Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

On 10/1/2017 at 7:20 AM, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe How is your ankle padding holding up on the Mten3? I've been practicing alot and destroyed mine. 

mine are also damaged, they are definitely too soft. I'm not sure yet what to replace them with after they fall apart - I'd like to put there something really thin.

• Like 1

BTW, @Marty Backe, have you tried riding your other wheels lately? I went for a ride on my V5 after riding exclusively mten3 for some time - and felt really uncomfortable making the switch. V5 feels like an untamed animal :) It requires more attention and more accuracy to control it, while mten3 feels more like a mind-reading device, it just does what you need as soon as you think about it :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, trya said:

BTW, @Marty Backe, have you tried riding your other wheels lately? I went for a ride on my V5 after riding exclusively mten3 for some time - and felt really uncomfortable making the switch. V5 feels like an untamed animal :) It requires more attention and more accuracy to control it, while mten3 feels more like a mind-reading device, it just does what you need as soon as you think about it :)

That's very funny, and true :D  Try riding a Monster, it feels like an immovable brick in comparison ;)

I think your description of the the Mten3 as a mind reading device is perfect.

All of my time on the Mten3 has helped my backward riding skills on my other wheels. I don't think you need improvement in that department, but I do. It looks like the skills gained on this wheel do translate to a degree to other wheels. So people who want to up their game in backward riding should consider an Mten3 :thumbup:

• Like 3

It truly is amazing switching from one wheel to the next. Our brain and body memory really lock into each wheel. It takes me sometime to adjust even going back to the Mten after blasting around on the Gt16. I actually have to be careful.

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mrd777 said:

It truly is amazing switching from one wheel to the next. Our brain and body memory really lock into each wheel. It takes me sometime to adjust even going back to the Mten after blasting around on the Gt16. I actually have to be careful.

Totally agree. And that's what's fun about having a variety of wheels. It keeps you on your toes, and of course variety is the spice of life :D

3 hours ago, radial said:

According to FEDEX, my new Mten3 will be here by Thursday! 

:thumbup:

Exciting times ahead. You'll be having a fun weekend :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, trya said:

mine are also damaged, they are definitely too soft. I'm not sure yet what to replace them with after they fall apart - I'd like to put there something really thin.

I can send you some foam. It just arrived.

36752839774_ed372df690_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I can send you some foam. It just arrived.

36752839774_ed372df690_b.jpg

I don't know, do you think that'll be enough :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know, do you think that'll be enough :lol:

What can I say... the foam sheet came from Texas.:P 

I am thinking about painting Mten so I will be replacing all 4  pads. It is a bit more closed cell than the OEM version but should  be comfortable enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

What can I say... the foam sheet came from Texas.:P 

I am thinking about painting Mten so I will be replacing all 4  pads. It is a bit more closed cell than the OEM version but should  be comfortable enough. 

Be sure to keep us in the loop as you mod the wheel

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

More Mten3 fun - it never ends I tell you :D

@Bambino i agree. the video’s of your passion of getting outside and learning new things on your euc, just for fun, does a lot to promote this activity and euc’s which should help all of us. i have a question, and i realize you have been doing this for awhile and have had some unintentional dismounts. you are very good about wearing protective gear in most of your videos and i applaud you for that. it’s a pita but the smart thing to do. i hate protective gear, i don’t even like clothes, but, when i rode street motorcycles, i always wore a helmet, gloves boots, jacket and jeans, except when i’d cruise gulf blvd by the beach or daytona a1a, take off the helmet, just to feel open air and let my face breathe, arai full face helmets fitted correctly are like a girdle. so, it’s finally getting a little less like hades here at the ranch, so i’m gearing up to start my training (still gotta clear the road, grass is too thick in the pasture, thank God) keeping in mind how much i hate wearing anything, looking back and looking forward, at what skill level, experience, speed, euc, do you decide to suit up or not? i get beat up daily here at the ranch. i’m literally camping out in a cargo container, so i’m pretty tough but i don’t want to knock out some teeth or something. like at what speed is safe in your mind for a beginner with no protective gear on grass and on pavement? it’s confusing tosomebody on the outside looking in, u see promos with protective gear, u see promos with, u see forum videos with and then see videos without, and like u, u see u with and without. hard to figure out. ur not old enough but i remember skateboards intro. the doctors really started to rake it in after that. not to hijack ur mten thread, and i love it but i don’t like that it doesn’t cutoff immediately on tilt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

@novazeus

The protection gear question...

From my view and mz experience that has nothing to do with speed and “how good you drive”.

Mostly people start with more or less none protection gear (my view). The more experienced they get, the more wheels they drive, they put up more gear. Reason is just, that you realize over the time, that in the end, driving an EUC is not so undangerous hobby!I bet most of the people dont put it up, because they fear of there “own” faults!

It are scenarios, that you dont exspect, hidden bumps, or people coming in your way...and for the most: Failure of the wheel! You have to realize, that (beside tire not rated correct ;-) ) if ANYTHING in your wheel fails, you will go and have a massive faceplant. Can be ONE battery cell, one conductor, one chip, one mosfet, one wire...and the machine will so FAST dip over, that you can not run this out or react to it. So having protective gear is a very good idea...at all speeds. I also bet, this statement will get up some young dudes that insist on rolling over, as they have fighting, snowboard or whatever experience and/or they dont drive faster than they can run.......ok, they haven’t experienced a real cutout yet and are overestimating their abilities.

When you look at the 230 people meetup in France last weekend...most of them wear protective gear...not because they have to or their group ride at 10-12kmh is so fricking fast. They just know better from long time experience and bad stories that happend. I personallz have had 3 major falls, one while learning, one while overestimating my and the wheels abilities, one hardware fault cutout.

2nd and 3rd summed up to 4-5 broken ripps...and without protective gear i would doubt to write this here at all. Especially the 3rd fall was scary...it was on a struggling wheel, where i know that something might happen NOW, as the wheel had trouble moving up the hill, but even with this knowing, i wasnt able to prevent the fall that happend after the cutout...and it was just at 12-15kmh?!!

So my answer is: Protection is a must....if you like your health. I would guess @Marty Backe goes with this?

(i should save and copy this to some notices, cant remember how often i have written about it ;-) )

i mean other than buying and possesing 3 wheels, and doing a lot of research, other than ten minutes on a wall with a cane in one hand, zero experience. just from the little bit of free travel, i can see that its an unatural feeling rolling forward. just got done watching that kid 11 years old in his backyard doing tricks, no gear, and the girl in this video, no gear. no matter how tough u think u are, ur medical bills will be ridiculous, if something happens. so, not knowing anything yet really about these wheels, except u would have to be pretty unobservant not to see how they could be dangerous to the rider and/or bystanders, i agree gear sb worn always, depending on how good ur insurance is.

• Like 1

I didn't even think about wearing a helmet when I got my EUC until the first day, and then I thought, "hell, this feels really sketchy". My skateboard helmet soon arrived but after dropping my EUC in a hole a few times I realized anything other than a full-face helmet is also really sketchy.

You kinda need a full-face helmet with an EPS chinbar if you're going to ride EUC's for any length of time. I ride with the Bell 3R and leave it at "good enough but not the best".

While I do occasionally, perhaps often, ride with no protection at all, it is with extreme caution, in a crouch, at speeds < 10 mph and much lower, with places I've already gone, in good weather, on the sidewalk, and with no sudden movements except to bail without hesitation. If I even suspect the pedals dipping I bail and catch the wheel.

I haven't yet experienced a cutout but I have had two accidents where I dropped my wheel into a pavement crack, Excalibur style. Yep, you are hitting the ground on cutouts.

@novazeus, in order to ascertain which protective equipment is appropriate for you, don't you first have to learn to ride an EUC?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

@novazeus, in order to ascertain which protective equipment is appropriate for you, don't you first have to learn to ride an EUC?

i can see offering that advice to a friend, “grasshopper, to know what protective gear to wear, u must first learn to ride euc”. this ain’t kung fu. my little gfs might not seem the brightest at times, but they won’t fall for that.

i know what i’m gonna do. did u see how i padded my wheels? i’ve got 150 animals that depend on me. i have no sick days. that’s why i haven’t begun my training yet. too hot for protective gear, here. plus, being a contractor and believing in murphy’s law with these not so mainstream devices(not unllike rc helis), i’ll probably have moechanical failures on all of them, i do on everything i buy. not my fault. i’ll probably decide a safe speed without gear, or maybe not. i guess u could practice cut offs by lifting the handle of the ninebot at slow speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gustesta said:

I have a question.  I can't register my mten on the ios gotway app.  It says my phone number is not from mainland China.  Any ideas?

I use the non-social Gotway app to configure my wheels, and lately I only use the WheelLog app since it can now control the wheel too. Sorry, but I can't help with the social app since I've never used it (except once, and then I uninstalled it :))

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

@Bambino i agree. the video’s of your passion of getting outside and learning new things on your euc, just for fun, does a lot to promote this activity and euc’s which should help all of us. i have a question, and i realize you have been doing this for awhile and have had some unintentional dismounts. you are very good about wearing protective gear in most of your videos and i applaud you for that. it’s a pita but the smart thing to do. i hate protective gear, i don’t even like clothes, but, when i rode street motorcycles, i always wore a helmet, gloves boots, jacket and jeans, except when i’d cruise gulf blvd by the beach or daytona a1a, take off the helmet, just to feel open air and let my face breathe, arai full face helmets fitted correctly are like a girdle. so, it’s finally getting a little less like hades here at the ranch, so i’m gearing up to start my training (still gotta clear the road, grass is too thick in the pasture, thank God) keeping in mind how much i hate wearing anything, looking back and looking forward, at what skill level, experience, speed, euc, do you decide to suit up or not? i get beat up daily here at the ranch. i’m literally camping out in a cargo container, so i’m pretty tough but i don’t want to knock out some teeth or something. like at what speed is safe in your mind for a beginner with no protective gear on grass and on pavement? it’s confusing tosomebody on the outside looking in, u see promos with protective gear, u see promos with, u see forum videos with and then see videos without, and like u, u see u with and without. hard to figure out. ur not old enough but i remember skateboards intro. the doctors really started to rake it in after that. not to hijack ur mten thread, and i love it but i don’t like that it doesn’t cutoff immediately on tilt.

Thank you. I'm trying to show my passion for riding by making these little videos. I hope it's not a waste of time :confused1:

Whenever I take my wheels for a dedicated ride I gear up. When I take a slower ride to the store I usually don't. I'm taking a risk I know. And with the Mten3 I'm not riding it very fast most of the time, so I haven't been gearing up when riding it. I'm probably being stupid, and maybe I'll change. Two days ago I took the ACM for a 30 mile ride and was fully geared up.

I'm actually getting closer to getting more gear so that I can look cool like @YoshiSkySun :)  So I'm still a very big advocate for wearing protective gear. But life's activities have risks and the bottom line is that I won't wear it 100 percent of the time due to circumstances of the day. Hopefully I won't regret it :cry2:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@novazeus

The protection gear question...

From my view and mz experience that has nothing to do with speed and “how good you drive”.

Mostly people start with more or less none protection gear (my view). The more experienced they get, the more wheels they drive, they put up more gear. Reason is just, that you realize over the time, that in the end, driving an EUC is not so undangerous hobby!I bet most of the people dont put it up, because they fear of there “own” faults!

It are scenarios, that you dont exspect, hidden bumps, or people coming in your way...and for the most: Failure of the wheel! You have to realize, that (beside tire not rated correct ;-) ) if ANYTHING in your wheel fails, you will go and have a massive faceplant. Can be ONE battery cell, one conductor, one chip, one mosfet, one wire...and the machine will so FAST dip over, that you can not run this out or react to it. So having protective gear is a very good idea...at all speeds. I also bet, this statement will get up some young dudes that insist on rolling over, as they have fighting, snowboard or whatever experience and/or they dont drive faster than they can run.......ok, they haven’t experienced a real cutout yet and are overestimating their abilities.

When you look at the 230 people meetup in France last weekend...most of them wear protective gear...not because they have to or their group ride at 10-12kmh is so fricking fast. They just know better from long time experience and bad stories that happend. I personallz have had 3 major falls, one while learning, one while overestimating my and the wheels abilities, one hardware fault cutout.

2nd and 3rd summed up to 4-5 broken ripps...and without protective gear i would doubt to write this here at all. Especially the 3rd fall was scary...it was on a struggling wheel, where i know that something might happen NOW, as the wheel had trouble moving up the hill, but even with this knowing, i wasnt able to prevent the fall that happend after the cutout...and it was just at 12-15kmh?!!

So my answer is: Protection is a must....if you like your health. I would guess @Marty Backe goes with this?

(i should save and copy this to some notices, cant remember how often i have written about it ;-) )

I agree fully with @KingSong69.  He's putting the fear of God in me as I read this. Now I'm afraid to get on my Mten3 without looking like Ironman ;)

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i can see offering that advice to a friend, “grasshopper, to know what protective gear to wear, u must first learn to ride euc”. this ain’t kung fu. my little gfs might not seem the brightest at times, but they won’t fall for that.

i know what i’m gonna do. did u see how i padded my wheels? i’ve got 150 animals that depend on me. i have no sick days. that’s why i haven’t begun my training yet. too hot for protective gear, here. plus, being a contractor and believing in murphy’s law with these not so mainstream devices(not unllike rc helis), i’ll probably have moechanical failures on all of them, i do on everything i buy. not my fault. i’ll probably decide a safe speed without gear, or maybe not. i guess u could practice cut offs by lifting the handle of the ninebot at slow speed.

There are many excuses not to learn to ride, endless excuses, all essentially paralyzing you from getting on the EUC. Fear is not a bad thing; if your gut feeling is telling you something is wrong then it's highly likely something is wrong and you can either handle it in a safe manner or not do it. EUC's are dangerous and require a minimal fitness and agility level.

Personally, it took me a short time to get moving but it felt sketchy as hell. Ultimately one must stop talking and do <the action>.

• Like 2

Always good for a joke! :-)

Just for others: The failures i described are really, really seldom and statistically wont happen to you....it is just, ...once you know they CAN happen...you have them on your mind and want to protect for this failures....

In real life...even my GW V3 has never let me down ;-)

Edited by KingSong69
  • Like 3