Begode 900Wh Battery Recall Options

45 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

you won't have Gotway performance unless you have Sherman batteries

The battery market has all kinds of 21700 batteries [disclaimer - I am no expert] with very different properties in terms of capacity, max charge/discharge and slightly different chemistry leading different behavior and safety. There are plenty of high-discharge options, (e.g. Molicel P42A 4200mAh 45A, Samsung 40T 4000mAh 35A etc) which can sustain roughly 5 times higher current than LG M50T. However, they have lower capacity and perhaps other drawbacks (availability and price to name some obvious ones). If Gotway is allowing their controllers to draw high current, they should have switched to those batteries -- no need to assemble a 10p juggernaut like the Sherman. Many riders would welcome a slightly more expensive wheel with slightly lower range but reliable and safe performance. Cheating out high performance by silently abusing explosive components is a risky and even criminal behavior. I have seen no solid and direct proof that this is indeed what Gotway has been doing, knowingly or not, but I trust the judgment of members here, especially people with vast data like Jason.

• Like 2

Gotway/Begode wheels all over the world not sold by eWheels will continue to have these suspect batteries.

These customers would be relying on their distributors and/or Gotway to alert them to the problem even existing......to implement a recall, battery replacement.

Seems like a really bad outcome is waiting to happen somewhere in the world.

3 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

Food for thought, something like this is why I personally think powerpads aren't a great idea. It's just an afterthought way to get more juice out of the wheel, power that wasn't intended to come out when say the manufacterers were making the wheel. The amount that you're allowed to crunch down on the wheel with powerpads probably is akin to carrying around a person thats 400lbs, or whatever is beyond the intended max weight of the rider.

Even still fault still is with the manufacturers on this. There's a several things they could have done instead that would have been way better. They should know that a small percent of people will use what they buy to the max possible, and should have added a hard upper limit somewhere.

My RS19 that arrived in June came with Gotway power pads. They won't let you get quite as much power as Clark pads, but you can still get real power out of the wheel with the included pads. The S20 also comes with pretty extensive pads. 

5 hours ago, AtlasP said:

This entire quotation makes it sound like nothing has been done and you're now the first to propose some resolution.

The reality is that eWheels has spent much of the past year working on a permanent resolution--ultimately cutting Begode out of the battery manufacturing process entirely by partnering with a third-party company to produce superior packs (including a superior BMS & cells and adding dedicated fuses & alarms completely independent of the EUC's own electronics) for use inside Begode wheels--and that resolution has already been implemented and launched a month ago. (And this on the back of many prior years of constantly pushing Begode to improve themselves--pushing for upgraded MOSFETs, etc--before finally giving up and realizing that more drastic matters had to be taken to cut them out of the pack manufacturing process altogether.)

Now this isn't Begode improving on their end, but which they've proven some combination of incompetent and/or unwilling to do--and your little proposal isn't going to change that/Begode doesn't give a damn and cannot/will not get better--but it is a distributor taking matters into their own hands to address and resolve. At this point no sane customer should be buying Begode wheels still containing Begode packs from any other distributors, and ultimately we'll see whether those distributors similarly either stop selling Begode wheels or have to implement their own battery replacement solutions.

Aren’t Gotway control boards the only company that allows full operation without a proprietary connection to the batteries BMS? Gotway definitely sold naked batteryless EUC on AliExpress at one point… I think they entertained selling EUC parts without batteries. 

If it’s true that GotWay supports a more open design platform that welcomes DIY and not being tied to a BMS, I think the community should recognize that as a user benefit. 

I am curious myself about the proprietary connections of a controller and BMS. If anyone can clarify.

• Like 3

Anyone else noticed that the S20 will have the LG M50T, in a 4 pack configuration? I'm sure that's partly why it will come with a vastly improved BMS and other safeguards, but performance wheel it won't be, stuck at 29.2A. 

Glad I ended up going with the Abrams. Is LeaperKim the only manufacturer avoiding LG and opting instead for high discharge cells? They knew. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kekafuch said:

Aren’t Gotway control boards the only company that allows full operation without a proprietary connection to the batteries BMS? Gotway definitely sold naked batteryless EUC on AliExpress at one point… I think they entertained selling EUC parts without batteries. 

If it’s true that GotWay supports a more open design platform that welcomes DIY and not being tied to a BMS, I think the community should recognize that as a user benefit. 

I am curious myself about the proprietary connections of a controller and BMS. If anyone can clarify.

It's a good point.

At the same time, connection to the BMS might simply be a requirement on high power / high capacity EUCs to alert the user gracefully in case of battery faults and it's missing there for now.

Like the "Please Repair" voice on Inmotion wheels. Adam from Wrong Way mentions it to highlight both its silliness and importance.

What about having communication between the BMS and mainboard to avoid serious issues being unnoticed and sometimes turning into a disaster, but following a well described, reasonable communication protocol.

And for the DIY case, something that can easily be implemented on an Arduino type MCU, upgrading DIY packs to be smarter and safer as well.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

What about the samsung 48x begode packs like in Ex.n, is it better or worse than the lg?

https://ecodrift.ru/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Monokoleso-Begode-EX-N-10.jpg

I find this about the 48x  https://budgetlightforum.com/node/73701

On some sellers website i find 9.6A or 15A continious, and 35A pulse, if somebody here knows more about these?

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Is Gotway actually doing anything themselves to fix their own problems?

I guess if you refer to them as Gotway then they probably won't. Probably better to ask Begode if they're going to fix this. 

I get a bit confused when we talk about possible causes. I can see how power pads cause more drain (and probably stress) on the battery but it doesn't explain why those new wheels in the container ship burnt up. A similar argument can be said for riders demanding too much power from these wheels. I'll admit I didn't understand why having a 4P arrangement on LT50T cells might be bad but the power packs were separated into 900Wh packs at the ewheels fire. It would be nice to know what is specifically different on Begode wheels that makes them more likely to catch fire.

Will delete if following is off topic.

https://uspirg.org/news/usp/hoverboard-tragedy-results-three-deaths

APRIL 4, 2017

“Last month, a fatal accident occurred at a Harrisburg, PA home when a hoverboard that was charging apparently overheated and caused a fire, tragically killing a 3-year-old girl just hours after the fire. While the incident is still currently under investigation, the fire also resulted in two other deaths, the 10-year old sister of the child..."

“This would be the first reported case of a fatal fire caused by hoverboards, which were the subject of one of the most well-known recalls by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) over the past year, with over 500,000 units recalled in July 2016."

According to the CPSC, there have been at least 99 incidents reports of the battery packs in hoverboards overheating, sparking, smoking, catching fire, or exploding.

Legality of hoverboards seem to vary in the US.

The deaths of two children didn't seem to have caused an out right blanket ban on hoverboards.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patrick Robert said:

Anyone else noticed that the S20 will have the LG M50T, in a 4 pack configuration? I'm sure that's partly why it will come with a vastly improved BMS and other safeguards, but performance wheel it won't be, stuck at 29.2A. 

Glad I ended up going with the Abrams. Is LeaperKim the only manufacturer avoiding LG and opting instead for high discharge cells? They knew. 

The S20 has 120 cells vs the 96 on the RS19 and it runs at a higher voltage. The S20 batteries have the ability to provide more torque than the RS19 HT while also providing a higher top speed due to the increased voltage. I'm starting to get annoyed about how many people are misunderstanding the cause of the problem. There is nothing wrong with LG M50T cells, the problem is how gotway is using the cells. There are other cells that are better for EUC purposes, but the LG M50T cells can provide extreme performance, as long as you have enough of them (and don't push them beyond the manufacturer's specifications)

• Like 1

Fire in shipping container for eWheels.

Fire destroying eWheels service center.

Is there the possibility of fire destroying eWheel's main distribution facility?

Two homes destroyed in Stockholm.

Other recent Begode fires.

No worldwide recall by Begode.

32 minutes ago, sevin7 said:

poorly engineered products with little regard to safety

I probably should be this harsh on them but I'm not... I think of Begode more along the lines of a scene from The Hunt for Red October where the Captain asks the Chief Engineer if it is possible to push the reactor to 110%. The answer: "Possible, but not advised". They went to 110% and got to where they needed to be. In time.

Raw performance at a tolerable price point is Begode's bread and butter, without those attributes I'm not certain they'd sell many wheels at all. They sort of have to allow 110%.

Edited by Tawpie

39 minutes ago, sevin7 said:

The part that is annoying me is people going on and on about 'LG cells are bad'.

I hear what you are saying but the fact is theres more than a few wheels using them that have gone up in flames. Wheels that haven't been pushed. So if the wheel hasn't been pushed, hasn't been damaged, hasn't been overly charged/discharged and in some cases hasn't even been ridden then people are unsurprisingly going to be looking at the cells. Like you, I feel this is somewhat unjustified but it is what it is. As I say, I suspect an issue with the provenance of the cells in the last year which isn't really LG's fault but they are getting hammered for it, no thanks to Begode and Adam.

People are hearing that the solution is new batteries that are not made by LG

Well to some extent that statement is correct because your argument is based on the fact that the issues are as a result of the current that Begode draws through it's motherboard. Unless new firmware can be flashed or new boards purchased, the replacement of the packs with a higher potential current output is the only remaining option is it not?

I am also not convinced that pushing the cells too hard is the primary cause of fires. It might be one cause, and perhaps the majority, but there are so many other Gotway's that have gone up in flames that couldn't have been from pushing cells too hard (including quite a few Monster wheels).

I am glad you agree, and this has been my point from the beginning.

• Like 1