a mudguard you think?

Oddly this was not too bad but I wasn't going that fast and only went through a couple deeper puddles. I suppose one advantage of living on top of a hill is that big puddles aren't much of an issue for most of the trip. I would expect traveling through consistently deeper water would require a mudguard but I won't know on this commute since the incline keeps the surface from accumulating water, it is wet but not really slick if that makes sense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

I should note there was a thunderstorm tonight in SF and I had taken the Mten on my daily commute to school for the first time. I rode home 3 miles in the rain at night and the wheel handled it well. The pedals are a lot less slippery when wet than the Kingsong pedals which I probably need to cover with better grip tape. The only real difference was it was a bit unstable if you went over a groove lengthwise. But it got me home safe and I actually appreciated the dancing light show since the cars had reduced visibility in the rain. Oddly this may be my go-to wheel if I'm commuting in the rain since I tend to stay off the road in the rain since the cars 1) have less visibility, 2) have less control, and 3) spray water all over me which sucks. And if a trip is going to be 100% on sidewalks I prefer the Mten. So I guess it came just in time for rainy season :clap3:

I noticed that Gotway is using the pedals that originally came with the ACM - with those red rubber inserts. The effect is that my feet really stick to the pedals. I like them a lot.

If my commute was only a few miles I would definitely be using the Mten3.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@electricpen how was the mud butt factor? does the MTen3 in rain need a mudguard you think?

Haven't you seen that Gotway video where he's flying through deep water. See the second page of this thread. It looks like no spray is going up in the back.

52 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Haven't you seen that Gotway video where he's flying through deep water. See the second page of this thread. It looks like no spray is going up in the back.

Flying? That video he's going super slow.

Was interested more at cruising speeds of 20-22mph, smaller puddle conditions I would actually face, etc

Edited by houseofjob

18 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Flying? That video he's going super slow.

Was interested more at cruising speeds of 20-22mph, smaller puddle conditions I would actually face, etc

Wow -  20+ mph through water. You live on the edge man :cry2:

9 hours ago, radial said:

Here's my reply.

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 8.58.14 PM.png59b731caeef13_ScreenShot2017-09-11at8_58_14PM.thumb.png.42c1c8f1a73484b232470fff711ea3cd.png

Well, I'm sorry too, but I guess I'll just sit back and wait to see how this new Gotway offering fares at that pricepoint.  I already have a pretty nimble wheel (ninebot 1E+), so it's no big deal for me to miss this opportunity.  

That makes sense, you need to check exchange rates. Converting my EUR prices to USD I see the most expensive one is at 963 dollar which equals 807 EUR

Finally got the Metn3 today, it truly seems to be a fabulous wheel.  My charger is super hot when charging, hot enough where i could not hold it in my hand.

Is this normal? I don't think my ACM charger got this hot.

Edited by Mrd777
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

That makes sense, you need to check exchange rates. Converting my EUR prices to USD I see the most expensive one is at 963 dollar which equals 807 EUR

Seems like just a few weeks ago they were selling for around $800 USD.  Maybe I was imagining that?  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, radial said:

Seems like just a few weeks ago they were selling for around $800 USD.  Maybe I was imagining that?  

Yes. I paid $800 for mine. I'll let you give it a spin at the group ride! ;)

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, radial said:

The $800 price was an introductory offer by this particular reseller, valid until early September if I recall correctly.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

Finally got the Metn3 today, it truly seems to be a fabulous wheel.  My charger is super hot when charging, hot enough where i could not hold it in my hand.

Is this normal? I don't think my ACM charger got this hot.

Great. Another member of the Mten3 club :cheers:

Seems to me that all the Gotway chargers run extremely hot (too hot to hold). I try and position mine to maximize air flow around the 'brick'.

After you put a few miles on it, let us know what you think.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

The $800 price was an introductory offer by this particular reseller, valid until early September if I recall correctly.

I think that's exactly right.  Still, it might have been more prudent for the seller to extend the promotion for a few more days, or at least be willing to bargain.  You know what they say about how many positive customer experiences it takes to counterbalance a negative one.  Oh well, at least now I don't have to grit my teeth and join the Gotway cult.  Not yet, anyway.  :D

1 minute ago, radial said:

I think that's exactly right.  Still, it might have been more prudent for the seller to extend the promotion for a few more days, or at least be willing to bargain.  You know what they say about how many positive customer experiences it takes to counterbalance a negative one.  Oh well, at least now I don't have to grit my teeth and join the Gotway cult.  Not yet, anyway.  :D

I'm not s reseller of any type, but it seems to me that's the purpose of sales/introductory prices, etc. To drive sales. They probably lose their effectiveness if people come to believe that a deadline isn't really a deadline.

I guess it's up to @edwin_rm to convert you to the Gotway life. There's hope yet :D

• Upvote 2

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'm not s reseller of any type, but it seems to me that's the purpose of sales/introductory prices, etc. To drive sales. They probably lose their effectiveness if people come to believe that a deadline isn't really a deadline.

I guess it's up to @edwin_rm to convert you to the Gotway life. There's hope yet :D

It's all on you, @edwin_rm!  :roflmao:

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2017 at 10:57 PM, Marty Backe said:

Reach out to your Gotway contact and confirm that there's no method of determining the battery level except via the app ;)

I've been unable to see any pattern in the ring lights which indicate power level.

Hm... On my Mten3 I clearly see the row of 6 lights on the front side, they indicate the power level when the wheel is not moving. I received the wheel with 30% charge and only two lights out of 6 were lit, after I charged it - all 6 are lit. Luffy has a similar indicator, but with the row of 4 lights.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Stan Onymous said:

My Mten is on a slow boat from China. ??. I hope it doesnt get sea or homesick. Soon I will know the joy of the super fun good happy time mten! :roflmao:

As soon as you get it we need to do a city ride (LA or some other city). Some place to take advantage of its features.