Begode 900Wh Battery Recall Options

6 hours ago, supercurio said:

The EX.N of a friend stopped charging at 96.6V. Yesterday his packs got checked and one of the cell groups was damaged.
Why that happened?

He didn’t have a habit of terminating the charge at 80% or otherwise before the chargers turn green, did he? If not, then he probably just got a lemon in a form of a battery cell, BMS, or the battery pack construction. I’d say he was lucky though, having a cell group go to 0V can be a situation that causes a cell to go into thermal runaway in some situations.

Discussing what would be the options now, my suggestion was: "let's look into where to buy a LiTech replacement pack".
Because 2 of these packs instead of 3 is still an improvement I guess.

I hope I understood you wrong, as in your planning to only change some of the packs but not all? That’sa big no no. The battery cells and the BMS must have similar characteristics for them to function safely (or at all) for a reasonable length of time.

Don't sell it either to someone else who might not understand the risk.

This is an important point! We all know what’s right and wrong when selling a questionably functioning large li-ion pack, be it in a wheel or separately.

6 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

I think there is a lot of FUD, for those who are afraid and will get rid of their gotway wheels despite the low percentage recorded, with the dozens of possible causes of domestic fires that happen every day I hope you do not live in an apartment but in a cabin in the woods without electricity stove or candle, be careful with falling trees and lightning though

I see a lot of FUD as well, but it was all concentrated in the quote above.

You want percentage? Last I checked GW/BG battery fires have been overall about 1500% more common than that of Inmotion or KingSong. Counting spontaneous fires only makes the percentage a difficult way of presenting things, since other manufacturers have had none. GW/BG’s closer to twenty fires are a whole lotta percent more than zero.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I see a lot of FUD as well, but it was all concentrated in the quote above.

You want percentage? Last I checked GW/BG battery fires have been overall about 1500% more common than that of Inmotion or KingSong. Counting spontaneous fires only makes the percentage a difficult way of presenting things, since other manufacturers have had none. GW/BG’s closer to twenty fires are a whole lotta percent more than zero.

Yes I don't deny compared to other brands but at the same time as we can see with the big gatherings regrouping all kind of riders the majority of the wheels are gotway and sherman and for the more extreme practices all the dirt jump or hard trails riders have gotway ht, so necessarily the percentage will be much higher
I was talking about the low percentage of fire so about 20 on what 5 or 7 years of worldwide sales that is not a common thing either  
For the FUD thing it's not especialy here but all over the web, I mean ok it's their choice and people do what they want but after get rid of their gotway what for many home fires start with an electrical problem so they live without electricity? gas problems that blow up apartments so they get rid of their boiler and gas stove? It's a bit overreacting

21 hours ago, sevin7 said:

My RS19 HT delivered in July 2021 beeps every time I hit 28 MPH. I've done everything you can think of to turn these beeps off but nothing works. It should not beep at 28 MPH, but it does, and I can't find anyone else who has the same issue with this wheel. 

In RS specifications sheet there is 2nd alarm 45 kmh / 28 mph, I've read somewhere that with gotways the app can't read status of the wheel so it can be stated OFF in app but ON on the wheel, did you tried to activate it first in app and then desactivate it?

Speed alarm
First class alarm: 2 beeps/sec, 30km/h
Second class alarm: 3beeps/sec, 45km/h

80% motor output, 5 beeps/sec

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

In RS specifications sheet there is 2nd alarm 45 kmh / 28 mph, I've read somewhere that with gotways the app can't read status of the wheel so it can be stated OFF in app but ON on the wheel, did you tried to activate it first in app and then desactivate it?

I've tried disabling the alarms using every EUC app possible including the gotway app (tried many times).

House fires caused by electricity/gas are presumably from unknown faults.

Gotway lack of safety and quality control issues are known and preventable.

Other brands are evidence of possibility of higher safety.

Gotway fires keep happening with disturbing frequency.

• Like 3

Ford Pinto cars.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/1977/09/pinto-madness/

For seven years the Ford Motor Company sold cars in which it knew hundreds of people would needlessly burn to death.

Ford engineers discovered in pre-production crash tests that rear-end collisions would rupture the Pinto’s fuel system extremely easily. 

Because assembly-line machinery was already tooled when engineers found this defect, top Ford officials decided to manufacture the car anyway—exploding gas tank and all—even though Ford owned the patent on a much safer gas tank.

With a half million cars rolling off the assembly lines each year, Pinto is the biggest-selling subcompact in America, and the company’s operating profit on the car is fantastic. 

Ford waited eight years because its internal “cost-benefit analysis,” which places a dollar value on human life, said it wasn’t profitable to make the changes sooner.

https://www.spokesman.com/blogs/autos/2008/oct/17/pinto-memo-its-cheaper-let-them-burn/

In sum, the cost of recalling the Pinto would have been $121 million, whereas paying off the victims would only have cost Ford $50 million. 

This scenario also happens with other manufacturers and products.

eg: kitchen appliances

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

You're implying/inferring something about the marketshare/number of wheels sold of the various manufacturers based on the constituency of a narrow enthusiast band. Yet the numbers that have been made available over the past year or two (and further hinted at/reinforced by other sources) that there are far more InMotion wheels sold than any other brand--in some cases InMotion has been shown outselling all other EUCs brands *combined* as recently as in 2020 (before the successful launches of the V11 & V12), or even in some markets just the V8 line *alone* outselling *all* Gotway/Begode wheels. And yet even though InMotion sells many more EUCs than Gotway/Begode, they have had one widely known fire in the past four years and it was back in 2018--and in that same time there have been ~17(!) Gotway/Begode fires.

It's really clear that Gotway wheels are majority brand sold in recent 2 years or so. Almost any group picture on any forum shows majority Gotway and also a recent FB survey done. I wonder what numbers you are referring to I don't believe any of the manufacturer publishes these. 

43 minutes ago, Felix said:

shows majority Gotway and also a recent FB survey done. I wonder what numbers you are referring to I don't believe any of the manufacturer publishes these

He is referring to stats from 3rd party sellers like ewheels and ecodrift 

• Like 1

True in my observation as well. The V8 hits the sweet spot for a city like Paris in terms of the city’s size and density. I see Inmotions everywhere in Paris.

KS 16x are very popular as well, but I have yet to see an S18. You’d think an S18 would be popular given Paris’ roads but nope. I think the S18 is just too heavy and cumbersome for most Parisian commuters for what it offers.

I see very few performance Gotway wheels like MSX, but some mcm5 and telsas. Never seen a MPro.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AtlasP said:

This is very simply false/not even close. Such youtubers and niche enthusiast groups and forums are simply not representative of the market at large which is absolutely dominated by entry-level / last-mile options. Gotway/Begode is at best 3rd (out of 4) in sales.

That could be true and I don't claim to know the answer. But I don't really agree that for example Facebook EUC Community is in some way more likely to buy Gotway, because they are "enthusiasts". I think Fbook is a good cross section of all walks of life representing anyone. Even my mum is on Fbook :) My own poll showed there 41% Gotway purchases and that's a statistic (yes small sample size) and not anecdotal like "A whole lot of inmotion EUCs in Paris". Also IMO since the price-to-spec ratio is very good with Gotways it make sense they sell a lot of wheels. They are the Toyota, not the Corvette

10 hours ago, AtlasP said:

we're currently discussing this topic in a thread started by Jason of eWheels definitively stating that the Begode-assembled 900Wh packs (with 21700 M50LT cells) are *UNSAFE*, coupled with the extreme recommendation that it's *SO* bad/dangerous that customers should actively remove and dispose of these packs *IMMEDIATELY* and then go about securing replacements. That's huge and unprecedented.

I think it's great that Jason is warning us but I live in the UK. It would be useful (essential) to know what percentage of 900Wh batteries are catching fire. If it's 10% then I'm disposing of the wheel now, if it's 1% then I'll build an out house to hold it, if it's under 0.1% then I'm probably not going to worry. If it's just batteries that are mistreated, overstressed and never balanced then again I can mitigate against that. Is GW/Begode offering replacement batteries at cost or for free? Is it really the batteries that are the issue as other wheels have the same batteries or can they supply replacement firmware that reduces the risk at the expense of a little performance.   

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Is GW/Begode offering replacement batteries at cost or for free?

If you see an elephant flying over your house then maybe. If not...no.

45 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

can they supply replacement firmware that reduces the risk at the expense of a little performance.   

I cant see how a change of firmware would make any real difference to this problem. Unless its related to power output but then you could do that yourself by just riding more conservatively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

In depth, highly detailed, market reports on all industries are available every year.

I doubt these automatically generated mumbo jumbo reports about airwheel in 2028 are any more scientific than my wet finger approach.

The difference is that I clearly stated mine where just daily observations. I’m not prancing around with made up accuracy.

I also mentioned a second set of data available to all which is participation in forums.

Since you have so much faith in those reports, enlighten us with a sample.

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

I cant see how a change of firmware would make any real difference to this problem. Unless its related to power output but then you could do that yourself by just riding more conservatively.

Other wheels use these batteries and don't burst into flames so I assume there's either special hardware to avoid this risk (this costs money) or there's different firmware that reduces this risk. Could it detect that one battery pack is imbalanced and, if it can't balance them, then provide plenty of warnings to the rider. Or could the firmware just detect that the wheel isn't being used but the temp is steadily rising inside the wheel while the outside temp is constant?

I'll admit it does bothers me that a wheel might burst into flames while I'm asleep. I think it's unlikely as I ride quite conservatively but I just don't have any real numbers to base that on. I assume the fires happen from thermal runaway caused by imbalanced battery packs trying to balance themselves. Could there just be a simple switch that turns off balancing when he's not present?

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

If you see an elephant flying over your house then maybe. If not...no.

We currently have flocks of flying pigs going over the house so it's difficult to spot elephants at the moment but I'll keep an eye out.

2 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think it's great that Jason is warning us but I live in the UK. It would be useful (essential) to know what percentage of 900Wh batteries are catching fire. If it's 10% then I'm disposing of the wheel now, if it's 1% then I'll build an out house to hold it, if it's under 0.1% then I'm probably not going to worry. If it's just batteries that are mistreated, overstressed and never balanced then again I can mitigate against that. Is GW/Begode offering replacement batteries at cost or for free? Is it really the batteries that are the issue as other wheels have the same batteries or can they supply replacement firmware that reduces the risk at the expense of a little performance.   

I think the same for the percentage

And for the mistreated and overstressed, apart from the wrongway assumption there is no real correlation established with this, as stated by wrongway himself no problem with his msp, same with fantomas choochtech and other hard trail or dirt jump riders on msp/rs no one reported fire cause of this

46 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Google as suggested.

Report contents are outlined.

No, the burden of proof is on the claimant.

edit: actually, never mind, I can’t take you seriously with your self important tone. > ignored. This will save me your constant dramatic and alarmistic statements as well.

Edited by div