Begode Extreme 2400wh: 134V, 16", Suspension, 77lb

Ecodrifts teardown suggests an interesting reason to why motors are susceptible to moisture ingress irrespective of the manufacturer and also illustrates how Begode is improving or tweaking its designs. At least with all the different models release by them, many share very similar or the same components which will make spare parts easier to come by and to service. Recommend a watch even if just to judge what the build quality of futures wheels might be like by them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Ecodrifts teardown suggests an interesting reason to why motors are susceptible to moisture ingress irrespective of the manufacturer and also illustrates how Begode is improving or tweaking its designs. At least with all the different models release by them, many share very similar or the same components which will make spare parts easier to come by and to service. Recommend a watch even if just to judge what the build quality of futures wheels might be like by them.

I've seen that explanation before and I'm not sure I agree with it, it does not explain why many motors does not get water ingress, if temperature changes was the reason and breather was the solution then all motors without breather would get moisture in them during winter but they don't. Also people get bearing problems in the summer riding when it's wet out.

I think adding a lip before the seal on the motorcover like as on the S22 Pro GF motor is a pretty good way of preventing water dripping right onto the seal and thus risking getting further in, also applying plenty of marine grease behind and around the seal is probably important also.

Example what I'm talking about I think all manufacturers should aim for something similar:

image.thumb.jpeg.0d3ae263be6aca3d89d034e24ffa34d1.jpeg

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

Regarding Eco Drift's Begode Extreme Teardown Video, it looks like Begode is continuing to improve build quality, and still manage to coming out with a number of new models in rapid succession.

Begode is seemingly very serious about competing in the euc market as a whole.

The Extreme for the most part look to be competitive, quality wise.

However, the sliders and linkage is still their weakest links in the chain, IMO.

• Like 2

@Rawnei I think your suggestions are very sound and makes sense to do. It is a strange one. My S18 is holding up fine bearing wise and is used all year on many wet days and dry (4000miles), through puddles etc. Then other models have supposedly waterproof motors (EX30, Sherman models) but we still hear of isolated bearing issues and water ingress.

Maybe there is more than one reason why it can happen and if you experience more than one of them it increases the risk. Or maybe we just get lucky with how well the motor/seals etc are put together/manufactured for our individual wheel. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Brahan Seer said:

@Rawnei I think your suggestions are very sound and makes sense to do. It is a strange one. My S18 is holding up fine bearing wise and is used all year on many wet days and dry (4000miles), through puddles etc. Then other models have supposedly waterproof motors (EX30, Sherman models) but we still hear of isolated bearing issues and water ingress.

Maybe there is more than one reason why it can happen and if you experience more than one of them it increases the risk. Or maybe we just get lucky with how well the motor/seals etc are put together/manufactured for our individual wheel. 

I don't think the waterproofing on the EX30 (and extreme motor) is that effective, both local ex30 owners got busted bearings this autumn before winter started, first the seal is very thin before water potentially reaches bearing and it's possible that they aren't using enough grease from factory between seal and bearing also, but it's just speculation from my part.

Edited by Rawnei

12 hours ago, Julianjc84 said:

Screenshot_2024-01-20-07-27-51-26_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.thumb.jpg.653365e0de278b35d9220fe162ceb67b.jpg

Overpacking a bearing will course issues, add a seal before the bearing and overpack that. Leave a gap between the seal and the bearing, so the bearing is not flooded with grease.

2 hours ago, timmytool said:

Overpacking a bearing will course issues, add a seal before the bearing and overpack that. Leave a gap between the seal and the bearing, so the bearing is not flooded with grease.

It didn't cause issues with mine ! (9 months since re-greasing fixed knocking noise). I filled mine to the max with marine grease, and it's been great ever since !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, timmytool said:

The seals are so loose. Any over packing just oozes out the seal lip. If the grease can ooze out no problem without popping off the seal. Its no wonder everyone I know, and myself have had bearing issues with the Begode wheels from water ingress. My v11 Suffered the same fate too. My preference is to have grease oozing out the seals than have water seeping in.

9 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It didn't cause issues with mine ! (9 months since re-greasing fixed knocking noise). I filled mine to the max with marine grease, and it's been great ever since !

Same boat brother and I like to hit water and puddles. I will see how this master goes. Wish I did it to my T4 day 1.

Edited by Julianjc84
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:23 PM, The Brahan Seer said:

s18 bearings are holding up fine because they are much smaller. New motors have big massive bearings (they do not have a thin steel axle anymore). And the big ones leak thru the seals much easier as they are bigger.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

Just 've made front handle protection. But anyway later on it is better to made custom cnc front handle, because default one interferes with knees while accelerating

total.png

Which filament and print parameters did you use? 

For those of us who do not (yet) own an Extreme, exactly what part interferes with accelerating? Perhaps you could draw a circle around the problem area in one of your photos.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, litewave said:

Which filament and print parameters did you use? 

For those of us who do not (yet) own an Extreme, exactly what part interferes with accelerating? Perhaps you could draw a circle around the problem area in one of your photos.

Thank you.

petg, infill 15%,4rows of wall. it can be just snapped-on without any disassembling. if you are using leat dual axis for example, knee part interferes with upper part of the handle that is bent back. this minor issue was talked about almost all of bloggers. it is minor stuff that cant spoil overall flavour of this wheel that has good potential but needs some improvements

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ORDO NOVUS said:

petg, infill 15%,4rows of wall. it can be just snapped-on without any disassembling. if you are using leat dual axis for example, knee part interferes with upper part of the handle that is bent back. this minor issue was talked about almost all of bloggers. it is minor stuff that cant spoil overall flavour of this wheel that has good potential but needs some improvements

Thanks, but I rely on a few YT channels and this website to stay informed about EUC issues and news. Can you recommend 1-2 blogs that you follow?

On 1/20/2024 at 2:43 PM, Cerbera said:

Well I shouldn't have said that - on the very next ride I was disappointed to find my krnk-y knocking noise was back, after nearly 10 months without it, so looks like it's time for another re-grease or even new bearings. Will be interesting to see what the state of the bearings is now since I haven't re-opened them since the re-grease. Will post pics in my Master thread when I get round to it...

Edited by Cerbera

Hello extreme riders - I wanted to buy Lynx but waiting for wheel would be longer than 3 months.

Looking at extreme like 2nd cheaper variant. How wheel feel after some time ? Would you guys get it again ?

20 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

Hello extreme riders - I wanted to buy Lynx but waiting for wheel would be longer than 3 months.

Looking at extreme like 2nd cheaper variant. How wheel feel after some time ? Would you guys get it again ?

Its an absolute blast off-road but can sometimes have a disadvantage in vertical climbing compared to a  20" wheel.  Super fun on the street and torquey enough to have a blast up to low 40s.  Its very easy to work on and is very durable, I over torqued mine at 45mph, slid for 115 feet and rode trails the next day.   The aftermarket is growing everyday and the smart BMS works great and keeps everything very well balanced.  Would buy again but it was an awesome value at $2300

Edited by Vince.Fab
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

Why did you sold your Master? What would Extreme give you that the Master didn't?

4 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Why did you sold your Master? What would Extreme give you that the Master didn't?

Personal stupidity ... that wheel was keeper. It still rides till this day. Cannot say same about T4 :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 10:12 AM, EMA said:

wheel finally arrived :ph34r:

How are you liking it so far??

I just put my first 100 miles / 160 km on mine and I'm really loving it so far. 

Torque and power is phenomenal and having suspension is so nice. 

On 2/11/2024 at 6:14 AM, PurpleRiderUSA said:

How are you liking it so far??

I just put my first 100 miles / 160 km on mine and I'm really loving it so far. 

Torque and power is phenomenal and having suspension is so nice. 

really impressed by the wheel overall, crazy solid and well build.

it rides really easy with no effort, feels like a master with a lower gear and slightly lower pedals. 
Still didn't take the wheel to real trails, actually on the bench for some mods, will be ready in a few days.

ps: my unit has a broken shock (rebound locked in slowest position)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

done yesterday the first ride with my prototype link, absolutely nuts :efee6b18f3:

do someone have done some mods to the battery cases ? they are too heavy for my liking

Edited by EMA
  • Like 1