Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

RagingGrandpa

21 hours ago, fbhb said:

It looks to me like it comes with its own beeper pre-installed on the rear, and I can't really imagine they would allow you to lose this important for safety aspect of their installation!

front-lamp-cyclop-to-sherman-s.jpg

Front lamp CYCLOP to Sherman S (hulaj.market)

I would like to see something like this with an adjustable brightness. A dial or something.

potentiometer/sp

I hope you have better luck than I have had with Hulaj Market. They are very good at getting the product to you and when it works - great.

The weakness is if there is a problem with it. The rear light I received didn’t work. Countless emails and no reply. Very disappointing tbh.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 12:22 AM, fbhb said:

It looks to me like it comes with its own beeper pre-installed on the rear, and I can't really imagine they would allow you to lose this important for safety aspect of their installation!

I wonder if anyone has made a review yet? Would be nice to see what kind of throw the light has. 

also, are there any alternatives?

Edited by smash

On 6/6/2023 at 4:46 AM, Clem604 said:

Ask and you shall receive 😃

https://hulaj.market/en/veteran-sherman-s/1295-front-lamp-cyclop-to-sherman-s.html

It looks to be an LED inside a projector, possibly similar to the V11.  The description says that it has a proper beam cutoff, is brighter, and has a wider beam than the stock headlight. I'm buying this as soon as it comes back in stock. I'll post some pics whenever I actually get it.

Edit: Since the Patton uses the same stock headlight as the Sherman S this may also work on that.

Did you get this light? How is it?

3 hours ago, smash said:

I wonder if anyone has made a review yet? Would be nice to see what kind of throw the light has. 

also, are there any alternatives?

This below got quite a lot of interest, I bought a couple of them for my V2 Sherman and the S, as clearly compatible with both, albeit that the beeper will have to be re-attached to the one on the ‘S’. Inexpensive, and pretty effective, have tested it on a battery to see the pattern, and happy to confirm Al Alcatraz’s findings.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

im sure the tire change would have been great from only the left side of the wheel if I hadn't stripped one of the screws on the top suspension plastic bracket! (This screw needed to come off to complete my removal of the bracket covering the wheel to fully work around it for a tire change.
Oh well, we had to tear her all apart just to get at the tire....lol

Edited by WILSONEUC

9 hours ago, Freeforester said:

This below got quite a lot of interest, I bought a couple of them for my V2 Sherman and the S, as clearly compatible with both, albeit that the beeper will have to be re-attached to the one on the ‘S’. Inexpensive, and pretty effective, have tested it on a battery to see the pattern, and happy to confirm Al Alcatraz’s findings.

Where did you buy yours? I really like the orange variant.

1 hour ago, smash said:

Where did you buy yours? I really like the orange variant.

I went onto Ali Express and found it there by searching per the Arctic 3.1 suggestion by Al Alcatraz, mine came with the same 3 segment light as shown in his pictures, but with the white day light surround, rather than the orange/yellow, only I don’t think there was an option for either from the option within the store I bought from, Soyavision. Total cost was under £16 for two units posted, and they came quickly, roughly a week or so, so very happy with mine. There are lots of options to buy, and if you check out the other links you’ll possibly find a similar one with the amber/orange type surround light.

• Like 1

I just want to report, after doing my tire change on the Sherman-S, I want to report a few things.

First, Leaperkim, what were you thinking? Although not an issue yet, I'm surprised the wheel is built like a LEGO! Modular? Wow, you dont...say. 

We have the Rim, Wheel and over that is a frame made of plastic , which is reinforced at the top by several cheap screws and a cross bracket that breaks easily. The plastic is not the spine however, but the suspension is the tail bone of the entire wheel, being bolted down by several brackets, several screws on each side. The battery housing slides/covers the suspension and further bolted on by screws to the top cover, bringing the machine together in one big unit. Im not a fan of this design, but when the wheel is together, there is no doubt the Sherman-S is good looking unit and proud to own one just do to the range, awesome feeling suspension  and good enough speed/power.  

BATCH 3 TIRE CHANGE/ TEAR DOWN FINDINGS-

The positives:
-If taking your time, the wheel is straight forward enough to take apart, but more difficult to put back together.
-Build quality of the battery shells appear to be high quality.
-Control Board and connectors appear to be top notch quality (with labels for the battery connectors)
-Motor cables are sheathed in high quality covering with ample enough silicone. 
-Pilot Street 2 felt easy to put on (No tools, after using zip tie method)

The Negatives:
-Cross bracket that is on top of the suspension plastic frame is cheap, breaks very easily (It acts as a motor cable anchor it seems)
-Some screws the H3-4's  and the PH2's are very cheap.
-Removal of the motor from the control board appears to be a deep pain in the butt. (Better just to leave the cable connected to work on it)
-Leaving cable connected while working on the motor requires a lot of finesse.
-Tire seating seems difficult (solved it by using zip ties, and ample amount of bullsnot tire lube). Tire popped on rim at 45 psi.
-Would be nice to have had rubber gasket for the top control board cover. Doesn't appear water proof
-Suspension rod moves around on the bracket during battery installation.
-Battery installation requires a lot of finesse to screw on to top of the wheel (solved by propping the wheel at an angle, and propping top of the wheel so it aligns up for installation).  Once the 1st battery is installed, you don't need to prop it up after.
-Battery installation is tedious as you have to make sure it sits on the suspension exactly, without the suspension moving around on you. (Plus the batteries are heavy)
-Kenda felt difficult to remove.
-Shinko 244 felt difficult to put on.
-future suspension removal/replacement and internal maintenance will require almost a full tear down. (To one or both sides)

Now to the Tire
Just based on a short 10 mile ride after 100% reassembly , the Pilot Street 2 is quiet!! No sound from the tire = Stealthy!!!
The Sherman-S with this tire now feels very nimble , playful and free. I did not go fast, and my max speed was only 32mph.
Breaking feels just slightly more responsive from the grip of the tire on the pavement.  The tire feels great with the suspension, and I think the tire complements the suspension more than the Kenda did for some reason. Turning feels different. At low speeds, you can basically turn on a dime to some degree with this tire, but higher speeds , doing a 90 turn or similar it feels like the wheel is trying to stay up, and requires more effort to turn it. It is easy to carve at higher speeds however!  High pressure feels super squirrly with this tire. I'm using 28psi for the time being which feels like a sweet spot. I will just need to practice more with it. Tire did fine on gravel , dirt trails that are common throughout my town.

Review:
Based on the tear down, and the performance of the wheel as it is, the Pilot Street 2 is a great replacement for the Kenda. It just helps unlock the wheel feel more playful. The teardown requires some patience and thinking outside the box if one modular component becomes busted or a screw does not come out due to being stripped. The wheel in my opinion is good cruiser wheel, great at all things but it is a master of none. Due to the modular design, I'm not sure how well this wheel will hold up in a crash. Like i mentioned above, it is a LEGO wheel, but looks like it built very well on the outside.

Edited by WILSONEUC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WILSONEUC said:

I just want to report, after doing my tire change on the Sherman-S, I want to report a few things.

First, Leaperkim, what were you thinking? Although not an issue yet, I'm surprised the wheel is built like a LEGO! Modular? Wow, you dont...say. 

We have the Rim, Wheel and over that is a frame made of plastic , which is reinforced at the top by several cheap screws and a cross bracket that breaks easily. The plastic is not the spine however, but the suspension is the tail bone of the entire wheel, being bolted down by several brackets, several screws on each side. The battery housing slides/covers the suspension and further bolted on by screws to the top cover, bringing the machine together in one big unit. Im not a fan of this design, but when the wheel is together, there is no doubt the Sherman-S is good looking unit and proud to own one just do to the range, awesome feeling suspension  and good enough speed/power.  

BATCH 3 TIRE CHANGE/ TEAR DOWN FINDINGS-

The positives:
-If taking your time, the wheel is straight forward enough to take apart, but more difficult to put back together.
-Build quality of the battery shells appear to be high quality.
-Control Board and connectors appear to be top notch quality (with labels for the battery connectors)
-Motor cables are sheathed in high quality covering with ample enough silicone. 
-Pilot Street 2 felt easy to put on (No tools, after using zip tie method)

The Negatives:
-Cross bracket that is on top of the suspension plastic frame is cheap, breaks very easily (It acts as a motor cable anchor it seems)
-Some screws the H3-4's  and the PH2's are very cheap.
-Removal of the motor from the control board appears to be a deep pain in the butt. (Better just to leave the cable connected to work on it)
-Leaving cable connected while working on the motor requires a lot of finesse.
-Tire seating seems difficult (solved it by using zip ties, and ample amount of bullsnot tire lube). Tire popped on rim at 45 psi.
-Would be nice to have had rubber gasket for the top control board cover. Doesn't appear water proof
-Suspension rod moves around on the bracket during battery installation.
-Battery installation requires a lot of finesse to screw on to top of the wheel (solved by propping the wheel at an angle, and propping top of the wheel so it aligns up for installation).  Once the 1st battery is installed, you don't need to prop it up after.
-Battery installation is tedious as you have to make sure it sits on the suspension exactly, without the suspension moving around on you. (Plus the batteries are heavy)
-Kenda felt difficult to remove.
-Shinko 244 felt difficult to put on.
-future suspension removal/replacement and internal maintenance will require almost a full tear down. (To one or both sides)

Now to the Tire
Just based on a short 10 mile ride after 100% reassembly , the Pilot Street 2 is quiet!! No sound from the tire = Stealthy!!!
The Sherman-S with this tire now feels very nimble , playful and free. I did not go fast, and my max speed was only 32mph.
Breaking feels just slightly more responsive from the grip of the tire on the pavement.  The tire feels great with the suspension, and I think the tire complements the suspension more than the Kenda did for some reason. Turning feels different. At low speeds, you can basically turn on a dime to some degree with this tire, but higher speeds , doing a 90 turn or similar it feels like the wheel is trying to stay up, and requires more effort to turn it. It is easy to carve at higher speeds however!  High pressure feels super squirrly with this tire. I'm using 28psi for the time being which feels like a sweet spot. I will just need to practice more with it. Tire did fine on gravel , dirt trails that are common throughout my town.

Review:
Based on the tear down, and the performance of the wheel as it is, the Pilot Street 2 is a great replacement for the Kenda. It just helps unlock the wheel feel more playful. The teardown requires some patience and thinking outside the box if one modular component becomes busted or a screw does not come out due to being stripped. The wheel in my opinion is good cruiser wheel, great at all things but it is a master of none. Due to the modular design, I'm not sure how well this wheel will hold up in a crash. Like i mentioned above, it is a LEGO wheel, but looks like it built very well on the outside.

Sounds like we have totally different experiences working on this wheel, I've taken mine apart 2 times now and I found it easy and a joy to work with, I also find the parts and how it holds together feels pretty robust to me and I don't share your opinion that it is a flimsy LEGO wheel.

A friend of mine dropped his wheel down a gnarly hill full of rocks, only some cosmetical scratches on the shell no other damages, another friend crashed his wheel at 70kmh, the wheel did some violent tumbling and one of the original pedals broke, only scratches on the shell fully operational nothing else broken.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

Due to the modular design, I'm not sure how well this wheel will hold up in a crash. Like i mentioned above, it is a LEGO wheel, but looks like it built very well on the outside.

If this makes anyone feel better I crashed my Sherman S at 60km/h (37mph) and it flew about 20 feet down an extremely steep street and survived with only 2 cracks on the magnesium shell and a broken rear handle. The wheel was still fully functional and completely ride able after the crash. The pictures of the the crash and the subsequent damage can be seen a few pages back.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Sounds like we have totally different experiences working on this wheel, I've taken mine apart 2 times now and I found it easy and a joy to work with, I also find the parts and how it holds together feels pretty robust to me and I don't share your opinion that it is a flimsy LEGO wheel.

A friend of mine dropped his wheel down a gnarly hill full of rocks, only some cosmetical scratches on the shell no other damages, another friend crashed his wheel at 70kmh, the wheel did some violent tumbling and one of the original pedals broke, only scratches on the shell fully operational nothing else broken.

There is no "housing" or "shell" like you would expect from other wheels. Just modular pieces bolted together, which was my concern if the wheel crashed how it would hold up with that design. You mentioned the wheels held up in some serious crashes , so then it must be an impressive design.  Calling it a LEGO was playful way of saying the pieces of the Sherman S come together like  Lego. Not flimsy one bit and i don't think i said the wheel is flimsy??  I was really surprised for the most part all components (suspension and battery) stacked on top of a plastic frame bolted on the hub, with the final piece (top cover) completing the package. I think a metal suspension frame would have been better instead of plastic, but i'm not a designer, just a forum poster.  :lol:

I actually did enjoy taking it apart, and i did say it was straightforward process taking it all apart. Unfortunately, I had an issue with stripping a screw which impeded my tire removal on the left side. That is more user error and not at fault to the design. The difficulty was putting the wheel together, as I had the entire wheel components taken apart on both sides. Once one battery is installed , then it becomes easier to work with again.

Edited by WILSONEUC

1 minute ago, WILSONEUC said:

There is no "housing" or "shell" like you would expect from other wheels. Just modular pieces bolted together, which was my concern if the wheel crashed how it would hold up with that design. You mentioned the wheels held up in some serious crashes , so then it must be an impressive design.  Calling it a LEGO was playful way of saying the pieces of the Sherman S come together like  Lego. Not flimsy one bit and i don't think i said the wheel is flimsy??  I was really surprised for the most part all components (suspension and battery) stacked on top of a plastic frame bolted on the hub, with the final piece (top cover) completing the package. I think a metal suspension piece would have been better but im not a designer, just a forum poster. 

I actually did enjoy taking it apart, and i did say it was straightforward process taking it all apart. Unfortunately, I had an issue with stripping a screw which impeded my tire removal on the left side. That is more user error and not at fault to the design. The difficulty was putting the wheel together, as I had the entire wheel components taken apart on both sides. Once one battery is installed , then it becomes easier to work with again.

Flimsy was my interpretation from the word LEGO, lego is not known to be robust. 😅

The plastic bridge is just for holding the fender and motor cable, the controller housing is also the bridge between the two sides, then there's a lot of pretty beefy screws holding all that together and then you have the motor in-between which is also bolted onto the suspension which is bolted onto the battery packs so all in all I think it's a pretty elegant and robust design compared to many other wheels.

I can imagine stripping screws ain't no fun regardless of user error or not (you sure it wasn't poorly threaded from factory? I think I saw example of that in a Patton video where they had to re-drill and re-thread a hole).

On 7/18/2023 at 6:22 AM, fbhb said:

This light should better enlighthen the whole block for 140 Euro incl shipping, wtf

yeah it wasn't cheap, but I didn't really want to get into modding/tinkering with Alibaba lights, I don't have the time to do that anymore.  Wish I did,    Received my shipping notification here this morning,, guessing I should have it mid next week.  Like @Clem604, I'll post up pictures of different lighting when I get it in.  Difficult here though as it doesn't really get dark at the until 2230/2300, even then it is still fairly light out, joys of living in a northern area, nothing like it, except when I worked in the arctic though, ugh, periods of 24hrs of daylight at times and other times 24 hrs of darkness.  

Edited by CDINPHX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CDINPHX said:

Received my shipping notification here this morning,, guessing I should have it mid next week.  Like @Clem604, I'll post up pictures of different lighting when I get it in.

I just got my shipping notification as well. Hopefully it shows up next week alongside my AliExpress CNC trolley handle+seat.

• Like 1

Good people of this Sherman S thread, I have an opportunity to purchase a used Sherman S for $3300, what is a good price? Specifics:

• 1320 miles
  • Batch 2 with the update kit from batch 1
  • Aftermarket bumpers and pads
  • Sur Run seat
  • Pilot Street 2 installed, knobby included

I'd been looking at the Commander Pro and EX30, and in a different class the Commander Mini and Patton (and Extreme), but this looks like a pretty solid price on a wheel that's been taken care of by the prior owner. But, I wanted to get an opinion from the owners here. Thoughts? Anything I should know about the batches?

Edited by nb1w
  • Like 2

The Sherman S with updated trolley and pedals runs $3300 new. You're basically getting seat, tire and bumpers/pads for free in exchange for the 1,300 mileage.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

The Sherman S with updated trolley and pedals runs $3300 new. You're basically getting seat, tire and bumpers/pads for free in exchange for the 1,300 mileage.

Where are you seeing a Sherman S for $3,300 new? I'm seeing $4k+ anywhere I look. It's $4150 at eWheels, $4100 at Freemotion, and $4150 USD at eevee's.

Edited by nb1w

Aliexpress had them for $3300 for a time, likely how much the seller bought it for. Price is okay for a used wheel if you can't catch the sale price.

38 minutes ago, Mango said:

Aliexpress had them for $3300 for a time, likely how much the seller bought it for. Price is okay for a used wheel if you can't catch the sale price.

I can find no references to any such sale when searching this site. Can you please link me to the post indicating what seller had them for $3300 and when?

Speaking of the devil, was doing some maintenance on my suspension just now and when screwing the clamp back on according to LeaperKim spec of 8Nm one of the holes on the motor bracket where you screw the clamp on de-threaded completely and is now completely loose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7