20 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Hey @HunkaHunkaBurningLove I am on the line with Lee from Microworks right now. Looks like we got a custom Sidestreet Reny model on it's way asap! ;):) Kind of excited to see what we can put together. I'll let y'all know what happens.

Definitely keep us posted. The Microworks stuff sounds interesting, I would like to hear some first hand impressions/reviews. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Shoe73 said:

Definitely keep us posted. The Microworks stuff sounds interesting, I would like to hear some first hand impressions/reviews. 

For sure. We will see how it goes...If I can't blow it up then who can. Hehehe. If I do, there are spare parts coming out the wazoo. :)

1 hour ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

The shipping is going to be cheaper now that I am in contact with them. I am getting the full untrimmed case, the L shaped hangers and pedals and the latest main board available (I think it's the 12 mosfet version???) and we will add padding to the case inside. I was thinking about installing a little computer fan by the main board (I will need a vent) or installing some thermal cooling material inside for extra temp control. Any other ideas let me know.

I thought with the larger tire they had to match it with a trimmed case.  You might want to double check which tire they are sending with if you want the beefier one that @MattJ has on his custom build.  It probably would help protect the motor better from higher drops.  Think 10 speed bike tire vs mountain/BMX bike tire.

You could also check to see if the latest board is the one with 12 MOSFETs as that likely will be able to handle the heat build up better.

3 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

...and we will add padding to the case inside. I was thinking about installing a little computer fan by the main board (I will need a vent) or installing some thermal cooling material inside for extra temp control. Any other ideas let me know.

With the padding you have to be carefull do not destroy the already almost not possible airflow in the motherboard compartment.

with the ?ks18/ks14? were here some reports of just drilling a couple of holes in the cases which were enough to prevent overheating. One just needs the right holes on the right places and then have to be carefull while riding in the rain. (Some just close the holes again with some tape)

also some mods are described around here regarding adding a fan.

so these topics should be quite well covered in this forum - it just depends a bit on how and where the motherboard sits in the casing.

another way of preventing overheating is to add a better heatsink, as @EUC Extreme has done with his GW. Thats imho the better way to solve the problem - the better heatsink "leads away" the heat from the mosfets more efficiently, so they are also better protected from high power peaks. Holes in the case would be the additional step to lead the heat out of the compartment.

Which combination of measures will work out for your wheel depends  on the details of your "construction".

since adding a nice heatsink to the mosfets and mounting it in a secure and usefull way in the casing requires some more skill and experience than cutting holes into the case (and or adding a fan) maybe MW can already do this for you (with some input from @EUC Extreme with his already gathered experience?). Would give MW a chance to provide one of the safest wheels regarding overtemp?

if you just want to add a fan, try to get an usb outlet in your wheel - that'll make this task extremely easy!

Hey thanx @Chriull for the info, much appreciated. I remember watching @EUC Extreme videos about how to keep his wheel warm, I think that's where I got the idea for the thermal padding. I must have watched every video on his channel when I was learning to ride and trying to understand the tech part and I'm obviously still learning. ;) 

On 10/21/2016 at 0:39 AM, Chriull said:

Thats imho the better way to solve the problem - the better heatsink "leads away" the heat from the mosfets more efficiently, so they are also better protected from high power peaks.

Yeah, I will look into the solution when I get my new wheel, the vent holes sounds easiest but given my riding I think the heatsink mod is definitely best solution. I'll be looking for some help when it gets here :) and I think when I get the new board for the 14b, if it works again it is getting the holes drilled right away. I wish I knew this before the 14b died, it is looking like allot of the problems with my EU seem to come from overheating issues ie the dead Mosfets (if that is what happened)

since adding a nice heatsink to the mosfets and mounting it in a secure and usefull way in the casing requires some more skill and experience than cutting holes into the case (and or adding a fan) maybe MW can already do this for you (with some input from @EUC Extreme with his already gathered experience?). Would give MW a chance to provide one of the safest wheels regarding overtemp?

I am definitely going to talk to MW about the mod, hopefully they are at least interested in doing it for mine.

With the padding you have to be carefull do not destroy the already almost not possible airflow in the motherboard compartment.

with the ?ks18/ks14? were here some reports of just drilling a couple of holes in the cases which were enough to prevent overheating. One just needs the right holes on the right places and then have to be carefull while riding in the rain. (Some just close the holes again with some tape)

also some mods are described around here regarding adding a fan.

so these topics should be quite well covered in this forum - it just depends a bit on how and where the motherboard sits in the casing.

another way of preventing overheating is to add a better heatsink, as @EUC Extreme has done with his GW. Thats imho the better way to solve the problem - the better heatsink "leads away" the heat from the mosfets more efficiently, so they are also better protected from high power peaks. Holes in the case would be the additional step to lead the heat out of the compartment.

Which combination of measures will work out for your wheel depends  on the details of your "construction".

if you just want to add a fan, try to get an usb outlet in your wheel - that'll make this task extremely easy!

A little update: I am now certain my KS14b failure (death) had nothing to do with mosfets, heatsink or the board it self, because I just installed a new board. As I suspected it was the motor/gyro that fried, died, failed etc. I could actually hear the motor/gyro struggling to work after the first major break down. It is really dead now!!

26 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

A little update: I am now certain my KS14b failure (death) had nothing to do with mosfets, heatsink or the board it self, because I just installed a new board. As I suspected it was the motor/gyro that fried, died, failed etc. I could actually hear the motor/gyro struggling to work after the first major break down. It is really dead now!!

I am very sorry to hear that the do appreciate the update

It is exactly one month today and counting without a wheel...and the balls of my feet hurt from walking and skateboarding all the time. Haha. I am going to New York next week and I have no EU to ride there.....I am soooooooo bummed! My 9bot1 C+ is still being repaired :( I had high hopes that the 14b was fixable or my 9bot1 would be ready by the time I had to fly. No love. If anybody in the New York area has a wheel to sell for less than $400 let me know.

Btw Does anybody know what electronic parts are interchangeable on most EU's? I have a pile of parts, some of which are in working order...I think. All the boards and motors have different connectors or I would have tried to assemble something to ride already.

14 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

Btw Does anybody know what electronic parts are interchangeable on most EU's? I have a pile of parts, some of which are in working order...I think. All the boards and motors have different connectors or I would have tried to assemble something to ride already.

Almost none sadly, the controller has to be configured with the motor specs. Different winding, stator thickness, magnet size and pole count will require different MCU code. One of the main reasons I'm making an open controller.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

F!@#$%^&*()_+_)(*&^%$#@!CK!!!!!!

My King Song KS14b is still not fixable, even with the replacement main board I purchased, and I can't find help getting a replacement motor (my fault, so why help me I guess). As for my 9bot1 C+. Thank you so much to Jake from Forward, he really has tried his best but it looks like Ninebot decided not to send a new board for me. So that's another $100 + $50 to just find out I am fucked.

I have now been without a wheel for over 6 weeks and I miss it so bad, though my health is always there to remind me of my pockets and some people are always there to remind me of what I deserve...or don't deserve because of what I do or how I ride. That's goddamn "trickism" haha.

:(  

p.s. In a year or so companies will have no choice but to adapt because wheels will inevitably become abused more and more and this will dictate the growth in functionality and durability to accommodate new riding styles. Believe me, I will not be the last person who tried expanding on the "slightly repetitive" standard and definitely not the last person striving to be inventive and creative beyond the status quo....or beyond the standard recommended usage.  

22 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

p.s. In a year or so companies will have no choice but to adapt because wheels will inevitably become abused more and more and this will dictate the growth in functionality and durability to accommodate new riding styles. Believe me, I will not be the last person who tried expanding on the "slightly repetitive" standard and definitely not the last person striving to be inventive and creative beyond the status quo....or beyond the standard recommended usage.

Build quality could for sure be better but to seriously improve it will probably drive up cost too much for these small companies... I think we won't see any impressive build quality until EUCs get into mainstream, the risk is high to try producing anything too expensive in small quantities.. For mainstream it has to become a common and reliable commuter vehicle like a bicycle to build a large user base, but now there's issues even with cheap pedals mounting methods.. The focus now is still on basic functionality such as better speed, range or portability while construction takes the back seat like a prototype. So you have to buy a new wheel every year if you 'abuse' it.. EUCs are still seen as toys and are relatively expensive because there's no mass production and import taxes plus shipping doubles your price.. I can see buying a lot of wheels would add up over the years... I think for more trick/extreme riders eventually even a Tesla model 3 or something is not a far stretch economically if you split the cost for two people for example, maybe boring but for the masses a car is also easier, more versatile and comfortable that can add a lot of value.. Most fun hobbies and sports do cost you, but if you can afford this it's definitely worth it after all. So I wouldn't hold my breath just get what you can and enjoy :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 1:23 PM, nomad said:

Build quality could for sure be better but to seriously improve it will probably drive up cost too much for these small companies... I think we won't see any impressive build quality until EUCs get into mainstream, the risk is high to try producing anything too expensive in small quantities.. For mainstream it has to become a common and reliable commuter vehicle like a bicycle to build a large user base, but now there's issues even with cheap pedals mounting methods.. The focus now is still on basic functionality such as better speed, range or portability while construction takes the back seat like a prototype. So you have to buy a new wheel every year if you 'abuse' it.. EUCs are still seen as toys and are relatively expensive because there's no mass production and import taxes plus shipping doubles your price.. I can see buying a lot of wheels would add up over the years... I think for more trick/extreme riders eventually even a Tesla model 3 or something is not a far stretch economically if you split the cost for two people for example, maybe boring but for the masses a car is also easier, more versatile and comfortable that can add a lot of value.. Most fun hobbies and sports do cost you, but if you can afford this it's definitely worth it after all. So I wouldn't hold my breath just get what you can and enjoy :cheers:

The BMX bike was an elaboration on the 20" kids bike, the mountain bike evolved from a regular full size bike mixed with BMX, the Skateboard was a roller skate cut in half and nailed to a 2x4 before we did any tricks at all, the drift car and NASCAR evolved from the model T driven by moonshiners that decided to race each other, base jumpers jumped out of planes first, parachutes were for safety, extreme frisbee Golf evolved from a toy, rock climbers did it out of necessity first, surfing was a 14 foot longboard made out of balsa wood before it shrunk to a 6 ft fiberglass board, the roller skate as we know it was a toy with metal wheels, the wind surfer was a sail on a surf board before it caught air off a wave, the 4x4 was a utility jeep first, stunt planes evolved from biplanes that were just meant to fly….etc...etc.  B)

The regular unicycle was fun and challenging and part of the circus half the time....then....the extreme street and off road came along. They broke unicycles (pedals, seats and cranks etc) almost every time they went out....until.....somebody made one that could handle the abuse. Now there are these riders all over the world and many companies to supply them with the durable tools they need to make it happen.

This is what is up....for me....and anyone who wants to join me! ;) 

@Jonathan Tolhurst @Toby Stevens @Hirsute @Chris West It's on brothers! ;) 

22 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

The only thing that can handle my tricks and abuse....the Freeman! Yo @Hirsute make sure you read and watch the post above!!

Congrats!! Freeman should offer you a corporate sponsorship! 

22 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

p.s. everyone. I bought a helmet. :ph34r:

You look buff in your new helmet!

IMG_0459.GIF

@Sidestreet Reny fantastic skills those people have!  Glad to see you got a new wheel.

I noticed every one of those unicycles had fat balloony tires run at the lowest pressure possible, some of them the tire collapsed to the rim when landing, it looks like a good way to absorb the shock of jumping.

I wonder if you have tried super low pressure, and if that would keep the pedal mounts from cracking?

2 hours ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

The BMX bike was an elaboration on the 20" kids bike, the mountain bike evolved from a regular full size bike mixed with BMX, the Skateboard was a roller skate cut in half and nailed to a 2x4 before we did any tricks at all, the drift car and NASCAR evolved from the model T driven by moonshiners that decided to race each other, base jumpers jumped out of planes first, parachutes were for safety, extreme frisbee Golf evolved from a toy, rock climbers did it out of necessity first, surfing was a 14 foot longboard made out of balsa wood before it shrunk to a 6 ft fiberglass board, the roller skate as we know it was a toy with metal wheels, the wind surfer was a sail on a surf board before it caught air off a wave, the 4x4 was a utility jeep first, stunt planes evolved from biplanes that were just meant to fly….etc...etc.  B)

The regular unicycle was fun and challenging and part of the circus half the time....then....the extreme street and off road came along. They broke unicycles (pedals, seats and cranks etc) almost every time they went out....until.....somebody made one that could handle the abuse. Now there are these riders all over the world and many companies to supply them with the durable tools they need to make it happen.

This is what is up....for me....and anyone who wants to join me! ;) 

@Jonathan Tolhurst @Toby Stevens @Hirsute @Chris West It's on brothers! ;) 

Amazing. Some of those guys must have 'groins-of-steel'. But they are just boys. Here are the men (I still feel queasy when I watch this)..

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Amazing. Some of those guys must have 'groins-of-steel'. But they are just boys. Here are the men (I still feel queasy when I watch this)..

What were those crazy hand gestures?

And also, don't try this at home.

4 minutes ago, steve454 said:

What were those crazy hand gestures?

And also, don't try this at home.

I think they've earned the right to use any hand gestures they want ;)   Someday, when I grow up, I'm going to ride my wheel on that chimney :cry2:

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

See, now that is just uncalled for!! 2 part talent and 8 part WTF are you doin man?? I can't even watch :barf: . That shit is almost 100% BALLS...not to mention blatant disregard for the wife, dog and the cat at home. :crying:

7 minutes ago, Sidestreet Reny said:

See, now that is just uncalled for!! 2 part talent and 8 part WTF are you doin man?? I can't even watch :barf: . That shit is almost 100% BALLS...not to mention blatant disregard for the wife, dog and the cat at home. :crying:

@Sidestreet Reny i'm scared of heights, to me those dudes are crazy:o

Archived