Deleted

PLEASE_DELETE

Yay for judging places you've never been to and being too closeminded to try new things. Then again Canada doesn't sound appealing to me, either.

NYC only seems bad to me if you're claustrophobic or if you hate driving slowly

Real question, though: Do you watch a lot of Fox News? I'm wondering where all these unsolicited ill-spirited New York takes are coming from

49 minutes ago, Skeptikos said:

Yay for judging places you've never been to and being too closeminded to try new things. Then again Canada doesn't sound appealing to me, either.

NYC only seems bad to me if you're claustrophobic or if you hate driving slowly

Real question, though: Do you watch a lot of Fox News? I'm wondering where all these unsolicited ill-spirited New York takes are coming from

New York state is nice. NYC, yeah, i've been there a few times. They used to pay me $100 extra to drive and deliver there(back when $100 was something and we didnt hand money to everyone for nuthin). After 2 trips, they kept their money and I refused. Its COMMON for drivers to not be required to enter the city, as the company wouldnt have any drivers left. Theeres a little more to it than simply traffic :). Seems a lot of people like the city tho, and more power to them. I never could figure out when a NewYorker was yelling at me, was mad, or if they simply talked like that. I believe I was told I couldnt carry my firearm there as well. Im told a lot of things tho.... I can only imagine its the same only more crowded, now 20 years later.

I've been to Canada a few times. Not really easily comparable to NYC. I do recall people talked kinda funny and the cigarettes tasted odd. They told me at the border last time that I could entr to conduct business but not to come back. This was in the early 2000's. Im thinking this simply shows that Canada has good tastes and musta heard about me already. They also didnt want me carrying a firearm. :D

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gon2fast said:

Maybe I am late to the conversation, but why did the vehicles in the "illegal" column get that classification?

I think it's safe to assume that bureaucrats thought that they looked dangerous without doing any research. Or maybe they just put every PEV not specifically defined as legal (everything except scooters and e-bikes) in that column. Either way, it is the work of an ignorant person.

Edited by Menace
  • Like 2

Just now, ShanesPlanet said:

Or their research maybe included a choice video or two off of youtube?

Oh boy, here we go again... being serious though, that is a real enough possibility to concern me. Maybe I'll go bring this up in another thread...

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Isnt most govt work the work of an ingnorant person? :o

Sounds about right.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, Flying W said:

It's going to be a long up hill battle to get these EUCs moved to the left on that chart. 

LEOs may ignore us, but Shane's right, if there is a collision and one party is on an "illegal" device, even if the car hit you, you will be in the wrong. 

In the early 2000s, I was tapped by a bus that was making a tight turn, didn't see me and kept going. I had a sprained ankle from being knocked off balance and landing on my feet wobbly. People asked why I didn't take action. I explained that I was on an 'illegal' or 'grey area' Segway (the Mall Cop kind, not today's toys) in the street. They didn't understand, especially then when PEVs were not as familiar.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 9:01 AM, Lillian said:

In the early 2000s, I was tapped by a bus that was making a tight turn, didn't see me and kept going. I had a sprained ankle from being knocked off balance and landing on my feet wobbly. People asked why I didn't take action. I explained that I was on an 'illegal' or 'grey area' Segway (the Mall Cop kind, not today's toys) in the street. They didn't understand, especially then when PEVs were not as familiar.

I was on the way to Madison Sq Garden for some COllege Hoops. A big bus backed up and squished several people.  I was walking nearby a few minutes later. Several died.

I rode on both days of this years NYC "summer streets" event - Aug. 7th & 14th. It's an annual event where Park Av. is shut down to vehicular traffic so people can run, bike, skate etc from 72nd street to Brooklyn Bridge. Plenty of cops on the watch. Saw only a handful of EUC riders along and spoke to a few. Did see one rider on a larger Gotway with a selfie stick speeding and swerving thru. 

If they were to enforce regulating PEV's, might be with the next mayor - who knows? Can't see how that's guna go with the steady increase of PEV's in the city and  Citibike stations popping in almost every corner with battery-powered bikes now. IIRC, they also tried to enforce jaywalking in the city some years ago.

Edited by Surfling

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it's pretty clear. I suspect its still legal to ride ANY of these devices on private property tho. Hard to work in the grey area as they've even put an EXACT picture of an euc in the 'illegal' column. I don't see where there's really any question about it. Even tho its DEFINITELY not what nyc riders want to believe, atm it seems the "writing is on the wall", so to speak. If you ride an euc onroads in NYC, you are engaging in criminal activity.... Shhh, I won't say nuthin'. Just be sure to wear a full faced helmet, plain colors and ride an easily replaced wheel. :eff01bbbfc:

I would gather that LAW is LAW. Enforcement is probably what comes to the discussion next...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

10 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

This just came up in another thread. This is put out by the DOT.  It is not law. The DOT can't make laws. 

well butter my biscuits and toss me to the hogs. I sincerely apologize if I'm incorrect. It would NOT surprise me that you are correct. Just more ways to confuse people, and mislead them from the truth. I hope I havent perpetuated such foolishness too much.  Its so odd how the multiple governments within the usa and the companies that work/extort with them, keep us all guessing. I figure its just a matter of time before these things are written into law. Or maybe not. I don't pay much mind to such details. I typically just pay the price when they get me to court and let me know how it REALLY is.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Distorting the truth and keeping people guessing is the goal. US Government agencies unlawfully making laws without going through proper channels is likely our biggest problem today. They make bogus/fake laws and you have to hire a lawyer to oppose them. 

I don't know about "our biggest problem today", but I absolutely share the view that this is a massive, massive, massive problem. (Bigger problems include what they're doing outside of/without even bothering with the law.. ;-) )

• Like 1

Whether or not the DOT's poster is enforceable in court will depend on how much "rule making" power the agency was given by the Legislature. If deciding how to classify modes of transport and when or where each may be used was delegated to the DOT, then they are empowered to make the rules. As mentioned above, the devil will be in the enforcement.

My state legislature has created laws that describe one-wheeled electric personal assistive mobility devices (probably not the correct term but it's pretty close) and has allowed local jurisdictions to determine where they can be operated. It has also defined places where local jurisdictions cannot regulate use. The problem is the legislation was created 6 years ago and EUCs are no longer the same as so for instance, my 16X has too much horsepower to be classified as an EPAMD—thus it's effectively unregulated with the exception that I'm quite certain you aren't allowed to operate it on a roadway whose speed limit is greater than 35 mph.

Bless us and curse us, but our love of "local control" means that what is fine for me in unincorporated regions of WA may not be acceptable once I cross a city limit. And what may be fine in my city will mean trouble in yours.

• Like 1

NYC proper effectively bans all electric powered vehicles including EUCs and all electric bikes except the occasional city-owned eBike. While the law relaxed eBikes during the pandemic, that law has now been strongly enforced. Even bicycles are being strongly enforced when not using the bicycle lanes regardless if the bike lane is blocked. Bike stores are presently being fined something north of $16,000 (Propel recently got a fine for $26,000) by the NYC for merely selling eBikes and eScooters.

Apparently, NYC is being very pro-active in getting all vehicles except cars off their roads. They want you to drive or take public transportation.

My suspicion is that ever since that famous actress who I can't remember the name of was killed by an eScooter, NYC authorities have decided to remove all eBikes, eScooters, and EUCs from their city.