How bad were you hurt?

How bad were you hurt?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Select the highest level of injury you've sustained as a result of an EUC-related accident

• Completely unscathed
    • Light cuts and bruises only. Nothing that wouldn't heal in a few weeks, and nothing that impedes mobility/range-of-motion. No noticeable impact to quality of life.
    • Minor injury such as a sprain, minor break, or deeper cuts. Takes more than a month to heal and/or impedes mobility/range-of-motion. Quality of life has been noticeably impacted/diminished but not seriously so.
    • Major injury such as concussion or serious fracture or punctured organs or something similarly alarming. Injury was possibly life threatening and required immediate medical attention. Takes several months to heal and with major impact to quality of life but recoverable to relatively normal activity afterward.
    • Major injury which resulted in permanent impairment such as loss of limb, brain damage, loss of vision, etc. No possibility of return to normal activity.
  2. 2. In what way have your habits changed in wearing protective gear since the acccident you've selected above?

• My habits haven't changed. I wear the same gear as I did before my accident.
    • I wear more/better protective gear.
    • I wear less protective gear.

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just had a wipe-out, second day on the 18L—it's the third 18L in existence (one of the prototypes)—with the power on during shipping incident & swapping out the board.

Circumstances: I was bombing along at max speed 40kph, an unmarked speed bump maliciously popped out of in front of me. Had 2 seconds of air time, classic hands-in-front to save myself posture, wrist-guards saved my bacon, very minor knee scrape, otherwise pretty good shape. 

I know it's a debatable topic, but I'm so glad we've been shipping wrist-guards with all the Wheels, knowing that at least one part of your anatomy is impervious to danger & can take the brunt of the impact, can really make a difference in outcomes.  

Just to get it right....you had an wipe out...NO cutout, or?

Sounds like you have run into an speed bump and have an take off, or?

48 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Circumstances: I was bombing along at max speed 40kph, an unmarked speed bump maliciously popped out of in front of me. Had 2 seconds of air time, classic hands-in-front to save myself posture, wrist-guards saved my bacon, very minor knee scrape, otherwise pretty good shape. 

I am happy that testing (riding) these products is apart of your duty as a business owner. But I can't imagine how much this world would miss you if you didn't make it. Good luck on recovery Jason. And rest easy knowing that you are irreplaceable in our lives.

Edited by Esper
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just had a wipe-out, second day on the 18L—it's the third 18L in existence (one of the prototypes)—with the power on during shipping incident & swapping out the board.

I know it's a debatable topic, but I'm so glad we've been shipping wrist-guards with all the Wheels, knowing that at least one part of your anatomy is impervious to danger & can take the brunt of the impact, can really make a difference in outcomes.  

Glad they saved you and cannot believe I used to ride without them in the beginning, still having pains and problems with movements since my left Scaphoid broke and at this point I think I can say it will never feel like before accident again.

I have been falling both forward and backwards since that with the difference that I was wearing wrist guards and amazed how well they actually work + it is so programmed into us to stretch out the hands in a fall like that it just come fully automatically.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Glad to see no more gory photos!   I still have nightmares from seeing those palm photos!  :blink:   Ride safe to ride another day.  A helmet and knee pads are also good ideas.

Toughen up Hunka.   :cry2: It’s the gory photos that helps drive safety awareness into our heads. :eff04a58a6:

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 10:23 PM, Jason McNeil said:

Well done for protecting yourself.

I believe the next big step forward in EUC design is SUSPENSION.  A real honest, no gimmick suspension system that will absorb 90% of typical bumps, and cushion a major part of the bigger ones, so the rider has a fighting start at keeping his feet on the pedals during situations like this.  Many of us have been caught out at some time or other by an unseen oops.  Suspension would help us cope with these better, and make ride the overall ride much better.

Edited by Smoother

My last fall was the second "superman" I get in 3 years. Now in a off-road trail due a pedal hit in a hiden rock. I land with all my body in a soft sand, after the shocking pain from lungs compression I only have some pain due a shoulder luxation.

I wear saketer helmet what didn't touch the ground, gloves, long pants and jacket what save me from lot of scratches.

Was in the path of that video:

https://youtu.be/R0ES-UizU2U?t=6m33s

• Like 1

I had my last fall about a month ago or so. I'd been riding in the woods prior and was on the way home when I found a narrow dirt track alongside the bicycle path, and figured I'd do some more off-roading (I guess I suffered from some hubris from nice riding thus far).. Well the wheel got caught in a hole a little bit in and I got a very quick dive into the ground. I wouldn't say I was going particularly fast, perhaps 15 km/h or so and I rolled with it the best I could. Nonetheless I managed to get a nasty gash in my knee requiring stitches and hit the shoulder hard enough to get a collarbone fracture. I was wearing knee pads for what it's worth, but lighter duty ones (neoprene with thick padding). I must have managed to pull these down during the fall and hit a rock or something after that. Obviously I can't recommend anyone riding with these type of pads and have since replaced them with much sturdier ones.

Also goes to show that speed isn't everything, as I earlier this summer managed to overpower my KS16 without getting any tiltback/warning and took a dive at around 30 km/h. That time I got away with only bruises and scabs though, so going slower isn't necessarily any guarantee that you'll get less injuries from a fall.

As other have already said many times, you can't be too careful with unknown paths.. Even though I did had some gear on (helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, wrist protectors) this kind of thing makes you look harder still at what you can do for better protection. The knee gash in this case could have been prevented with better knee pads (which I've already gotten). Although I think it's hard to avoid the collarbone type of injuries easily (unless you want to go full quarterback) I'm going to buy some lighter MC kevlar gear with shoulder and back protection, etc. for the autumn (not going full robocop either, but aiming for some more casual stuff).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Nils said:

I had my last fall about a month ago or so. I'd been riding in the woods prior and was on the way home when I found a narrow dirt track alongside the bicycle path, and figured I'd do some more off-roading (I guess I suffered from some hubris from nice riding thus far).. Well the wheel got caught in a hole a little bit in and I got a very quick dive into the ground. I wouldn't say I was going particularly fast, perhaps 15 km/h or so and I rolled with it the best I could. Nonetheless I managed to get a nasty gash in my knee requiring stitches and hit the shoulder hard enough to get a collarbone fracture. I was wearing knee pads for what it's worth, but lighter duty ones (neoprene with thick padding). I must have managed to pull these down during the fall and hit a rock or something after that. Obviously I can't recommend anyone riding with these type of pads and have since replaced them with much sturdier ones.

Also goes to show that speed isn't everything, as I earlier this summer managed to overpower my KS16 without getting any tiltback/warning and took a dive at around 30 km/h. That time I got away with only bruises and scabs though, so going slower isn't necessarily any guarantee that you'll get less injuries from a fall.

As other have already said many times, you can't be too careful with unknown paths.. Even though I did had some gear on (helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, wrist protectors) this kind of thing makes you look harder still at what you can do for better protection. The knee gash in this case could have been prevented with better knee pads (which I've already gotten). Although I think it's hard to avoid the collarbone type of injuries easily (unless you want to go full quarterback) I'm going to buy some lighter MC kevlar gear with shoulder and back protection, etc. for the autumn (not going full robocop either, but aiming for some more casual stuff).

As you say speed isn't every thing but is it is not your buddy either once you at the point of were you can't avoid the accident from happening. A minor part is how much time you have to prepare for the accident that is about to happen. The instant faceplant is in my mind the worst as you basically don't have the option to brace for the impact. Now the faster you go the longer time it often takes to get the wheel down in speed especially if you list balance or let's call it control. 

When I had my fist major accident a little time back I though I had all the time in world to regain control. But I didn't and hitting a fist size rock out of balance at near 30 kmh didn't help my rookie skills either. 

Now due to the heat this summer I went for this as I can wear a t-shirt or a jacket on top. I have the POC jacket on as first layer as it makes pads softer and more formable to body. https://www.pocsports.com/eu/spine-vpd-2.0-jacket/20331.html

vpd-2-0-spine-jacket-front.jpg.3f5c170cd4520c2b8db8137741793333.jpg

Now the mesh or fabric it is made of might not handle asphalt scrapes that well but with 28-33 Celsius I deamed a summer mc jacket too hot anyway so this became my choice.

It can be hand washed, but right now I am testing if my M iele washmachines shoe program works....a little riske but you can remove back and chest plates.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

So much for my lucky streak!  I’m an accident injury virgin no longer

hey, u had a good run. i think about everybody out in the wild wooly world of depending on the dept of transportation where they live and the landmines they use to leave for me riding motorcycles. 

they don’t care a flip about ur car, ur safety on a motorcycle and damn sure not a euc. 

personally, knowing what i know about riding a mororcycle around as a car replacement, i’d never ride a euc on public pavement. too many oops by the govt. that’s what got @Rehab1.

the people that commute on them, God bless them.

i think euc’s would be perfect in a traditional neighborhood district with well lit and well maintained multi use paths. florida has a history of that in our retirement places with residents using golf carts.. 

• Like 2

no shit.

my harley road king, basically a fancy cop bike with a bigger motor, was my favorite car replacement motorcycle because it could handle the unexpected better than most bikes. 

one time a landscapers 2x8 ramp was laying in the road straight and by the time i saw it all i could do was ride it. if it had been diagonally on the road, where i was, i probably wouldn’t be here right now. or the plumber whose pvc pipe was falling off one stick at a time on the interstate. 

i did it, ride, but i was in combat mode all the time.i quit while i was ahead.

i really think i have a good chance of maybe having the first recognizable legal multi use paths for euc’s in a live-work-play towncenter scenario. the vp of land acquisition for this canadian reit is a young guy, looks like lower thirtys to me or younger. and i was telling him about my wheels when showing him the property and i could tell he was fascinated. didn’t have time to demostrate. maybe next meeting.

i figure since 60 is the new 20, or so it seems on this forum, i’m hoping to get the baby boomers to replace their retirement golf carts with wheels. 

much safer on the road. st pete clearwater is full of q-tips and ur playing russian roulette being on the roads there.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:crying:  So much for my lucky streak!  I’m an accident injury virgin no longer!  :cry2: After 2000+ km my luck ran out.  I just came home from a fall after crossing a crosswalk and maybe going too fast hitting a sidewalk bump transition.  It happened so fast!  I think the hit may have shaken the gyro too much resulting in a bronco buck oscillation, and I went flying off.  

I landed mostly on my left elbow resulting in some skin graft removal even though my motorcycle jacket elbow pad cushioned the impact.  I think the elbow pad must have slid a little resulting in the abrasion.  Shoulder is a little sore and arm hard to lift.  I also must have hit the wheel somehow as I also have a small bruise on the side of my lower right leg.

Congratulations on loosing your cherry!   :D

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:crying:  So much for my lucky streak!  I’m an accident injury virgin no longer!  :cry2: After 2000+ km my luck ran out.  I just came home from a fall after crossing a crosswalk and maybe going too fast hitting a sidewalk bump transition.  It happened so fast!  I think the hit may have shaken the gyro too much resulting in a bronco buck oscillation, and I went flying off.  

I landed mostly on my left elbow resulting in some skin graft removal even though my motorcycle jacket elbow pad cushioned the impact.  I think the elbow pad must have slid a little resulting in the abrasion.  Shoulder is a little sore and arm hard to lift.  I also must have hit the wheel somehow as I also have a small bruise on the side of my lower right leg.

rim bottom corner popped out

epositioned

Removed some aluminum

Glad you fundamentally OK Hunka :thumbup: So bottom line, it was rider error of some sort - you don't want to lose faith in your wheel.

Don't go all @Rehab1 on us and sell your wheel. Sleep a couple of days before you start selling stuff :)

• Like 3