Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Well following all the shock conversation here, here's my 2 cents.

This vid I do an 11" curb drop at 0:27.  Vid link here cued to 0:24:  https://youtu.be/oJn8XQbk7p0?si=PBicAHDJhecfuiSm&t=24

The shock is the DNM RCP 2S with 550lbs:  Amazon.com : catazer RCP2S Downhill Bicycle Metal Rear Suspension Spring Shock 190mm 200m 220mm 240mm 550 Lbs MTB Bike Rear Shocks (200mm*550lbs) : Sports & Outdoors 

My preload is about 15% and it doesn't "top-out" or bottom out thanks to the IFP nitro chamber.  I had to separate the linkage and remove the fender to fit. 

As compared to my S20/S22Pro+ thing... that's ultra soft with a 350 lbs spring and simlar DNM shock.  Both reach about 50% travel on that same drop.  Yet the more progressive suspension of the S20 feels supple on the little stuff. 

I do have an X-type linkage ordered for a Master and if it doesn't work for the Extreme I now have the materials to fab my own linkages... The wheel is and travel/glide is working but the shock setup needs IFP-type shock and better yet linkage help.

Edited by Elliott Reitz

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find more info about Begode's new double damping infinitely adjustable hydraulic spring shock absorber two springs options: 1300 or 900 lbs? Is this eventually going to come stock on the Extreme?

Model  number DS200-55.

All I've found is this FB post.

DS200-55.jpg.9fbc4adac42a07073fd08d7a42a8ea46.jpg

What does "infinitely adjustable" even mean? Compression dampening can go from fully opened to fully closed which is 0-100% flow of oil it can't less than 0% or more than 100% thus infinity is not a mechanical possibility, or do they mean you can just spin the knob forever but nothing will happen??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

What does "infinitely adjustable" even mean?

It's just silly a marketing word for a knob that has no click-stops as you turn it. You could adjust it from 62.0007% to 62.0000003% for some psychosomatic performance enhancements :roflmao:

Dumb marketing aside, it's going to be nice having independent damping adjustment for both up and down directions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoleCycle said:

It's just silly a marketing word for a knob that has no click-stops as you turn it. You could adjust it from 62.0007% to 62.0000003% for some psychosomatic performance enhancements :roflmao:

Dumb marketing aside, it's going to be nice having independent damping adjustment for both up and down directions.

Isn't up direction what we usually call rebound adjustment? 😅

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Isn't up direction what we usually call rebound adjustment? 😅

Yeah it is. The rebound adjustment controls the level of damping. I'm fairly sure that most basic shocks have two controls, preload and rebound. I'm under the impression that the rebound actually dampens the motion equally in both directions. If it's not equal then the factory is setting some up/down ratio for you. Higher end shocks allow for independent levels of damping for each direction, compression and rebound.

I've yet to experience higher end shocks with that level if control on any of my toys, including all my past motorcycles.

One of the ways I think I would tweak it is to use low damping on compression and higher damping on extension.

Low damping absorbs hits & bumps more efficiently but if too low, you spring off of everything excessively, which can lesson control and smoothness. With low damping compression and higher damping extension, the wheel would eat surprise bumps better and not launch you after.

Another day I might want to catch more air from bonks and bunny hops. So I'd decrease the extension damping to get more spring action on the rebound.

Basically let's you dial in better for different conditions.

Edited by SoleCycle

5 minutes ago, SoleCycle said:

Yeah it is. The rebound adjustment controls the level of damping. I'm fairly sure that most basic shocks have two controls, preload and rebound. I'm under the impression that the rebound actually dampens the motion equally in both directions. If it's not equal then the factory is setting some up/down ratio for you. Higher end shocks allow for independent levels of damping for each direction, compression and rebound.

I've yet to experience higher end shocks with that level if control on any of my toys, including all my past motorcycles.

One of the ways I think I would tweak it is to use low damping on compression and higher damping on extension.

Low damping absorbs hits & bumps more efficiently but if too low, you spring off of everything excessively, which can lesson control and smoothness. With low damping compression and higher damping extension, the wheel would eat surprise bumps better and not launch you after.

Another day I might want to catch more air from bonks and bunny hops. So I'd decrease the extension damping to get more spring action on the rebound.

Basically let's you dial in better for different conditions.

What you are describing there is shocks that have 3 different knobs, high and low dampening plus rebound adjustment, the Begode shock doesn't have that, having both dampening and rebound adjustment is pretty standard in most basic shocks.

My Rockshox Vivid R2C shock that I have on S22 has both beginning and end stroke dampening adjustment, I'm not sure I like it though just even more things to dial in and understand.

45 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

3 different knobs

Just look at the photo @Rawnei. Don't you see three adjustments? Two knobs and preload.

I'm pretty certain that the typical 3 adjustments on most shocks (like your S22) are: Compression Damping, Rebound Damping, and Preload Adjustment.

Though I do see on your Rockshox that they call it beginning and end stroke adjustment. I wonder if that's another term for the same thing, or something totally different?

Edited by SoleCycle

12 minutes ago, SoleCycle said:

Just look at the photo @Rawnei. Don't you see three adjustments? Two knobs and preload.

I'm pretty certain that the typical 3 adjustments on most shocks (like your S22) are: Compression Damping, Rebound Damping, and Preload Adjustment.

Though I do see on your Rockshox that they call it beginning and end stroke adjustment. I wonder if that's another term for the same thing, or something totally different?

Preload on a coil spring isn't adjusted by a knob, it's adjusted by screwing part that holds the coil making it compress, I don't know what that thing on the right is almost looks like an air valve.

29 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Preload on a coil spring isn't adjusted by a knob, it's adjusted by screwing part that holds the coil making it compress, I don't know what that thing on the right is almost looks like an air valve.

Yes. And that coil spring adjustment is clearly in the photo at the bottom of the spring. Plus there's a red knob and a blue knob. I suspect the valve looking thing is for hydraulic fluid maintenance or custom pressurizing.

Anyway, tangent and derailing aside. If anyone knows more about this new DS200-55 shock that Begode is releasing, please share what you know. Thanks!

If you're a big jumper and have an Extreme, it sounds like they'll send you a free set of these.

DS200-55.jpg.9fbc4adac42a07073fd08d7a42a8ea46.jpg

Here's the information copied from my link above

" Dear Begode Extreme users:
Thank you for your support and love of Begode products. In order to meet your needs for extreme jumping, Begode has launched a new generation of double damping infinitely adjustable hydraulic spring shock absorber DS200-55 for you.
This DS200-55 shock has two knobs that adjust the damping speed in both the up and down directions. Especially the downward damping can greatly absorb the force of high-speed impact landing, making high jumps easier.
New double damping shock+new firmware+130mm suspension+134v power=enjoy your jumping time
To obtain the experience quota, you need to meet the following conditions:
1) You are the owner of Begode Extreme and are already in use.
2) You are a jumping player who can ride the Extreme for jumping.
If you meet the above conditions, please provide your motor code for us to verify. Please contact 👉🏻 Milli Begode, Lukas Lu , Wendy Cao  for consultation and registration.
Remarks:
The DS200-55 is also compatible with other models, but it needs to be coordinated with the S linkage. You can order it from the Begode dealer soon.
The DS200-55 is also suitable for speed and racing, with bi-directional increased damping to ensure stable suspension without shaking, making it suitable for racing needs.
DS200-55 has two types of springs: 1300lbs and 900lbs."

Edited by SoleCycle

The video below only talks about the 2nd generation stock shock for the Extreme, and how its rebound damping is not quite right. 

Yet, it has 105 k views so far.

How many Extremes has Begode sold up to now. Well, I am pretty certain, it ain't 105 k.

It is pretty doubtful that the total number of people who own an Extreme, or who are interested in getting an Extreme adds up to 105 k.

It looks like she can draw people to her Channel. 

Manufacturers should get her to review beginners wheels.

Coincidentally, that day may so happened to be her laundry day, and as a result, she could only put on what is not in the wash, I think. :)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, techyiam said:

Coincidentally, that day may so happened to be her laundry day, and as a result, she could only put on what is not in the wash, I think. :)

It would be unfortunate indeed, she could also get stuck and ask her brother-in-law for help:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Perhaps it's in her contract with Begode - 'no more than 2 items of clothing, and none of them can be underwear' ?!

Dear oh dear - in researching Begode's latest suspension developments I've seen more camel toe than an Egyptian vet !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Ronin Ryder said:

Some NYC night riding footage with the Begode Extreme, following Hsiang on the Lynx. Despite its heavy offroad advertising, the Extreme is an Excellent city riding wheel. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2FeWxvrRHa/?igsh=dGRhMXhmdjcyZDFw

In fairness, pretty much all modern wheels advertised for offroading will perform just as well on the street. It's a much more lenient environment in general, the only reason they would perform worse is if they wobble, which can mostly be removed with practice.

Otherwise city riding is mostly a subset of good offroad capability. Maybe not ideal for racing, perhaps, but that's nitpicking anyway.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 1:06 AM, techyiam said:

The video below only talks about the 2nd generation stock shock for the Extreme, and how its rebound damping is not quite right. 

Yet, it has 105 k views so far.

How many Extremes has Begode sold up to now. Well, I am pretty certain, it ain't 105 k.

It is pretty doubtful that the total number of people who own an Extreme, or who are interested in getting an Extreme adds up to 105 k.

It looks like she can draw people to her Channel. 

Manufacturers should get her to review beginners wheels.

Her YT channel has almost one million subscribers and 500 million views. Her first EUC clip was posted about 2.5 years ago in May 2021. It's quite clearly an entertainment channel which (only) role-plays to be educational. Like for a luxury cars channel, most viewers will never buy the product they are watching, they watch for entertainment and for being projected in a different world like with a movie. It could still be good EUC advertisement though, as people at least get to know what an EUC is. Her YT channel links to ewheels.com

Edited by Mono

2 minutes ago, Mono said:

It's quite clearly an entertainment channel which (only) role-plays to be educational. It's probably like for a luxury cars channel, most viewers will never buy the product they are watching. It could still be good EUC advertisement though, as people at least get to know what an EUC is.

Her Youtube Channel has an unique combination that can capture a wider audience than your typical EUC channel.

Her main videos are all euc related. She then augment those few videos with a constant production of shorts that are outdoor sport activities related, including water sports, trampoline, climbing, and jumping off a cliff, etc. She is skilled, and gutsy to do all sort of stuff.

I would not agree that her content doesn't help riders to make their euc related purchases across the board. Perhaps the serious enthusiasts would go elsewhere for more technical details and expertise, but for the less serious or technical riders, there are information and opinions to help them to be more informed.

She herself is sufficiently skilled to do jumps, stairs, all sort of off-road riding. She even have an instructional video to teach someone how to free-mount an euc with over 800K views.

Her euc related content is probably more in depth then let say those from Freshly Charged. And the public exposure of her channel is about 5 times greater, based on subscribers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I would not agree that her content doesn't help riders to make their euc related purchases across the board.

That might be so though I am not convinced. My point however was regarding the intent of the channel and the intent of most of its viewers to watch. The intend is on neither side about purchase related decision. The role playing is to me about as obvious as it can get.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Her Youtube Channel has an unique combination that can capture a wider audience than your typical EUC channel.

Her main videos are all euc related. She then augment those few videos with a constant production of shorts that are outdoor sport activities related, including water sports, trampoline, climbing, and jumping off a cliff, etc. She is skilled, and gutsy to do all sort of stuff.

I would not agree that her content doesn't help riders to make their euc related purchases across the board. Perhaps the serious enthusiasts would go elsewhere for more technical details and expertise, but for the less serious or technical riders, there are information and opinions to help them to be more informed.

She herself is sufficiently skilled to do jumps, stairs, all sort of off-road riding. She even have an instructional video to teach someone how to free-mount an euc with over 800K views.

Her euc related content is probably more in depth then let say those from Freshly Charged. And the public exposure of her channel is about 5 times greater, based on subscribers.

She is actually quite skilled at what she does on a wheel.  Whether it is some kind of role-playing game or not - I don't care, knowing that the biggest part of the "content creators" are only there because of one thing; Money.    Apart from that, you can smile a little and see if you can concentrate on the content - instead of looking at Jack's welding goggles, or Chooch's tumbling techniques. The only thing you could wish for is that she would be a little more serious about body protection. It would be a shame if the milk machines were seriously damaged.

Edited by Robse

6 minutes ago, Robse said:

The only thing you could wish for is that she would be a little more serious about body protection.

LOL, looks like you didn't get the point of the channel then :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Robse said:

She is actually quite skilled at what she does on a wheel. 

+1.

She is skilled not only in riding an euc. She is skilled in a number of things. Also, she is ballsy.

She really did jump out that cliff. And that cliff is fairly high to most people to jump off.

8 minutes ago, Robse said:

The only thing you could wish for is that she would be a little more serious about body protection. It would be a shame if the milk machines were seriously damaged.

Just now, Mono said:

LOL, looks like you didn't get the point of the channel then :D

I don't think it is that high risk. I think she just do that long enough for the camera. It's just for production, but without a stunt double. :) 

But the formula she is using for her channel is at least working way better than other euc Youtube channels.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Youraubsome's channel is not hurting anyone. I am not much of a fan of her content or really even understand what the appeal is, but that is quite ok. Its not for everyone.

The intent is obvious and if people want to watch her videos and get something from it (which they obviously do) then I think that is great for them and her.

Back on topic since I have a thing with huge derailments of topics. Quite a bit surprised at how many mods/changes need to be done to make this wheel in line with what it was advertised as, and that people are still trying to justify this wheel. To me its the type of wheel that people will buy if it appeals to them, and other will hard pass on it. So I don't understand why so much convo is still active on trying to convince people how good this wheel is.

Sure it works great as a street rider in NYC for the crew of people here. That is of no surprise, almost every begode model is well liked and built pretty good for the streets here. Plus I have a feeling that is a decent part of their market share may be places like NYC.

I havent heard many bad things coming out of california when it comes the extreme, but it seems not much buzz either over there from it. It seems to just be a pretty good 16 inch wheel right in line with all the other pretty good 16inch wheels. 

• Like 3

just mentioning it once and im not commenting on it any more...if one doesnt understand what the 'primary' attraction is to the aubsome feed, you are legally blind...and btw, you will get more technical help talking to riders at their local hangout than hanging at that feed.  i have nothing against the aubsome site,  but if you are going to dress like 'that',  why dress in any clothes at all.......

correction: i get more help reading this blog than most vids on the tube...

Edited by bpong

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Quite a bit surprised at how many mods/changes need to be done to make this wheel in line with what it was advertised as, and that people are still trying to justify this wheel. To me its the type of wheel that people will buy if it appeals to them, and other will hard pass on it. So I don't understand why so much convo is still active on trying to convince people how good this wheel is.

Sure it works great as a street rider in NYC for the crew of people here. That is of no surprise, almost every begode model is well liked and built pretty good for the streets here. Plus I have a feeling that is a decent part of their market share may be places like NYC.

Well @jimjam.nyc, there doesn't seem to be any 16" trail wheel on the market that don't have some significant disappointments from large groups of riders. The people here talking up the Extreme have a personal preference for a feature set that isn't as off-putting as the other options. Patton, T4, and V14 lovers are either doing the same thing or just don't care about some features or lack thereof. Are there any 16" wheels other than those that can genuinely be called a trail wheel? While street wheel options are starting to fill out and accommodate people's needs, pickings are disappointingly slim for agility seeking trail riders.

All of your points about the wheels are absolutely legit. But it's a lame to walk into someones party and proceed to tell everyone how dumb the party is. I think we're dealing with the realities of some shitty design flaws as best we can. I agree that it sucks that we have to mod just to get it to what's advertised. But as far as I can tell, all other wheels that claim trail agility are also failing in significant areas. The Extreme at least, appears to be the only wheel that can actually achieve what's advertised with a couple relatively easy mods.

The others don't even have that. There's no easy mod one can do for the Patton or V14 to give it an extra 50% of suspension travel. That is my personal feature bias that leaves me with nothing left but the Extreme. And I feel like I'm disappointingly settling here because Begode repeatedly fails at mechanical engineering and I'm tired of that crap when all they need to do is hire a couple decent mechanical engineers. While the Extreme is certainly an iterative improvement, it still seem to be full of pervasive oversights and lack of calculation. They are painstakingly evolving by trial and error instead of educated intelligence and modern product testing methods.

Yet here I am, probably going to buy it soon because it's the only one users consistently report handles wonderfully (after mods) and isn't stuck with street specs on suspension (after mods).

Edited by SoleCycle
  • Like 2