Gotway charging ritual

The manual makes a point about a specific order of connections when charging a wheel. I have MCM4 HS but I suppose most Gotways should be nearly the same in this regard. The order is:

To charge:

* Connect the three-prong connector to the wheel
    * Plug the charger to the wall socket

After having finished charging:

* Disconnect the three prong from the wheel
    * Unplug the charger from the wall socket

Is this the ritual other Gotway shamans observe? I ask because even though I'm ready to accept this nonsense for the sake of preservation of an expensive piece of equipment, I don't like how too much seems to be dependent on a completely arbitrary order that's very easy to mess up.

What makes me especially worried:

* When I start charging and connect the three-prong connector, there are sparks flying. I'm having a hard time accepting this as normal.
    * Until I plug the charger in the wall, its LED shows up as green. It's not a problem per se, but I think it's an indicator of a bad electric design.

So, should I worry more than usual about this or is this just how those things are?

• Upvote 1

Interesting. The manual that I was able to find says this, verbatim:

STEPS TO FOLLOW TO CHARGE YOUR BATTERY MONOCYCLE:

Caution: Do not handle plug dedicated to the load of the unicycle, battery or battery charger with wet hands or conductive objects.

To load your unicycle:

Place the unicycle in a dry place at room temperature, a solid plan.
To access the dedicated outlet to charge the battery, remove the silicone protection charging interface on the upper side of the hull of the unicycle
The wheel charging should be done only when the machine is off.
Insert the charger connector into the socket provided for this purpose.
Check the correct insertion of the charger plug into the socket of the unicycle by placing the key slot opposite the slot provided.
Next, plug the charger into your 240v electrical outlet.
A red light will appear on the LED on the charger. It will turn green when charging is complete.

It's a funny dialect of English, but I read it as "wheel first, wall last". The finishing part matches in both cases though.

I see, that's enlightening. Thanks everybody for such detailed replies! BTW, did anyone try to reverse engineer the charging circuits? Or would it be too damaging for Gotway's reputation to have them published?

In this case, I interpret my situation as such:

Sparks + Green Led when charger is off equals No Protection Diode (¿¿wtf Gotway??). Therefore, first charger to the wall, next three-prong to the wheel. 

• Upvote 2

If it sparks, you're doing it wrong. Also GW fixed that (I believe) but usually it was - plug into wall first, then plug into wheel to charge; end charging by removing plug from wheel (and possibly disconnecting the charger from the outlet for safety purposes).

There's a speedyfeet video about that, if you can find it (or maybe it was just part of some other video).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 3

The only problem with Speedyfeet videos is that there are too many of them. I think I remember seeing something about this before having bought the wheel, but finding it now doesn't seem possible. Anyway, I think the procedure is established and that's fine. The only thing that I don't agree upon is that "I'm doing it wrong". It's entirely a manufacturer's responsibility to make such essential things foolproof.

• Upvote 1

It's a ridiculous noob mistake by Gotway and they fixed it. "You're doing it wrong" meant there are two ways of doing it (plug into wall first or plug into wheel first) and one of them does not produce sparks, even with the older wheels where sparks can happen.

• 4 weeks later...

If I may make a suggestion (for US owners anyway)...

Hailing from a country that had enough sense to put switches on their wall sockets I found it very hard to accept any kind of sparking while plugging stuff in once I moved to the US. Scared the living daylights out of me. Now on every socket in my apartment I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Energy-Saving-F7C016q/dp/B005MYN3OO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499822994&sr=8-1

A pass-through wall socket with a switch on the side.

Plug into the wheel. Plug into the wall. (or vice-versa) THEN flick the switch. No sparks anywhere. Hooray!

I'm late to the game on this subject, but since nobody has stated this yet, then here goes.

When Gotway introduced their 84 volt series of wheels (ACM, MSuper, and Monster) the issue of avoiding sparks went away. You can connect the charger to the wheel first or connect the charger to the outlet first.

• Upvote 1

On 6/13/2017 at 5:14 PM, thwil said:

Okay :) I thought my wheel is relatively recent, but I guess it's not recent enough.

I can confirm this is normal as an owner of an MCM4 HS myself.  Spark will occur when 3 prong is plugged in prior to plugging into the wall first.  Don't think your wheel is old or outdated.  I have a blast on mine and am going to stick with it for the foreseeable future.

• 3 years later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

I'm late to the game on this subject, but since nobody has stated this yet, then here goes.

When Gotway introduced their 84 volt series of wheels (ACM, MSuper, and Monster) the issue of avoiding sparks went away. You can connect the charger to the wheel first or connect the charger to the outlet first.

Hi Marty, its Mike in Tampa.  Do you know what would cause 1 out of 4 smoked pin on the charging port of a Tesla v2?

13 hours ago, Mike Onewheel said:

Hi Marty, its Mike in Tampa.  Do you know what would cause 1 out of 4 smoked pin on the charging port of a Tesla v2?

Unfortunately, no :(

On 7/11/2017 at 8:38 PM, Marty Backe said:

My 100v Nikola+ purchased in ~Nov of last year still sparks loudly if I plug the charger into the wheel before plugging the charger into the wall, you have to do it the other way around. Never had an InMotion or King Song wheel do it, but my less-than-a-year-old Gotway that I paid $2450 for still does it every single time.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AtlasP said:

My 100v Nikola+ purchased in ~Nov of last year still sparks loudly if I plug the charger into the wheel before plugging the charger into the wall, you have to do it the other way around. Never had an InMotion or King Song wheel do it, but my less-than-a-year-old Gotway that I paid $2450 for still does it every single time.

I agree. Something seems to have changed semi-recently. I too generally always plug the charger into the wall first 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree. Something seems to have changed semi-recently. I too generally always plug the charger into the wall first 

I thought everyone was well aware that plug goes into outlet first - then into wheel. Been like that for me since my nonebot mini plus 2018 and then Tesla 2018.
On my ninebot mini plus with and adaptor - i get sparks when plugging in the charger - not that strange due to adaptor being slightly smaller than std, but its AC voltage and I would rather have sparks there and fry charger, than have sparks and fry the connected wheel if charger fries upon connection.

Never had sparks when plugging connector to wheel after first powering up charger. I guess charger only activates output when there is a load (makes sense, otherwise it would never stop charging)

But putting wheel on tap before plugging charger should activate max charge as soon as those pesky metal pegs get close to the outlet. 

Edited by Boogieman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Boogieman said:

I thought everyone was well aware that plug goes into outlet first - then into wheel. Been like that for me since my nonebot mini plus 2018 and then Tesla 2018.
On my ninebot mini plus with and adaptor - i get sparks when plugging in the charger - not that strange due to adaptor being slightly smaller than std, but its AC voltage and I would rather have sparks there and fry charger, than have sparks and fry the connected wheel if charger fries upon connection.

Never had sparks when plugging connector to wheel after first powering up charger. I guess charger only activates output when there is a load (makes sense, otherwise it would never stop charging)

But putting wheel on tap before plugging charger should activate max charge as soon as those pesky metal pegs get close to the outlet. 

It's not a given. I know I had some Gotway wheels in 2017 that didn't exhibit the spark feature :)  It's been a long time though so the details are fuzzy.

i have always plugged the charger into the wall first, and waited about 10 seconds before plugging it into the euc... same for all brands.. if you have a charger with a display like the ewheels fast chargers you can see that the display does not show the desired voltage immediately, it takes a few seconds to get around where you want, and then a few more to stabilise, usually overshooting by .1-.2 volts... whether this makes any difference whatsoever or not, i cant say.. but it makes me more comfortable to see the numbers stabilise and to know the caps in the charger are full before plugging it into the wheel... as for gotway wheels sparking, well the charge port is live lol... dont stick your fingers in it, dont quote me but im pretty sure that it was actually ewheels that got them to put in some sort of diode or spark arrestor for the charging port so it doesnt do that, however its still live.... i believe that even to this day, if you bought from somewhere that isnt ewheels you will get this sparking (i may be wrong, they may have changed it so all wheels have this now).. whats really weird though is my nikola never sparked, and that wheel was from aliexpress, so im not sure if that wheel in particular or even that exact model of nikola doesnt spark, or that was when they started doing it for all wheels?

edit: this should only apply to gotway wheels, i believe it shouldnt make any difference in what order you do it on other wheels... but i still think this order is good practice for anything

Edited by Rywokast