How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Physicians

I read that you're injured and have pain with mobility impairment. 

"Canada's universal health-care system. If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may apply for public health insurance. With it, you don't have to pay for most health-care services. ... All provinces and territories will provide free emergency medical services, even if you don't have a government health card ...Jul 11, 2017"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/new-life-canada/health-care-card.html&ved=2ahUKEwjy9d2JkYrdAhXFY98KHUCSD7cQFjABegQIARAH&usg=AOvVaw1MRM_k_OCQ33RgPV_LO8pp&cshid=1535266402223

Good luck. I'd reconsider seeing a doctor if your symptoms don't clear up soon. I've read that Canadian health care runs different from the US in terms of costs charged to it's citizens. What do you have to lose? Physicians deal with people on a 'case' level all the time. Evaluation should be both simple to determine and definitive.

• Like 1

Thanks, and yes we do have pretty much free healthcare up here.  I just don't use it very much.  :ph34r:  Not that I'm into the holistic medicine mumbo jumbo.  I just don't normally have any issues.  This arm thing will likely resolve on its own.  I don't know how you and Rehab1 managed with your injuries so well.  Mine are like minor paper cuts in comparison.  Functioning with a single good arm is no fun! 

I don't have a regular family physician, and it's often hard to find a good one accepting patients.  I sometimes will see a random MD at the walk-in clinic, and that's been a bit hit and miss.  I know you guys have it different down there so you're scratching your head over some Canadian who isn't using the free services.  The arm is making good progress on its own so I'll give it another week.  The pain is annoying but tolerable.  :efeed51798:

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I need a healyouician.

Again sorry for your pain! I had to do a double take on healyouician :confused1:. A first I thought it read hallucinogen. :efefc8626c:

I know your dealing with ‘should I or shouldn’t I’ ride again. Only you fully understand your lifestyle and the ramifications on how a significant injury would affect your livelihood. That thought crosses my head daily. 

As far as pain performing simple tasks is concerned, it is surprising how we adapt. The one thing that helps me stay relatively sane is a quote from the old comedian Art Linkletter: “If you wake up in the morning and feel no pain... your dead”.

Be well buddy!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Again sorry for your pain! I had to do a double take on healyouician :confused1:. A first I thought it read hallucinogen. :efefc8626c:

I know your dealing with ‘should I or shouldn’t I’ ride again. Only you fully understand your lifestyle and the ramifications on how a significant injury would affect your livelihood. That thought crosses my head daily. 

As far as pain performing simple tasks is concerned, it is surprising how we adapt. The one thing that helps me stay relatively sane is a quote from the old comedian Art Linkletter: “If you wake up in the morning and feel no pain... your dead”.

Be well buddy!

Just to bring your attention to it. read my reviw of the KS18L. @Hunka Hunka Burning Love and @Rehab1 you both had accidents resently. But here you see how I my thoughts are and why and how I do not to get into a major incident again...maybe. And of course I gear up. But part of gearing up is also getting into mind or focus, what I am about to do involves risk, that I am prapaded for so I try to manage the risk as good as possible. It also means I shift ridestyle, I don't expect others in trafic look out for me, I have to do that, so I ride more conservertive if you like. But....I still have fun while doing it. 

My 2 cents;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

A first I thought it read hallucinogen

I wonder if the hallucinogen would confuse the pain signals since the hallucinogens flood the neuro receptors with tons of messages all at once. I wonder what colors or patterns pain would create. 

Just because a Nation has free healthcare, doesnt mean they will use it. The UK has free Dental, but just take a look at Tony Blair’s grille and you would think he was a Civil war re enacter from West Virginia.

My 2 cents

another penny- The new pillow I got gave me a crick in my neck, so I got some Pot candy since it was only a little more expensivve and much more friendly to my head and liver than Aleve or Ibuprofen. Totally solved my problem in my sleep. I am returning the pillows to pay for the candy. Ha!

Edited by Stan Onymous
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanks, and yes we do have pretty much free healthcare up here.  I just don't use it very much.  :ph34r:  Not that I'm into the holistic medicine mumbo jumbo.  I just don't normally have any issues.  This arm thing will likely resolve on its own.  I don't know how you and Rehab1 managed with your injuries so well.  Mine are like minor paper cuts in comparison.  Functioning with a single good arm is no fun! 

I don't have a regular family physician, and it's often hard to find a good one accepting patients.  I sometimes will see a random MD at the walk-in clinic, and that's been bit and miss.  I know you guys have it different down there so you're scratching your head over some Canadian who isn't using the free services.  The arm is making good progress on its own so I'll give it another week.  The pain is annoying but tolerable.  :efeed51798:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19634029

• Like 3

On 8/26/2018 at 11:22 AM, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I sometimes will see a random MD at the walk-in clinic, and that's been a bit hit and miss.  I know you guys have it different down there so you're scratching your head over some Canadian who isn't using the free services.

Looks like exactly how it should be used: not if it's not needed. My hunch is that for a generally healthy person with little medical history the random MD is about as good as, or even better than, the family doctor.

• Like 1

How badly was I hurt? Not at all.

Took the 16S out for a spin yesterday evening to prevent cabin fever.  Battery hasn't been charged in a while but there were a lot of green LEDs on the side so I figured "good enough".Went for a cruise along the local sea front, then decided to tackle the local Hills/cliffs (Beachy Head to be exact).  Aware of the steepness and length of the climb, I checked the % of charge and was alarmed to see 35% (as low as I've ever seen it).  Kept Darknessbot open while I started the climb.  Power output was fluctuating between 700W and 1300W. Temp was low.  All was well for about 300 to 400 feet, then suddenly, without warning I was flung to the ground.  When I got up (no injuries, pads, grass, low speed) I noticed that two red LEDs were lit on each strip, the top one and one two lights down (anyone know what this means?).  I was wearing headphones at the time, but I think I would have heard something.  All I felt through the pedals was two quick vibrations about 1/10th of a second apart, then it fell forward.  Recycling the power switch resumed normal service, but I declined climbing any more, for obvious reasons ( I was heading towards the top of cliffs, famous for 100% successful suicide jumpers).  I put it down to one voltage sag too far, although I did not notice any irregularity in the riding surface that would have caused it.  Sorry, the power output was fluctuating so wildly, that I didn't see what it was at the moment of shutdown.

EDIT JAN 2019 I now know what happened.  the wheel hit a small bump.  The bump shook the wheel.  The wheel shook the 5 wires from the Hall sensor as they enter the control board.  One or more of those wires had developed a break that manifests itself when the wire is moved, as in when it is shaken.  As soon as the control board gets a bad signal from the Hall sensor it instantly shuts down the motor, beeps repeatedly and displays the four red lights on the LED strips.  Since the wiring has been fixed by my retailer in Poland, the problem has gone away

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

Oh,no!  Pedal

Curb dropping .... Avoid in the future!

And that heavy mallet I used to tap out the pedal bolt recently....WD40 would have been worth a short walk to the automotive supply.

Thought I hit a rut I didn't see in the road .... but the EUC was missing the pedal when I picked it up from the street.

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Curb dropping .... Avoid in the future!

And that heavy mallet I used to tap out the pedal bolt recently....WD40 would have been worth a short walk to the automotive supply.

Thought I hit a rut I didn't see in the road .... but the EUC was missing the pedal when I picked it up from the street.

Well, you can get a new pedal fairly inexpensively.  

At least you still have a backup wheel.

• Like 1

This is worrying, the one I saw in the forums some weeks ago so it happens, but then some said it is not the an isolated incident only or something to that effect, point was clear as a day to me but again like always my English could create a misunderstanding sure..

But here we go again, I don't want it to happen period! Well outside of just isolated cases I mean if someone of weight do something silly and apply a lot of extra pressure on a pedal, especially if extra leverage is there standing far out on it while bouncing hard down from a curb not even trying to bend the knees and "follow" so to speak.

EUCGUY, where are you?  :)

Personally I would pay a bit extra just for the peace of mind if someone feel like a business adventure, machine them out a solid block 7xxx series Aluminum and a new high grade locking pin and you have customer, hopefully more than just one.  All you guys who been at this longer and seen more, is the pedal arms safe or them too a weak point?

I am worried enough about the electronics/battery systems, would be nice if one could at least exclude the mechanics of the wheel, I don't do the truly high curbs personally and low/mid curbs I do it smoothly always working to avoid that sudden spike in applied pressure but still makes me worried?

I'd sooner the pedal breaks than the arm it mounts on to. I'd have thought the tyre would absorb most of the shock from dropping down curbs. Maybe it was weakened over time by other hits direct to the pedal enough to cause it to eventually fail under stress. Pedals seem indestructible but I see they are not.

54 minutes ago, Nic said:

I'd sooner the pedal breaks than the arm it mounts on to. I'd have thought the tyre would absorb most of the shock from dropping down curbs. Maybe it was weakened over time by other hits direct to the pedal enough to cause it to eventually fail under stress. Pedals seem indestructible but I see they are not.

Absolutely, metal fatigue is a real known phenomena

1 hour ago, Electroman said:

metal fatigue

The 'break off' seems to have started where the orange arrows are. The pedal is a corrugated metal with coarse metal beehive cross section at the breakage area. Where the pedal bolt fits is convincingly solid. The bonding of the pedal bolt base to the adjacent honeycomb plate has some signs of surface metal corrosion (water). The photo shows some bending where the bonded foot rest sections eventually separated. Maybe it's a hard region to engineer to higher expectations for weight support. The three vertical sections left and right of the remaining bent plate seem to have debonded at some point.

Surely lateral impacts derived from 'walk offs' and slow shutdowns would need to be considered in addition to weight support on the pedal attachment point for a final equation for design.

Gotway Monster - broken foot pedal

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Electroman said:

Personally I would pay a bit extra just for the peace of mind if someone feel like a business adventure, machine them out a solid block 7xxx series Aluminum and a new high grade locking pin and you have customer, hopefully more than just one.  All you guys who been at this longer and seen more, is the pedal arms safe or them too a weak point?

First off I am no expert in stress calculator in materials and constructions.

But a solid block pedals might not be stronger. A crack/break force travels easier through a solid material. I think that is why train rails are made from I-beams. 

46 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

The 'break off' seems to have started where the orange arrows are. The pedal is a corrugated metal with coarse metal beehive cross section at the breakage area. Where the pedal bolt fits is convincingly solid. The bonding of the pedal bolt base to the adjacent honeycomb plate has some signs of surface metal corrosion (water). The photo shows some bending where the bonded foot rest sections eventually separated. Maybe it's a hard region to engineer to higher expectations for weight support. The three vertical sections left and right of the remaining bent plate seem to have debonded at some point.

Surely lateral impacts derived from 'walk offs' and slow shutdowns would need to be considered in addition to weight support on the pedal attachment point for a final equation for design.

Gotway Monster - broken foot pedal

Good points.

I am by no means a designer so take what I say with a grain of salt, I have seen some of our designers calculations and that is not exactly math on my own level so to speak I'm just a basic kind of guy haha. :lol: There's at least good programs available today to help estimate wear.

Could be the start of light surface corrosion of the locking pin but I suspect it should not affect tensile strength too much, probably a good idea to swap them every now and then though or at very least inspect and after a failed ok after inspection swap.

The pedal design puzzle me, why be so conservative on the material when you know you are not using a higher tensile alloy, you can see it's soft enough to bend slightly but the breakage is worrying, so again casting will never be a good as machining form a decent quality alloy matched for this. Also why not strengthen it more around solid fixing point/attachment for the locking pin and gradually start to hollow out for weight and cost savings? White I do not have the number system for this very Alu I know it is considered dirty by us westerners and very cheap in China, hence no reason to not thicken up the walls a bit cause just a single mm will not do much for overall weight. The savings by not doing it must be in the cents department so hard to understand for me unless I am missing something, there is so much access to this in China, they pump out more than any other nation on this earth + the earth itself have got a crust that consist of 8% Alu so yeah??? The design could be better I am sure, but designing well can be costly and time consuming, adding thickness would cost next to nothing and the easy, cheep way to go, out safety on the line and hence the company name so indeed I am puzzled?

I'm too cheap for destroying my own pedals but it would be interesting to destroy a few of them, hook up to a test machine at work and record the numbers, heck even high frame video recording just for the kicks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Were you able to run it out?

Unfortunately I body slammed in a street... sprained wrist....maybe a bruised rib. Two blocks from a Commuter rail stop and an Uber ride. Kinda tired. A woman's intuition may have predicted the event in that a block from the street site, on the day before, while riding a curve in the road past her she started shouting 'oh no..oh no..oh no..oh no' to whoever she was with.

• Like 2

Aw man.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  After you broke your arm IIRC last time, I'm surprised you jumped back on the wheel so quickly.  I've got too many things on the go to be sidelined so my love affair with the wheel is on hold for the moment.  Considering rider weights and the amount of stress these wheels go through, they could be engineered just a little more durably.  Why not use a stronger metal alloy like what they make mountain bike pedals out of?  These should never break.

Regular unicycle pedal designs are different, but they take prodigious amounts of abuse without breaking, including huge drops, hopping onto objects with the pedals themselves and grinding them over metal railings and such, and constant slamming around rough rocky trails.  It doesn't seem inevitable that other pedals would have to be weaker.

• Like 1

On the day before the street crash I was in my way to shoot a level drone camera flight out and back from a big rock at the waters edge or actually a bit over water (forbidden by manufacturer). The drone maintained level flight except for the first 50 feet where it dropped about 15 feet. The return level path flew the preprogrammed drone flight onto a ledge below me rather than to my altitude (as expected) and it sputtered mostly unharmed to a stop. I've since learned how to stop the preprogrammed flight to a hover and take over manually.

I was heading back to the same spot on crash day to try a similar flight in the opposite direction, totally over rocks, to see if the water was the culprit in the altitude loss. Maybe another day for the second drone video.

Before the crash I was vasilating between buying a nicer drone or a motor scooter. Now I can't quite entertain squeezing the brakes on a scooter. Without the Monster getting to the store to buy a drone is impractical.

It was a good day for watching a senators funeral in the National Cathedral on TV .

14 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

wish you a speedy recovery

Thanks....it's not too serious.

• Like 2