Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

17 minutes ago, trya said:

Hm... On my Mten3 I clearly see the row of 6 lights on the front side, they indicate the power level when the wheel is not moving. I received the wheel with 30% charge and only two lights out of 6 were lit, after I charged it - all 6 are lit. Luffy has a similar indicator, but with the row of 4 lights.

Yes, I see that too now. But I'd swear that all lights were let when the battery was far from 100 percent. So I don't know. Probably just me and I need to pay better attention.be

So you have a Luffy too? What are your impressions concerning the differences between the two wheels. Different beasts entirely?

EDIT - Forget my last question - I'm reading this thread backwards for some reason, so now I'm reading your thoughts on the Mten3 :)

Edited by Marty Backe

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

As soon as you get it we need to do a city ride (LA or some other city). Some place to take advantage of its features.

Downtown L.A. would be a great ride. i am totally dialed in around the bonaventure and the new State Park above Chinatown. There's a little elevated section that stretches almost 5 or 6 blocks over the freeway and down towards cityhall, where there is another cool set of elevated terraces and pathways.

Edited by Stan Onymous
More info
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, trya said:

uaR978x.jpg

I got my Mten3 today and rode it for about 20 minutes. My impression is very good, I support all the Marty's statements about this wheel, although I can't say that I'm as exited as Marty :)  What I like the most - is the power in a small and extremely agile wheel. 

I wanted a small wheel for quite a long time, and this is actually my third wheel < 14". The first one was IPS A130, the second - Gotway Luffy. 
My impressions about IPS A130 can be found here: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/666-ips-a130/#comment-21972
Luffy feels close to A130, i.e. the power is about the same, but it is more agile due to its 10" (vs 12" on IPS).

I probably can add a few comments by comparing Luffy and Mten3.

Power: there is no comparison, Luffy is weak compared to Mten3. I can easily overpower Luffy by over-leaning backward when switching from forward to backward, not so on Mten3. I feel on Mten3 about the same as on my old and extremely reliable MCM2s. They have very similar feel (in terms of power), but, of course, Mten3 is a lot more agile.
Agility: Luffy and Mten3 feel about the same, very tight and quick turns, easy to ride slow, great maneuvering. However, on Luffy one has to be careful with acceleration/deceleration and reversing - there is real danger of overpowering the wheel, the riding style has to be smooth, non-aggressive.
Speed: I probably wouldn't dare to go over 25kmh on such a small (albeit unstable) wheel unless I'm on ideal surface. Both wheels can do 25, and even though Mten3 can go beyond that - I doubt that I will ever use that. On KS18 30kmh feels like not fast enough, but on 10" - 20 feels like too fast :) 
Pedals: great on Mten3 and OK on Luffy (smaller but comfy enough). Luffy's pedals are a lot lower - this is a disadvantage compared to Mten3, but may not be a big deal if one maitains the smooth riding style.
Weight/Size: Luffy is significantly lighter and smaller, even though both wheels are 10". One can easily carry Luffy in the backpack - but I wouldn't do this with Mten3, as it is a heavier and bulkier. You can walk with Luffy in hand for a long time - not so easy with Mten3.
Light: great on Mten3, no light on Luffy.
Battery: on 200Wh Luffy I rode for 15+ km, Mten3 will probably ride me for 30-40 km.
Body: similar shape on both wheels, Mten3 is more polished, but I think that the black plastic is too weak and can break easily (have to be proven), also it is connected to the white one very unreliably and you can detach it easily with two fingers (and as easy to snap it back)... I don't like this flimsy connections.
Tire: great wide tire on Mten3, I think I will be able to ride wet sand on the beach, probably better than my 14" wheels. This is just an assumption, it has to be tested.
Price: Luffy is about half the price of Mten, and this is fair.
Surprises: due to fat tire you can almost stand still on Mten3 with a little twisting or very small pendulum. I didn't expect it, but I was able to do on Mten3 all the tricks I can do on 14"+ wheels (not that I do many) - various reverse movements, one leg, and even one leg backward/forward on the "wrong side"! However, I like V5F+ better for tricks - perhaps because I'm not used to Mten3 yet.

The bottom line: even though both wheels are 10" - in my view they are in different categories. 
Luffy would work better as the "last mile transporation" device - if all you need is to ride it from train/bus to the office, or around the campus, and easily carry it around while walking. Also Luffy is a great wheel for kids.
Mten3 is a fun wheel, as Marty describes it. It is very good for riding "for pleasure" as one of the wheels in your quiver :) In my view, by its "functionality" it might be close to 14" light wheels (MCM2, V5) - however, due to its agility - it feels a lot different.

Given that I use wheels for fun, I think that I'll part with my Luffy :) 

Fantastic summary. I enjoyed the read. Seems like everyone likes the Mten3.

Perhaps I'm over enthused about this wheel because I've never owned such a small nimble wheel that has all the apparent power of my bigger wheels. Like you say, you don't have to worry about how much power you demand from the wheel, versus the Luffy as an example.

I really don't have a desire to go faster than 15mph on this thing, but I love the ability to push it hard within the 0 - 15mph envelop.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here are some moves for all of us new Mten owners to practice. And I love his enthusiasm for the original Mten which I think translates nicely into Version 3. Thanks to @Hunka Hunka Burning Love for digging up this video.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just curious if anyone also notices that this little m10 gets quite hot?  Has anyone experienced any sound from the fans? I can't say I've really heard them..

So far this wheel has been a blast in NYC, it's been wonderful to basically hover at intersections waiting for the light to change. It's also a game changer running errands since it's so light and an ease to pick up upon arrival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

Just curious if anyone also notices that this little m10 gets quite hot?  Has anyone experienced any sound from the fans? I can't say I've really heard them..

So far this wheel has been a blast in NYC, it's been wonderful to basically hover at intersections waiting for the light to change. It's also a game changer running errands since it's so light and an ease to pick up upon arrival.

I have not noticed any heat from it. The fans on mine certainly do turn on - they aren't very loud though. Have you observed the actual control board temperatures? Mine have been in the low 40's.

I can imagine how fun it would be in the city.

P.s. you need to update your signature - and I need to update mine :)

21 minutes ago, trya said:

Did anybody get alarms on Mten3? I ride it up to 25-26 kmh - but haven't heard any alarms yet. 

No. But I always turn off all the alarms that I can with my new wheels. I think about the fastest I've ridden mine is the same as you.

I have heard the alarm when power is low (below 15% battery).

Did you see the high speed test run video posted by @who_the. He got it to beep :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, trya said:

Did anybody get alarms on Mten3? I ride it up to 25-26 kmh - but haven't heard any alarms yet. 

Yes. I heard them while riding. Started beeping at ~34 kph (measured by Ulysse Speedometer with "process slow speed" setting enabled).

Not bad for what's really a wheel designed for kids!

Edited by edwin_rm
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

Yes. I heard them while riding. Started beeping at ~34 kph (measured by Ulysse Speedometer with "process slow speed" setting enabled).

Not bad for what's really a wheel designed for kids!

Designed for KIDS???

What are you smoking :D

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Designed for KIDS???

What are you smoking :D

:blink:  What do you mean?  Don't you feel like you're 15 all over again?  I could have sworn it was a kid having fun in your Mten videos.... :confused1:  Might have to rewatch them again to look for the older guy.... :lol:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, duaner said:

Preorder how? (not on your website).  How about the 525Wh model?

Yeah, not having the larger battery models is a bummer. I would highly recommend the 512wh because you can get a solid 16 - 18 miles out of it. But I guess it depends on your use case.

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yeah, not having the larger battery models is a bummer. I would highly recommend the 512wh because you can get a solid 16 - 18 miles out of it. But I guess it depends on your use case.

The reason I didn't order any 512's is that I consider it an agile, powerful little fun machine and less weight is ideal. I will be getting some in though, just not next week.

• Like 1

Just now, Brad Webster said:

The reason I didn't order any 512's is that I consider it an agile, powerful little fun machine and less weight is ideal. I will be getting some in though, just not next week.

:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1