Incredibly bad look for this community.

Roadpower

48 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Until he does, I can explain how I read it. I read no critique in the sentence either. To me it was only stating the fact that EUC rider’s gear up because they acknowledge that there is a risk of crashing despite rider skill and experience. To me it is just describing why we do gear up.

Absolutely. I think it has been clear a few dozen pages ago already that this thread will definitely not reach any kind of conclusion.

Whoever wishes to start new topics on the mentioned individual points (or any other) are free and encouraged to do so. Moderatively splitting and organizing the existing posts of this thread would do more harm than good, and for a wildly incoherent thread like this it would also be an extremely laborious thing to do.

You know, I’m good with it. I think the placement of the video (ebiker criticizing armored up EUC riders, but not for being armored up) associated with his post prepped me to expect a negative intemperate meaning. Anyhow, I’m over it. Thanks!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

Came back to this thread and find it has nothing to do with the original post.Time to close it and or delete it?

Admins, let’s close this thread. End this thread, end this thread, end this thread!!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Every time I go out riding my wife says " don't get killed"

My wife says: "Watch out for the elderly folk.."
We both worked among em and we joke about it, but as "stereotype" they can be sometimes the worst. Refering to some "Crusaders" against everything moving faster than they do, that particular public opinion seems important to community. All new things go through the shredder of public "piss and poo throwing". Strange enough the opinions of those who do not ride, seems to/or could matter more than ours in the end.

Riding any PEV seems to come with responsibility. This whole post is full of arguments that can be used as "weapons" against EUC-devices and rider behaviour as whole, as others/some could view this as "odd-thing". There are plenty of industry out there who also wanna prove a point  that these should be banned, just as it is in Holland. The country has perfect infrastructure for this device yet banned. Why? Because none defended against arguments like "Not safe, unregulated, marginal". The companies that keep building parking space for bicycles were happy. The ton of lobbying force shaked hands and were like, "That was so easy, like taking a lolly from baby.. These EUC-fellas got no-one talking for em." Put your money where your mouth is, (the money you cannot get insurance maybe?), spend it to lobbying force toward your EUC. Group up and try to get voice out there, that would help your cause, just my thoughts reading this topic.

I for one think some rule knowledge is a must. And my viewpoint comes from my local area where anyone, without any prior knowledge can get to bicycling-lane and ride. And as these lanes get crowded the risks increase them being narrow and poorly maintained. The speed difference of multiple travelers also increase change of accidents. Crossing areas are potential risk to lose life. Things get fixed but it takes time, meanwhile we gotta live with the bubblegum fixes in place.

• Like 2

As worldwide community there would be enough of us to fund any singular battle to get us heard for sure. Just what I been calculating.

If you take one local area and try to organize the few, that is a different case.

Also protesting is not bad, I cheer for em to be clear (just doubt it not being alone effective). In Holland they have been adviced not to bring any device there or they will be taken away. So no riding in the protest, as they did last time?

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tasku said:

Also protesting is not bad, just not alone effective. In Holland they have been adviced not to bring any device there or they will be taken away. So no riding in the protest, as they did last time?

I don't know, I live in Belgium and I heard about the protest in 2 Dutch videos about PEV's but I don't know more specifics. I am curious how big it will be though, and if anything will come from it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tasku said:

My wife says: "Watch out for the elderly folk.."
We both worked among em and we joke about it, but as "stereotype" they can be sometimes the worst. Refering to some "Crusaders" against everything moving faster than they do, that particular public opinion seems important to community. All new things go through the shredder of public "piss and poo throwing". Strange enough the opinions of those who do not ride, seems to/or could matter more than ours in the end.

Riding any PEV seems to come with responsibility. This whole post is full of arguments that can be used as "weapons" against EUC-devices and rider behaviour as whole, as others/some could view this as "odd-thing". There are plenty of industry out there who also wanna prove a point  that these should be banned, just as it is in Holland. The country has perfect infrastructure for this device yet banned. Why? Because none defended against arguments like "Not safe, unregulated, marginal". The companies that keep building parking space for bicycles were happy. The ton of lobbying force shaked hands and were like, "That was so easy, like taking a lolly from baby.. These EUC-fellas got no-one talking for em." Put your money where your mouth is, (the money you cannot get insurance maybe?), spend it to lobbying force toward your EUC. Group up and try to get voice out there, that would help your cause, just my thoughts reading this topic.

I for one think some rule knowledge is a must. And my viewpoint comes from my local area where anyone, without any prior knowledge can get to bicycling-lane and ride. And as these lanes get crowded the risks increase them being narrow and poorly maintained. The speed difference of multiple travelers also increase change of accidents. Crossing areas are potential risk to lose life. Things get fixed but it takes time, meanwhile we gotta live with the bubblegum fixes in place.

I always suspected the bike lobby in Holland was behind the ban. 

1 hour ago, winterwheel said:

How dare you reference my favorite bit of literature... :D

At the risk of re-starting something, my point of view is actually fairly simple.

Wheels start out as an experiment / hobby / toy for a small number of tinkerers, mostly us older folk with time and money to waste on apparently frivolous projects. We are coming to the end of this time.

Now we have a wide spectrum of wheels that can ride comfortably in many situations - from an MTen3 as an awesome mobility device in a large indoor space, to  Monster Pro or Sherman than ride with cars and and travel modestly spaced cities if needed.

But the tinkerers are not the ones to fit wheels into society. That's left to the next generation. The next generation are the ones to push the tech into all the little nooks and crannies of society to see how and where it fits, how it can actually be applied to a modern world. They have the bravery to ride in traffic (I do this as much as I can, but it's not for the faint of heart), and the ability to push boundaries past the conventional norms to see how they can actually be useful. We are just entering this phase.

The eventual third phase is where everybody rides the devices produced by the tinkerers, on the roads paved by a second generation of risk takers.

I see the people here as the tinkerers trying to skip phase 2 to go directly to the third phase of mass adoption. This isn't possible because we/they don't have the chutzpah to push wheeling into unexpected places to see what is possible, we/they are bound too much by the need to follow the rules, such as they are, of the place we live in today.

As always, these views are my own, not expecting to convince anybody of anything. This is merely to inform those who care why I hold the views I do.

I agree 99%  Yet the bigger cites are moving at a much faster pace. The medium sized cities are just getting started (10 -15 people out of 400,000). And @ShanesPlanet is just one guy out in the country .........   Most people I meet have still never heard of EUCs including a guy on a one wheel and another on a mini segway.  Yet I still agree.  I just hope that the EUC does not fall into the condemned class that the skateboard has been held in for the last 60 years.   

• Like 3

3 hours ago, winterwheel said:

How dare you reference my favorite bit of literature... :D

At the risk of re-starting something, my point of view is actually fairly simple.

Wheels start out as an experiment / hobby / toy for a small number of tinkerers, mostly us older folk with time and money to waste on apparently frivolous projects. We are coming to the end of this time.

Now we have a wide spectrum of wheels that can ride comfortably in many situations - from an MTen3 as an awesome mobility device in a large indoor space, to  Monster Pro or Sherman than ride with cars and and travel modestly spaced cities if needed.

But the tinkerers are not the ones to fit wheels into society. That's left to the next generation. The next generation are the ones to push the tech into all the little nooks and crannies of society to see how and where it fits, how it can actually be applied to a modern world. They have the bravery to ride in traffic (I do this as much as I can, but it's not for the faint of heart), and the ability to push boundaries past the conventional norms to see how they can actually be useful. We are just entering this phase.

The eventual third phase is where everybody rides the devices produced by the tinkerers, on the roads paved by a second generation of risk takers.

I see the people here as the tinkerers trying to skip phase 2 to go directly to the third phase of mass adoption. This isn't possible because we/they don't have the chutzpah to push wheeling into unexpected places to see what is possible, we/they are bound too much by the need to follow the rules, such as they are, of the place we live in today.

As always, these views are my own, not expecting to convince anybody of anything. This is merely to inform those who care why I hold the views I do.

Support the Brave; push out the “Karens”.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I agree 99%  Yet the bigger cites are moving at a much faster pace. The medium sized cities are just getting started (10 -15 people out of 400,000). And @ShanesPlanet is just one guy out in the country .........   Most people I meet have still never heard of EUCs including a guy on a one wheel and another on a mini segway.  Yet I still agree.  I just hope that the EUC does not fall into the condemned class that the skateboard has been held in for the last 60 years.   

@ShanesPlanet is just one guy out in the country... Because everyone is afraid of getting close to him 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 3