Gotway EX.N - speed version - no suspension

EMA

9 hours ago, HighEndScooters said:

Can someone list what the difference is with version 3 EXN please and when we're they released? 

Will the EXN torque be a version 3 wheel? 

Would love to see internal pictures if anybody had a EXN V3? 

Thanks in advance for any assistance 

what do you need to know ? latest batch is with :

smaller bearing, different heat dissipation and fan positioning, dual charging port (no usb) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EMA said:

what do you need to know ? latest batch is with :

smaller bearing, different heat dissipation and fan positioning, dual charging port (no usb) 

I got the EXN Torque coming next month.  I just wanted to know if the torque is the latest batch and was interested to see what the changes would be.  The new heat sink is it an improvement over the previous version? 

2 hours ago, HighEndScooters said:

I got the EXN Torque coming next month.  I just wanted to know if the torque is the latest batch and was interested to see what the changes would be.  The new heat sink is it an improvement over the previous version? 

you'll have the latest batch, the new heat sink is a bit better (but with the torque motor you'll never overheat anyway ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good Morning
Good Afternoon
Good Evening depending on which part of the world your from.

I have finally got time to ride my exn torque as it arrived last month with knobby tyre, I d like to know what tyre pressure riders of 14 stones 10lbs (4kg)  or (206 lbs) stones or heavier are using as I can't figure out if it's my disgust for a knobby tyre when street riding or if I have too much pressure in the tyre I started at 30 p.s.i as finished at 27p.s.i within my 15 minute ride. 

I have a street tyre which I will fit when I get time just wanted to fast track my understanding of this wheel as I won't get to ride it for now too much work and exams keeping my head busy in the books lol

Also like to hear people's opinion on medium mode vs hard mode on this wheel? 

Thanks for all comments and answers in advance.

Andrew6ft2

• 1 month later...

What are people doing to waterproof the EX.N for rain riding? Mine is coming within a week and I am coming from RS-T.

On the RS I have drilled drain holes in the case (4 each side), added additional conformal coating on the control board (esp at base of connectors), sealed motor center hole in the case on both sides, added transmission sealant at the control board heat sink gasket that was leaking. Curious how many of these items are applicable for EX.N since I will be opening it up soon to make the necessary changes. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, windowmaker said:

What are people doing to waterproof the EX.N for rain riding? Mine is coming within a week and I am coming from RS-T.

On the RS I have drilled drain holes in the case (4 each side), added additional conformal coating on the control board (esp at base of connectors), sealed motor center hole in the case on both sides, added transmission sealant at the control board heat sink gasket that was leaking. Curious how many of these items are applicable for EX.N since I will be opening it up soon to make the necessary changes. 

Like on your Rs and you could be inspired by these videos if you had missed something, waterprooof is more detailed on the Rs video but is applicable on Exn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0enQeiIV-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeQg3Ty_z5I

Edited by Bizra6ot
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 2:28 AM, Bizra6ot said:

Like on your Rs and you could be inspired by these videos if you had missed something, waterprooof is more detailed on the Rs video but is applicable on Exn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0enQeiIV-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeQg3Ty_z5I

Thanks. I've done the overhaul and have taken it on the first maiden voyage. 29 miles no problem aside from a strange clunking when pivoting, which is easier to hear at low speed. Might be from the clark pedals, hope not from loose pedal hangers (which I did not unbolt but neglected to check whether they were tight).

My next pursuits are getting a seat and the display screen I've seen people add aftermarket, similar to the one you find stock on V3+ RS. Trying to find which US dealers carry this screen. 

• Like 1

Are all EX.N using the same newer motors with smaller dimension bearings?

Do EX.N suffer from battery fires as much as Nikola/RS?

Can the torque version safely do 60km/h without beeping?

How's stopping on an EX.N? Is the stopping distance crap compared to other 18in wheels?

9 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Are all EX.N using the same newer motors with smaller dimension bearings? yes this is the case on the latest version EXN Torque

Ive never seen an exn on fire or heard one go on fire. 

I have the torque version and I never ever look at screen so cannot tell you my top speed but others have told me they reached 45-48mph depending on weight and battery status. 

The stopping distance is banging as long as you can also perform a good emergency stop as the weight of the wheel needs to be tamed at least this was the case for me. 

9 hours ago, alcatraz said:

How's stopping on an EX.N? Is the stopping distance crap compared to other 18in wheels?

• Like 1

I never buy new wheels because where I live people give up on riding a loooot and selling new machines basically. 😁 There's a good chance I'll find a first generation for sale. I wonder if they have the smaller bearings?

First gen EX.N were all HS weren't they? HT are all "newer" with smaller bearings then probably. (plausible?)

Edited by alcatraz

18 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Are all EX.N using the same newer motors with smaller dimension bearings?

All new ones are using the smaller bearings. I haven't heard of a EX.N fire but it will happen at some point after a lithium cell becomes deformed from a crash. The packs aren't tightly secured. Cells that have had high amp draw are put at a higher risk of fire and with a greater number of cells compared to Nikola/MSP/RS (noted fires) the EX(N) faces less risk, reducing the trickle damage from peak charge/discharge. 

Took another few rides and noticed this wheel is very easy to overpower compared to my C38 RS. Lurching forward and backwards is a good way of telling the reserve power available in the case of a bump, and what I'm experiencing is not confidence inspiring.

Demonstrating to a group of folks I was riding with, stopping from 20mph in wall sit posture, the wheel makes a bearing grind & lurch back about 20 degrees then rebounds as I let off in panic. I can reproduce the issue with a semi-hard pendulum motion. The same is possible with a forward lurch.

Scanning briefly in the forum it may be related to newer black boards, or the firmware it's running? I got the Alien Rides new small bearing batch and am curious whether I need to update the firmware, or if anything can be done about this. I am constantly anxious about over braking and cutting out.

There is no unusual bearing behavior when riding gently. 

6 hours ago, windowmaker said:

EX.N HS
bearing grind [sound] with a semi-hard pendulum motion
it may be related to newer black boards, or the firmware it's running?

The sound is motor noise with very high current. It's normal, and has been present for all C30 motors since their introduction.
As an example (first few seconds of vid), the motor stator makes noise on its own, without a spinning rotor installed.
(It's not related to the bearings.)

Just the limitation of the HS motor. Sherman is the same story. Be gentle.
Enjoy your RS C38 when you want sudden acceleration :)

• Like 2

The other day I was testing dual charging using stock 3A & variable 2-6-8A charger, hoping to do 11A. I've charged the 1800Wh RS at 8A with no issues, so assumed the EX.N 2700Wh would fare fine at 12A.

It appears the BMS shuts off accepting charge in this realm. 3A+6A works, 3A+8A shuts off charging. My guess is the EX.N limit is 10A now? Has anyone gone beyond this?

Thanks.

https://ibb.co/3NNyhhB

https://ibb.co/1TbV1wM

Edited by windowmaker

12 hours ago, windowmaker said:

EX.N 2700Wh

limit is 10A now?

Quite likely... when was your EX.N manufactured?

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/18374-how-bms-works-gotway-pack-teardown/?do=findComment&comment=390356

Supposedly, Gotway is reducing its BMS charging current limit settings.

Below claims the new 900wh 100V modules will now permit only 3A each.

It would suck to not be able to use our popular 900w chargers on 1800wh wheels like Hero and RS :(
There were occasional reports of overheated and charred BMS charge-stop FETs in some RS and MSP though...
perhaps this is the response.

EUC.SALE - Important information regarding new BEGODE PRODUCTS.
Due last safety updates to the all new BEGODE wheels like RS, EXN, TESLA, HERO, COMMANDER and etc.
NEW protection board was added to the every Battery pack.

Please note: 900wh, 100V battery pack have max charging current limit 3A.

Example
BEGODE RS have 2x900wh, total 1800wh. Max charging curent 6A!!!!
EXN - 9A
Monster PRO, Commander 12A.

Charging with more then rated, can damage Battery pack and will be not allow by battery protection system.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/posts/4440719026026026/

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Quite likely... when was your EX.N manufactured?

I received it Dec 24th from Alien Rides, not sure of date of manufacture. Sucks they limited it like this, guess it's not the worst thing and would reduce fire risk for future wheels, especially in used market. King Song had limited charge rate to a conservative limit for their wheels - 5A for 18XL if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...