WARNING!!! Recent Spate of Cracked/Faulty Rims including the New Wider Rim!

fbhb

• fbhb changed the title to WARNING!!! Recent Spate of Cracked/Faulty Rims including the New Wider Rim!
  • Chriull pinned this topic
54 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Shocking! Imagine riding on that! For those cracks to be on an unused rim I wonder how it happened. Mis-matched thermal contraction after moulding? Or simply down to the cheesanium used?

It's always really dis-heartening to see these obvious manufacturing QC issues slip through the net and into customers hands. At this stage it is not clear how far reaching this issue is as these incidents are reports on Telegram from just the last couple of days and others may still come to light.

Hopefully no one ends up in an accident due to being unaware of the huge risk of failure these faulty rims will be prone to, so this topic will be helpful in getting the word out.

21 minutes ago, Simply_Striking said:

Link to group please, mine should be enroute.

@Simply_Striking Here is the link to the Telegram group: ENG Veteran Sherman owners

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Topkek said:

Gonna check it now.  I’m on version 1 and always treated it like a chocolate wheel. 

Very wise, please report back to let others get an idea how version 1 and version 2 rims out here are fairing?

Received my Sherman a few days ago from the latest batch and the wheel seems to be ok thankfully. Though obviously there is no way to check the inside of the wheel without stripping it all down. 

The fact these are leaving the factory like this though is disgraceful. You can't tell me that some of the worst cases weren't spotted when the tyre was being fitted? 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, another Sherman owner running on the New wider 60mm RIM has posted a video on Telegram today having a huge chunk of material snapped off:

This is beginning to get very worrying and has definitely put my thoughts of upgrading to the wider 60mm RIM on hold until we get some clarity on Veteran's response to these issues!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Unfortunately, another Sherman owner running on the New wider 60mm RIM has posted a video on Telegram today having a huge chunk of material snapped off:

This is beginning to get very worrying and has definitely put my thoughts of upgrading to the wider 60mm RIM on hold until we get some clarity on Veteran's response to these issues!

:o:shock2::shock2:

I notice the Clark pads fitted, what was the lead up to this incident? Any jumps involved? Not saying it's an excuse, a rim shouldn't do this anyway, but just trying to ascertain if it occurred during 'normal' riding. Thankfully it didn't look like it caused a crash, is the guy OK?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I notice the Clark pads fitted, what was the lead up to this incident? Any jumps involved? Not saying it's an excuse, a rim shouldn't do this anyway, but just trying to ascertain if it occurred during 'normal' riding. Thankfully it didn't look like it caused a crash, is the guy OK?

This only got posted a little earlier today and so far the OP has not made any further comment (there was nothing in writing by the OP, just the video), but speculation is now running away with peoples suggestions around Low pressure - but I'm not convinced of that at this stage.

If I hear anything further on Telegram I will update this topic, especially if the OP comes back with some solid background details.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

This is no longer even mildly amusing. My RS has some issues (another thread.) I knew that the older Sherman's had tire problems, so I ordered one from a Canadian seller that is due to land in Canada this week (read it should have the most recent firmware and a new rim.) I bought this because I didn't want anymore hollow bore bearings, worrying about rain, and the likes. And now I see this thread?

I'm going to hope that my Sherman is delivered problem free and that I avoid issues.  I know I am over reacting. But I have a RS sitting on my office floor waiting for parts and I don't need (nor do I have room for) a second wheel to sit in pieces in my office. So far, I have not even taken delivery. But this was supposed to be my bullet proof wheel. Maybe I can still hope?

*It probably does not help that I literally just ordered it today...

Edited by DWOTR

Hoping these are just a couple isolated incidences. I've ordered my Sherman and will be doing my own QC once it arrives. If I see anything having to do with the new wider rim, I'll report it back here. I know two others getting their Sherman around the same time I do so I can do an update for at least 3 wheels total. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I commented on a SpeedyFeet video where @Jonathan Whalley cracked his Sherman rim and going down stairs was described as the likely cause:

What I said:

4:44: it turns out that as identified recently in user groups a non-negligible amount of customers, since the early Sherman days have received defective rims and still are now (even as replacement) with the wider 60mm version.
Jonathan didn't think that his practice did would break the rim, and maybe he was right in case, and the rim had a manufacturing defect.

Answer from SpeedyFeet:

In terms of our experience, we have had zero warranty/faults with any of the Shermans we have sold since release...this is the first with a rim failure.

I'm sure SpeedyFeet sold a fair amount of Sherman, so it gives a sense of how frequent the issue can be.

The video:

Mine looks OK but checked only indor when i go to direct sun and find some problem i put here pictures.

• Like 1