15 hours ago, conecones said:

*SAFETY PSA*

Not sure exactly how widespread this is, but the first batch of MTen4's have a fairly serious problem where the battery connector can disconnect during use, leading to instant cut-out. This has been discussed in the Facebook group, but I just want to send out a reminder here as well. The cause is potentially from too much tension on the cable, and not everyone's connector is prone to coming out. However, in our local group, we already had one cut-out and multiple owners reported the connector consistently coming loose.

Proposed solutions have been to use silicone or glue, but I have also designed a 3D printed cover that will solve this issue and has been tested to work. Please spread the word to new owners.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5600589

Really cool of you to design the clip and make the file available!

Now if only I had a 3D printer...

21 hours ago, conecones said:

*SAFETY PSA*

Not sure exactly how widespread this is, but the first batch of MTen4's have a fairly serious problem where the battery connector can disconnect during use, leading to instant cut-out. This has been discussed in the Facebook group, but I just want to send out a reminder here as well. The cause is potentially from too much tension on the cable, and not everyone's connector is prone to coming out. However, in our local group, we already had one cut-out and multiple owners reported the connector consistently coming loose.

Proposed solutions have been to use silicone or glue, but I have also designed a 3D printed cover that will solve this issue and has been tested to work. Please spread the word to new owners.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5600589

I feel lucky because mine hasn't budged one bit, but I'll probably put one of these covers on next time I have the wheel open anyway. Thank you for sharing the file!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

I just switched my mten4 tire to a full slick, but that tire looks awesome! I know what tire I am going to try next once this slick tire wears out6a9fWUu.jpg

the slick tire does look pretty slick!

I changed my knobby to a street tire for a few days, but I changed it back to the knobby. Each has its pros and cons. The knobby is actually a lot less squirrely and skittish than the street. Turning isn't as nimble, but with the knobby at 35psi instead of 50, I think I may have backward riding figured out this century...:blink1:

With some nice inch-thick neoprene foam pads along the top edges, I can finally mount the little sucker without hanging onto an overhead bar to keep my shins from being peeled to the bone. :roflmao:

I really do like this wheel. It's weird and scrappy.

Edited by UPONIT
Why not?
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UPONIT said:

Does anyone have any idea when trolley handles will be available from a North American distributor?

I doubt anyone can know that for sure, other than the retailers themselves (you could always email them to ask), but I would imagine soon. Keep in mind that not all North American distributors even have the mten4's themselves in yet! (ewheels comes to mind as a big example, they still haven't received their first batch)

4 hours ago, UPONIT said:

I'm not brave enough to buy from an AliExpress shop.

Honestly I would say give it a try; I may be hesitant for some large heavy thing like one of the new $4k wheels, but for something under a few hundred dollars I wouldn't even think twice.

I have bought many things on there over the last few years and have never had an issue, just be aware that sometimes the shipping can take a good while.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rebeuc said:

I doubt anyone can know that for sure, other than the retailers themselves (you could always email them to ask), but I would imagine soon. Keep in mind that not all North American distributors even have the mten4's themselves in yet! (ewheels comes to mind as a big example, they still haven't received their first batch)

Honestly I would say give it a try; I may be hesitant for some large heavy thing like one of the new $4k wheels, but for something under a few hundred dollars I wouldn't even think twice.

I have bought many things on there over the last few years and have never had an issue, just be aware that sometimes the shipping can take a good while.

OK. You convinced me. I prefer supporting my friendly neighborhood PEV store, but WTH...

Says it should be delivered by 12/20.

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, UPONIT said:

Got my trolley handle locally today. I like it. It's tall enough, collapses to the Mten's height, and makes the wheel sit at a better angle when parked.

It makes the Mten look like it has a jet pack! 🚀

20221115_110023.jpg

Edited by Clem604

2 hours ago, Clem604 said:

Just recently got in this yellow headlight surround from Hulaj Market. The inner diameter wasn't large enough to I had to cut it. At least it was cheap 😐

Looks good though. More minion-like :D.Are you going to change to the street tire? If you do, be cautious about the valve stem. (Ask how I know) It is a totally non-standard size and no one locally has it. I have to wait days. DAYS! lol. Also, I changed back to knobby because I end up cutting across grass/dirt/gravel more than I would have thought. The street tire is nice though. More zippy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

Looks good though. More minion-like :D.Are you going to change to the street tire? If you do, be cautious about the valve stem. (Ask how I know) It is a totally non-standard size and no one locally has it. I have to wait days. DAYS! lol. Also, I changed back to knobby because I end up cutting across grass/dirt/gravel more than I would have thought. The street tire is nice though. More zippy.

I will change it out to the street tire at some point as I ride 95% street. I hope it does cut down on some vibrations caused by the knobby tire. In terms of knobby tires though the stock one isn't bad but I just wish it rode a bit smoother.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clem604 said:

Just recently got in this yellow headlight surround from Hulaj Market. The inner diameter wasn't large enough to I had to cut it. At least it was cheap 😐

Hmm, even after removing the headlight's retaining ring, it didn't fit over the smaller threaded part? That's too bad.
I like the color scheme you have going, and you're making me want to get the trolley handle too, it would make this little thing even more convenient than it already is!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Hmm, even after removing the headlight's retaining ring, it didn't fit over the smaller threaded part? That's too bad.
I like the color scheme you have going, and you're making me want to get the trolley handle too, it would make this little thing even more convenient than it already is!

It does make it convenient. And it sits at a better angle because of the bottom of the handle acting as new feet. Don't know if you are near AR, but they have the trolley handle in stock for pickup, just not on the website yet.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Yeah i tried all the ways to get it to go on with no luck, including removing the retaining ring which is how you're supposed to install it. Oh well, it still looks decent I think .

10 hours ago, alexbrunoeuc said:

Has anyone already received a wheel from a later batch? Just curious what the changes really are (reinforced chasis, tire,...)?

ewheels still has not received them, and so far they are the only ones I have heard of in relation to these changes.

They sent out an email a week or so ago stating that their mten4's are on the following container ship:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/details/9324863

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rebeuc said:

ewheels still has not received them, and so far they are the only ones I have heard of in relation to these changes. 

Thank you for your answers 😊

My purse says 'no', my heart says 'do it' and my brain says 'wait'.

I just wonder if the chassis is really that weak... I mean look at chooch tech YT he is jumping with that thing. 

Chooch tech review

Reinforced sounds good to me but changing the look with that black padding and new tire is kinda sad. 

• Like 1

Just now, alexbrunoeuc said:

I just wonder if the chassis is really that weak... I mean look at chooch tech YT he is jumping with that thing. 

I think the issue with the original chassis was with bending sideways; as long as you bonked it into things in front or in the back it was not a problem, but if you bounced it sideways the entire frame could bend oddly.

1 minute ago, alexbrunoeuc said:

Reinforced sounds good to me but changing the look with that black padding and new tire is kinda sad. 

The tire choice is at your option; when you order at ewheels you can choose either the same knobby that every other retailer has, or the street tire which as far as I have seen ewheels is the first retailer to have.
(Other retailers like alienrides have a slick tire option, but I have not seen anything like the street tire ewheels is offering, which I only know about from photo in the email which was posted earlier in this thread)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't have a mten4 but for some reason I am super excited about this wheel. The convenience and fun factor is compelling to me.

To all owners out there, how do you like your wheel so far? Pros/cons? What do you like/dislike most about it?

Edited by BKW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BKW said:

I don't have a mten4 but for some reason I am super excited about this wheel. The convenience and fun factor is compelling to me.

To all owners out there, how do you like your wheel so far? Pros/cons? What do you like/dislike most about it?

What I like:

Size and portability

Range

Power

Fun Factor

What I don't like:

Knobby tire

Really cheap feeling stock pads

No kill switch

I love this little machine! Adding the spiked Begode pedals made the wheel even better.

20221115_110122.thumb.jpg.2a649e451b15d7840a87af23693aa6f2.jpg

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alexbrunoeuc said:

Chooch tech review

No the chassis isn't weak. I weigh 220 and believe me, I have to jump pretty hard to freemount the little sucker, and so far it's golden. I have no idea what kind of accident it would take to deform the chassis like in that picture. But I'm not an "extreme rider." I have sent it "rocketing energetically across the vast urban landscape" a few times...:D:wub:

1 hour ago, BKW said:

Like: Small. Minion-Looking. Lightweight. Zippy. Nimble. Simple Tire Change. Handy (esp with trolley handle). Will power on when not upright. Bright headlight. Interesting rear lights. If I had a commute, and it was in the Mten4's range, it would be great.

Dislike: Without added cushion, the top edge of the supplied pads is excruciatingly painful. Rear LED lights have 10 modes that I have yet to figure out. Squirrelly under certain maneuvering (rider error, but it's there). Emits some kind of high pitched sound that dogs hear and react to.

Dislike, then Like: The stock pedals seemed too slippery. Replaced with spiked pedals, which made it hard to emergency dismount. Solution: original pedals with very high dihedral angle. Easier to mount and dismount. Other solution: Alien Rides offers a CNC-spiking service on the original pedals. Seems like a good compromise between aggressive spikes and slippery originals, if you don't like high dihedral angles.

It's not for long cruising, climbing steep inclines, or jumping buses. But for its intended purpose, its fun and useful. I keep it in my truck all the time. Trolley handle is required IMHO.

Edited by UPONIT
pedal stuff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in Manhattan. For those who have ridden it, do you think it will be a good fit for the crowded city? I'm fairly experienced rider and  would stay in bike lane, but the streets here are crowded and often bad pavement conditions. I would say my intended purpose is for quick commutes around my apartment, and for tricking out nearby locations.

• Like 1