Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe a small, rectangular piece of Moleskin padding under the handle might make it more comfortable.   I'm not sure if the adhesive works for long term though.

https://www.drscholls.com/products/corns-calluses-blisters-bunions/moleskin-padding-roll/

Or maybe some Neoprene adhesive strip?

https://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Rubber-adhesive-strip-thick/dp/B00EE9LKRA

I'm sure something like this will help, but isn't it sad that they couldn't have designed a comfortable handle? It really makes you shake your head. The MSuper is just as bad, yet they created a comfortable handle for the ACM which came before the others. Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Are there EUCs which are scary riding at 25 kph? :efef2e0fff:

What I meant was for a small-wheeled EUC to go at that kind of speed, it can be as thrilling as riding the ACM84V at 50 kph.

Bet riding the MTen3 at 30 kph can feel similarly thrilling as riding an ACM at 40-45 kph, right?

So I'd like to know if there're quality tiny-wheeled EUCs which feel "scary-fast" at a mere 25 kph. Got to be under 10" right? :efee78d764:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe How is your ankle padding holding up on the Mten3? I've been practicing alot and destroyed mine. 

23575220138_8f9657b405_b.jpg

I covered the existing foam with black leather last week. It was a bear to sew through that much thickness but it worked. I do have some 3/8"high density black foam coming Monday to try out . 

36717589414_22fe3b0091_b.jpg

Yes, my ankle padding is falling apart too. Maybe not as bad as yours (yet). Looks like they used a poor choice in materials (it's too soft). I think mine was starting to tear up within a week or so. I'm wondering if they are actually needed? When mine get bad enough I'll just remove them and see if I notice their absence. Before you fixed yours (nice BTW) did you try the wheel without any padding?

The top padding is holding up fine for me - you too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Yep...I have resorted to using the ugly safety strap until I can perform the moves without dumping the wheel. Almost there. Just finding the time to practice has become a rare commodity these days. 

Nice :thumbup:

Are you enjoying the wheel overall? Particularly for stuff like what you're doing here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, my ankle padding is falling apart too. Maybe not as bad as yours (yet). Looks like they used a poor choice in materials (it's too soft). I think mine was starting to tear up within a week or so. I'm wondering if they are actually needed? When mine get bad enough I'll just remove them and see if I notice their absence. Before you fixed yours (nice BTW) did you try the wheel without any padding?

The top padding is holding up fine for me - you too?

I should have taken a picture beneath the padding. It is covering up the pedal hanger screws and magnet. Not pretty.  You would want something covering this area. The padding actually has a recessed area for the magnet or the padding would lump out in that region. No I did not try riding w/o the pads.

Nice :thumbup:

Are you enjoying the wheel overall? Particularly for stuff like what you're doing here?

Thanks. No time to add music. Just a quick shot.

The wheel is awesome. I can perform single reverse turns all day long but adding the second one in the other direction proved difficult. I hated when it flopped around when I missed a reversed turn so the belt helps me catch it. I may add a silicone cover this week. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I should have taken a picture beneath the padding. It is covering up the pedal hanger screws and magnet. Not pretty.  You would want something covering this area. The padding actually has a recessed area for the magnet or the padding would lump out in that region. No I did not try riding w/o the pads.

Thanks. No time to add music. Just a quick shot.

The wheel is awesome. I can perform single reverse turns all day long but adding the second one in the other direction proved difficult. I hated when it flopped around when I missed a reversed turn so the belt helps me catch it. I may add a silicone cover this week. 

Good to know what's underneath the padding. When the time comes I'll fabricate a new cover. So far I think I've dropped the Mten3 less than a handful of times (on pavement) so I'm OK riding sans belt :)

I don't think I've done full figure eights - you've given me my next goal :thumbup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Good to know what's underneath the padding. When the time comes I'll fabricate a new cover. So far I think I've dropped the Mten3 less than a handful of times (on pavement) so I'm OK riding sans belt :)

I have a large sheet of 3/8" padding arriving. I could send you a piece large enough to create 2 new covers. Much more durable than the existing padding.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have a large sheet of 3/8" padding arriving. I could send you a piece large enough to create 2 new covers. Much more durable than the existing padding.

Hey, thanks much for the offer. I really appreciate it :)

But first I want to experiment by fabricating some very nice wooden covers with maybe a small padded insert sized to fit exactly where it's needed with my feet. All this after mine finally give up the ghost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Yep...I have resorted to using the ugly safety strap until I can perform the moves without dumping the wheel. Almost there. Just finding the time to practice has become a rare commodity these days. 

Come on! That looks great!!! Almost there? Thats a real understatement:-)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gustesta said:

What is the best PSI for Mten's tire?  I'm 210 pounds, 6.2.  Mostly pavement rides.

Most of the people are complaining about its tire.

Mine is in the low 30's. I started at 45psi but didn't like how that felt.

I would start at 45 and slowly let out the air until you find what's comfortable for you. It's very personal.

The only complaint that I have with the tire is the lack of tread. But that's because I first thought that I'd take this into the mountains. For city riding I think it's fine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

Mine is in the low 30's. I started at 45psi but didn't like how that felt.

I would start at 45 and slowly let out the air until you find what's comfortable for you. It's very personal.

The only complaint that I have with the tire is the lack of tread. But that's because I first thought that I'd take this into the mountains. For city riding I think it's fine.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

Come on! That looks great!!! Almost there? Thats a real understatement:-)

Thanks! I did not show the major blooper at 2:45. That is why I said I'm almost there.:)

Mten3 sure likes to flop around after getting dumped!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks! I did not show the major blooper at 2:45. That is why I said I'm almost there.:)

You're holding out on us @Rehab1 ;) I like this video better. Nice to see you enjoying the wheel. Doing backwards 360's are fun aren't they?

You really got that spinning that time. I almost think it was worst somehow because it wrapped around your leg because of the strap. ???

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2017 at 9:38 AM, Marty Backe said:

A year ago this ride would have been much more nerve racking on my part. Now I have zero trepidation about riding in any kind of crowd. And the Mten3 makes it really effortless.

Here the Mten3 is less impressive and noisy than most wheels, making it more friendly to other people. But it is more vulnerable to the irregularities of the floor. Paris "beach" is really nice to do but you need to be careful because of the small diameter of the wheel.

(video designed for smartphone)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

:blink:   Can you reshoot that video holding a white cane in one hand tapping it on the ground and a beer in the other?  Do you have a pair of really dark black sunglasses?  I just though of the peeeerfect Halloween costume for you!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink:   Can you reshoot that video holding a white cane in one hand tapping it on the ground and a beer in the other?  Do you have a pair of really dark black sunglasses?  I just though of the peeeerfect Halloween costume for you!

Are you suggesting I am old?:) 

So are any members planning on dressing up for Halloween? I still have the half deflated horse costume from last year. I need something new this year. I did find one for you buddy!:)

37409159862_7eb6583b87_b.jpg

• Like 2

You're holding out on is @Rehab1 ;) I like this video better. Nice to see you enjoying the wheel. Doing backwards 360's are fun aren't they?

You really got that spinning that time. I almost think it was worst somehow because it wrapped around your leg because of the strap. ???

Lots of fun! :) The darn strap did get wrapped around my leg that time  but without it Mten flails about even more on the ground if I can't catch it in time.

• Like 1

P

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Are you suggesting I am old?:) 

No, but wouldn't a blind drunk guy riding a small wheel doing backwards and forwards figure eights be funny?  :laughbounce2:  Oooor maybe not.  I think I've been watching too many episodes of "Just for laughs: Gags."

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Folding-Walking-Blind-Marshmallow/dp/B00CFBKFIE