Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

When I planned to buy my Sherman S I read a lot about the asymmetric gaps on the two side of the tire problem. My Sherman had no issue like that, but two days ago I received the package from leaperkim and I changed all the screws and now I have the gap problem :) What did I wrong? How should I fix it?

13 minutes ago, fary86Hun said:

When I planned to buy my Sherman S I read a lot about the asymmetric gaps on the two side of the tire problem. My Sherman had no issue like that, but two days ago I received the package from leaperkim and I changed all the screws and now I have the gap problem :) What did I wrong? How should I fix it?

Try opening it up and re-tightening everything as it had been when you received it! :D

Joking apart, you may have to tighten the screws up little by little, keeping things as even as possible, if you can check each step by visual and audible  means (silence is golden) this may help. All assuming the screws are otherwise identical to the ones you replaced. If this fails, I’d be sending a message with pictures to Kevin at EUC UPGRADES (his YouTube channel), as he does a video on fixing this problem, but does not go into much detail about what he actually did in order to solve the problem. 

My Sherman s randomly reset itself last night, mileage back to zero and I had to redo all the ride settings back to what I had before. Anyone know if a software fix has been released yet? 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

My Sherman s randomly reset itself last night, mileage back to zero and I had to redo all the ride settings back to what I had before. Anyone know if a software fix has been released yet? 

Latest firmware 3.0.10 released recently fixed it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I received my batch 3 66lb Sherman-S and have been experiencing some unfortunate issues from the start.

I bought it from eWheels and it came with ~2.4 miles on on the machine out of the box, I presume from testing and QC.

It sat in my apartment for quite some time as I've been busy with work/life lately, but finally was able to take it out for a 0.6 mile first session — I'm brand new to EUCs and this is my first wheel, so this was an extremely light practice session in a tennis court on an entirely smooth surface where I didn't exceed 5mph at the most. I was riding it at factory suspension settings and it was never dropped or hit the ground. Unfortunately, the day after, I came to find a rather large puddle of shock oil pooled up under the EUC. It's only the left shock that is leaking, as there was no oil residue or weeping on the bottom of the right shock, but plenty on the bottom of the left.

I contacted eWheels and they are sending me a replacement left shock — unfortunately they only have 62lb replacements in stock, so its going to have to be special ordered from China. Asked them if it would be harmful to any other components of the wheel if I continued to practice riding it in a very mild manner while waiting for the replacement shock and they said that the damage is already done and should be limited to the faulty shock itself, so I've taken it out another 2-3 times for short stints in the tennis court to keep getting more comfortable with riding. I've since stopped doing so because the oil is still dripping out slowly and I don't want to stain up the tennis court that I'm practicing in.

Questions for the community:
- Has anyone else experienced a shock/seal malfunction out the gate with these? Will have to swap the shock myself once it gets here and I'm wondering what all else would be good to personally check for QC on the Sherman S that the factory may have botched or glossed over.
- Can a faulty shock/riding on a faulty shock hurt any other components assuming only light riding on a smooth surface at low speeds?

Edited by Kamber
  • Sad 3

I had my first crash on the Sherman S today. I was going down a steep hill at around 50-60km/h (too fast) and experienced the most violent speed wobbles I've ever experienced. I fell on my back and slid. I broke the kickstand, rear handle, rear fender, and my new tailight but the wheel still works fine. I later realized that I also put some cracks in the left side magnesium shell (front and back) as well so I'll have to get that replaced soon. Upon starting the wheel again I got a "no con " error and the wheel reset itself 😐

20230622_172751.thumb.jpg.7674af0b1215aa89ae79c23440cfbd21.jpg

SmartSelect_20230622_181556_Gallery.thumb.jpg.adde8570c3885beff942f7110e5d468b.jpg

SmartSelect_20230622_181619_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8613f036437f40699f5fc06e9538ccc0.jpg

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

25 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

Damn. Glad to hear you and the wheel are mostly ok. Hopefully you can get those parts before the longshoreman strike. 

I hope Eevees has the parts I need in stock. If they do I'll just bring it on down to their service center.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

I hope Eevees has the parts I need in stock, if they do I'll just bring it on down to their service center.

I'm very sorry to hear about mishap. I hope that your gear protected you well.

It looks like you will be visiting Albert at the Tech Center in Burnaby, at the bottom of SFU, just off the Lougheed Highway. 

It so happens that my Abrams also wobbles violently between 50 km/h and 60 km/h during braking. But in my case I can tame it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

It so happens that my Abrams also wobbles violently between 50 km/h and 60 km/h during braking. But in my case I can tame it.

It was a special situation because I was going down a very steep hill. I suspect that going downhill allowed me to brake too hard, which then made the wheel wobble more. I've never experienced that level of wobbles in the 3600km's I've put on the Sherman. Lesson learned and all it cost me be was some skin off my hands and back 😆

• Like 2

Ewheels has received the parts upgrades kit!

Good afternoon All,

The pallets with the upgraded/free Sherman-S upgrades have just come in; the plan is to process these in batches over the upcoming week. 

If you have either: a) changed your address, b) sold your Sherman-S on, please provide the updated address/owner, otherwise we'll have them sent onto the original address from the original order. 

Hope the Wheel is performing well & have a wonderful rest of your afternoon.

Jason 
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Clem604 said:

It was a special situation because I was going down a very steep hill. I suspect that going downhill allowed me to brake too hard, which then made the wheel wobble more. I've never experienced that level of wobbles in the 3600km's I've put on the Sherman. Lesson learned and all it cost me be was some skin off my hands and back 😆

Perhaps I need to expand on what I have said.

Although, my Abrams does have a tendency to wobble violently, it isn't a death wobble anymore. With the right technique and settings and adjustments, the intensity can be reduced, and suppressed. 

I understand in your case, it was a precarious situation since stronger braking would excebrate the violent intensity of the wobble, and you were going down a very steep hill. My case is different. I can now kill the wobble. Once I have the wobbling under control, braking harder doesn't intensify the wobble.

Here is a video showing Chooch fighting a wobble on an Abrams. If Chooch was going down a steep hill at high speeds, the outcome could have been different. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I also had a wobble crash, going downhill. Lesson learned:

For me, wobbles only occur when i ride downhill (or rarely uphill) - my 16X is really "good" at wobbling downhill :wacko: 

Solutions

1:  Don't go to fast downhill

2: Do seated riding downhill - this totally prevents any kind of wobbles at any speed(for me)

3: If wobbles occurs; Stretch your legs and make yourself as stiff as a plank, clamp your legs to the sides of the wheel, lean back a bit (brake a bit) - it works perfectly for me. I am well aware that this cannot be practiced if the road is too bumpy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robse said:

I also had a wobble crash, going downhill. Lesson learned:

For me, wobbles only occur when i ride downhill (or rarely uphill) - my 16X is really "good" at wobbling downhill :wacko: 

Solutions

1:  Don't go to fast downhill

2: Do seated riding downhill - this totally prevents any kind of wobbles at any speed(for me)

3: If wobbles occurs; Stretch your legs and make yourself as stiff as a plank, clamp your legs to the sides of the wheel, lean back a bit (brake a bit) - it works perfectly for me. I am well aware that this cannot be practiced if the road is too bumpy.

I go loose and remove my grip on the wheel which I tend to automatically do at the start of wobbles. Then I do some carving while slowing down. It’s how I trained my brain I guess. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Robse said:

If wobbles occurs; Stretch your legs and make yourself as stiff as a plank, clamp your legs to the sides of the wheel, lean back a bit (brake a bit) -

I don't recommend this technique.  If someone hits a bump with legs locked, it could make the situation much worse.  

I find it better to ease off the braking a little and initiate a carve to calm the wobbles, then squat low to resume braking.  Continuing to carve a little while braking hard will keep the wobbles from returning.  At least this is what consistently works for me.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I don't recommend this technique.  If someone hits a bump with legs locked, it could make the situation much worse.  

"I am well aware that this cannot be practiced if the road is too bumpy. "

12 minutes ago, Robse said:

"I am well aware that this cannot be practiced if the road is too bumpy. "

I get that you are sharing what works for you, but when you do that in response to someone that had a braking wobble crash, it comes across as advice. 

Since the road will inevitable be bumpy in a real world scenario some day, it seems counter productive to recommend practicing a technique that may be unsafe on a rough or bumpy surface.  

Like the old sports adage goes - practice like you play.

I'm not trting to tell you how to ride your wheel - just putting the caveat out there for others (particularly new ridere) that may be reading through.

Cheers!

• Like 1

My main takeaway from the crash is that I'm going to watch my speeds going down steep hills. The Sherman S is going to be out of commission for a while I source replacement parts and have it all replaced/repaired which is a bummer because the summer weather is now upon us. What also sucks is that it looks like the all replacement parts that I need totals around $450-500CAD ($300-375USD). On a positive note, when my recover from my injuries I'm going to get re-acquainted with my trusty V11 that has been collecting dust for the past few months :thumbup:

Edited by Clem604