Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

40 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

If you believe manufacturers improvised marketing, its already a big error from the start. A wheel is a wheel, only the specs matter. I ride the extreme in nyc, best city wheel ever. If i believed their hardcore trail riding "marketing" i would never have got this wheel and therefore missed one of the best street riding wheel ive tested. Begode has also marketed for a while their most powerful wheels with riders using them at 15mph...Should we trust that marketing and think these were slow wheels for slow riders?  Manufacturers have no idea, they just throw stuff at the wall and try to see what sticks. It's up to the riders to try to decipher this with the specs and see if the wheel fits a sought use case. 

Now again im not saying they shouldn't improve. But maybe managing expectations in a reasonable way. 

That is a really strange perspective, it's obvious that their target audience with this wheel was riders who like to off-road, both from a design, marketing and in-house testing perspective, if they had competent designers who could make a better linkage and make components such as the one that broke more durable then they would even have succeeded.

I don't think anyone looking to choose a city and street wheel would look towards the Extreme as their first choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

That is a really strange perspective, it's obvious that their target audience with this wheel was riders who like to off-road, both from a design, marketing and in-house testing perspective, if they had competent designers who could make a better linkage and make components such as the one that broke more durable then they would even have succeeded.

I don't think anyone looking to choose a city and street wheel would look towards the Extreme as their first choice.

I already explained you about Manufacturers random way to market their products on my previous post, and the importance to look at specs instead of "marketing". yet you flag this as weird. Here is an example from begode :

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid01UnfXf5JFZSXcvx39bP7q53jtcvMhqkayNxLtAGMHVGxG4wwVo6LciGHgJ7Te2Dfl&id=100087677374399&mibextid=Nif5oz

Should i take this marketing content posted by a Begode sales staff for face value and consider some of these wheels for a slow riding cute use? Obviously not. This video was a randomly thought (poor) act of marketing, that didn't follow a clear message aligned with some of the products. Hence the importance to disconnect ourselves from this and focus on specs instead. 

Feel free to continue believing in euc manufacturers marketing, and maintain the frustration on these devices. Does that wheel work fine when its used within its means? Does it perform outstandingly? Is it stable at high speed? Is the enjoy factor satisfactory? If yes then im good. So the Extreme to me checked all these characteristics

Ps: at least 3 extreme riders in nyc, none of them for a trails use 😅

Edited by Ronin Ryder

49 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

I already explained you about Manufacturers random way to market their products on my previous post, and the importance to look at specs instead of "marketing". yet you flag this as weird. Here is an example from begode :

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid01UnfXf5JFZSXcvx39bP7q53jtcvMhqkayNxLtAGMHVGxG4wwVo6LciGHgJ7Te2Dfl&id=100087677374399&mibextid=Nif5oz

Should i take this marketing content posted by a Begode sales staff for face value and consider some of these wheels for a slow riding cute use? Obviously not. This video was a randomly thought (poor) act of marketing, that didn't follow a clear message aligned with some of the products. Hence the importance to disconnect ourselves from this and focus on specs instead. 

Feel free to continue believing in euc manufacturers marketing, and maintain the frustration on these devices. Does that wheel work fine when its used within its means? Does it perform outstandingly? Is it stable at high speed? Is the enjoy factor satisfactory? If yes then im good. So the Extreme to me checked all these characteristics

Ps: at least 3 extreme riders in nyc, none of them for a trails use 😅

I get what you are saying about not falling for the marketing... And some people are very happy with this wheel which is all fair! 

but what do specs have to do with the durability of the wheel and the performance of the suspension and things like that?

Actually if one was to go by the specs for the suspension and how the wheel is made on paper.. this wheel should be a really good buy for someone wanting to offroad and trail ride.  Marketing aside. Unless I am missing something here. 

Not trying to go against anyone here.. but just feel blaming the consumer is not fair in this case.. (or in any case honestly)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I get what you are saying about not falling for the marketing... And some people are very happy with this wheel which is all fair! 

but what do specs have to do with the durability of the wheel and the performance of the suspension and things like that?

Actually if one was to go by the specs for the suspension and how the wheel is made on paper.. this wheel should be a really good buy for someone wanting to offroad and trail ride.  Marketing aside. Unless I am missing something here. 

Not trying to go against anyone here.. but just feel blaming the consumer is not fair in this case.. (or in any case honestly)

I never blamed any consumer. Where did i say this? I just said lets be realist about what we expect about a wheel when the 260lbs rider was complaining about breaking his wheel after doing hardcore trails on a 16" tiny wheel (extreme), and as a result said rider implied begode wheels were garbage. I was just speechless 😅. I wont fall into the "they must do better" bandwagon when a wheel is misused. 

I then gave inputs into taking with a grain of salt wheels manufacturers marketing because that was what was given to me as an explainer. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ronin Ryder said:

I never blamed any consumer. Where did i say this? I just said lets be realist about what we expect about a wheel when the 260lbs rider was complaining about breaking his wheel after doing hardcore trails on a 16" tiny wheel (extreme), and as a result said rider implied begode wheels were garbage. I was just speechless 😅. I wont fall into the "they must do better" bandwagon when a wheel is misused. 

I then gave inputs into taking with a grain of salt wheels manufacturers marketing because that was what was given to me as an explainer. 

Fair enough. I took your post a bit in the wrong direction. 

I will say while I feel the criticism of this wheel may be a bit over done, and I personally don't think its a bad wheel. It is of no surprise that this wheel has a lot of people looking to rip it apart. It gathered quite a bit of bad vibes before release. 

I wouldn't call this wheel tiny though.. while not relevant to the argument of a 260lb rider beating the crap out of it, its def not tiny. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 10:43 PM, Rawnei said:

Well I say I completely disagree with you, manufacturers need to be held to a higher standard, specially how they market their wheels. 😅

oh really? i see you follow double standards way.

look how v14 is falling apart on offroad cause of plastics everywhere and its suspension doesnt work as intended, how about its burned controller and poor quality motor winding? inmotional innovation damage? 3A charger is okay? crappy pedals? they even cut all landing moments in promo videos cause it sucks

how about s16 that is bending even at thailand low weight riders?

why dont you ask them to follow higher standards

s16-1.png

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

oh really? i see you follow double standards way.

look how v14 is falling apart on offroad cause of plastics everywhere and its suspension doesnt work as intended, how about its burned controller and poor quality motor winding? inmotional innovation damage? 3A charger is okay? crappy pedals? they even cut all landing moments in promo videos cause it sucks

how about s16 that is bending even at thailand low weight riders?

why dont you ask them to follow higher standards

s16-1.png

And why exactly are you directing this to me?

Seems to me from your post history that you're going out of your way to be rude to random people on this forum for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@ORDO NOVUS

Since this is a thread on the Begode Extreme, let's take a look at the design of the shock actuation linkage, specifically, the width of the pin that is used to mount the the shock in the linkage.

Noticed Kingsong like all other mtb and motorcycle manufacturers shape the links so that the shock mounting width is reasonably wide.

Now take a look at the Extreme. Begode, which used straight links. As a result, the width is crazy wide. Hence, the bending stress at the middle where the shock eyelet is located is too high, causing plastic deformation. That is a design flaw.

Consequently, Begode had to used a custom shock.

If you go back up a couple of posts above, see that the S16 uses basically the exact design as the S22, and the S22/Pro is a proven jumper.

Get this, the Begode Extreme is marketed as a wheel for extreme off-road use. Note that the S16 is primarily marketed as a beginner or 2nd wheel. And the price reflects that. Which wheel did Mike Leahy use to make those huge jumps? Well, it ain't the Extreme. Though, the same basic design is used in the S16.

Unfortunately, the design of some design elements in the Begode Extreme fell short. Along with the 900 lbs coil spring debacle, and the suspension linkage that owners feel they need to be replaced, where are the suspension engineers?

I agree that the Extreme has potential, but for serious off-roading, after unboxing, there will be riders who will feel the need to mod it to make it better for extreme off-road use. Yet we have not seen any third party suspension linkage for the S22/Pro.

That is not to say that the Extreme is not a capable wheel. There appears to happy owners. But the Extreme isn't known to have the best suspension design.

You go out of your way to slander suspension designs of euc's, yet you don't point out the flaws in the Extreme.

maxresdefault.jpg

398927118_765061102300275_83866079950279

Edited by techyiam

On 12/9/2023 at 11:51 PM, techyiam said:

@ORDO NOVUS

Since this is a thread on the Begode Extreme, let's take a look at the design of the shock actuation linkage, specifically, the width of the pin that is used to mount the the shock in the linkage.

Noticed Kingsong like all other mtb and motorcycle manufacturers shape the links so that the shock mounting width is reasonably wide.

Now take a look at the Extreme. Begode, which used straight links. As a result, the width is crazy wide. Hence, the bending stress at the middle where the shock eyelet is located is too high, causing plastic deformation. That is a design flaw.

Consequently, Begode had to used a custom shock.

If you go back up a couple of posts above, see that the S16 uses basically the exact design as the S22, and the S22/Pro is a proven jumper.

Get this, the Begode Extreme is marketed as a wheel for extreme off-road use. Note that the S16 is primarily marketed as a beginner or 2nd wheel. And the price reflects that. Which wheel did Mike Leahy use to make those huge jumps? Well, it ain't the Extreme. Though, the same basic design is used in the S16.

Unfortunately, the design of some design elements in the Begode Extreme fell short. Along with the 900 lbs coil spring debacle, and the suspension linkage that owners feel they need to be replaced, where are the suspension engineers?

I agree that the Extreme has potential, but for serious off-roading, after unboxing, there will be riders who will feel the need to mod it to make it better for extreme off-road use. Yet we have not seen any third party suspension linkage for the S22/Pro.

That is not to say that the Extreme is not a capable wheel. There appears to happy owners. But the Extreme isn't known to have the best suspension design.

You go out of your way to slander suspension designs of euc's, yet you don't point out the flaws in the Extreme.

maxresdefault.jpg

398927118_765061102300275_83866079950279

nope, s16 chasis is softer even than at s18 and by design is deadly flawed wheel in all points, dont compare any wheel with it.

width of linkage at extreme is a design flaw. with modified stanchions and linkage, extreme will be best linkage suspension 16" wheel. period

2 hours ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

width of linkage at extreme is a design flaw. with modified stanchions and linkage, extreme will be best linkage suspension 16" wheel. period

Which makes you a hypocrite since you bought an Extreme anyways, and supported a company that makes a subpar suspension, which need to be replaced by the owners. You failed to teach the manufacturers a lesson by buying one.

I look forward to hearing about your ultimate 16" linkage suspension wheel when it is done.

Edited by techyiam
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Which makes you a hypocrite since you bought an Extreme anyways, and supported a company that makes a subpar suspension, which need to be replaced by the owners. You failed to teach the manufacturers a lesson by buying one.

I look forward to hearing about your ultimate 16" linkage suspension wheel when it is done.

you dont know preorder price of mine that allows me to change whatever i want and buy aftermarket stuff to make everything better than you can imagine, cause there no good suspension customizers in canada :)

so saying bs and knowing no facts makes you  a hypocrite  

3 hours ago, litewave said:

@ORDO NOVUS  - how about you tell us all the great things regarding your Extreme? Got any vids? I would love to hear from riders/owners like you about your experiences, since I am lusting for one with 50s batteries.

Thanks.

not using it yet because everything is covered with high snow now and even basic protection covers are not installed yet.

Front handle need to be redesigned from scratch to be a bit extended a bit forward but it will be later - as for now lateral handle protection is almost ready. Also have made silicon cover for handle, cause it is cold and uncomfortable to hold metal 

Mudguard need to be redesigned but its configuration depends on pads position, so still testing with it.

Also saw in tg that hou ningning made custom stanchions for extreme.

31.png

32.png

33.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

Mudguard need to be redesigned but its configuration depends on pads position, so still testing with it.

I guess you will figure it out once you test it.

But from the photo, although the non-matellic material used looks sturdy, because of the length, it may not be rigid enough.

Since the fender is a cantilever, as the fender approach the end, it doesn't need to be as rigid or strong. Lighter would be helpful..

Is there a reason why you don't use deeper skirts?

In the end, I suspect without end supports, such long fenders. it would be difficult to make rigid.

Edited by techyiam

56 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I guess you will figure it out once you test it.

But from the photo, although the non-matellic material used looks sturdy, because of the length, it may not be rigid enough.

Since the fender is a cantilever, as the fender approach the end, it doesn't need to be as rigid or strong. Lighter would be helpful..

Is there a reason why you don't use deeper skirts?

In the end, I suspect without end supports, such long fenders. it would be difficult to make rigid.

These two are just variants of rapidly improvised mudguards. There will be end supports i suppose and whole construction likely will consist of segments with the last one made with tpu or silicone.

bigger skirt need other technology, smthing like composites or similar stuff like that, yet unfamiliar to me. anyway i ll try to make models available worldwide for a small price.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:20 PM, techyiam said:

I know of one person, me.

I have mentioned this in one of my earlier posts. Extreme was one of the wheels on my short list.

I didn't like the Commander Mini after a brief up and down in a parking lot, so that was out.

The Master was heavily discounted, but after unboxing, I would still have to mod it, so that was out. And I didn't have a chance to test one out.

The S19 also was in the running too.

In the end, I bet the farm on the S22 even though it would also need modding after unboxing. However, I was able to test ride this one, and I liked it's chassis dynamics, as well as its cornering dynamics on a Intro2Speed cone track.

Had I test rode the Extreme and the S19 prior to pulling the trigger on the S22, I could have ended up with the Extreme, or the S19.

Patton looked the best but cost the most. So I considered it. But, if I were going to pay that much, I thought it was best to wait for the V14, as well as the Lynx. So, in the end, I consider this group to be the candidates for my next, next wheel.

Well said!

FWIW, I've had most of those and still have S22 and Extreme with yet more extreme tires.    The S22 is notably less weight than many same-size diameter wheels without the suspension travel.  

And As for the Extreme, with a few mods like a knobby, here!  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Well said!

FWIW, I've had most of those and still have S22 and Extreme with yet more extreme tires.    The S22 is notably less weight than many same-size diameter wheels without the suspension travel.  

And As for the Extreme, with a few mods like a knobby, here!  

those roller wheels are a damn good idea for backlight protection, will try to make something similar but seat shoud be extended a bit to cover them

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 12:10 PM, PurpleRiderUSA said:

Is it advised to install a rear handle or can you pick up the Extreme with the stock set up? What other upgrades or changes do you think the Begode Extreme benefits from aside from possible tire change? 

I experimented with a rear handle a little.  But in the end as I'm using the wheel including bringing it in my car on ride-trips... I have a 1/2"x2"x5' bedrail I use for a ramp into my trunk.  So even though I could lift it I rarely do.  That's when I'm lifting it onto the workbench or something unusual... and for that grabbing it by the shock, pedal, etc... not like a handle would help.  Same with what came stock on the front... it was just in the way. 

On 12/16/2023 at 6:22 PM, ORDO NOVUS said:

those roller wheels are a damn good idea for backlight protection, will try to make something similar but seat shoud be extended a bit to cover them

Thanks!  Though for me its not about protection but rather just being able to roll it around.  Funny that in the trunk of my car I have to fill the space between the seat and the back or it rolls whenever I break/accelerate and yea THUMP.  :D 

On 12/24/2023 at 12:10 PM, PurpleRiderUSA said:

Is it advised to install a rear handle or can you pick up the Extreme with the stock set up? What other upgrades or changes do you think the Begode Extreme benefits from aside from possible tire change? 

You might want to be careful about using the speaker as a rear handle, when dropping it back on the ground with your hand still wrapped around it there is a chance of pinching your fingers with suspension. After smashing my fingers I made an extended rear handle and its really nice to use.  One unexpected benefit, its really easy to roll down stairs with it. 

There are lots of upgrades out there but most are personal preference but I would say pads then tire.  You'll have to be careful with the tire install because if its off to one side you can have rubbing on the inner slider area.  Its possible to take a flap disc and clearance the inside of the slider if needed.

20231102_152635.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the new extreme begode shock (with the orange spring), is there a way to swap the spring without having to remove the whole shock? Installed the 900lbs one and it feels softer than the 850lbs dnm one i had before... Not super impressed...