The right foot pedal (shown on the left in the photo) seems to have lost its dihedral in comparison to the opposite side one. 

It’s maybe a good thing for some that it can be repaired fairly easily, for others the build ‘quality’ of the chassis seems to be critically weak, like they used too thin a gauge of soup tin for the frame. I had been mildly curious about the Mten3, not at all in this replacement, and respect both Denis and Ronin’s evaluations of both this and other wheels, I’ve found them to be pretty open minded and unbiased in their reviews. 

I’m not clear why anyone would want to pay so much for a toy given its lack of chassis rigidity, let alone all the other considerations which I find unappealing, the cost asked would make for a decent deposit on a real wheel, but as Ronin says, if you fancy it and want it, go for it, by all means.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I did watch that begode video of it being kicked all over the place and surviving fine, but as Denis Hagov rightly predicted, that case is weak.

look at the shear on that ! :/

I read that article.  The scenario I see causing this is the rider said he got wobbles and one foot came off the pedal I assume the other foot stayed on long enough for the wheel to bash the top of the wheel against the riders remaining leg [along with what may have been violent wobbles].  After reading this I have three take aways... one, keep an eye for wobbles.  It is easy to catch a wobble on this thing at speed.  Two I changed out my pedals with spikes, these pedals are slick.  Three I will not do any one footed riding on this wheel as the sideways stress may deform the frame.

26 minutes ago, d3fault said:

does the mten4 have active or passive cell balancing? I just got mine and love it

No EUC to date has had active cell balancing, and I bet my life on it that Mten isn't the one to introduce the feature...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

No EUC to date has had active cell balancing, and I bet my life on it that Mten isn't the one to introduce the feature...

i thought v13 has cell balancing? 

7 hours ago, 360rumors said:

i thought v13 has cell balancing?

As far as i know, all EUCs (except possibly the early era toys) have cell balancing. The packs tend to fail way early if balancing is disabled (*).

But the question was wether it had active or passive cell balancing. No EUC as of yet has advertised or is known to have active cell balancing that would balance the cells at all stages of the charging process. They all have a very basic passive top balancing system only.

(*) Passive top balancing only works properly if you charge to full + 1-2 hours. It doesn't balance at all if you unplug the charger at 90% or below. If you never let the cells balance, you can expect only 30-60 charge cycles until the packs start to fail. With proper balancing, you get ten times as much lifetime, and the packs still  don't usually fail. The range just gets a bit shorter and performance gets lower.

• Upvote 1

On 10/20/2022 at 6:14 AM, Stanor said:

what is the correct tire pressure?  
it was delivered to me with 24 Psi (1.67 Bar)

That's the thing - there are no wrong answer. (Ofc if you don't count 0 psi.) :D

Heavier rider normally needs more PSI. But same time if you don't jump curbs or go off-road. You can make tire "softer".

25-35 PSI go nuts.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:04 AM, mrelwood said:

If you never let the cells balance, you can expect only 30-60 charge cycles until the packs start to fail.

With quality cells and good construction, they'll stay balanced for a very long time.  
There has been tests with top samsung, etc cells.  And they keep within .005v from the same manufacturing batch even after 100 cycles  

Its the lesser quality cells that drift more as you cycle them

21 hours ago, Murdomeek said:

With quality cells and good construction, they'll stay balanced for a very long time.

Sure. As long as they are tightly balanced to begin with. None of which seems to fit EUCs all that well.

Another thing is that on EUCs the different cells operate in different temperature conditions, which is well known to change the cells performance, voltage drop, internal resistance, capacity, etc. So even perfectly matched cells will drift much earlier than they do in a lab setting.

21 hours ago, Murdomeek said:

Its the lesser quality cells that drift more as you cycle them

Whether or not some EUC manufacturers use second rate cells is not known.

What is known though is that there are more than a dozen separate threads on our forum where people discuss their wheels that don’t charge to full. The only situations it can happen at are a few buggy firmware versions (long ago fixed), and way more commonly, cells so badly balanced that the BMS is forced to terminate the charging as a safety feature so that the highest cells don’t go above 4.2V. The balancing function in EUCs is not effective enough to repair but the mildest of those cases.

The balancing function exists for a grave reason.

• Upvote 2

Is there any confirmation that there is, or isn't, an availible 2 pin connector on the board, for a lift switch aka motor kill switch. Like how the mten3 always had, and wassnt used untill later versions.

FYI, buyer beware, Hsiang bricked his mten4 trying to upgrade the firmware, and apparently it needs a lift switch button press sequence (5 times) to reset the firmware, being that it doesnt come with one, has apparently been a big problem. not sure if his firmware upgrade failed because internet connection was interupted mid update, so i dont know how prevailant this issue is, or if the latest firmware upgrade will brick your wheel no matter what. he said it "hung halfway" through updating. 

Has anyone successfully update their Mten4 firmware?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZweemZ said:

Is there any confirmation that there is, or isn't, an availible 2 pin connector on the board, for a lift switch aka motor kill switch. Like how the mten3 always had, and wassnt used untill later versions.

FYI, buyer beware, Hsiang bricked his mten4 trying to upgrade the firmware, and apparently it needs a lift switch button press sequence (5 times) to reset the firmware, being that it doesnt come with one, has apparently been a big problem. not sure if his firmware upgrade failed because internet connection was interupted mid update, so i dont know how prevailant this issue is, or if the latest firmware upgrade will brick your wheel no matter what. he said it "hung halfway" through updating. 

Has anyone successfully update their Mten4 firmware?

I'm also interested to know this, if there is one then I can certainly see myself doing a quick and easy mod. That seems like an essential quality of life upgrade.

the link below is a post on FB of someones "spin kill button" mod, but they haven't replied to questions, but I am wondering if his spin kill button functions simply as a power button, it seems that way to me, perhaps its just running in series with the power button. the button presses differently than a classic spin kill button, one clik seems to enguage, and second click disenguages

https://www.facebook.com/775503808/videos/3345567009062546/

Also, im looking at this picture of the board, and I dont see the usual purple 2pin connector port for a spin kill, we'd just need someone to give it a thourough look and confirm it actually isnt there

May be an image of indoor

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a DM from the guy who posted the above spinkill mod on FB... apparently this is where the spinkill port should be installed, and it requires the firmare to be updated. all i can decypher, from this picture, no other text in the DM

image.thumb.jpeg.89025789b23a9c12f6cd8d1f74daf8cd.jpeg

Got my Mten4 a month ago and just now getting a chance to ride it.

SO. MUCH. FUN.

A couple of quirks/quibbles, but a blast overall. Solid build. SUPER Portable. Lots of zip. I'm 6', 220 lbs and it doesn't seem to care. It may be pint sized and tossable, but it's more than a toy.

Soft mode is better than Hard mode. I feel like I'll learn to ride backwards and pendulum quicker on the Mten4 because of low COG.

Alien Rides says trolley handles are coming...

LOVE THIS WHEEL.

• Like 2

Hey UPONIT, I also have the V-11 and have interest in getting the MTen4. But the road that I mostly use the wheel on is bumpy paved road that the V-11 can handle... and I am afraid that with the lower pedal height on the MTen4 I will regret. Are the MTen4 pedals in comparison to the V-11 a lot closer to the ground? Thanks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, conecones said:

*SAFETY PSA*

Not sure exactly how widespread this is, but the first batch of MTen4's have a fairly serious problem where the battery connector can disconnect during use, leading to instant cut-out

NO more CUTOUTS? Mten4 Begode CONNECTOR FIX!

pYizSoiRyuBdLiT0K6l3pNbM2xVKO0EK11RbVh8Y
Oct 31, 2022

Hello all you beautiful people and welcome back to the channel!
Where honest unbiased reviews are what we know best aside from making parts for you and your beloved wheel!
Enjoy this quick overview of the mten4 connector fix or the "Clip Fix" I'm calling it.

I designed this to prevent the connector separation issue many of you including myself have been dealing with.
These will be provided at no cost!
Just reach out to me to send me payment for shipping and I'll get it out to you!

Drop a comment below or reach out via my facebook.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, jmsjms said:

Hey UPONIT, I also have the V-11 and have interest in getting the MTen4. But the road that I mostly use the wheel on is bumpy paved road that the V-11 can handle... and I am afraid that with the lower pedal height on the MTen4 I will regret. Are the MTen4 pedals in comparison to the V-11 a lot closer to the ground? Thanks.

Yes they are lower. (Even with the air out of the V11's suspension, which is how I sometimes ride it.) There are plenty of videos of riders doing super-tight loops and spins without pedal scraping, if that's what your concern is. I'm not skilled enough yet to make like an ice-skater on it, but I haven't had a scrape so far.

If the road you ride is bumpy, you WILL feel every bump. :DBut in a good way, if that makes sense? Chooch Tech's video of him taking the Mten4 on a MTB Trail is a great representation of this...

Now if the $%#^ trolley handles would just get here already :furious:...

Edited by UPONIT
brain re-engaged...

15 hours ago, conecones said:

*SAFETY PSA*

Not sure exactly how widespread this is, but the first batch of MTen4's have a fairly serious problem where the battery connector can disconnect during use, leading to instant cut-out. This has been discussed in the Facebook group, but I just want to send out a reminder here as well. The cause is potentially from too much tension on the cable, and not everyone's connector is prone to coming out. However, in our local group, we already had one cut-out and multiple owners reported the connector consistently coming loose.

Proposed solutions have been to use silicone or glue, but I have also designed a 3D printed cover that will solve this issue and has been tested to work. Please spread the word to new owners.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5600589

Mine hadn't loosened, but I potted it in epoxy paste. 6 screws, epoxy, done.