Gotway EX.N - speed version - no suspension

EMA

22 hours ago, AtlasP said:

*insert gif of Gotway in fetal position rocking back and forth while looking at a spreadsheet of 15 new variations on the same ugly MSX shell*

that was fun :D

but thanks god we have this shell :wub:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, Nick McCutcheon said:

Good point, I have noticed the Sherman speed is pretty inflated compared to GPS speeds. If the EX speed is more true to life, it could dethrone the Sherman as the speed king along with Monster Pro!

6% slower if you use the eucworld correction, but that’s based off a 1hz receiver so real world difference is probably 3-4% slower. 

For reference, Gotways (sans the Nikola) also reports higher than actual speeds. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 4:39 AM, buell47 said:

I'm interested in EX.N with 2700wh and RS Torque motor

I'm personally experienced with the type of riding were 100V C30 is insufficient and C38 is necessary (in brief: hilly black-diamond singletrack for 200lb riders) ...
but you're asking for that kind of (aggressive offroad) terrain with even more range? And with the penalty of even more weight?

In my experience 1800wh in a suspensionless EUC provides at least 3 hours of such challenging riding, after which even the most seasoned riders' legs are fatigued from shock absorption. Battery range has only been a limit for on-road travel.
Weight is awful for hopping the inevitable fallen logs.

You own an MSP C38...
Could you help me understand- what type of riding do you encounter where C30 is insufficient?

I want the EX as being produced right now just without the suspension. I ride in the Santa Cruz Mountain Range and lower foothills where the slopes can be short and choppy with lots of tight turns and also long straight aways and long steep inclines. The MSP-HT is amazingly up to the challenge! It is one thing to experience its acceleration on flat ground in the city (which is its own thrill), but the high torque motor's strength is instantly apparent in the mountains where I can easily ride wildly fast for 2 hours and still come back home at 45% under load. In the mountains it's better to measure time not distance in riding. Flat, fast riding definitely eats the battery faster on high torque motors.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

6% slower if you use the eucworld correction, but that’s based off a 1hz receiver so real world difference is probably 3-4% slower.

Are you telling us now that you are not able to keep the speed for more than one second?

:rolleyes:

Sounds more like Sherman Fanboy world instead of real world. :whistling:

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

Do you have a special question I can help you with, or do you just want to know why I have certain preferences? :confused1:

The second one :)

I'm personally interested in all the situations where C38 is warranted, especially as a basis to answer questions like "buy HT, or HS?" (which comes up frequently).

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

Are you telling us now that you are not able to keep the speed for more than one second?

:rolleyes:

Sounds more like Sherman Fanboy world instead of real world. :whistling:

no what it means is the refresh rate of a phone GPS won’t ever record the highest point of any particular speed, and picks intervals of 1hz (1 second)

Not sure how I’m a Veteran fanboy when I’ve owned an MCM5, Mten3, Monster and Nikola, with a Monster Pro on order. Sounds like an ignoramus who don’t understand the shortcomings of a 1hz GPS. 

1 hour ago, RagingGrandpa said:

The second one :)

I'm personally interested in all the situations where C38 is warranted, especially as a basis to answer questions like "buy HT, or HS?" (which comes up frequently).

HT or HS is not about what a wheel can do or not becouse they can do all, no doubt, it's about rider preference. All 84v wheels like mcm5 and tesla can do all the hills you want, expecially the evergreen 84v msx. 100v wheels has a bit more...

pick HT or HS thinking about your usual speed-range and your environment, flat or not ;)

@buell47 explain the difference really well imho !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying W said:

Here's a use case that may only apply to very small group of idiots like me.

I use the wheel to push a stroller. My one year has gone on way longer adventures than I ever could if I was trying to walk or jog. The extra weight of jogging stroller combined with the hilly area I live in males the extra torque appreciated. Especially going down hill trying to stop. 

Slowing the whole rig down from 20mph down hill needs the extra torque. 

My wife doesn't think there are too many others as stupid as I am to do what me and the one yr old boy do but he loves it, he giggles and he also has no clue what will happen if we eat do do.

He also gets pissed at walking speed now hahaha

I do the same (stroller for 16 month old), but just on city streets so far. The stroller I use is a Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle (3 wheel). I use my KS16X. I started with Mten3 and stroller, but had a brown-out trying to go over a crease in the sidewalk from a stand-still. I then tried my KS16S and that was much better but that wheel makes a high-pitch whine that bothered me and the tire is a little paltry for me and the stroller. The KS16X is perfect. Very maneuverable at low speed (I only go between 8 and 10 mph on the sidewalk), dead silent, big planted tire, and the firmware is incredible with stiff pedals and no vibration at very low speed, but high torque situations.

I love to take the KS16X into the mountains (without the stroller) because its so quiet, but 25mph is the realistic performance limit of that wheel. The sound is a big deal to me and all the video's of the EX seem to show a silent motor and tire combination. If I could combine the low-end performance of the KS16X and the high-end performance of the MSP-HT and add a few more miles to the range and top speed, I would think/hope that would have been the EX-N.

• Like 3

@Michael Tucker8 to 10mph is my normal cruise speed too. I wish I was a kid now! Best stroller rides ever 🙂

I also used a 16s for a while, then started using an mcm5. Tried with the RS HT today. The RS needs power pad to stop as good as the mcm5. It's so much larger that it can hot the back of the stroller if breaking hard. 

I can't wait to wheel with him though like Brandon and how Dad. 

Nice stroller you have there!

• Like 1

Could be a typo but there’s 4 reputable AliExpress dealers listing the EXN with the 3500W hollow core motor vs it reportedly having the 2600W from the RS. 

C$ 3,158.76 | 2021 GotWay EX.N Electric Unicycle 100V/2700WH 3500W Hollow motor Monowheel No-load speed 86km/h Duty Free Max speed 60km/h EXN
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPZHJk9

9 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

and

The motor of the 3500W motor in EX and Monster is definitely different than the RS spec. In tear down videos it has alot more copper.  If the EXN is simply a suspensionless EX then it would be a “baby torquier sherman” vs an expanded battery RS as your specs show. 

On 12/5/2020 at 2:26 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

If you trust the pictures, you can see from the rim that it is an RS motor. The RS motor is a "16 inch" motor and has the rim ring to expand to "18 inch" size, just like on the RS. The EX motor is a genuine "18 inch" motor (it also has 40mm wide and more magnets).

So this is an expanded RS.

Not sure why they didn't just use the EX motor, it seems to be pretty nice going by the suspension-EX reviews.

I'm also puzzled why they prioritize this over the Monster Pro.

One of the retailers on AliExpress messaged me back. They confirmed the $3100 Cdn EXN listed is with the EX/Monster 3500w motor and not the RS motor.  They currently list it with EX photos. $800cdn less than the EX. 

edit - they messaged back saying sorry, its 2800w motor.  ok still a decent wheel if the price is right. 

Edited by Kekafuch
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:20 AM, Kekafuch said:

Could be a typo but there’s 4 reputable AliExpress dealers listing the EXN with the 3500W hollow core motor vs it reportedly having the 2600W from the RS. 

C$ 3,158.76 | 2021 GotWay EX.N Electric Unicycle 100V/2700WH 3500W Hollow motor Monowheel No-load speed 86km/h Duty Free Max speed 60km/h EXN
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPZHJk9

EX.N specs from Official Begode website: http://www.begode.com/productinfo/557433.html

It is NOT 3500w motor for sure, but 2800w as you found out.  The Chicway Store on AliExpress got many things wrong on their EX.N page... including the no load speed, which should be 105 kph...