Mten3 First Impressions / Review - BUY ONE NOW!!!

Marty Backe

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

A bird's eye view from my Mten 3.

@Rehab1 is maybe the first member to succeed at making everyone on the forum dizzy and nauseous :barf:

• Like 1

I have a few questions related to the Mten3.

If you lay it on its side while on, will it free wheel?

If you lay it on its side while on, will it stay on without an alarm sounding?

If you tip it back-up from lying on its side can you step on and ride away? If so, is their any delay before you can ride away?

Can the 10x3 wheel handle a ride through golf course quality turf?

1 hour ago, Psices said:

I have a few questions related to the Mten3.

If you lay it on its side while on, will it free wheel?

No

If you lay it on its side while on, will it stay on without an alarm sounding?

No. The alarm will beep four times and then stop

If you tip it back-up from lying on its side can you step on and ride away? If so, is their any delay before you can ride away?

Yes. Takes a few seconds before it starts balancing.

Can the 10x3 wheel handle a ride through golf course quality turf?

Yes - does this video answer tour turf question:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I would like to know more about the 4 beeps when lying it on its side.

How loud are the beeps? How long do they go? Can the beeps be turned off? and could they be muffled?

Could you show me an example?

Thanks,

13 minutes ago, Psices said:

I would like to know more about the 4 beeps when lying it on its side.

How loud are the beeps? How long do they go? Can the beeps be turned off? and could they be muffled?

Could you show me an example?

Thanks,

I'm a little perplexed on your interest in this :confused1:

Pretty much every Gotway and KingSong (and others?) use a piezoelectric buzzer to create the beep sound. If you have viewed more than a couple of videos surely you've heard it. If not, watch more videos <_<

Four beeps, one per second.

No, they can't be disabled unless you want to open the wheel and disconnect the wires going to the buzzer.

I'm sure they could be muffled like any electronic device can be muffled. How would be up to you. 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm a little perplexed on your interest in this :confused1:

Marty,

Please allow me to detail my interest. I am an avid golfer who generally walks while hunting for my golf ball. Last January I came across a video of a guy using a "mini-pro" while playing golf and instantly thought "this could be the better way":thumbup:. My research then led me to Electric Unicycles and Jason McNeil. I now own four (Thank you Jason) wheels. I currently use my 16S for on-course transportation. Allow me to explain.

After paying for golf (cart included, I usually put my bag in the cart) and getting the approval from the Golf Course staff (Pro or Course Superintendent) I mount up and join the guys on the first tee. I'm careful not to do any damage to the course and usually stick to the cart paths where present. I wheel up to my golf ball, step my right foot off and allow the wheel to land gently on its right side using my left foot for control while lowering it to the ground. After playing my shot I reverse my actions. I stand next to the wheel (r side) and place my left foot on the upright left pedal and tip it up, push off and away I go. My 16S works quite well as-it-is quiet and balances quickly. It also has a slightly loose right pedal that drops down partially when stood upright allowing me put my foot on the right pedal and ride away quickly).

After pouring over your review and videos I had concluded that Mten3 could be a viable light weight replacement that would be gentler to the course with its 3" inch wheel and therefor asked Jason to reserve one for me. However after recently receiving my last purchase, the I5, I now realize not all wheels are silent when laid on their side, and like the I5 may need to be restarted before continuing.  Now you know my story and the reason for questions.

If you could give me your impression (maybe a video) if the 3 would fill the role I would appreciate it very much.

Sorry about the length, I usually go for simple and concise.

Thanks for your patience and your quick responses.

Patrick

Edited by Psices
  • Upvote 2

On 10/28/2017 at 10:50 PM, Marty Backe said:

Does anyone know the advantages and disadvantages of each tire type?

As I believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, a tubeless tire without an additional tube :) might be difficult or impossible to pump manually without a compressor. Otherwise, I am all for going tubeless...

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mono said:

As I believe it hasn't been mentioned yet, a tubeless tire without an additional tube :) might be difficult or impossible to pump manually without a compressor.

Can you elaborate? I've never heard this before and am trying to think why this may be the case. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think you will like the Mten3 for this particular use case. Gotway is probably the worst mainstream EUC manufacturer when it comes to disabling the wheel rotation during a fall. KingSong may be the King in this department :)

As this video (which I just made for you) demonstrates, sometimes the wheel will spin up as the wheel is laid on its side.

I would turn it off first when laying it down and then turn it on when ready to ride. The on/off cycle is very fast and certainly less noisy than the multiple beeps as demonstrated here.

Marty,

Thanks for the video and impressions. :)

Respectfully,

Patrick

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Asked Ian (Speedyfeet) about the mten3 (and Tesla) for us Euros.

Here's the answer:

So mid-December, ready for Christmas:efee8319ab:

Interesting how he and Jason go only for the biggest batteries.

You placed your order, right :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Psices said:

My curiosity has got the best of me. What is the purpose of a warning/alarm when a wheel is on its side?:confused1:

"Hey asshole, stop doing this!"

Since I don't know a real answer, and all wheels seem to be doing that, I suspect it's some feature of the standard hardware the manufacturers all use, so they just went along with it.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

You placed your order, right :)

No. Not yet available. Thank God. Hopefully the price will be high so I'm not tempted any longer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Psices  I got the impression it was not a dig at you,  just a joke about the beeping.  

That's pretty slick the way you can pick the wheels up with one foot and take off again so quickly, never having to reach down and pick it up with the hand.

I think you can cut the wire to the beeper if you take the shell apart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2