New Sherman? (Sherman Max)

InfiniteWheelie

7 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

I live in Beskydy mountains area

I am familiar.  I lived in Bielsko-Biała Poland for a year which I believe is in the same mountain range.

I'll try to make a point to do some long hills and let you know.  The only thing I have to compare to is my V11 though.

• Like 2

Hello, I am French and I use google translate. I ordered a shermax which should arrive next July. in france no one has a shermax suddenly I was wondering if one of you can given are felt, why so little enthusiasm for this wheel? for the moment we have no review but I wonder what is worth compared to the original. for info I canceled my pre-order of the S20 for this shermax, I hope I made the right choice 👍 looking forward to reading you US friends

• Like 2

Interesting, seems the motor is the same more or less, just thicker cables and software tuning that gives it the upgraded torque.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Interesting, seems the motor is the same more or less, just thicker cables and software tuning that gives it the upgraded torque.

We would need to count the windings and measure magnets to be sure that it's the same.  Small changes in both of those will yield real differences.  Would be easier if LK just told us the specs of both motors.

7 hours ago, dangasaur said:

We would need to count the windings and measure magnets to be sure that it's the same.  Small changes in both of those will yield real differences.  Would be easier if LK just told us the specs of both motors.

Which ecodrift already did for us if you read the article. 😅

• Like 1

I wonder how the "low RPM over-current protection" works on the Max, what is the behavior and in which scenarios will it trigger? Will it just cut-off, will there be beeps to warn you before that happens?

29 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I wonder how the "low RPM over-current protection" works on the Max, what is the behavior and in which scenarios will it trigger? Will it just cut-off, will there be beeps to warn you before that happens?

Wheels normally have an overcurrent protection at some ?200A? phase current (120 in earlier days) - this works by just shutting the mosfets off prematurely during a pem duty cycle once this current is reached.

Once this limit is reached it can be heard by the "metallic, creaking" noise.o

For low speed protection there should be some additional protection in place to prevent components overheating. Like just either a lower phase current limit or some "softer mode" with less max current.

in a perfect world could be some power dissipation simulation in firmware regulating the allowable current....

ps.: Could be that for starting/very low speeds and "normal" driving different motor driving algorithms are needed and the low speed algorithm just has some lower current limit...

Edited by Chriull

42 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Wheels normally have an overcurrent protection at some ?200A? phase current (120 in earlier days) - this works by just shutting the mosfets off prematurely during a pem duty cycle once this current is reached.

Once this limit is reached it can be heard by the "metallic, creaking" noise.o

For low speed protection there should be some additional protection in place to prevent components overheating. Like just either a lower phase current limit or some "softer mode" with less max current.

in a perfect world could be some power dissipation simulation in firmware regulating the allowable current....

ps.: Could be that for starting/very low speeds and "normal" driving different motor driving algorithms are needed and the low speed algorithm just has some lower current limit...

Ultimately will it prevent boards from burning under heavy stress? Like on OG Sherman, I'm thinking long steep climbs.

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

Ultimately will it prevent boards from burning under heavy stress? Like on OG Sherman, I'm thinking long steep climbs.

One man isn’t so keen nor confident in Leaperkim’s current direction of travel:

w

5 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

One man isn’t so keen nor confident in Leaperkim’s current direction of travel:

Specifically, products since the restart from Covid19 lockdown, and especially support. As far as Denis Hagov is concerned, Leaper Kim is dead to him?

Edited by techyiam

47 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Ultimately will it prevent boards from burning under heavy stress?

Likely from short time peaks.

Looking at the teardown pics the battery wires are still soldered directly beside the blank capacitor legs. There were pictores of veteran boards burned with a big black hole exactly around this area...

Why are the capacitors in a thick heatshrink - to secure them from free moving unsoldered wires with melting insulations? The thick heatshrink hinders the capacitors from getting rid of excess heat!

The battery wires need to be attached with screws and secured with thermal sleeves...

47 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Like on OG Sherman, I'm thinking long steep climbs.

The thermal pad for the mosfets shown in teardown looks quite thick - as @EcoDrift mentioned people plan replacimg it with al oxid ceramics. As this thermal pad could be the weak link overheating the mosfets on longer steep climbs.

He states also that main power bus for the mosfets is not reinforced (some wheels motherboards have thick copper wires for this!) - could be a weak link, too.

As there are, afai guess no 

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

power dissipation simulation in firmware regulating the allowable current....

manufacturers with their firmware limits can either make them a bit too conservative, letting the wheels survive (more) but riders complaining about lack of torque/performance or they choose less limits with some more wheels fried at longer high burdens...

He says it happens when it's being ridden too and is trying to get it replaced by eWheels, they gave him a 30% chance that it was a firmware issue. Resolution with eWheels is still in process. I'm guessing they don't have replacements on hand ATM though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lazybones99 said:

I just finished setting up the Grizzla Pads on my new Sherman Max and took my first ride on it.

I’m not sure how I feel about the stock tire yet but I have a K66 on the way :) looking forward to a great year of riding!

Write up a review if you'd like. I'd like to hear it. I also have the Max with about 21 miles -- I haven't rode it much since last week due to work and rain, rain, rain rain rain raaaiiinnnnnnn. I'm riding my 16X around doing food deliveries, which is great, but it'd be really awesome with more range on the Max. Before I do that though, I'd like to get used to the Max. I want to give more reviews here in the future

• Like 3

thank you for your return, I was wondering about the maneuverability, it comforts me in the choice I made of my order 👌 I was thinking about the V12HT so I was frustrated not to see any feedback on the shermax 😆