Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

22 minutes ago, radial said:

Yep, I bet that eBay tube would work.  My experience with bike tubes is that you can run tubes that are slightly smaller than rx no problem.  

Interesting.

Even one almost an 1‘’ narrower?

14 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Interesting.

Even one almost an 1‘’ narrower?

Tubes tend to expand to fill the available space, within reason.  I'm not sure whether the delta in this case is reasonable, but if using a 2.125" tube was the only option, I would give it a try. 

Personally, I'm going to try a 2.5" tube and I'll report back here on whether it works.  If not, I'll look into converting the wheel to a tubeless configuration.  I wouldn't expect to see any particular performance improvements from going tubeless.  But fussing around with oddly sized and configured tubes isn't how I want to spend my time.  This is supposed to be fun, not a second job!  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I patched mine, it certainly was a pain getting the tire back on the rim. Definitely soak in hot water to loosen the rubber, and use soap on the rubber bead.

The stock tube was a 10x2”, so yes a 2.125 would even be better.

37EC86EA-B2AA-42ED-8FCE-C536674532BE.png

Fantastic info:thumbup: I was thinking that the tube might have some good info on it, but I obviously wasn't too keen on opening mine up.

9 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I patched mine, it certainly was a pain getting the tire back on the rim. Definitely soak in hot water to loosen the rubber, and use soap on the rubber bead.

The stock tube was a 10x2”, so yes a 2.125 would even be better.

37EC86EA-B2AA-42ED-8FCE-C536674532BE.png

BTW, what did you find on your tube? If I remember correctly you said that it didn't seem like a puncture wound but more like a failure near the valve.

Was it a puncture or a defect in the tube?

I originally thought it was the valve, however it was a pucture on the side. The slime originally didn’t seal the hole until I played with it outside the tire. I put a nice patch over it and so far it’s held up to nyc streets. Another tip is to take it out of both shells, keeping the wire still attached to the mother board. Marty your “b&d workmate” idea, was a huge help..  bought one after your video. Thanks !

12DB8089-31AA-4DF1-A16C-9AAEA0427359.jpeg

Edited by Mrd777
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mrd777 said:

I originally thought it was the valve, however it was a pucture on the side. The slime originally didn’t seal the hole until I played with it outside the tire. I put a nice patch over it and so far it’s held up to nyc streets. Another tip is to take it out of both shells, keeping the wire still attached to the mother board. Marty your “b&d workmate” idea, was a huge help..  bought one after your video. Thanks !

12DB8089-31AA-4DF1-A16C-9AAEA0427359.jpeg

Thanks for the update. That's a puncture high on the side. The streets of NYC must be brutal ;)

Yeah, I now use the Workmate to hold all of my wheels. Glad you found the idea useful. The Workmate comes in handy for lots of other stuff too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You still haven't bought one :confused1:

Great video Marty!  I can't wait till mine arrives.  I'd love to see you video the same routine with your monster just for fun?

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Great video Marty!  I can't wait till mine arrives.  I'd love to see you video the same routine with your monster just for fun?

I'd probably crash through my garage door during the first attempt of a quick reversal :cry2:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Does anyone have any experience with the new stock tubeless MTen3 tires? Gotway held back shipping our order for a couple days in order to replace the tubed with tubeless tyre types.

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjRE93TFM3c

This is the MTen3 tire fitting station. 

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjVXVmWDc3N

We did the good old jumping-on-half-the-shell-to-see-if-it-will-break-test. Video link below:  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwUYxvibxkCWCSfT2

uc?export=view&id=0B-WCZQc2gfJjUkk2eTF2d

I was hoping that it survived the jump test, but no :(

Should be interesting to hear how the tubeless Mten3's run. I wonder what they changed exactly. I know that my tire is already a tubeless type. Maybe it's just the valve  that needs to be changed.

Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of each tire type?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Does anyone have any experience with the new stock tubeless MTen3 tires? Gotway held back shipping our order for a couple days in order to replace the tubed with tubeless tyre types.

Looks identical to the 70/65-6.5, 10"x3"-6.5 tubeless designated tire that shipped with my MTen3.

If I'm not mistaken, Gotway just inserted a traditional inner tube in place of a tubeless valve stem. I believe cyclists carry an extra inner tube in case of leakage in their tubeless tires.... guess Gotway delayed shipment to switch the process to inserting valve stems now?

35 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

This is the MTen3 tire fitting station. 

Nice!~

In my current experience testing out the 2 available alternative 10" tire options, re-tiring the MTen3 is alot easier leveraging the assembly on the ground, using a foot to hold your place stretching the bead back on the rim.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 2

Jason since you are at Gotway,  inquire what gets the next upgrade ? monster v2?.  You are on a reconnaissance mission to post what’s next and new. THANKS !

We’re counting on you ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I was hoping that it survived the jump test, but no :(

Should be interesting to hear how the tubeless Mten3's run. I wonder what they changed exactly. I know that my tire is already a tubeless type. Maybe it's just the valve  that needs to be changed.

Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of each tire type?

The only advantage I know for sure is that a tubeless tire can be easily plugged without taking the tire off.  On a small tire like a bicycle or EUC it might not be possible.

https://www.grandpitstop.com/blogs/news/56193156-8-benefits-of-tubeless-tires

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steve454 said:

The only advantage I know for sure is that a tubeless tire can be easily plugged without taking the tire off.  On a small tire like a bicycle or EUC it might not be possible.

https://www.grandpitstop.com/blogs/news/56193156-8-benefits-of-tubeless-tires

Great link. Thanks. Now we need to find a corresponding link that expresses the cons to a tubeless tire because those 8 listed pros almost seem to good.

• Upvote 1

Tubeless tires are thicker?

8 minutes ago, EUCMania said:

I read some bike forum where people riding mountain bikles  discussed going from tube to tubeless tires. Frequently, those used tubeless say they never looked back after going tubeless. They say tubeless tires offer better traction, allows lower tire pressure which allows them to handle bumps better, giving smoother ride. IOt is also less likely to get a puncture.

I think that the lower tire pressure, which  can make the ride less bumpy, is important to EUC riders' safety, because one major reason for riders to fall is unexpected bumps.  

Pinch flats I do hate.  Never had one, because I don't let the tire get too low.

• Like 1

Main cons for tubeless I gathered from multiple sources is:

1. More difficult de-tiring / re-tiring (true, esp. the MTen3, the hardest I've faced)
  2. More expensive (this for the most part does not apply for most EUC diameter wheels)

... so really, just the one.

• Like 3