20 days without any wheel so far. I have the money saved up now including my prize money and I am really not sure which way to go this time around. The KS14b just couldn't handle most of my tricks...extreme or not and it is totally out of commission now. There is a small chance a new board might resurrect it for some disco transportation at least. Not for tricks though.

I have a beat up 9bot1 C+ that turned off all of a sudden 1 month ago (without any jumps or slides) and never came on again so Jake from @FORWARD california is doing his best to help me get it fixed, even though it was purchased almost a year ago (because he is just awesome!) I do love riding the 9bot and obviously it works for most tricks, just ask @Jonathan Tolhurst and many other tricky cats. :) I haven't ever pedal slid, jumped high or anything like that on it yet. Also sometimes it would turn off while landing a jump and could not be turned on again until it was plugged in again. :(

Important: It turns out that less power is more beneficial for jumping and sliding as it creates less resistance from the board and it just gives out completely instead of hurting the motor or the board. So I am looking at these three.

• Ninebot One A1 same as the E series. It's affordable, light as hell, doesn't spin out of control when it falls
  • Inmotion V5 seems nice, super stiff ride but really high pedals. Does it spin out of control when it falls?
  • Freeman A4 dual chip set and Ninebot-esque stiffness in ride and control. It's light, safe and solid but a bit chunky

Any advice, experience or recs from actual riders would be appreciated. Thanx folks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rode the V8 a little bit this past weekend. As a 16" wheel it felt more like my KS14C - very nimble. I can't talk to any of the other points you mentioned though.

@Sidestreet Reny S2 and V5 are good light wheels, but it's maybe not the best for you because it's not the best to jump. The design is beautiful but it's difficult to catch it between your feets during the jump. By the way the V5 is the best for tricks like i do, with angles and spins, because the pedals are really high (S2 pedals are low)

I think that you should try to find some old mcm2s (strong, easy to jump, light).

i don't know how is the freeman, it seems uggly but good to jump...

@Hirsute is correct.    I recently met up with @fearedbliss and rode his V5 a bit. It was amazing how good it is for spins on one spot and small radius turns. The high pedals are great and easy to get used to and because of the wheel's stiffness it is much more responsive than the ks14c. V5 is great for free style riding

I tried summoning you @Sidestreet Reny to the Geekwheel thread a while ago.  For what you intend to do with the wheel, I think you need one that has cheap, easily replaceable parts.  Destroying a nice V5 or S2 is just going to be expensive and frustrating.  Where can you get a replacement controller for those and guess how much they are going to cost?

With the 14" Geekwheel with beefy tire and 12 mosfet board, I think that might be a good wheel to consider as long as it can withstand sudden changes of direction under power and dropping from higher distances.  They say it rides like a 16" but with the weight of a 14"er.  I would think the thicker tire would be more suited to drops and spins.  Price is right as you don't want to trash a $1000 wheel.

If agility is top priority, maybe an IPS a130 turbo edition from Ewheels might be another wheel to consider.  The 12" wheel might be lighter to hop and toss around.   I don't know though if the controller can handle severe duty though so I wouldn't count on warranty if you are going to rough it.

My first choice seems to make the most sense as parts are cheaper plus you get slightly faster than Ninebot One cruising speeds.  The shell has lots of tire exposed so no worries scraping it.  I don't have any connection with MicroWorks, but I do have a intense curiosity to see the Geekwheel toughness tested to see how it compares to more mainstream wheels.  If it can survive SSReny it'll be the tank of EUCs.  Maybe you can cut some sort of deal with them due to your recognition on the forums here.  @Lz Lee & @Rein-tech haven't been on the forums for a while though...

EDIT:  Pluuus if you get a 3D printer and accidentally damage the GW shell, you can just print your own like @MattJ and @electric_vehicle_lover.

1 hour ago, Hirsute said:

V5 is the best for tricks like i do, with angles and spins, because the pedals are really high (S2 pedals are low)

I think that you should try to find some old mcm2s (strong, easy to jump, light).

Thanx @Hirsute I have tried the mcms they have too much power, I guess the 14b had too much power too. I figured out that less power is actually best for tricks because it lets go on a bad landing instead of blowing out the the main board when you do tricks like mine. Running out of a fail is better than walking home with a dead wheel too me.

V5 or the A1 will be covered with fat padding on the sides anyway so the grip thing doesn't matter.

53 minutes ago, Cloud said:

@Hirsute is correct.    I recently met up with @fearedbliss and rode his V5 a bit. It was amazing how good it is for spins on one spot and small radius turns. The high pedals are great and easy to get used to and because of the wheel's stiffness it is much more responsive than the ks14c. V5 is great for free style riding

I miss that stiffness from my Freeman and my 9bot.

15 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I tried summoning you @Sidestreet Reny to the Geekwheel thread a while ago.

I think I checked them out but I'll go back and look again. The form was odd as I recall, really top heavy. That's a reason for the A1 or V5 but you got me scared about that replacement board thing. :( I am really curious about the fat tire on that Geekwheel as well.

With the brand name wheels I'd estimate about $100 to $200 a pop per controller.   Looking back through the history of problems you've had it seems like the controller tends to blow up.   Now keep in mind I don't know how rugged the MW 12 MOSFET controller is so it's still a gamble plus I hear that they don't sell it as a spare part so you might be stuck with the 6 Mosfet ones.  

Maybe @MattJ or @electric_vehicle_lover can comment on the pricing and durability of parts (Can they withstand drops on the pedals supports?  Are the motor axles strong to withstand metal fracture?) .  The big question is whether their board can handle what you're wanting to do with it.   It certainly might not be any better than the rest,  but at least it would be cheaper to replace and just pop in a spare replacement board for like $30-40 bucks.   For the cost of a brand name wheel you could get maybe two GWs and a slew of replacement parts with the money saved.   If one goes down you can ride the other while you fix the spare.   Just a thought.

If the wheel ends up to be a winner you could go into reselling maybe since you would know the ins and outs and be your own best rep.  I mean,  if Tony Hawk had his own line of skateboards what brand would people want to get?   People must ask you about your wheel while you do tricks so what better is there to say that you sell them too?  If things work out and you do go into reselling please get that dang wheel rebranded from Geekwheel to something else like Streetside Stunter or something cooler...  :lol:

46 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

@Sidestreet Reny maybe a simple airwheel x3 could do your job....

I dug my airwheel it worked fine for some stuff, but it cant jump without turning off in the air. A little bit too slow too slow too. I just need a few mph more I don't like fast very much anyway.

8 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

With the brand name wheels I'd estimate about $100 to $200 a pop per controller.   Looking back through the history of problems you've had it seems like the controller tends to blow up.   Now keep in mind I don't know how rugged the MW 12 MOSFET controller is so it's still a gamble plus I hear that they don't sell it as a spare part so you might be stuck with the 6 Mosfet ones.  

Maybe @MattJ or @electric_vehicle_lover can comment on the pricing and durability of parts (Can they withstand drops on the pedals supports?  Are the motor axles strong to withstand metal fracture?) .  The big question is whether their board can handle what you're wanting to do with it.   It certainly might not be any better than the rest,  but at least it would be cheaper to replace and just pop in a spare replacement board for like $30-40 bucks.   For the cost of a brand name wheel you could get maybe two GWs and a slew of replacement parts with the money saved.   If one goes down you can ride the other while you fix the spare.   Just a thought.

If the wheel ends up to be a winner you could go into reselling maybe since you would know the ins and outs and be your own best rep.  I mean,  if Tony Hawk had his own line of skateboards what brand would people want to get?   People must ask you about your wheel while you do tricks so what better is there to say that you sell them too?  If things work out and you do go into reselling please get that dang wheel rebranded from Geekwheel to something else like Streetside Stunter or something cooler...  :lol:

I actually wanted to try one when I saw that post a while back about those Geekwheels. Those guys from aren't around anywhere. I need a new wheel in under 2 weeks before I go to NY, I gotta go riding there! I don't even know if my 9bot will be back in time. I'm stressing the wife out. :( 

I think they can do up a custom quote for you as $500 sounds a bit out of the ballpark.  You might try contacting them.  Maybe a smaller order like one wheel and one extra controller board might not be that pricey to ship?  I think it's about $140 to ship one wheel alone so it isn't cheap.  I don't know how Speedyfeet ships through Fedex so inexpensively.

8 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I think they can do up a custom quote for you as $500 sounds a bit out of the ballpark.  You might try contacting them.  Maybe a smaller order like one wheel and one extra controller board might not be that pricey to ship?  I think it's about $140 to ship one wheel alone so it isn't chrap.  I don't know how Speedyfeet ships through Fedex so cheaply.

I happened to be looking at that wheel yesterday. That is the price for the 680wh version. For the 340wh version it's in the three hundreds.

Whoops I misread that.  I thought he said shipping was going to cost $500.  I haven't checked the pricing out for a while, but last I recall they were $380 for the wheel and $140 for shipping so yeah $500-600 sounds right for the smaller battry version.  If controllers are $40 + shipping in the long run it might be cheaper.

What other wheel has inexpensive replacement parts?

45 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Whoops I misread that.  I thought he said shipping was going to cost $500.  I haven't checked the pricing out for a while, but last I recall they were $380 for the wheel and $240 for shipping so yeah $500-600 sounds right for the smaller battry version.  If controllers are $40 + shipping in the long run it might be cheaper.

What other wheel has inexpensive replacement parts?

The whole Microworks thing is definitely a good solution I just cant pay $600 it seem so steep when I could have a V5 or A1 for $500 or less. Freeman parts are pretty cheap and Ninebot parts aren't that steep, they are just hard to get a hold of and I don't know about Inmotion parts availability.

I didn't know that V5 / A1's were that cheap!  I thought they were closer to $800 or so.

Just a quick search - yeah you're right!  The one battery version is $431 USD to US.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Ninebot-One-A1-single-wheel-electric-scooter-self-balance-monowheel-hoverboard-support-upgrade-dual-batteries/1800725_32664916480.html

$530 USD to US

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/INMOTION-SCV-V5-smart-self-balancing-scooter-electric-one-wheel-hoverboard-skateboard-UL-unicycle-portable-monowheel/32755423590.html

The parts to replace controller boards for the V5 / A1 I couldn't find anything... so if they break down back to square one?

This was the V5 add I saw...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-inch-Electric-Self-Balancing-Scooter-Smart-Wheels-Unicycle-Hoverboard-Skateboard-with-Handle-Bar-Bluetooth/32723630021.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.0.yTNkbl

I almost just bought the V5 or the A1 but I contacted them and they said it wouldn't be here for over 3 weeks. :(

There is an A1 on Ebay for $500 too.

7 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I didn't know that V5 / A1's were that cheap!  I thought they were closer to $800 or so.

Just a quick search - yeah you're right!  The one battery version is $431 USD to US.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hot-Ninebot-One-A1-single-wheel-electric-scooter-self-balance-monowheel-hoverboard-support-upgrade-dual-batteries/1800725_32664916480.html

$530 USD to US

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/INMOTION-SCV-V5-smart-self-balancing-scooter-electric-one-wheel-hoverboard-skateboard-UL-unicycle-portable-monowheel/32755423590.html

The parts to replace controller boards for the V5 / A1 I couldn't find anything...

It's so funny on Aliexpress there is always an estimated arrival time of like 10 days and below there is a guaranteed arrival time of like 34 days. Guh?

$440 USD delivered to the US is hard to beat.  $10.52 shipping through Fedex IE?  Something doesn't sound quite right.  Usually courier shipping from China takes about 5 days to Canada.  I bought my generic on AliExpress, and it arrived in record time with tracking.  Courier costs usually are about $100 for something this heavy so unless they are selling the wheel at a large markup to factor in the cheap shipping or something doesn't sound quite right.  3 weeks seems like an unusual lead time.

Here's another for $5 more, but they seem to state 7 days for EU.  You could check to see what the time frame is like for the US.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/INMOTION-SCV-V5-V5-Plus-smart-self-balancing-scooter-electric-one-wheel-hoverboard-skateboard-UL2272-unicycle/32730540091.html

Maybe check with them to see if they sell replacement parts or know of someone who does.

I wonder why Geekwheel shipping is so high.

31 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

The parts to replace controller boards for the V5 / A1 I couldn't find anything...

@FORWARD california Jake is putting a new board in my C+ as we speak and he got me a new board in a week or two it didn't work so he told me to send it to him, without blinking. If I could get an A1 from Jake I'd do it in a second but they don't have them. Can't find any V5 parts at all.

I think overheating could have something to do with some of my wheel failures too. I never paid attention to the apps really at all.

Climbing angles might be something to consider too I guess.

V5 = 18°

A1 = 15°  I don't know if the angle's different with 2 batteries

9Bot1 C or E = 15° - 20°

Freeman = 15° - 20°

5 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

$440 USD delivered to the US is hard to beat.  $10.52 shipping through Fedex IE?  Something doesn't sound quite right.  Usually courier shipping from China takes about 5 days to Canada.  I bought my generic on AliExpress, and it arrived in record time with tracking.  Courier costs usually are about $100 for something this heavy so unless they are selling the wheel at a large markup to factor in the cheap shipping or something doesn't sound quite right.  3 weeks seems like an unusual lead time.

Here's another for $5 more, but they seem to state 7 days for EU.  You could check to see what the time frame is like for the US.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/INMOTION-SCV-V5-V5-Plus-smart-self-balancing-scooter-electric-one-wheel-hoverboard-skateboard-UL2272-unicycle/32730540091.html

Maybe check with them to see if they sell replacement parts or know of someone who does.

That was also my hesitation, it just seemed too cheap. All I can think is they have a warehouse here in the states or Canada. I really wonder why the Geekwheel shipping is damn high.

5 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Saw this other China brand (rebrand) called Icewheel and it has an App, speaker, headlights, USB port, high speed options and it's like $300 - $400. About the same as the Geek but shipping is free (don't ask me how) and comes with a couple extras.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Icewheel-self-balancing-Scooter-W3-W3S-Solo-wheel-unicycle-with-bluetooth-LED-light-APP/32751112376.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000013.1.tGrUrc&scm=1007.13339.33317.0&pvid=76f9ba9f-a1e3-4193-98e3-24b6726b7cda&tpp=1

Hmmm, I wonder what boards they have in it and how reliable they are? For around $300 including shipping, it could be shite or who knows it could be usable. Cheap enough to have a couple of them and replace it rather than fixing it. Needs some modifying though that's for sure, as does the Geekwheel, that exposed tire must be covered and I need these L shaped hangers for the pedals....

IMG_1529.JPG

Ninebot and Freeman both have these L shaped pedal hangers. The L shape gives you more room on the pedals to stand on and they give you more pedal to slide on.

I hope you guys can work something out.  MW sounds like a pretty good company to deal with (too bad their shipping is so pricey though!).  I think Gotway must have some ties with them since MW sells a bunch of Gotway models on their Alibaba site.  I think they have to trim the shell of the Geekwheel or else the shell won't clear the wider tire as it's circumference is larger.  Fashioning a custom fender shouldn't be a big deal though.  Couple pieces cut from a Slip and Slide snow mat bolted on or epoxied might do the trick.

That Icewheel could be compatible with the MW controllers, but there's no guarantee as their controllers are programmed to work with their motors.  If the motor is the same then it should work in theory?  I don't think it has the thicker Geekwheel tire though for drops...

It looks like you're putting that prize money into good use.  Jason McNeil was quite generous to offer those second and third cash prizes.  I wish someone would give me money for nothing, but no skilz no moola.  Oh well...

2 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

I hope you guys can work something out.  MW sounds like a pretty good company to deal with (too bad their shipping is so pricey though!).  I think Gotway must have some ties with them since MW sells a bunch of Gotway models on their Alibaba site.  I think they have to trim the shell of the Geekwheel or else the shell won't clear the wider tire as it's circumference is larger.  Fashioning a custom fender shouldn't be a big deal though.  Couple pieces cut from a Slip and Slide snow mat bolted on or epoxied might do the trick.

That Icewheel could be compatible with the MW controllers, but there's no guarantee as their controllers are programmed to work with their motors.  If the motor is the same then it should work in theory?  I don't think it has the thicker Geekwheel tire though for drops...

The shipping is going to be cheaper now that I am in contact with them. I am getting the full untrimmed case, the L shaped hangers and pedals and the latest main board available (I think it's the 12 mosfet version???) and we will add padding to the case inside. I was thinking about installing a little computer fan by the main board (I will need a vent) or installing some thermal cooling material inside for extra temp control. Any other ideas let me know.

Archived