Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I use PayPal for a lot of online transactions (like buying the Mten3). Mine is linked to my primary credit card, so I don't use it in the traditional sense. After many years, never have I had a problem (knock on wood).

Probably no problem unless you try to group buy 1000 pounds of lithium batteries.  That actually makes me feel better about PayPal.  I didn't watch the video, but just the picture of a pallet load of batteries raised red flags.

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I would doubt any US commercial airline would let you check an Mten3 into baggage.  Maybe call to see.

Yeah, sounds too much like an M80 firecracker.

I put one of those in a half empty gallon can of paint next to a bridge support in the river bottom, and when it went off it shot burning paint onto the concrete.

Edited by steve454
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, trya said:

@Philfree here is some video, we went for a beach ride with my son, he is on Inmotion V8 and I'm on Mten3. I had to let some air out from the tire to handle the beach sand, originally it was at 40-45psi, I think I lowered it to something around 25-30... The second part shows some freestyle moves I try on Mten3 - they are not as stable as on my mcm2s or V5F+ - mostly because the pedal feels a bit slippery (the smaller the wheel - the stronger the lever pushing you off the pedal in one-legged position), I need to either get used to it, or add something for better traction, or increase the angle of the pedals ("raise the wings").

Ah, nice to see another rider having fun on the Mten3. You guys had the whole beach to yourselves. I need to get out there during the next low tide to get some sand riding in :)

I really wish I could do those 180 reversals that you do perfectly :thumbup:. I just can't do it and I'm not sure what's the best technique to practice with. That has to be my next goal! Somehow :confused1:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gustesta said:

Can I check the MTen 3 in a domestic flight?  Are they allowed?

Many thanks

I believe the limit is 300wh and only in carry on luggage. Each airline is different as are the airports as far as regulations, and electric wheel chairs travel, so maybe if you get the smaller battery. 

Check with the airlines in the cities where you travel and look it up on the TSA website. Call it a Personal Transport Device. PTD, sounds official and then say "like the electric wheel chairs." now its official. Lol :whistling:

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, trya said:

Here are a few things which may help:

- find as smooth surface as possible;
- before making the turn, try these (assuming you make a 180 turn to the left):
  -- straighten your left leg,  bend your right leg
  -- twist your body (before turning the wheel!) so that your shoulders and your head turned left at about 90 degrees

Thanks for the tips - I'll experiment tomorrow :)

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So I was playing with the Mten3 on the grass and attempted to climb this hill (it's steeper than it looks in the video), unsuccessfully. The slick tire of the Mten3 in combination with thick grass results in no traction :D

Good save on the second run Marty :) I have noticed that Mten3 is the only wheel you always ride without any protection.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xebeche said:

Good save on the second run Marty :) I have noticed that Mten3 is the only wheel you always ride without any protection.

I'm riding this wheel much more leisurely than my other wheels, so I feel safe enough as is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trya said:

here is some video, we went for a beach ride with my son, he is on Inmotion V8 and I'm on Mten3.

That looked like a relaxing ride:wub: Nice skills! Guessing the mten3 is perfect for these insta-turns while keeping the riding direction.

Does the constant, gusty wind not make it hard to ride on the beach? I'm finding that wind is the biggest nuisance on EUC rides sometimes...

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

So I was playing with the Mten3 on the grass and attempted to climb this hill (it's steeper than it looks in the video), unsuccessfully. The slick tire of the Mten3 in combination with thick grass results in no traction :D

Can you elaborate exactly how things happened? From the video, it looks like the mten3 simply cuts out (it starts beeping pretty much immediately, not after falling), but you say it slipped (and one shouldn't be able to overpower an 800W wheel with such a tiny tire = high torque this easily), but then how do the beeps happen? Did it have time to spin up to  above its maximum power in this short moment?

21 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Can you elaborate exactly how things happened? From the video, it looks like the mten3 simply cuts out (it starts beeping pretty much immediately, not after falling), but you say it slipped (and one shouldn't be able to overpower an 800W wheel with such a tiny tire = high torque this easily), but then how do the beeps happen? Did it have time to spin up to  above its maximum power in this short moment?

It did not cut out on me. Simple matter of a tire with minimal thread trying to climb a slippery hill. Not a good combination. I've never been able to overpower the Mten3 yet.

The beeping occurred for the same reason that the beeping occurs when you lift the wheel with the power on. When I lost control I could feel the tire spin up as I fell forward. You can see it on the second fall, but this time the wheel spins rapidly as the tire spins up.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

@trya very nice video :thumbup: this little mten look fun and perhaps a little more difficult for one foot. After an adjustment period you will master all your tricks perfectly :)

@Marty Backe for the 180° try to start the move with the head and the shoulders a example by Hirsute :    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3J6hKXF0eoubElESnBMMUJ5OEU/view  it's just a matter of practice Marty ;)

Edited by Philfree
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Does the constant, gusty wind not make it hard to ride on the beach? I'm finding that wind is the biggest nuisance on EUC rides sometimes...

Sidewinds might be a nuisance, agree. The wind direction was perfect for this ride.

Interesting comments regarding the payments made to AliExpress by some of you. I personally have never been asked to provide them with any personal documentation. Perhaps it is because I have had the account for 2 years, and they implemented that stipulation later?, or perhaps it is because I use Verified by VISA. I payed with credit card and it went smoothly like in any other website, no questions asked. :efee6b18f3:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Interesting comments regarding the payments made to AliExpress by some of you. I personally have never been asked to provide them with any personal documentation. Perhaps it is because I have had the account for 2 years, and they implemented that stipulation later?, or perhaps it is because I use Verified by VISA. I payed with credit card and it went smoothly like in any other website, no questions asked. :efee6b18f3:

You were fortunate.

29 minutes ago, jbwheel said:

@trya nive video but be careful with the salty water, the charging port is 84V, probably more than 10A... I don't understand why GW keep doing this.

These wheels handle salt water just fine

• Like 1