Deleted

PLEASE_DELETE

If you can, be willing to relocate to another city, state, province or country that lacks the energy and desire to pursue regulations against fun-loving niche groups.

In the US, I believe the southern/red states are far more tolerant in my experience. Based on posts made on this site, there appear to be some European and Asian countries with the same mindset.

10 minutes ago, litewave said:

If you can, be willing to relocate to another city, state, province or country that lacks the energy and desire to pursue regulations against fun-loving niche groups.

In the US, I believe the southern/red states are far more tolerant in my experience. Based on posts made on this site, there appear to be some European and Asian countries with the same mindset.

In China they are forbidden too -.- It's illegal to ride in China both on the mainroad or pavement.

4 minutes ago, Triexy said:

In China they are forbidden too -.- It's illegal to ride in China both on the mainroad or pavement.

I've always been totally gobsmacked by this given their seemingly 'anything goes' attitude when it comes to vehicles. Some of the home-brew contraptions they ride around in/on, loaded up with people/dogs/farm animals combined with only one necessary vehicle item (the horn) to save themselves from the carnage of box junctions/roundabouts!

8 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I've always been totally gobsmacked by this given their seemingly 'anything goes' attitude when it comes to vehicles. Some of the home-brew contraptions they ride around in/on, loaded up with people/dogs/farm animals combined with only one necessary vehicle item (the horn) to save themselves from the carnage of box junctions/roundabouts!

Something like that :D

https://cdn.prod.www.spiegel.de/images/56ef73c2-0001-0004-0000-000000169087_w798_r1.33_fpx53.34_fpy50.jpg

or

grafik.png.01b759385e8c2cca906a2954fa1e3c07.png

or

grafik.png.5539ab2fd8bb1b859bfb611127e1634b.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Planemo said:

It's only strict in the big cities where enforcement is stronger. Apart from the major 4-5 cities I think you can ride quite freely. But if you attempt to ride during rush hour you'll find it tricky in many more cities.

Some chinese cities have accepted riding (bicycles, electric vehicles, motorcycles), some haven't. If your city has accepted riding you can ride at any time of day. If it's forbidden you have to avoid rush hour.

Then there's the crackdowns. You can ride past police 8 months a year and then suddenly there's that one month they decided to go after riders.

Every city is a bit different.

The law above does not address EUCs directly. It says that EVERYTHING not human powered is illegal unless we say otherwise. Scooters are fine. My EUC is a scooter. My EUC identifies as a scooter. How can anyone say it is not. What is the legal definition of a scooter. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, VikB said:

Ha! Until the police take your EUC and tell you sternly not to ride them!

That would be daylight robbery.. And act against humans rights. :D If you remove "police" part.. F. them.

31 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The law above does not address EUCs directly. It says that EVERYTHING not human powered is illegal unless we say otherwise. Scooters are fine. My EUC is a scooter. My EUC identifies as a scooter. How can anyone say it is not. What is the legal definition of a scooter. 

So now cars also are not allowed? Only if we go "stone age" and use our legs to drive.

image.gif.ebc98ca8dd5d225af804e0e8b54f8e3e.gif

Isn't it against law to presume someone's "gender" he/she/it/them/donkey? Same here my euc are scooter so stfu. :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

It is more of a propaganda network that rots the brain. 

Well that’s an interesting opinion.

I thought it was a great entry. Lots of history, pics. Scooters traditionally have two wheels.

Seems like you are redefining unicycle.

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

Well that’s an interesting opinion.

I thought it was a great entry. Lots of history, pics. Scooters traditionally have two wheels.

Seems like you are redefining unicycle.

I don’t want to redefine Unicycle. What is a scooter. Does it have to have two wheels? No. They make 3 and 4 wheeled work scooters. They make 3 and 4 wheeled handicap scooters. It has been said that i really scoot on that one wheeled contraption. Why is it not a scooter?

Shooter - thing that scoots. 

10 hours ago, RockyTop said:

seems like EUCs don't qualify due to lack of handlebars;)

SECTION 114-E
Electric scooter
Vehicle & Traffic (VAT) CHAPTER 71, TITLE 1, ARTICLE 1
§ 114-e. Electric scooter. Every device weighing less than one hundred
pounds that (a) has handlebars, a floorboard or a seat that can be stood
or sat upon by the operator, and an electric motor, (b) can be powered
by the electric motor and/or human power, and (c) has a maximum speed of
no more than twenty miles per hour on a paved level surface when powered
solely by the electric motor.
Edited by Rikachu
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chanman said:

The electric scooter boom provided a nice legal space to exist in several states where they were popular. Unfortunately the speed and power limits make all but the smallest wheels illegal.

i wonder if the speed refers to the speed claimed by the manufacturer or if the rider can just limit the max speed in the app:efee6b18f3:

19 hours ago, Paul A said:

586776090_ScreenShot2021-08-30at6_19_45P

I know it's easy to just look at a pamphlet. But even though it's from the Department of Transportation, it's not the language of the law.

That's not to say police officer will not issue you a ticket because they think something. But if you want to fight the ticket, the judge must look at the actual laws, ordinances, and the vehicle and traffic codes.

That's as far as I know, and I don't know everything. If someone knows otherwise do correct me.

Edited by Rikachu
  • Like 1

Yes, DOT ruling doesn't seem to have been tested in court. 

CBS New York article from 1 September, 2015.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/motorized-unicycles-legality-confusion/

Legality Question About Motorized Unicycles Causes Confusion

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- There are more people, bicycles and cars in New York City than ever before, but one new form of transportation has been causing confusion.

As CBS2's Meg Baker reported, motorized unicycles are taking over the streets.

But are the quirky conveyances allowed? The NYPD says no.

The unicycles fall under Hoverboard and Segway categories and are not legal in New York City, just like e-bikes and electric scooters.

But CBS2 spoke to all sorts of authorities who are supposed to enforce the rule, and they seemed confused themselves.

"We don't know – new technology. We don't know," one officer said.

Another officer said the motorized unicycles are allowed in the park, and a third said they are allowed in general.

But according to the city Department of Transportation, "motorized self-balancing devices, such as Segways and other 'personal transporters,' are prohibited in New York City."

It is up to the NYPD, however, to enforce.

William Kenyon is the creator of the motorized unicycle – known as the Jetson Wheel – an electric personal transport device. He sells for $900, and he said he can ride it anywhere.

He said he has even sold a few to police officers in his neighborhood for personal use.

"I sold a couple to maybe, like 30 police officers," Kenyon said.

But according to the NYPD, personal transport devices cannot be registered with the state Department of Motor Vehicles, and therefore are illegal.

Police can give people a ticket for riding a motorized unicycle, but the NYPD said it is unsure how the law is being enforced or if any violations have been written.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:47 PM, Rikachu said:

I know it's easy to just look at a pamphlet. But even though it's from the Department of Transportation, it's not the language of the law.

That's not to say police officer will not issue you a ticket because they think something. But if you want to fight the ticket, the judge must look at the actual laws, ordinances, and the vehicle and traffic codes.

That's as far as I know, and I don't know everything. If someone knows otherwise do correct me.

The bureaucrats can interpret the laws, and this document is considered valid until a court throws it out. Government policies are based on the law.